• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buy stuff?

• The cheapest

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Cheap but not the cheapest

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • Goldilocks option

Votes: 56 39.7%
  • Little pricey

Votes: 42 29.8%
  • As much money as they'll take

Votes: 11 7.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
You've got a bunch of options laid out before on Amazon or some retailer. Do you splurge on the expensive version hoping you'll get quality or get the cheapest and hope it's okay.

I've gotten burned too much buying the cheapest so I usually something that is cheap but not the cheapest.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Almost never go for the cheapest option if the second cheapest option has any kind of advantage. Similarly almost never go for the most expensive option if the second most expensive seems adequate for what I need. A lot of places have a bad value for money most expensive option specially targeting people with money to burn.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Disposable / one time use stuff, maybe go a little cheaper, but long term use, I don't mind paying more for quality.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Really depends on what we're talking about. If I'm buying a computer that I'll be using all the time, I'll go for a higher end model. If I'm buying, I don't know, a stud finder that I'm going to use twice per year when hanging a picture, I'll go cheaper.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Generally my family operates on a "second best is best" mentality. We don't get the most expensive class of anything, but we usually get the next best thing.

Dec 2, 2017
It depends on what, but generally, I'd rather save up for say, a really nice tv or pair of headphones than compromise and get a cheaper pair that aren't as good.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I avoid cheapest, but won't bother with most expensive. Usually aim for a middle option.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
All depends.

I'm generally a buy it for life kind of person. I don't like the idea of disposable consumerism.

That said, there are plenty of items you just don't need to last. Specific tool for a repair I'll only do once? Cheap. Gear for a new hobby that I'm not sure I'll stick with? Not the cheapest, but something entry. Really depends.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Depends entirely on what it is. There are so many variables tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I conduct a cost-benefit analysis. For many things, buying the more expensive option saves me a lot of money in the long-run. This takes into account build quality, time saved from not having to replace, money saved from not having to replace, overall satisfaction, and a billion other variables. With something like a kitchen appliance, an iPhone, headphones, or a TV, I usually opt for a more expensive option if feasible.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I tend towards pricey on big ticket items and goldilocks for the rest.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
While "depends" is essentially the correct answer here, as a rule of thumb I'll go for the "model" that is one grade below the most expensive. If there are 5 models, I'll for for #4 (where 5 is the most expensive, 1 is the least expensive). Generally, the highest price item, while better, usually results in diminishing returns.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I'll almost never buy the cheapest option since I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for, but where the ideal spending amount is varies per item.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Tins of chopped tomatoes, baked beans, most fruit and vegetables, pulses, grains, rice etc etc - cheapest all the way. They're just ingredients, try to get the best price you can for bulk

Microwave/ready meals are usually pretty gross unless you buy the fancy ones, so I tend to wait until they are price-reduced/about to expire then freeze them

Hardware and technology I tend to buy something relatively expensive to future-proof myself and ensure I own something durable/not built-to-break

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It depends. Am I buying bungee chords or cheese?

Because I don't play when it comes to cheese.

TauraMelchior

Banned
Jan 12, 2021
Generally my family operates on a "second best is best" mentality. We don't get the most expensive class of anything, but we usually get the next best thing.

I agree with this.

With almost everything, there is a place on the bell curve where you get the most value. Going past this usually means a drastic increase in price vs a marginal increase in quality/performance/etc.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
there are so many things that you truly get what you pay for.

Most Clothes, but specifically shoes. You can buy practically monthly shoes for $20-40 that you wear through practically immediately (and hurt your posture and feet) OR you spend $110-200 on a really well put together shoe that lasts for years (and help with posture, gait and arches).

For some things, cheap doesn't bother me, but I tend to buy the more expensive option if presented.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I consider the value more than the price for most things I purchase.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. I almost never go for the cheapest option as that is mostly the worst option.
The most expensive option is mostly for dumb people who have no idea they are paying way too much.
I want quality for a reasonable price. And in most cases that is possible. As long as you have some time to search.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what I'm buying. Research it on quality/performance vs price. Usually not the cheapest nor the most expensive option.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
My last two cars purchased new, I went with the base model. My future purchase will be middle of the road with features.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Depends, if I can get close to the same quality of premium for a cheaper price, then I'm willing to go the cheaper route.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Totally depends on the item and my needs. Sometimes I go with the absolute cheapest option and sometimes I go more expensive routes.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I try to do research but if it's inconclusive, I tend to go with not the most expensive, but maybe second or third... in other words, not the most expensive, but also not the least

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I pay as much as I am hoping to get out of something.

There is no point in buying something for 5 bucks that I'm going to need to buy 45 replacements for. It is too much hassle. But I also am not buying premium gear or whatever off amazon. So when doing most of my shopping, I tend to lean on the expensive-but-not-most-expensive side.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I try to purchase the most expensive item before the giant price jump. So basically the high end of mid tier or bottom of higher tier.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
If I can go low, I go low. I have a $12 wireless mouse for my PC, has the little fancy buttons on the side. Has worked fine for three years now.

When it comes to things that might be around longer and spending more can make sure they last longer, or I've been burned on them before, I'll spend more.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I probably lean a little bit higher tier than I did in years past. That said, it's entirely dependent on what it is.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The cheapest tends to feel cheap, and the most expensive like it's for nerds. Both of questionable value.
I tend to go above what's considered the medium for consumer grade stuff.
With five options ordered from low to high price I'll typically go 3-4, depending on things.

I don't just hope that a particular item will be quality though, I do research first, check reviews and impressions, weigh and consider and contrast all the various features, drawbacks and their likely impact on and significance for my use case between the available options etc. Then I hope.