• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is something I picked up in Europe and it's amazing. A thin layer of salted butter to a ham and cheese sandwich adds a lot.

However, if you mention this to most Americans, they scoff at it. What the heck lol. Mayo is basically veggie (non-vegan) butter, as it is an oil and egg emulsion with spices and it dominates sandwiches in the US.

Do you butter your sandwiches?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only if it's melted butter (like a grilled cheese sandwich) otherwise it's kind of gross and unnecessary.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Absolutely - there are certain sandwich exceptions for it though.

I wouldn't butter a BLT for instance.

Also here's a free tip I picked up: Always buy unsalted butter and add your own salt as necessary. Unsalted butter will always be fresher than salted since it acts as a preservative.

(There's exceptions to be rule too but it's all down to knowing what you're buying. If you're a general consumer buying butter at a supermarket though, go unsalted.)

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
is country crock horrible? its all i know
Sweet summer child lol. Not joking? That's not butter. It's a "buttery" spread. It's made with vegetable oil, not cream. It's awful.

But those dominate most supermarkets, so I don't blame you. Land O'Lakes is a decent supermarket butter.

Kerry Gold is really good, but not in many supermarkets.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The new EU versus USA culture war? Not kettles anymore, but buttering sandwiches lol.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I'm American and I do think it's common where I grew up, but it's not unheard of. A lot of older folks seem to do it. I remember my grandparents buttering up sandwiches.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
What on Earth.

I think Americans have gone too far with the fancy sandwiches if they can't appreciate a simple cold slice of cheese between two cold, buttered slices of bread.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet summer child lol. Not joking? That's not butter. It's a "buttery" spread. It's made with vegetable oil, not cream. It's awful.
my life is a lie. i was raised on it and never questioned it.
tenor.gif

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Of course you put butter wtf. Tastes much better with good quality buttah.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The only things Americans butter up on is bacon.

Butter actually got hit with bad PR due to the war on fat pseudoscience of the 70s and 80s. Margarine alternatives started to dominate.

It's only recently that butter is starting to get accepted again. But the damage is done. You put butter on anything and people say you're clogging your arteries and what not.

Not to mention that many of the margarine spreads were awful tasting, so many people confused that with butter.

Did that happen in the EU?

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the kind of thing where if it was an American thing instead of a European thing, the conversation would just be lol Americans are fat

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
my life is a lie. i was raised on it and never questioned it.
tenor.gif
Ah. We're in the same boat. Country Crock was a mainstay in my home all my life, it was only until recently I discovered there's a reason it's referred to as "a spread" and not butter on the packaging. Still, it ain't bad on white toast.

The only time I ever use real butter is when I make grilled cheese or when baking.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking about making a similar thread a while ago. Yep this is a thing in the EU but it's nowhere to be found in the US. I used to do it but stopped for whatever reason.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
User warned: derogatory language surrounding bodyshaming
No I also don't put mayonaise on it. Just bread and a topping. If you need butter you have poor toppings or poor bread and are most likely a lardass.

Edit: sorry if that pun offended people

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I always butter my sandwhiches, it's way too dry otherwise and my sprinkles won't stick to the bread either.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
this explains why Americans cant appreciate a nice cheese sandwich, they were doing it butterless