• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think?

• I believe I have way better morals than average

Votes: 134 16.1%
  • I believe I have better morals than average

Votes: 288 34.6%
  • My morals are average

Votes: 318 38.2%
  • I have worse morals than average

Votes: 64 7.7%
  • I have way worse morals than average.

Votes: 28 3.4%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
If there's one thing we're bad at, is how we percieve ourselves. Appearance, voice, sense of humor, personality - it's impossible for us to realize how others percieve us without external help.

For morals, it's a similar thing. Don't remember where I saw it (probably some VSauce video?), but the stat was something like 75% of people believe they deserve to go to heaven, while it was considerably lower when they instead asked about whether or not other people deserved it.

So I'm asking you Era, where do you think your morals land? Do you think you're a good person with strong morals?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the standard you're probably thinking, no. Absolutely not. In my time in this earth I have come to realize that those who live their life according to a rigid set of morals generally get dominated by those who don't. These days I try to do what's morally right as long as it doesn't set me back in any meaningful way. My family and I take priority regardless of the cost to others.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... not really, i think i can more quickly be more "correct" by taking into consideration more sides of a question and ideate about consequences, but that's just a matter of quickness and efficiency. I wouldn't really say it's superiority. I try to avoid morals for as long as possible when making a decision.

I've done bad things to good people if that's the question. I like to think i am above that today, but, i cannot be sure. I try to be 100% vigilant.

Oct 27, 2017
By the standard you're probably thinking, no. Absolutely not. In my time in this earth I have come to realize that those who live their life according to a rigid set of morals generally get dominated by those who don't. These days I try to do what's morally right as long as it doesn't set me back in any meaningful way. My family and I take priority regardless of the cost to others.
That's why most people are immoral

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't believe i am 'more right' than others in terms of morals...i only believe i am 'right' for me.

other people's 'morals' is not my business or concerns.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My life has been really easy compared to a lot of people.

It's easier to be moral when life is easy and there is not a lack of anything in your life.

It's hard to compare yourself to someone else unless your circumstances are identical.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I'm a psychological hedonist. I don't really believe in an objective set of morals, and I believe the same baseline motivations drive every human being. So no, I'm really no better or worse than any one else. I might be more empathetic and socially inclined than some. Less than others. But not better or worse.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Yes, because I live by my standards and in the end I'm the only one who I have to be accountable to.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I mean, there are some pretty bad people out there and a lot of people are fine with some awful things so I guess so

Last edited:

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Superior being unite
O99fMiy.gif

Morally.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The "average" person has little to no morals, so yeah, simply caring about my fellow people puts my well above average.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
At my very best, I'm probably average.

When I see something deeply wrong, my usual reaction is to avoid the situation entirely rather than help, and I don't think that's morally sound behavior. I don't ALWAYS do this but that's how I react most of the time. I feel guilty when I don't do anything, but I tend to get over that guilt without issue.

I'm an honest person to a fault, but that doesn't really make me moral. I can sometimes be honestly selfish, too.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have the luxury of living a comfortable life, which gives me the opportunity to self-examine and think about ethics and morals more cohesively than most people. That's a privilege that's out of my control, not something I have any real reason to be proud of.

I'm probably smarter than most people, too, but I also live in the United States and went to decent schools and had a chance to go to college. Doesn't have much to do with me.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no. I would never leave my kid unattended at a playground, which I see all the time, and I generally accept everyone as equal, because on some level we're all essentially the same person, but I still lie and cheat and secretly drink. So yes and no.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
I try. A few of my friends are just effortlessly better than me though. It amazes how good some of them are.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Slightly better than average. I'm exceptionally considerate and I'm always putting the interests of those I interact with ahead of my own. But I can be selfish too, so I know I'm not morally superiority to everyone.

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
Well I think about morals, and I've done some reading on ethics. I'm at least neutral, and I think I emphasize being considerate more than a lot of people. I wouldn't say I'm superior, just prioritize the thoughts more. Everyone's got blindspots and fuckups though.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I think about the ethical implications of my actions more than average, but whether or not I am more moral by societal standards is probably arguable.

In my own defense, I think I am more moral where it counts lol.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the last few years really lowered the bar for "average morals" so I think most anyone who can care about others is already above average.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I try to be moral, sure. But whether or not that makes me a moral person seems like one of those things I shouldn't declare for myself. Other people can consider you moral or not, but it's a bit weird to go around saying it about yourself. It definitely isn't something I try to lord over others, even privately.

It's kind of the same thing as calling yourself smart or nice. It's more of a thing that other people decide, and the people who go around calling themselves smart or nice often look like the opposite in doing so.

Oct 27, 2017
I trust in my ethical and moral beliefs but I definitely think my behavior with regards to others and myself is below average. I believe our daily behavior's the most important indicator to our true moral being so I believe overall I'm below average morally.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't really like the choices on that poll. It's never been an issue of my morals being "better" or "worse". It doesn't always scale like that. It really depends on the issues I'm attempting to apply my morals to.

Some shit isn't that nuanced and it's binary. Other issues aren't.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't concern myself with whether or not my beliefs and actions are moral. I concern myself with whether or not they result in better outcomes for others in the situations I have control over.