• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Hellblade 2 trailer looked better but that was supposedly BS, so they'll probably not look like that. Probably.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, no. Nowhere near this. Next gen games will look amazing, but they won't come close to this. At least not in big open world games like The Witcher, and not in the first couple of years of the gen.

It has been said a million times before on here, but we aren't even close to the first Toy Story in terms of image quality etc and that movie came out in 1995. Hoping for games to look like CG is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'd love to be wrong though.
Is it serious that there are still people who claim that Toy Story looks better than current games?
I doubt next gen can looks as good as those CGIs in gameplay,but we never know how a next gen game can look until we are playing.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I find it rather remarkable for every upcoming gen, we always have the trend of folks that basically say the equivalent to "next gen will look better but not that much better than last gen" and then towards the end of a gen we get the discussion of "How can we possibly get graphics better than current gen" and it's like clockwork every single time with next gen especially mid to late almost always look substantially better than anything previous gen offered.

I typically find the case of CGI / FMV for a 1:1 in-game engine comparison the gap gets smaller and smaller over time. I mean most engine / in-game visuals on the PS3 surpassed anything over any FMV on the PSX in terms of character modeling, lighting and geometry and using the best examples would be Tekken 3 and FF9.

Most PS2 FMV cinematics were feasible on the PS4 / XB1 with in-game visuals, again factoring improvements in geometry and lighting.

It seems every other generation seems to be the case for CGI / FMV to be feasible in-game. So basically CGI on the PS4 / XBO (like The Witcher 3 for instance) probably won't be a normalcy for in-game in engine graphics until PS6, as the been the case in the past.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no but it will still look good.

i don't think next gen will be a huge improvement. we'll hopefully get 4K as standard, some raytracing, and other improvements but it won't be the difference between Witcher 3 gameplay and the cinematics.

Lol. Compare console TW3 with every aspect of the Hellblade 2 trailer... Gigantic leap in every facet of rendering.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, i even don't think this will possible yet you are asking CGI quality.

I mean dynamic global illumination -especially- in a big open world is no joke.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Lol, no. Nowhere near this. Next gen games will look amazing, but they won't come close to this. At least not in big open world games like The Witcher, and not in the first couple of years of the gen.

It has been said a million times before on here, but we aren't even close to the first Toy Story in terms of image quality etc and that movie came out in 1995. Hoping for games to look like CG is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

SidToyStory.jpg

I know that there are areas where games still don't come close to TS1, but in terms of apparent visual fidelity, we are we past that point. Yes, Sid probably has more actual hairs on his haed than all game character ever combines, but if you tell me that you think he looks better than Lara Croft in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, or Connor from Detroit, I don't believe you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
nah, i think we will get "The Witcher 4". i hope CDPR decide that the ending where ciri wants to become a witcher is the real one. there could be a time jump of about 5-10 years, geralt becomes the new Vesemir, and we play as Ciri.

unless CDPR plan on releasing a Cyberpunk sequel (they do but i mean after 2077) then I think we'll get Witcher 4 towards the end of the generation.

No we won't. CDPR said they can't call it The Witcher 4 because the first 3 games were a trilogy and Geralts story ended. The next game will be about Ciri.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
No

It isn't just a matter of power... It is also a matter of how many artists and hours would you need to reach this level of polishing in a huge open game like the witcher.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Modern AAA games look way fucking better than Toy Story in most aspects.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Of course not. I know yall are high on that pre-console gen hype, but you're only setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CDPR CEO: "The first three 'Witchers' were by definition a trilogy, so we simply could not name the next game 'The Witcher 4'. This does not mean, of course, that we will leave the world of The Witcher."
I meant the ciri part. That's just a group of fans who wish for it to be true, they haven't given any plans besides saying that Witcher 3 concludes Geralts story. It could mean multiple things, including a brand new group of characters or even something aching to make your own character. Or yes even Ciri.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yes and mostly like this since it looks better and even real in some scenes like around 1:14

But I don't know if CDPOJEKTRED could reach such quality in their next game: they really didn't make a great looking CGI with Cyberpunk 2077 CGI trailer with Keanu Reeves (bad hair, bad cloth physics, bad eye shader and skin shader etc...) and Hellblade 2 trailer is even better than that Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. Digic Picyures does all the amazing CGIs for games.
I am sure other companies like ND will reach such quality and even exceed it at some point.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yes and mostly like this since it looks better and even real in some scenes like around 1:14

But I don't know if CDPOJEKTRED could reach such quality in their next game: they really didn't make a great looking CGI with Cyberpunk 2077 CGI trailer with Keanu Reeves (bad hair, bad cloth physics, bad eye shader and skin shader etc...) and Hellblade 2 trailer is even better than that Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. Digic Picyures does all the amazing CGIs for games.
I am sure other companies like ND will reach such quality and even exceed it at some point.

None of the CGI's released by CDP have been made in-house. They order them from outside studios. Mostly Polish ones afaik.

Also I thought Hellblade 2 stuff was in-engine, not CGI?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
None of the CGI's released by CDP have been made in-house. They order them from outside studios. Mostly Polish ones afaik.

Also I thought Hellblade 2 stuff was in-engine, not CGI?

Ok, but I don't think that Cyberpunk 2077 CGI trailer was made by Digic Pictures, That looked so damn behind their capabilities.
Digic Pictures do almost every CGI traielrs for all games even FFXV while S-E are perfectly capable of doing their own CGIs.

Yes Hellblade 2 was not CGI and it looks better than the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer in many aspects. That is why next-gen is very promising.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yes Hellblade 2 was not CGI and it looks better than the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer in many aspects. that is why next-gen is very promising.

Same time trailers with "In-Engine" tags mean mostly bullshit trailers, basically wishful targets in most cases. CGI of this and next-gen more or less.

I do take it over CGI used as "This is the game" marketing, but it's beyond what end product will be.

Hellblade 2 in-engine will be a thing next-gen some years in likely, but this year? #doubt

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Same time trailers with "In-Engine" tags mean mostly bullshit trailers, basically wishful targets in most cases. CGI of this and next-gen more or less.

I do take it over CGI used as "This is the game" marketing, but it's beyond what end product will be.

Hellblade 2 in-engine will be a thing next-gen some years in likely, but this year? #doubt

Not this year that we will get such graphics for next-gen and especially not all devs will be able or set their goals to chase such quality. Nevertheless the hardware is perfectly capable of running such graphics and there is literally no aspect that they can't achieve now and some devs will push forward such goals and reach them and even surpass them. Just you wait and you will see.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, but I don't think that Cyberpunk 2077 CGI trailer was made by Digic Pictures, That looked so damn behind their capabilities.
Digic Pictures do almost every CGI traielrs for all games even FFXV while S-E are perfectly capable of doing their own CGIs.

Yes Hellblade 2 was not CGI and it looks better than the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer in many aspects. That is why next-gen is very promising.

Cyberpunk CGI trailer was made by Goodbye Kansas Studios

Feb 8, 2018
love the way the sky looks in this.

i know it's way too early but the only next gen footage i've seen is that short Godfall gameplay clip. it looks like a PS4 game but with raytracing and it'll probably run at 4K. raytracing is nice but i think that + 4K is going to eat up all the extra power that PS5 brings.

So far most if not all Gens have brought considerable jumps in visuals with them and it shouldn't be different this time around. Last-gen also managed to bring HD resolution and better graphics with it. For me personally nothing needs to run in actual 4K, sure it is better than 1080P but this already looks sharp to me to be honest.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
They are working on a new AAA RPG that's slated (and reconfirmed in 2019) for 2021, which is pretty much guaranteed to be a Witcher game. Especially since they just renewed their contract with Sapkowski. They already said The Witcher 3 would be the end of Geralt's story, but CDPR expressed in 2013 that they're interested in returning to the Witcher universe to tell many more stories, so The Witcher 4 could be about Ciri for example, or a Witcher we don't know anything about with a completely new story, or maybe even a Witcher 1 remake. That we don't know yet. But that it's coming is 99% guaranteed.

edit:

edit: There's also this, from 2018 (when they first mentioned the existence of the second game):

Source
Waaaay too optimistic. The second game is obviously the multiplayer expansion for CP2077, which explains the fast turnaround (they can reuse assets).

Witcher 3->CP2077 was 5 years. Expecting CP2077->Witcher 4 to only take 1 year isn't realistic. I'd say it'll be another 4-5 years

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It HAS to look better ....

Ff7 is mind blowing already. I'm not impressed with that CG intro at all.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
lol what

you can get this look ingame pretty easily with mods

Ooh, i didn't know you can make real dynamic global illumination with mod, thank for enlighten me. : ) Also there is no such mod for adding this much quality LOD. I suggest you to learn about global illumination and examine carefully those distance details about how almost perfect and than retail game.

THe actual game is not that different from this demo.

The big downgrade was from the "in game" VGX trailer.

I suggest you the same as i said for rashbeep.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
It will be even better than Witcher III cutscenes.

Remember when we thought RE2 1998 FMVs were amazing and we wanted those graphics but what we get even on GameCube was better than the FMVs on PS1.

So yeah, the game play of tomorrow will be much better than the cutscenes of today.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, i didn't know you can make real dynamic global illumination with mod, thank for enlighten me. : ) Also there is no such mod for adding this much quality LOD. I suggest you to learn about global illumination and examine carefully those distance details about how almost perfect and than retail game.

I suggest you the same as i said for rashbeep.

perhaps you should learn what it is first, because at no point did cdpr ever say there was dynamic GI in the game.

from 2013

DSOGaming: One of the key features that was removed from UE4 was Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination. Does REDengine 3 support it (or any other forms of Global Illumination) and if not, are there any plans for implementing it?

BT:
In some ways Global Illumination is the biggest challenge currently facing graphics programmers. It's quite hard to find a solution that gives feature parity across all our target platforms and we decided that for now we would rather spend our time on other features for providing better-looking lighting and shading. We will definitely return to this topic at some point and I'm sure that we will find a solution that will fit our games, but right now we have other ideas on how to improve the visuals.

seems to be foliage drawing out further in the retail game here, interesting

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Not likely, but I am expecting it to impress me more.

Cyberpunk is cross gen, so I dont think that is a good barometer. It is equivalent to Witcher 2, which is still a very nice looking game. Just many games this gen have surpassed it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Waaaay too optimistic. The second game is obviously the multiplayer expansion for CP2077, which explains the fast turnaround (they can reuse assets).

Witcher 3->CP2077 was 5 years. Expecting CP2077->Witcher 4 to only take 1 year isn't realistic. I'd say it'll be another 4-5 years
They have 2 big teams working on 2 big games at once, and 2 smaller teams working on smaller games (Gwent, Thronebreaker etc). I can see them releasing a new Witcher game at the end of 2021.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
perhaps you should learn what it is first, because at no point did cdpr ever say there was dynamic GI in the game.

from 2013

DSOGaming: One of the key features that was removed from UE4 was Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination. Does REDengine 3 support it (or any other forms of Global Illumination) and if not, are there any plans for implementing it?

BT:
In some ways Global Illumination is the biggest challenge currently facing graphics programmers. It's quite hard to find a solution that gives feature parity across all our target platforms and we decided that for now we would rather spend our time on other features for providing better-looking lighting and shading. We will definitely return to this topic at some point and I'm sure that we will find a solution that will fit our games, but right now we have other ideas on how to improve the visuals.

seems to be foliage drawing out further in the retail game here, interesting

They are not saying they didn't use too lol. I'm not pro but i think they did use dynamic Gl in that demo, how i know? Let me show you. Look carefully in first shot, look how shadows are just dark without any light bounces unlike demo one, it's just trying to mimic it Gl and not even good one. As you see in second shot there a some greeny look in place because of there are greens and so light bounces from using of Gl. Also in thirdshot look how details in shadow losing visiblity due no Gl.

Gl.jpg

gl3.jpg

gl2.jpg

Another example about how this stuff work:

Radiosity_Comparison.jpg

Also for distance especially look city details, your answer is there. Quality is so bad but still it's very visible to me. Gladly i had high quality version of that demo so you can see how great distance and details visible for Novigrad. Can you show me sample like that one from retail game?

godo_qulaitry.png

I hope these helps.

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The biggest question for me is - will they try and make their engine more scalable for Switch 2? Considering the success of Witcher 3 (a full price older game, that's technically inferior selling from the sounds of it quite well).

Not port begging yet unless we're counting retroactive port begging of a non-existant game?

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The biggest question for me is - will they try and make their engine more scalable for Switch 2? Considering the success of Witcher 3 (a full price older game, that's technically inferior selling from the sounds of it quite well).

Not port begging yet unless we're counting retroactive port begging of a non-existant game?

I really hope they do not build a next gen witcher game with what certainly be underpowered nintendo hardware in mind, that would be a huge bummer for me, i want them to push boundaries.