• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it ok to yell at your kids when instructing them in cases of emergency/survival?

• Absolutely

Votes: 1,549 89.6%
  • Hmmm....not sure

Votes: 7 0.4%
  • Depends on the situation/child

Votes: 153 8.8%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 20 1.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Then what's with the "depends on the situation/child" option for?

For people who feel like certain emergencies do not warrant yelling at the child, and I'm not talking about emergencies where yelling directly impacts the environment in some way so as to put the child at an even greater risk of injury/death.

The river situation in the Bird Box is a perfect example of an emergency where I could see reasonable discourse about why it was ok or not ok for Malorie to yell at her kids; she wasn't warning them to get out of the way, she was instructing them on what to do in the future, and she was yelling at them when doing so.

It's a redundant option

For the situations in which I'm referring, it is not. If we remove emergencies where yelling directly endangers the child in an objective way, we are left with emergencies where yelling can be argued to have different degrees of effectiveness, depending on the situation.

If you answer 'absolutely', you are essentially saying that yelling is acceptable in any emergency scenario where yelling doesn't directly endanger the child. If you say 'depends', you're essentially saying that some emergencies, even when yelling doesn't directly endanger the child, still do not warrant yelling at your child, and vice versa.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Last edited:

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
I've yelled at my kids twice today. First time due to my twins constructing a ladder out of chairs so they could get some pretzels, and the second time because all three kids were talking over each other which eventually lead into a rather loud disagreement between the three. They go back to school tomorrow and I can't be happier.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
BTW, all votes are public, so if you wanna know who voted for a specific option, just click on that option.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
"You saw that zombie-looking hobo with a knife sneaking up your kid and you didn't even shout a warning?"

"I absolutely did warn her, but in a reasonable tone of course."

"They were 40 yards away and you didn't raise your voice so she could hear you!? Don't you get emotional? Doesn't it make you want to scream?"

"Excuse me? Not sure how YOU were raised, but we always communicate in a calm, reasonable tone in our family."

Last edited:

Notyou

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
I have to shout at mine once in a while. Sometimes it's the only way to get through to them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think a better poll question would be, would you die for your children.

I was reading an article with a woman, and if she could only save one, her husband or her child, she would choose her husband.

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a fucking era question like wtf the kids might die if they don't follow those instructions ffs

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely, though I think a case can be made for depends on the situation/child.

We have a slightly odd situation with our 2 year old, he's very sensitive to people getting angry. Any raised voices, even if they aren't targeted at him, make him cry. This isn't because of trauma, or a specific instance where he was yelled at, he was like this since he was a newborn. If he does do something bad, positive reinforcement works best. Getting angry at him will only make him scream and cry louder, its a contest we won't win.

His brother is the opposite and needs a loud talking to from time to time.

Every kid is different and so parents have to adjust their approach. If you don't need to yell at your kids, good for you. Don't think for a second that your approach will work in all cases though.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Well that was the easiest parenting question I've ever had to answer. Yes, in an emergency it's a great idea to fill your lungs and yell "stop."

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I can imagine the people who say "depends on the situation/child" would be fine with yelling at a child to not touch fire, but might not be ok with yelling at the child while instructing them to do/not do something in the future, which is what Malorie did in the movie.

I fear I may have blundered into this thread under a misapprehension. The question in the thread title seems to refer to an emergency, which implies an imminent danger. Here you seem to be referring to a situation of instruction, where yelling would not be particularly helpful and might well hinder learning.

This lack of clarity may well have caused a lot of similar misunderstandings.

On context of "emergency"
OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I fear I may have blundered into this thread under a misapprehension. The question in the thread title seems to refer to an emergency, which implies an imminent danger. Here you seem to be referring to a situation of instruction, where yelling would not be particularly helpful and might well hinder learning.

This lack of clarity may well have caused a lot of similar misunderstandings.

That's why I said emergency/survival. A state of emergency may involve an extended period of time, as was the case in the movie. It's an apocalyptic scenario. It's still an emergency situation, just one that doesn't necessarily require split-second decision making.

But you're probably right in that the only types of emergencies people are thinking about here are ones where the time period to save the child is within seconds.

Last edited:

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
They can't be traumatized if they are dead...? I mean.. who the hell wouldn't yell if needed.

I've yelled at my kids before, it happens. Don't hit them or spank them or anything physical.. but goddamned if kids can frustrate you so badly sometimes.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know the situation op is even referring to. Does it mean if they were gonna step in front of a car ? Then obviously ....

I laid out the scenario in the OP, it's not like it's some grand mystery. The example cited was from the movie Bird Box, where the mom needed her children to follow her instructions precisely or they would die. I didn't think it would be that difficult to understand...

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
If you say 'depends', you're essentially saying that some emergencies, even when yelling doesn't directly endanger the child, still do not warrant yelling at your child, and vice versa.
There's a bit of a difference between whether something is warranted (i.e. justified or necessary) versus something being acceptable (i.e. allowable). If you say it depends, you're essentially saying that in some emergencies, yelling is not acceptable or allowable, which i have a hard time agreeing with.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
There's a bit of a difference between whether something is warranted (i.e. justified or necessary) versus something being acceptable (i.e. allowable). If you say it depends, you're essentially saying that in some emergencies, yelling is not acceptable or allowable, which i have a hard time agreeing with.

Yeah, this is more accurate. Thanks for the correction.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
WickedEmotionalGnu-size_restricted.gif

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I laid out the scenario in the OP, it's not like it's some grand mystery. The example cited was from the movie Bird Box, where the mom needed her children to follow her instructions precisely or they would die. I didn't think it would be that difficult to understand...

I think the reason your options are confusing to somebody is this:

Is it okay to yell at your child to save their life? Absolutely. (Inherent in this option is a spectrum of situations. It's asking is there a scenario where it's okay).

Is it okay to yell at your child to save their life under the right circumstances? Yes (This is confusing because it's objectivley also part of the first response).

Normally an absolute answer would be something like, "It's okay to yell at your kids," without the requirement of a survival situation juxtaposed to those that only find it acceptable in extreme situations. Your poll doesn't allow for a differentiation between people who view yelling as a parenting tool and those that view it as last resort.

At least this is how I see it. I voted absolutely, because there are absolutely situations where yelling is acceptable. That also is just as true for the depends on the circumstances answer though. Respectfully, but it's flawed.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
As someone who got yelled at over doing and saying dumb stuff as a kid, for sure am ok with this. Been yelled at a lot as a kid, and really this wouldn't be any different.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Threads like this makes me wonder if certain posters simply exist in a different reality than the rest of us.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you have lost your mind. Do you have kids? I don't think so, yeah? As a parent, let me clue you in- you'll shout at your kids occasionally, and not just in emergency situations. Kids do dumb fucking things and need to be corrected. This includes yelling at them. There's nothing wrong with raising your voice at your kids when they fuck up. Let alone in cases of emergency, I mean fuck, that goes without saying.

Jesus. The question and tone of this topic makes my damn head hurt. I think some posters must live on Mars. When I watch movies where kids are being horrible in life-or-death situations my first impulse definitely isn't "oh man how could she yell at them like that?"

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Yelling is not a great way to discipline because it is a form of verbal abuse. Realizing of course that every parent or authority figure has done it, practically speaking the more you do it, the less effective it is.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes kids will not listen unless you raise your voice. Hell, in some cases they may be too distracted to even hear you.

If you need to make a kid hear or do something right now, and they are in danger if they don't, then yelling to get their attention is in their best interest.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this thread it's readily apparent who's a parent and who isn't. I really can't believe this is a serious question posed by the OP in the first place.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I have teen boys that hide in their room. I tell every time dinner is ready
stop. you will hurt their feelings. It's better for them to die of malnutrition and dehydration than being shout at. Didn't you get the memo?

Also, apparently, we are all dead or damaged psychologically or both as most of us have been shouted by our parents when we were kids. I mean, i came from a chinese family, brought up by a chinese mum, i should know! Oh the humanity!!!!

:P

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I think the reason your options are confusing to somebody is this:

Is it okay to yell at your child to save their life? Absolutely. (Inherent in this option is a spectrum of situations. It's asking is there a scenario where it's okay).

Is it okay to yell at your child to save their life under the right circumstances? Yes (This is confusing because it's objectivley also part of the first response).

Normally an absolute answer would be something like, "It's okay to yell at your kids," without the requirement of a survival situation juxtaposed to those that only find it acceptable in extreme situations. Your poll doesn't allow for a differentiation between people who view yelling as a parenting tool and those that view it as last resort.

At least this is how I see it. I voted absolutely, because there are absolutely situations where yelling is acceptable. That also is just as true for the depends on the circumstances answer though. Respectfully, but it's flawed.

You are given a set of circumstances to consider in which yelling at your child could save their life (though it's possible that yelling wouldn't accomplish this); they aren't inherently acceptable scenarios (as acceptability is a matter of subjectivity) and they're not prescribed as the right circumstances, just the relevant ones. The only emergencies that are excluded from this set are emergencies where yelling could not possibly help to save the life of the child; such emergencies are paradoxical with respect to the question, so I have deemed them irrelevant for the purposes of this poll. If there were more room in the thread title and poll title, I could've mentioned that the emergencies I'm referring to are ones where yelling can actually save the life of the child, but frankly, that seems implicit in the question, so it didn't occur to me that I would need to spell that out.

As for why the poll only includes emergency/survival situations, that's simply because I thought about what Malorie did in Bird Box and wondered how many people would agree or disagree with her actions in such a scenario and built the premise of this thread from there. More specifically, I was interested in seeing if there was a significant portion of people who have more consideration for the type of emergency involved, and wondered how many people felt that the type of emergency didn't matter.

With consideration of the relevant emergencies where yelling at your child could save their life, your options to vote on if it would acceptable to do so are as follows: a categorically affirmative response, an uncertain response, a conditional response, and a categorically negative response. These options should be sufficient to cover the potential spectrum of opinions on this issue. If you answer "absolutely", you are not just saying "yes", you are saying "yes, without qualification or exception", which includes all emergencies where yelling could save the child's life. If you answer "Depends on the situation/child" you are saying, "it could be acceptable in some emergencies, and it could be unacceptable in other emergencies, so whether it is acceptable or not depends on the emergency and/or the child involved in the emergency".

If more people would read the OP, I don't think it would be that confusing. I made it pretty clear that this poll was based on what happened in Bird Box so complaining about what this thread isn't is really getting beside the point.

I do, however, appreciate your input and I can see how going into this thread and voting right away could lead to confusion.

Last edited:
OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
OP you have lost your mind. Do you have kids? I don't think so, yeah? As a parent, let me clue you in- you'll shout at your kids occasionally, and not just in emergency situations. Kids do dumb fucking things and need to be corrected. This includes yelling at them. There's nothing wrong with raising your voice at your kids when they fuck up. Let alone in cases of emergency, I mean fuck, that goes without saying.

Jesus. The question and tone of this topic makes my damn head hurt. I think some posters must live on Mars. When I watch movies where kids are being horrible in life-or-death situations my first impulse definitely isn't "oh man how could she yell at them like that?"

Posts like these are incredibly disrespectful on so many levels.

Not only am I a parent of FIVE children, but I'm not the one against yelling at children in emergency situations or even serious situations, yet you come in here without all the facts and insult me when all I wanted to do is gather data. This is the kind of shit that makes me not want to post on this site.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
You're always going to have to yell at some point, so this topic is odd , it is perfectly ok to yell at people on occasions.