• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think a Part III will be made?

• Yes

Votes: 724 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 174 16.8%
  • Uncertain

Votes: 139 13.4%

• Total voters

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Could be, but i think they need the IP to rest one generation and then return to in with fresh ideas. I find difficult that they can expand on current characters, so maybe a new cast, more 'survival' open world instead of heavily story driven? Don't know. They must be careful because people nitpick everything these days.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Depends on Neil Druckmann, I don't think Sony would greenlight a sequel without him. If they make a new one, they'd need a new theme and a new direction, not necessarily new main characters.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to think we would get a part 3 because of the ending of part 2. Probably not next, I expect a new IP next but hopefully part 3 at the end of PS5 Gen.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
what the game that sold absolute gang busters? The one that effectivly hogged whole news cycles for what seemed like weeks / months? The one that was one of the fastest selling games? Nah, next to no chance of a sequel :-)

Can I just add, ive never actually played these games. However, I watched a playthrough of the first game. I said to myself Ill watch the first min or so of the opening....binged that whole damn thing and then watched some cutscenes and the ending lol. It might be one of the best games ever to simply sit and "watch" lol Is there plans for Tv/movie?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It sold like crazy, and Druckmann loves working on that world, of course it will be developed.

Also, TLOU II is the clear dark middle chapter of the trilogy. Up until the even darker and more depressing final chapter lol

Jun 23, 2019
Of course it will. Part 2 basically ends on a cliffhanger and sold like gangbusters. It'll take a while, but it will come.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I really hope it's made if there is an actual story to tell and not cuz The Last of Us sold well! iirc Neil and Halley have expressed some interest so then it's likely but again it probably won't be their next game, I think some new IP is probably in the works there

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
With the upcoming HBO series? Of course.

another thing they won't be TLOU3 in another country, state or different set of characters. Neil has said so and refers to it as a cop out he rather do a new IP instead.

Last edited:

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
The way Part 2 was set up, I'd kinda expect one more game. And it'd make sense to me at least if it has some more hopeful themes/elements then Pt. 2. With what is revealed at the end of the game there's some suggestions that could make for interesting developments/settings all along the west coast.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
unfortunately, yes. should've been a one off game with no sequel but money talks. loved the first game. second one was a huge disappointment. naughty dog won't be seeing any more of my money until Druckmann leaves.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I think if there's a sequel it will be at the tail end of the PS5 generation, Naughty Dog will work on other things for a while which will be good for everyone. It would give them time to assess what worked in TLOU2 and what could be improved, as well as planning the story out.

A new IP is absolutely needed by Naughty Dog though, time to explore new worlds!

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Part 2 is one of the best selling games of the year. It's also one of the best if not the best game of the generation. Sony will let Naughty Dog do what they want. And Ellie's story isn't finished.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
yes, but not right away

I can see Part III being one of PS5's swan songs, just like Part I was for PS3 and Part II was for PS4

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think so. Sure it would make money but I think the story has been told and might be best if they just made a new IP.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think so but hopefully ND will move onto another title first. Tbh I imagine that the nature of the game took it's toll on the developers over the years beyond just crunch so it'd probably be good for them to be enthused for something different.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I personally don't think so, but I wouldn't mind another. I feel like Naughty Dog told the story and themes that they wanted to, but there's also still some room for additional stories.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
But where would story go?
Not to go into any spoilers but I think story is done and I really can't be caught playing another revenge story.
How and what will excuse all the killing this time?

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I believe it will be but I'm not fussed if it's not. I didn't really want a Part II either as I thought the first was perfect and ended well. Obviously I played Part II but I felt the delivery was a bit off and could've been done better.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really want one made, but I would have said the same about the second which I ended up preferring to the first quite a bit, so really I don't know. I can't imagine how they would continue the story, but at this point I have faith that if they did they'd find something to make it worthwhile. After UC4 and TLOU2, Naughty Dog has completely earned my trust.

That being said, I really hope a 3 is never made just for the sake of making a third. Only if Druckmann and crew are just as excited about it. Otherwise, I'd prefer if they left it behind and focused on whatever creatively energizes them.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The series has potential.

Don't just stop evolving the gameplay & world, just because the developers are bored and/or main-character(s) dead/have happy ending... : /

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
I felt the story was sufficiently concluded and don't have a hunger to see what else they can do within that world.

I would prefer ND's time and resources to be spent working on new IP.

I don't think LoU being a blockbuster hit is reason enough to make another. It was a new IP once too and I'm fairly confident whatever ND make it will sell well.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
If there is, I hope they don't continue to follow the same characters. Those peoples' story is done (especially from a gameplay perspective, IMO).

The world they've crafted has plenty more opportunities to tell interesting stories not connected to Ellie/Abby/Joel/etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted uncertain. I can imagine all the death threats have left their mark and they might give the universe a rest.
We'll probably see a new IP first.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Is water wet? Sony is a for profit company and their most recent game in the series made a bunch of money.

Khaos Kontrol

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Of course. The games are too successful not to make more. They'll be at least another one and possibly a fourth one as well.