• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How would you classify yourself?

• Gnostic Theist

Votes: 271 11.9%
  • Agnostic Theist

Votes: 231 10.2%
  • Gnostic Atheist

Votes: 272 12.0%
  • Agnostic Atheist

Votes: 1,285 56.6%
  • Apatheist

Votes: 210 9.3%

• Total voters

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
no lol that was laughing

bugen2.jpg

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's some serious mental gymnastics, and play on semantics.

Contrary to what one might think, the absence of belief is not equal to the belief of absence.

So no, Agnostic Atheism (or Gnostic for that matter) is not a religious position.
It is literally the absence of one.

Thirteen years at a Christian university. It's all mental gymnastics.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. It's different than aliens. Belief in Gods is far less justified. Life existing in nature is demonstrable. We somewhat understand the natural processes that can result in life developing.

If gods by their definition are "supernatural" then that is a much higher standard. The supernatural doesn't have a demonstration (honestly don't even know what supernatural is or how it could be demonstrated). So yes belief in aliens existing is maybe not currently justified, but belief in the possibility is justified. The same can't be said for God's. The possibility isn't justified there.
Both of them are just assumptions though, in order to believe either gods or aliens you'd have to make a leap that just isn't currently there.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Like I said, it's a question of worldview.

Back to the Zeus metaphor, if someone asked you if you believed in Zeus and you said no, are you agnostic or gnostic in regard to Greek gods? You could say that you're agnostic, since you can't prove they don't exist. But do you live in such a way that accounts for the possibility of it?

If you take the position that the Greek gods probably don't exist, but you won't take a hard stance because you can't prove it, that's a religious position. It's a value greater than zero on the scale of belief. If your level of belief is actually zero, I'd say that's gnostic.

Semantics can make this debate go all over the map. If you consider it a hard rule that any unprovable negative idea is, by definition, agnostic, then gnosticism doesn't really exist outside of cases of self-delusion. But I've always preferred a softer definition.

Knowledge is not the same as absolute certainty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to equivocate both because I view believing in both as wrong with our current knowledge.

It's not the same thing, we literally exist so we have an example of life that could just be somewhere else but we just haven't found it yet.

We don't have a single example of a god, it's very easy to see how it's a false equivalency to say it's the same.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to equivocate both because I view believing in both as wrong with our current knowledge.

One is not currently demonstrated but plausible and maybe even likely given our understanding of the natural world.

The other is a completely made up thing with zero support that doesn't not only make sense with what we understand about reality but may be fundamentally illogical.

But go ahead and equivocate to feel better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not the same thing, we literally exist so we have an example of life that could just be somewhere else but we just haven't found it yet.

We don't have a single example of a god, it's very easy to see how it's a false equivalency to say it's the same.
We don't have a single example of a god, and we also don't have a single example of a lifeform originating from another planet.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I'm just agnostic, I don't choose to believe one way or another. But I'm not apathetic, I ponder the nature of our reality and life on a regular basis. There simply isn't enough data to choose a side.

Then you are an atheist.

Atheism is not the hard position that no god exists. It is only a lack of belief in the positive claim that a god exists. You can reject a proposition as true without necessarily endorsing the opposite. If you do not believe in a god, you're an atheist. That's just how words work. So congrats, you're an agnostic atheist like most of us here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One is not currently demonstrated but plausible and maybe even likely given our understanding of the natural world.

The other is a completely made up thing with zero support that doesn't not only make sense with what we understand about reality but may be fundamentally illogical.

But go ahead and equivocate to feel better.
It seems to me that's just an attempt to justify belief in aliens without seeming contradictory to belief in gods, when the whole reason I don't believe in gods is a lack of evidence, same with aliens.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Both of them are just assumptions though, in order to believe either gods or aliens you'd have to make a leap that just isn't currently there.
But we live on a planet on a certain distance from a sun under certain conditions. The chance that there is another planet somewhere in the universe with similar conditions is very high. So the chance that there is some sort life somewhere else in the universe is very high.
We (or; life-forms on our planet) are the evidence that the chances of alien life is probable / plausible. So the leap isn't the same or quite as large imo.

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It seems to me that's just an attempt to justify belief in aliens without seeming contradictory to belief in gods, when the whole reason I don't believe in gods is a lack of evidence, same with aliens.

I already said belief in aliens isn't yet justified.
Belief in the possibility of life outside of earth has some supporting evidence.

That's not the same as gods.

You're committing a fallacy for equivocating

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
im kind of wondering why we dont see more arguments between theists in threads like this

atheists for the most part simply aren't convinced by the claims, but theists by definition think that competing theistic claims are flat out false

i'd honestly like to see that perspective more often, although now that i think about it i guess it just ends up looking like this

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
It looks kinda bad for all religion when we're reminded that there are more religions and ideas of god(s) than we can count, and many followers out there claim with absolute certainty to have a close relationship/connection with god(s), yet there's massive disagreement on things like who god is, what they want, where they are, etc. It's much easier to just ignore all the competing god claims.

We don't have a single example of a god, and we also don't have a single example of a lifeform originating from another planet.
We know of mechanisms that could potentially allow for life to form, and we have precedent for life forming in this way, and we guess that multitudes of planets should exist with the right conditions for those mechanisms to take place and result in life. Do we have anything similar for god? What lab-tested mechanisms could contribute to the formation of a god? Do we know that a god has been born at least once before? Do we know what the necessary conditions are for god to exist, and if those conditions exist somewhere?

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I believe in God. I'm a Christian. Don't know if anyone has linked this yet, but reasonablefaith.Org is a good resource for theists who are looking for answers to common and not so common tough questions.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I've learned from this thread is people truly lack logical critical thinking.....it terrifying.

It depends on where you stand. You can believe in a God or in a Self-Creating Universe and still be logical. It's more when people make claims instead of opinions.

As an Agnostic Theist I believe in a god, but I don't think that makes my choice more logical than the other. If I did then I would have to provide some sort of evidence and if I can't do that then it makes me illogical. This works for both sides of the argument.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
It depends on where you stand. You can believe in a God or in a Self-Creating Universe and still be logical. It's more when people make claims instead of opinions.

As an Agnostic Theist I believe in a god, but I don't think that makes my choice more logical than the other. If I did then I would have to provide some sort of evidence and if I can't do that then it makes me illogical. This works for both sides of the argument.
Not talking about your choice in believing in God. More people treating 100s of years of research of math space and evolution as worthless trash. We kenow so much about our planet, our history, our universe yet people don't find that information interesting so they ignored or act like it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Not talking about your choice in believing in God. More people treating 100s of years of research of math space and evolution as worthless trash. We rarely know so much about our planet, our history, our universe yet people don't find that information interesting so they ignored or act like it doesn't exist.

Oh yeah I'm with you on that. That's some dumb shit.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Of course I will, my position isn't that aliens don't exist, it's that I'm not going to believe in them until they are confirmed to exist.
Do you put the belief in god in the same footing and belief in alien life when it comes to evidence of it existing? Which one is closer to being proved to exist, in your opinion?

Nov 1, 2017
I always wondered why humans are the only species that "worship gods". I mean earth alone has nearly 8.7 million species yet Homo Sapiens are the only one who believes in "divine being".

Personally, i don't believe in gods.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Also the religion evolved (haha) from worshiping the Sun to some sophisticated abstract but humanized being with some kind of omnipotent superpowers that spectacularly fails either in showing them or in justify a list of supposed moral obligations. Must be timid.

If some kind of transcended being exists it sure has some kind of biological origins. I don't doubt the future of humankind is to transcend the body limitations.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
I always wondered why humans are the only species that "worship gods". I mean earth alone has nearly 8.7 million species yet Homo Sapiens are the only one who believes in "divine being".

Personally, i don't believe in gods.
Humans are a lot more curious and creative than other creatures. We also form complex societies which is pretty important for religion

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
How do you know that some Dolphins, or Apes, or Ravens or Dogs don't believe in a god or gods plural?

What is your evidence that they don't?

Yeah, you're right. I've read many religious books written by moles and rats.

Wasn't it "evidence" that a god exists because of the scriptures?

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Nope, don't now and never did in the past. i didn't have a religious upbringing and while I could appreciate the cultural aspects, the idea of an actual god or miracles was never something I could suspend my disbelief enough to accept.

Funny how the "true religion" tends to be the one you're born into and raised with.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I don't believe in god.

I'm starting to believe, more and more, that we live in a construct. The creator of this construct, I guess, you could call god, but not in the way that "books" describe him.

Also, I can understand that some people need something to believe in when times are tough.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do believe in God.

I don't believe in shaming or guilting others into believing and unfortunately a lot of religions use that method for 'recruitment'.

I have my own relationship with my God and it helps me in my day to day life and I treasure that.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk, I do wonder sometimes if dolphins or other species have oral traditions.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
How strict is the gnostic/agnostic lable?

Like, I acknowledge that there is no such thing as 100% certainty, but I am about as sure that there is no god as I am sure that there is no Santa Clause or Easter Bunny.
Does this make me a gnostic or agnostic atheist?

Edit: I chose gnostic. I feel like if I don't qualify as a gnostic atheist no one would.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered why humans are the only species that "worship gods"
People tend to have a hard time accepting that they only live a temporary existence and death is inevitable.

Imho that's the reason why we pretty much every religion has a way of rebirthing or continue living in another place / form as their basis.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What was this god entity doing all this time before humans showed up? If the whole lifetime of the universe was a day, humans would have only been alive for the last 4 seconds. Maybe God is just really new to this whole God thing and created us as a test run. Give em more time.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
What was this god entity doing all this time before humans showed up? If the whole lifetime of the universe was a day, humans would have only been alive for the last 4 seconds. Maybe God is just really new to this whole God thing and created us as a test run. Give em more time.
He created the universe, then took a nap and put the alarm clock just in time to watch us masturbate.