• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you classify yourself?

• Gnostic Theist

Votes: 271 11.9%
  • Agnostic Theist

Votes: 231 10.2%
  • Gnostic Atheist

Votes: 272 12.0%
  • Agnostic Atheist

Votes: 1,285 56.6%
  • Apatheist

Votes: 210 9.3%

• Total voters

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Mythos reveal deeper truths about creation.

Are you refering to the Bible? WHat about it makes it a fairy tale?
How many land species were on the ark?

How many land species are alive today?

The only way the story of the ark can be 100% true, is if speciation can occur. The story of the ark *needs* speciation. It cannot be true without it.

You can't fit all the genes that exist in say, dogs, into two dogs. Either new traits (and therefor eventually species) can evolve, or the story of the ark is fable meant to teach a message and not a literal truth.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
No it wasn't. Its is an attempt to explain the mystery, but fails. It is built from the premise that evolution is true. It's not.

Your answer does't hold up to scrutiny. The logic of the question - if we are all from pond scum, interrealted, of the same origin, why can't we intermingle? there is actual very little variance in DNA between the species - yet . . . a dog sperm wont fertilize a female cat egg.

A whale doens't become a turtle.

A bear does't become a lion.

There is no midway on record - ever.
There's no possible way you can be that dumb. It's just not possible...
PLEASE be a troll.

Evolution is a true and provable science. Every example you have been given you have chose to blatantly ignore. Mostly because it doesnt fit your bullshit narrative.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
A High and Mighty Deity.

Scripture.
Logic.
Inference
Revelation
No amount of logic can get you to God(or maybe you found a logical argument that nobody ever found before but I somehow doubt it), revelation is necessarily a first person experience and is useless to anyone not experiencing it. Scripture is a useless pile of garbage and has no explanatory power until demonstrated otherwise. And finally inference or inductive reasoning is fine and dandy but it is a minefield of fallacies and motivated reasoning traps, it must be used in conjunction with deductive reasoning in a carefully constructed framework like the scientific method.

And "the high and mighty deity" is the claim so it can't be the evidence at the same time that's not how logic works.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Getting one lucky shot where everything fits while you have an infinite amount of tries isn't insane - it's actually mathematically inevitable.
I think people can't truly fathom the scale of time evolution has had and continues to have to iteratively and recursively occur as an entire system, nor the complexity there is beyond natural selection.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting swamped with replies.

Uhmmmm....

Happenstance to describe the arrangement, ordering, reproduction of life, human consciousness, the world et al - is inane.

It's IMPOSSIBLE.
I'm not sure you fully grasp the sheer randomness of life in general, both on a genetic level and a species domographical level.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
No it wasn't. Its is an attempt to explain the mystery, but fails. It is built from the premise that evolution is true. It's not.
My explanation wasn't predicated on evolution being true. I merely illustrated the traits the animal shares between two forms.

Your answer doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The logic of the question - if we are all from pond scum, interrelated, of the same origin, why can't we intermingle? there is actual very little variance in DNA between the species - yet . . . a dog sperm wont fertilize a female cat egg.
Why do you think their shared origin means they should be able to reproduce in the future? That seems like a non sequiter. Also, the example I gave you was speciation in action. We know that species that used to be able to create offspring together can drift apart genetically and no longer reproduce. That's what ring species show us.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
What is it then? Explain it, don't point to a video, or a book, explain it simply in your own words.
It's life showing random mutations that, carried through generations over an extended period of time (we're talking millions of years,) ultimately results in a species becoming a different one.

As to why they can't breed with each other: say you have a wooden rod that can pass through a round hole. Every day you add a bit of clay to the rod for a full year, until it becomes a brick. You're asking "why isn't my brick fitting through the hole anymore?"

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Mythos reveal deeper truths about creation.

Are you refering to the Bible? WHat about it makes it a fairy tale?
EVERY SINGLE WORD OF IT. It's a fictional tale.

It's a FAIRY TALE.

That goes for any other religious "scripture" as well.

Here's some zingers from the Bible

• Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

• Exodus 35:2 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death.

• Ezekiel 18:13 He lends at interest and takes a profit. Will such a man live? He will not! Because he has done all these detestable things, he is to be put to death; his blood will be on his own head.

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

It's a tool of control for the weak minded masses at the time. Shame so many still buy into it.

tumblr_inline_mfkv08iDSX1qmueiv.gif

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Last edited:

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You can't disprove evolution without explaining speciation through some other means.

If your stance is 'evolution isn't real because dogs don't turn into cats', you can't disprove evolution with that. Whatever you propose as the new explanation MUST explain everything we witness both in the heralded fossil record and in recent human memory. In recent human memory, we have introduced species to new environments and witnessed speciation occurring. Speciation is real. Species are witnessed as changing over time also. Diversification is real.

You have to explain ALL of this with any new theory.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017

It's a FAIRY TALE.

• Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

• Exodus 35:2 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death.

• Ezekiel 18:13 He lends at interest and takes a profit. Will such a man live? He will not! Because he has done all these detestable things, he is to be put to death; his blood will be on his own head.

When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

It's a tool of control for the weak minded masses at the time. Shame so many still buy into it.

I don't see how that constitutes "a fairy tale."

Do you like Proverbs?

Any value there?

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
While that might be true (and I think it's very probable), logic would still dictate the agnostic stance on it. As I said, you can't disprove a negative. It's just like with most atheists, internet debates aside, there is very little reason to argue about something nobody has any evidence for.

Like, I actually noticed this with myself, I never talk about this stuff in real life. I am an atheist, most of my friends are atheists, even with friends who believe the topic never comes up. And that's for a topic so ingrained into society that it's almost impossible to get rid off. It's actually so ingrained that this is probably the only topic where people actually have to point out that they are agnostic somethings.

If religion didn't predate science by a few dozen millenia we would not have to have this conversation (over and over and over again). Talking about god or gods would probably be in the same category as talking about unicorns, gnomes, or the flying spaghetti monster. And people wouldn't have to say I'm an agnostic atheist, just an atheist, the rest would be just as implicit as if we were talking about most other nonsense.

Ah thanks, that makes sense. I misunderstood the meaning I think.

Great post by the way, I fully agree with you.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
It's life showing random mutations that, carried through generations over an extended period of time (we're talking millions of years,) ultimately results in a species becoming a different one.

As to why they can't breed with each other: say you have a wooden rod that can pass through a round hole. Every day you add a bit of clay to the rod for a full year, until it becomes a brick. You're asking "why isn't my brick fitting through the hole anymore?"

Watch his next reply be "but how can that happen if the earth is only 6000 years old" or some shit like that

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is not evidence of one species of an animal in the process of making the leap to another.

It refers to flowers of like type making a new hybrid.
It refers to a new species being created.

It is an example of speciation (there are other types too)... because if the new flower, can only breed with like flowers, and it didn't exist before... it is by definition a new species.

That's what a species is. Something that either cannot, or does not, produce fertile offspring outside of its kind.

If mules were fertile, and COULDN'T reproduce with Donkeys or Horses and could only reproduce with other mules, they would be a new species.

Donkeys and Horses are separate species, but still genetically close enough to have infertile offspring.

They are by definition two different species.

A mule is by definition not a species.

This new flower is a new species.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

It's a FAIRY TALE.

Most religious people don't even know about those citations because they never read these "holy scriptures". All Abrahamic scriptures have evil crap like that.

The majority of religious people I've met have created their own warped version of a religion. But that's not how it works.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent huge chunks of the last three decades arguing with creationists. I'm currently butting heads with a couple of them in a Youtube series (I know, Youtube comments, but I can't help myself). I can smell fakers. There's a degree of sincerity to genuine believers. Poes are close, but often leave tell-tale clues. His repeated usage of particular phrases is making my Spidey sense tingle. Believers, contrary to popular belief, do not simply parrot things they've been told. They don't question, but they will change up the vernacular. Their argumentation is organic. Poes have a script. This guy is following a script.

His hostility, his dismissal, his argumentation,... it all reeks of Poe to me.
Yeah, I'm giving up.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017

But there is no evidence of your claim? Your postulate does not hold water. If your claim is true there would be evidence in the fossil record. There isn't any.

as to your second point:

Scientists, have been daring the devil, via invitro methods, or lab work to get one species ovum to mingle with the sperm of another species, try as they might, to no avail.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Guys, you're like one post away from having to deal with a fucking crocoduck post. It's time to stop, for your own sanity's sake.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I'm also of the opinion that a lot of people are doing it wrong because it was rigged by the higher up church officials. If concepts like purgatory are just able to be patched into and out of existence, something's up.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
lol este tema...deben cerrar este tema ya , se ha devolucionado en una pelea bien estupida de una persona que obviamente esta jodiendo con ustedes(bueno yo espero que este jodiendo).

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not American. UK.
Nice. I lived there for 5 years in the Lakenheath/Brandon area. We went to church there as well and this was not a belief they peddled.

I'm Christian by choice and believe evolution is a tool to facilitate a universe with obvious rules in place. A lot of Christians and atheists alike treat the Bible like a history book instead of a spiritual one... especially considering the amount of human hands it went through to get to where it is now.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
As an aside for anyone unaccustomed to seeing or dealing with this type of hostility (in actual theists), Darkmatter2525 did an excellent video illustrating why you'll encounter people like that. Basically, it's tied to the ego.

Oct 25, 2017
But there is no evidence of your claim? Your postulate does not hold water. If your claim is true there would be evidence in the fossil record. There isn't any.

as to your second point:

Scientists, have been daring the devil, via invitro methods, or lab work to get one species ovum to mingle with the sperm of another species, try as they might, to no avail.

Wait, do you think Evolution is when two different species do the hunka chunka?

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You can't disprove evolution without explaining speciation through some other means.

If your stance is 'evolution isn't real because dogs don't turn into cats', you can't disprove evolution with that.

Whatever you propose as the new explanation MUST explain everything we witness both in the heralded fossil record and in recent human memory. In recent human memory, we have introduced species to new environments and witnessed speciation occurring. Speciation is real. Species are witnessed as changing over time also. Diversification is real.

You have to explain ALL of this with any new theory.

Evolution is disproved by it's preposterous, unsupported claims.

You say there is record of one species leaping into another midway - show me.

Only adapation of a species has been observed, and recorded, never the giant leap.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Most religious people don't even know about those citations because they never read these "holy scriptures". All Abrahamic scriptures have evil crap like that.

The majority of religious people I've met have created their own warped version of a religion. But that's not how it works.
Oh I know. It's amazing.

You want to talk to people who are educated on religions.. talk to an atheist. They were the ones that actually paid attention and realized it's all nonsense.

You want to to go to a place that openly practices exclusion and hatred... go to a church.

Gay? GET OUT, YOU WILL BURN IN HELL!
Inter-racial marriage? GET OUT, YOU WILL BURN IN HELL!
Any other religion? GET OUT... oh you get the point.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
It refers to a new species being created.

It is an example of speciation (there are other types too)... because if the new flower, can only breed with like flowers, and it didn't exist before... it is by definition a new species.

That's what a species is. Something that either cannot, or does not, produce fertile offspring outside of its kind.

If mules were fertile, and COULDN'T reproduce with Donkeys or Horses and could only reproduce with other mules, they would be a new species.

Donkeys and Horses are separate species, but still genetically close enough to have infertile offspring.

They are by definition two different species.

A mule is by definition not a species.

This new flower is a new species.
Gonna quote this so he can't ignore it

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018

as to your second point:

There is evidence in the fossil record but each time something is found that has hybrid features exactly when scientists predicted they should be found in the fossil record believers dismiss them as fully formed "kinds" or species that don't prove anything according to them. Go read about tiktaalik for example and educate yourself about evolution which is by the way one of the most profoundly tested and confirmed scientific theory in existence.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Experience strenghtens your faith? The Relationship you have with god is pretty similar to the one you have to your love. Trust is something that comes with time and with experience. You won't trust your girlfriend as soon as you get together, you'll trust her more when you are married to said girl for 30 years. So it's faith, through experiences. I made experiences with god which have strengthen my faith.

I've got someone where i could go to if i'm in need. Also Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" is something that keeps me motivated and happy even if i struggle. That's not something anything or any human can give me.

The experiences with human are demonstrable. It's not the same AT ALL.

Ironically. It is something a human is giving you. Whether it's the author or just yourself.

That kind of passage I think sounds nice but I actually think is morally repugnant. Does that mean that if you don't love god let or believe he exists bad things should happen to you? Or if you believe and love god and something horrible happens to you it has to be twisted into meaning that it's actually good for you?

Sorry but that kind of passage is only comforting on the surface. A deeper evaluation makes it pretty disturbing.