• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you classify yourself?

• Gnostic Theist

Votes: 271 11.9%
  • Agnostic Theist

Votes: 231 10.2%
  • Gnostic Atheist

Votes: 272 12.0%
  • Agnostic Atheist

Votes: 1,285 56.6%
  • Apatheist

Votes: 210 9.3%

• Total voters

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything more rude than asking questions, getting linked detailed sources that contain answers but dismissing them because you want them personally written out for you? You might as well ask for a hand written essay to be sent in the mail.
I think the issue is that people want answers that tell them "why", and when those don't exist, they seek comfort in invented ones.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I was thinking the same thing, like I'm okay with the idea that there was/could possibly be a deity that created the universe/existence but evolution is kind of universally-accepted now. You so much money,resources and ,manpower that goes into the research of evolution why would it be just made up. Especially because some of the most powerful nations in the world are extremely religious.

Evolution isn't just made up cause. It's simply beleived without any supporting evidence as to its contentions. It's all postualtes and theory and what ifs, and then maybe this happeneed.

You think it's true, but if you really look at it. It's phoney.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is handwaving.
You believe evolution is true
Well back it up.
Debate me.

Answer the postulate as to why there is no midway example in the fossil record of one species becoming another?

Like at all....
None...
No examples.
No evidence...

Zero...
There are living examples of speciation. Ring species for one, show it quite elegantly. I'd recommend reading up on them, because they are fascinating. The Ensatina are my favorite.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Hi all, the reason why Atisha won't answer my question on how he can trust his senses, is because of the simple answer that he can't. He has no direct proof of god. His belief is all the proof he has. He believes the Divine Scripture is Divine, therefor proof of God, therefor proof that Divine Scripture is divine. It's circular, self-justifying.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Evolution isn't just made up cause. It's simply beleived without any supporting evidence as to its contentions. It's all postualtes and theory and what ifs, and then maybe this happeneed.

You think it's true, but if you really look at it. It's phoney.
I'm trying so hard not to get banned, but please answer my past questions. What is your religion?

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
People spend years, sometimes decades of their lives studying biological sciences, writing paper after paper and conducting tests and experiments, working to get them properly peer reviewed and accepted by the community, and this guy wants a paragraph summation that he's going to dismiss anyway.

Like I said, guys. A Poe. He isn't genuine. He's trolling you, and you're buying into it.

Starve the troll.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There is no midway in the fossil record....

Thats a main point.... Come on man.

I know, you all believe evolution is true . . . and you are reluctant to get your eyes opened.
We don't need the fossil record when there are *living examples* of it. The fossil record is incomplete and always will be.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
People spend years, sometimes decades of their lives studying biological sciences, writing paper after paper and conducting tests and experiments, working to get them properly peer reviewed and accepted by the community, and this guy wants a paragraph summation that he's going to dismiss anyway.

Like I said, guys. A Poe. He isn't genuine. He's trolling you, and you're buying into it.

Starve the troll.
I'm not fully convinced he is because I used to make those kinds of posts a long time ago. I fully believed what I was saying too.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

Starve the troll.
Yeah you're right, either way it's not really worth my time anymore I'm gone.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
the man is like one of those flat earthers who cling to a single, easily disproven argument and just repeat it over and over, deflecting any attempt to reason with him. move on y'all

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You evidently can't debate a person either. If you're not willing to as much as watch a video to understand the basics of your opponent's stance you're not capable of debating anyone.

I watched a couple they are rooted in fraudulent ideas.

If you have a point to make please do, and i will address it honorably.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
There are living examples of speciation. Ring species for one, show it quite elegantly. I'd recommend reading up on them, because they are fascinating. The Ensatina are my favorite.

There is no midway, one into another, in the entire fossil record.

HUGE POINT.
Should undermine the entirty of evolutionary theory by itself, if you had an open mind.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
No religious beliefs.
The concept is a man made construct that was produced for two reasons. Controlling people, and trying to explain away things you don't understand.

There have been thousands of religions spanning thousands of years... and guess what.... all of them are fiction. Every last one.

The part I love is hyper-religious folks that just live for forcing their nonsense onto others. Meanwhile, they are ignoring the basics of their own belief system.
They will spout racism, bigotry, just flat out hatred... because they "think" their man in the sky wants it that way. Meanwhile they never bothered reading a shred of the book they claim to follow so closely.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
What is the point of this post?

You wanted a "hybrid" fossil of a creature between cats and dogs. That's one of a common ancestor of both. Neither cat nor dog, neither canidae nor felidae, just an example of a family that was before. Found in like 40 seconds of google.

All the evidence you asked is there for all to see. It's not my fault if you refuse to read it.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

HUGE POINT.
Should undermine the entirty of evolutionary theory by itself, if you had an open mind.
How can the fossil record (which is incomplete) disprove the occurrence of speciation when you can see it happening in living things right now?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's where faith plays a part in. Sure, might be that i'm mistaken. I feel loved and supported and even if this only takes place in my head, it's apparently helping me.

Faith can be used to believe anything. It means believing something without having a good reason. It doesn't address the fundamental problem of my question.

You also moved the goal posts. Before you said it was experience. Now it's faith. Next time say faith from the beginning.

How is it helping you?

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I'm not fully convinced he is because I used to make those kinds of posts a long time ago. I fully believed what I was saying too.

I've spent huge chunks of the last three decades arguing with creationists. I'm currently butting heads with a couple of them in a Youtube series (I know, Youtube comments, but I can't help myself). I can smell fakers. There's a degree of sincerity to genuine believers. Poes are close, but often leave tell-tale clues. His repeated usage of particular phrases is making my Spidey sense tingle. Believers, contrary to popular belief, do not simply parrot things they've been told. They don't question, but they will change up the vernacular. Their argumentation is organic. Poes have a script. This guy is following a script.

His hostility, his dismissal, his argumentation,... it all reeks of Poe to me.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
you've disproven nothing.
neither have you. you have been linked a ton of evidence though which you fail to acknowledge as long as nobody here takes the time to reiturgate it for you in forum post form (which you, then again, will deflect with "but muh fossil record"), which would be a collossal time waste as the material is already available in readable form read it motherfucker we aren't here to do your homework for you

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You wanted a "hybrid" fossil of a creature between cats and dogs. That's one of a common ancestor of both. Neither cat nor dog, neither canidae nor felidae, just an example of a family that was before. Found in like 40 seconds of google.

All the evidence you asked is there for all to see. It's not my fault if you refuse to read it.

I glanced through the wiki entry, at no point does it say; This is an example of one species turning into another midway.

If we are all descended from pond scum . . . ahem, then why can't we intermingle and procreate new species, since we are all related?
Why can't a dog get with a cat and make a cog?

Why thorughout the entire fossil record is there no evidence whatsoever of one species leaping into another?

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
neither have you. you have been linked a ton of evidence though which you fail to acknowledge as long as nobody here takes the time to reiturgate it for you in forum post form (which you, then again, will deflect with "but muh fossil record"), which would be a collossal time waste as the material is already available in readable form read it motherfucker we aren't here to do your homework for you

They contain no evidence.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Well, you're never going to find a fossil of a monkey becoming a frog or whatever. You're thinking of witchcraft or transmogrification, not evolution.

You have a bit of an open mind, go back to what i said regarding the postulate and mull it over.

I believe you will find your contentions and dismay are safeguarding what you hold to be true and infallible.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017

HUGE POINT.
Should undermine the entirety of evolutionary theory by itself, if you had an open mind.
Was my archaeopteryx post not satisfactory?

If we are all descended from pond scum . . . ahem, then why can't we intermingle and procreate new species, since we are all related?

I answered this already:

This is due to speciation. As groups of the same species accrue mutations, their chromosomes become so different they can no longer match up. This is an actual observation we see in the world. You should check out ring species, if you're curious about this.

But I guess you're selectively replying here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I glanced through the wiki entry, at no point does it say; This is an example of one species turning into another midway.

Why thorughout the entire fossil record is there no evidence whatsoever of one species leaping into another?

Ok, you are so obtuse that you can only be a troll.

Bye.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is no midway in the fossil record....

Thats a main point.... Come on man.

I know, you all believe evolution is true . . . and you are reluctant to get your eyes opened.

Hahahaha. Every fossil is a midway point. The only way there isn't a midway point is if we found a fossil of you and your mother.

You don't understand how biology works. AT ALL.

Also biological evolution is a fact. A present day observable fact. What the fossil record supports is the theory that we share common ancestry and that evolution explains the diversity of life on the planet.

The fossil record alone would be more than enough to justify this with a basic understanding of biology. But in science, what gives high confidence is when it all fits together. And it does..... Geology. Genetics. Molecular biology. Virology. Anatomy. Medicine. Ecology. And yes... The fossil record.

Evolution is not only incredibly well understood and supported. It's inevitable. You can program a very basic simulation and it would happen.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Born and raised Catholic (alter boy, Catholic school), in a both religiously and culturally, but relatively tolerant house (my parents religious ire was only ever directed at Protestants, lols). Became an "atheist" when I was 17. Became an agnostic when I was 18. Dove into Zen Buddhism when I was 19. By the time I was 25 I had moved into Advaita Vedanta (a movement of Hinduism), and by the time I was 28 I was a "non-theist" meaning the concept of the existence or non-existence of God was irrelevant. When I was 34 I met Jesus at a DMV who told me he was a Muslim. When I was 35 I heard the call to Islam. The next year I fasted for Ramadan, had multiple experiences that convinced me God existed, and converted soon thereafter. I turn 40 in two days. Don't get me wrong - I really get people who don't believe in God - but at the same time I think if you open yourself up to the possibility of a religious experience God will communicate with you.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
But yet, the fairy tales written in scripture and mistranslated over thousands of years... totally true. Got it.

You're a troll. No other explanation.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Born and raised Catholic (alter boy, Catholic school), in a both religiously and culturally, but relatively tolerant house (my parents religious ire was only ever directed at Protestants, lols). Became an "atheist" when I was 17. Became an agnostic when I was 18. Dove into Zen Buddhism when I was 19. By the time I was 25 I had moved into Advaita Vedanta (a movement of Hinduism), and by the time I was 28 I was a "non-theist" meaning the concept of the existence or non-existence of God was irrelevant. When I was 34 I met Jesus at a DMV who told me he was a Muslim. When I was 35 I heard the call to Islam. The next year I fasted for Ramadan, had multiple experiences that convinced me God existed, and converted soon thereafter. I turn 40 in two days. Don't get me wrong - I really get people who don't believe in God - but at the same time I think if you open yourself up to the possibility of a religious experience God will communicate with you.
Or you just wanted something to believe in.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
And listen, my belief in evolution has nothing to do with my disbelief in God. We don't yet have a scientific theory anything like as well researched and backed up by evidence to explain how life began, and that also has no bearing on me being 100% certain that God or Gods don't exist.

Just the same way you can think God is nonsense and believe in ghosts or whatever (I don't believe in anything supernatural personally).

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Was my archaeopteryx post not satisfactory?

I answered this already:

But I guess you're selectively replying here.

No it wasn't. Its is an attempt to explain the mystery, but fails. It is built from the premise that evolution is true. It's not.

Your answer does't hold up to scrutiny. The logic of the question - if we are all from pond scum, interrealted, of the same origin, why can't we intermingle? there is actual very little variance in DNA between the species - yet . . . a dog sperm wont fertilize a female cat egg.

A whale doens't become a turtle.

A bear does't become a lion.

There is no midway on record - ever.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Agnostic means "its not possible to truly know" that there isn't a god, right?
It seems to me that it is perfectly possible to truly know that, just like a lot of other things I dont believe in that are obviously not real, but I havent got to disprove them myself to know that, or see some scientific proof or watch a TED talk about it to know that.

Like Heaven and Hell or the devil, if you asked "do you believe in the devil?" instead of God, a lot more people would be definitive (I think) - even if you gave them the same agnostic option.

While that might be true (and I think it's very probable), logic would still dictate the agnostic stance on it. As I said, you can't disprove a negative. It's just like with most atheists, internet debates aside, there is very little reason to argue about something nobody has any evidence for.

Like, I actually noticed this with myself, I never talk about this stuff in real life. I am an atheist, most of my friends are atheists, even with friends who believe the topic never comes up. And that's for a topic so ingrained into society that it's almost impossible to get rid off. It's actually so ingrained that this is probably the only topic where people actually have to point out that they are agnostic somethings.

If religion didn't predate science by a few dozen millenia we would not have to have this conversation (over and over and over again). Talking about god or gods would probably be in the same category as talking about unicorns, gnomes, or the flying spaghetti monster. And people wouldn't have to say I'm an agnostic atheist, just an atheist, the rest would be just as implicit as if we were talking about most other nonsense.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You have a bit of an open mind, go back to what i said regarding the postulate and mull it over.

I believe you will find your contentions and dismay are safeguarding what you hold to be true and infallible.
I would let you down there, I'm afraid. I consider myself vaguely spiritual in an atheist-y way, but I'm also a cancer biologist (and part-time immunologist) by trade. Many of the innovations made in therapies and techniques have been made possible thanks to the understanding and application of evolutionary principles. I would have to close my eyes (rather than open them) to ignore the evidence from almost every discipline of biology that supports evolutionary theory. It's just too compelling. And I believe that understanding should be born from evidence, rather than ignoring or reshaping evidence to fit an existing paradigm. Even if you don't accept it, I think understanding evolutionary biology would help you crystallize your issues with it, and maybe even address some of them.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting swamped with replies.

Uhmmmm....

Happenstance to describe the arrangement, ordering, reproduction of life, human consciousness, the world et al - is inane.

It's IMPOSSIBLE.
Getting one lucky shot where everything fits while you have an infinite amount of tries isn't insane - it's actually mathematically inevitable.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Faith can be used to believe anything. It means believing something without having a good reason. It doesn't address the fundamental problem of my question.

You also moved the goal posts. Before you said it was experience. Now it's faith. Next time say faith from the beginning.

How is it helping you?

Experience strenghtens your faith? The Relationship you have with god is pretty similar to the one you have to your love. Trust is something that comes with time and with experience. You won't trust your girlfriend as soon as you get together, you'll trust her more when you are married to said girl for 30 years. So it's faith, through experiences. I made experiences with god which have strengthen my faith.

I've got someone where i could go to if i'm in need. Also Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" is something that keeps me motivated and happy even if i struggle. That's not something anything or any human can give me.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
In your heart, you know God is real, and from the sounds of it, it's pretty special. I'm never, NEVER, going to try to take that away from anyone.

In my heart, there is not even the tiniest glimmer of God. So I don't believe. At all.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Or you just wanted something to believe in.
Yeah some people think they have to choose some kind of side.
A religion, a full on atheist, a fatalist, whatever. You can also just live your life and not need any of that stuff.
It's mostly the wrestling with being insignificant that people can't seem to deal with. It's really liberating for me though.
Maybe i lack the vanity of religious people.

Anyway, not here to make people change their minds. Just baffled by some stuff.