• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you classify yourself?

• Gnostic Theist

Votes: 271 11.9%
  • Agnostic Theist

Votes: 231 10.2%
  • Gnostic Atheist

Votes: 272 12.0%
  • Agnostic Atheist

Votes: 1,285 56.6%
  • Apatheist

Votes: 210 9.3%

• Total voters

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Now my head hurts, religion truly blinds.
just remember everyone knowledge is power.
Just here to say this channel is one of the best new things out there, very relaxing/teaching/entertaining. Everyone should watch the entire series.

(now back to eating popcorn! This thread is something... still convinced he is just a troll)
Yeah the channel is amazing, PBS space time is good if you want to lean about some physics and the universe too.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
All of you atheistis always demure to read the science books. Everytime i encounter a scientist getting to the nitty gritty expanation, it boils down to we don't know - yet.

Try explaining it too me - yourself.

The World it's arrangement, the heavenly alignments - all are proof of God. A million fingers, all pointing the way to religion.

If you believe the world, and life came to be as a result of a never ending series of happenstance - so be it.
You have plenty of other posters here that are pointing you in the direction of some very informative videos that will at the very least provide you with a starting point.

Meanwhile, feel free to go into why the world's arrangement and the heavenly alignments point towards a god, and why that explanation is the most plausible one.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Thats what you say, how do you know? If true, which it's not, how did the first plants get here.
From Dr. Darren Naish's Evolution in Minutes:
Dr. Darren Naish said:
The first plants to move onto land were algae, the group that includes microscopic, planktonic forms as well as seaweeds. Species formed films, or mats, at the edges of pools and streams, and later across mudflats and shorelines. By about 450 mya, during the Ordovician, fossil spores show that plants similar to modern liverworts were living on land. Like algae, these would have been dependent on constant access to water and would have dried out if a water covering was not available. Truly terrestrial plants appeared around 430 mya, during the Silurian. The oldest is Cooksonia, a tiny, simple plant just a few millimetres high.

hf8YmTOl.png

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You have plenty of other posters here that are pointing you in the direction of some very informative videos that will at the very least provide you with a starting point.

Meanwhile, feel free to go into why the world's arrangement and the heavenly alignments point towards a god, and why that explanation is the most plausible one.

A starting point to believing nonsense?

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I am very surprised at the amount of people who answer Agnostic in the survey, did not expect that to be the winning option.

Why. I'd consider anyone who put gnostic anything in the survey suspect. Gnostic theists because I'd like to hear that story, and gnostic atheists because they should know that you can't disprove a negative.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Because that's not how evolution works or is even claimed to work. Your fundamental misunderstanding of the concept doesn't affect its validity.

Still lots of hand waving going on.

Explain it.

At no point is there a midstep in the fossil record of a frog becomming a dog.

At no point in recorded history do we find one species of animal midway becomming another.

It's ridiculous.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
A starting point to believing nonsense?

Well that settles it. You've decided it's nonsense without examining the content. You've poisoned your own well.

Explain it.

At no point in recorded history do we find one species of animal midway becomming another.

It's ridiculous.

Nevermind. I no longer believe you are genuine. I strongly suspect you're a Poe.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Explain it.

It's ridiculous.
Because that's not how evolution works.

Multiple people have explained this to you.

And you accuse others of arguing in bad faith and ignoring your arguments?

You asked me last page why I hate religion? This is why.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Even the current Pope believes then evolution. Denying evolution at this point is like posting online that you don't believe that the internet is real.

He's just saying what he thinks will get more people back to the fold.

If you look at evolution theory, it doesn't hold up - at all.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
THe world is ordered arranged and interdependent. This speaks to an intellect being behind it's order, arrangement and harmony.

Order, arrangement, harmony, interdependenece, function, duty, does not point towards happenstance.

According to your post everything is planned by this deity...? Nothing is coincidental?

Then this "intellectual" is doing a shitty job maintaining the world and its people.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely think you'd enjoy learning about evolutionary history and how evolution works. People won't debate you in good faith if you make claims that show you haven't engaged with the fundamentals of even fairly outdated evolutionary theory. No one is going to tutor you.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
So accroding to your post everything is planned by this deity...? Nothing is coincidental?

Then this "intellectual" is doing a shitty job maintaining the world and its people.

The Intellecutal mainting this world and it's people is the law giver, not the creator diety.

The condition of the world is indicative of the behavior of the people. More clearly, the condition of the world is in response to the behavior of the people.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. I never thought to actually come across a person who doesn't believe in evolution.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Now my head hurts, religion truly blinds.
just remember everyone knowledge is power.

Yeah the channel is amazing, PBS space time is good if you want to lean about some physics and the universe too.

Is there a SicenceTube OT thread on era? Vertasium, minute physics, 3Blue1Brown, Kurzgesagt, Atlas Pro... there are a lot of very good Sience entertainment/teaching channels on youtube and a full recomendations list here would be cool.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I never thought to actually come across a person who doesn't believe in evolution.
I knew two religious biology majors who didn't "believe in evolution". It's such a fundamental principle that underpins all of biology, but it happens. It's what happens when you base your understanding of the world on dead preconceptions that don't evolve rather than listening to what the data itself is telling you.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
There's no point in debating you if you think the videos are absurd. You're just a brainwashed tool.

This is handwaving.
You believe evolution is true
Well back it up.
Debate me.

Answer the postulate as to why there is no midway example in the fossil record of one species becoming another?

Like at all....
None...
No examples.
No evidence...

Zero...

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
100% don't believe.

However, I recognize other people 100% believe, and one of us is wrong. My certainty isn't infallibility, if that makes sense. But it doesn't change that I'm 100% certain God doesn't exist.

I just know I've been wrong before when I was 100% certain about things.

This normally confuses the hell out of people, but that's how it is. There is zero doubt in my mind. I will never hesitate to say that there is no God. There is no maybe in my brain.

But I could be wrong. That isn't doubt. That's acknowledging that my level of certainty (100%) has no bearing on reality.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I was thinking the same thing, like I'm okay with the idea that there was/could possibly be a deity that created the universe/existence but evolution is kind of universally-accepted now. You so much money,resources and ,manpower that goes into the research of evolution why would it be just made up. Especially because some of the most powerful nations in the world are extremely religious.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Why. I'd consider anyone who put gnostic anything in the survey suspect. Gnostic theists because I'd like to hear that story, and gnostic atheists because they should know that you can't disprove a negative.

Agnostic means "its not possible to truly know" that there isn't a god, right?
It seems to me that it is perfectly possible to truly know that, just like a lot of other things I dont believe in that are obviously not real, but I havent got to disprove them myself to know that, or see some scientific proof or watch a TED talk about it to know that.

Like Heaven and Hell or the devil, if you asked "do you believe in the devil?" instead of God, a lot more people would be definitive (I think) - even if you gave them the same agnostic option.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The Intellecutal mainting this world and it's people is the law giver, not the creator diety.

The condition of the world is indicative of the behavior of the people. More clearly, the condition of the world is in response to the behavior of the people.

In how many deities do you believe in?

Just being curious.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
Is there anything more rude than asking questions, getting linked detailed sources that contain answers but dismissing them because you want them personally written out for you? You might as well ask for a hand written essay to be sent in the mail.