• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you classify yourself?

• Gnostic Theist

Votes: 271 11.9%
  • Agnostic Theist

Votes: 231 10.2%
  • Gnostic Atheist

Votes: 272 12.0%
  • Agnostic Atheist

Votes: 1,285 56.6%
  • Apatheist

Votes: 210 9.3%

• Total voters

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Finally an admittance that science actually explains very little, if anything approaching rationality, about the looming and ponderous questions.

Everyone knows that trees don't just pop into existence.

They replicate through seed or cutting, this is their nature.

So how did they come to be?

Asteroid, Spaceman or Skydad?

What created the universe and how do you know this?

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I always use the Philip Larkin line - "I'm an agnostic but I'm an anglican agnostic". I grew up with the church and the people I knew there were good people. I like the hymns and the incense, I love the buildings and the art. But I'm not a believer. And I find the doctrine of faith baffling. The most holy people in the christian church, the apostles, didn't have to have faith because they witnessed miracles performed by Christ yet I'm supposed to believe based on nothing? And what about people who are brought up in cultures where Christianity is alien? They're all damned for eternity because they had the misfortune to be born in India or Japan?

I prefer the Dara O'Briain offshoot: "'I'm staunchly atheist, I simply don't believe in God, even if he believes in me. But I'm still Catholic, of course. Catholicism has a much broader reach than just the religion. I'm technically Catholic, it's the box you have to tick on the census form: 'Don't believe in God, but I do still hate Rangers' "

But seriously if God exists as a sentient being, He's an absolute monster by any concept of human morality.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
How did they get here, trees that is?

Be specific and use simple terms.
Science me!

I doubt you'll reply to the question instead, what you people do, judging by the reems of evidence in this thread is gang up, ignore the points of the debate, and take pot shots.
They evolved to be somethings we call a tree.

And they will continue to evolve, just like everything else.
If we stay still and listen, we can hear them say 'This is not even my final form' as a wind gently ruffles the shrubbery.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
The Universe is the final science project of the teen God.

It placed second, then throw it away somewhere and didn't care anymore.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
If he is does, he's certainly not involved in anything. Just set things in motion and now we are driving solo.(straight to hell).

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Finally an admittance that science actually explains very little, if anything approaching rationality, about the looming and ponderous questions.

Everyone knows that trees don't just pop into existence.

They replicate through seed or cutting, this is their nature.

So who planted the first tree?

Spaceman or Skydad?
Yeah, I didn't say that at all. I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to a simple misunderstanding, but please try not to strawman me or put words into my mouth. There's no point in interacting if that's the case.

I'm saying that there are scientific explanations for, say, the emergence of life and so on. If you want to know where the trees came from you can find the scientific explanations for that. I'm sure there are posters here that are far more knowledgeable than I am that can help you there.

Can science (as in the scientific method) explain everything we want to know with absolute certainty? No. At least not at this point. Maybe never.

But, and this is my point, the scientific method is by far the most reliable method of providing us with knowledge, and even if science were 100% wrong 100% of the time (it's not) then it still wouldn't help your case in any way. If you want to prove that a god created this world and the trees in it, it's up to you to provide us with evidence for that.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
wait do you not believe in evolution? PLEASE WATCH THIS!!!!!PLEASE

Too boring and smug. It's a whole bunch of glittery language that does't amount to much.

Darwin had an Axe to grind. He lost a beloved daughter.
Given enough time, you can snazzify the postulate into something that sounds dazzling but is nothing more than smoke and mirrors, and if you poke at it, it whiffs away like smoke. Given enough time a human mind can come up with an supporting argument, or rebuttal to a debate point that sounds kosher. Or they just deride and hand wave and act smugly.

If all species share a common origin, being all interrelated, and all variations of pond scum, why can they not intermingle and procreate with each other?

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Too boring and smug. It's a whole bunch of glittery language that does't amount to much.

Given enough time, you can snazzify the postulate into something that sounds dazzling but is nothing more than smoke and mirrors, and if you poke at it, it whiffs away like smoke. Given enough time a human mind can come up with an supporting argument, or rebuttal to a debate point that sounds kosher. Or they just deride and hand wave and act smugly.

If all species share a common origin, being all interrelated, and all variations of pond scum, why can they not intermingle and procreate with each other?
Another amazing channel, just search google man.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018

what

Oct 27, 2017

This is actually dumber than ""why we still got monkeys?"

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Because they evolved so much that they are now too different ? It's like Windows and macOS, they started from the same base, but evolved so much along the years than a program made to work on one will need several modifications to run on the other. Same idea, more or less.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Me anytime I read an Atisha post.

wpIw1xv.png

This dude is 100% serious.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, I didn't say that at all. I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to a simple misunderstanding, but please try not to strawman me or put words into my mouth. There's no point in interacting if that's the case.

I'm saying that there are scientific explanations for, say, the emergence of life and so on. If you want to know where the trees came from you can find the scientific explanations for that. I'm sure there are posters here that are far more knowledgeable than I am that can help you there.

Can science (as in the scientific method) explain everything we want to know with absolute certainty? No. At least not at this point. Maybe never.

But, and this is my point, the scientific method is by far the most reliable method of providing us with knowledge, and even if science were 100% wrong 100% of the time (it's not) then it still wouldn't help your case in any way. If you want to prove that a god created this world and the trees in it, it's up to you to provide us with evidence for that.

All of you atheistis always demure to read the science books. Everytime i encounter a scientist getting to the nitty gritty expanation, it boils down to we don't know - yet.

Try explaining it too me - yourself.

The World it's arrangement, the heavenly alignments - all are proof of God. A million fingers, all pointing the way to religion.

If you believe the world, and life came to be as a result of a never ending series of happenstance - so be it.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Hope you don't mind me asking. Are you Christian? Muslim?

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
This is due to speciation. As groups of the same species accrue mutations, their chromosomes become so different they can no longer match up. This is an actual observation we see in the world. You should check out ring species, if you're curious about this.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.

Because that's literally one of the defining characteristics of speciation. What makes you think that genetic variance would even allow interbreeding, despite common descent?

And pond scum? Seriously?

This is the age of information. you have literally the sum total of human knowledge at your fingertips, and if you're looking for evidence that leads to a conclusion (as opposed to starting with the conclusion and trying to make the evidence fit), you can find it.

Start here. it'll require reading, they use a lot of "boring" language and there's little in the way of illustrations, but this provides pertinent data with citations. You'll have to do some work. You know... like all investigators do.

Make note of the sections under evidence of human evolution and the index of creationist claims. This stuff is so thorough, that even Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis agrees that creationists shouldn't use some of them.

I have no idea what the options mean. I don't believe in anything would be my answer.

Congrats. You're an agnostic atheist like most of us.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Because they evolved so much that they are now too different ? It's like Windows and macOS, they started from the same base, but evolved so much along the years than a program made to work on one will need several modifications to run on the other. Same idea, more or less.

Throughout the fossil record there is no, none, never an example of a mid-step. There is no bog mummy found that is half cat half dog. There is no bird in the middle of becoming a frog.

If evolution were true, and it took a very long time, it would stand to reason that you would find some creature, at least one, in the middle stage of becomming another. But after a millenia of digging around, archeologists have never found such an example.

All we find throughout the fossil record are variations of specific species.

There has never been found any creature midway.

That truth should be enough to undermine evolution theory forever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You know, it's OK to admit you don't know something. We may not know all of nature's mysteries, but why do we have to infer something else? Just admit we don't know.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to the several Christians I know that insist Dinosaurs are a trick by the devil, and that the world is 6000 years old.
Every church I ever went to does not believe that. My dad is a minister and doesn't believe that. I think this is a very American/evangelical-centric idea. I even went to a Christian academy for a year and they didn't teach this.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You know, it's OK to admit you don't know something. We may not know all of nature's mysteries, but why do we have to infer something else? Just admit we don't know.

I do know. A creator Diety laid the foundations. Another deity made this and that. Another deity is charged with upkeep.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah I posted a better video about evoution, becasue I fear you don't believe in that.
This is a great vid too

Just here to say this channel is one of the best new things out there, very relaxing/teaching/entertaining. Everyone should watch the entire series.

(now back to eating popcorn! This thread is something... still convinced he is just a troll)

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Are you serious with that post?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Throughout the fossil record there is no, none, never an example of a mid-step. There is no bog mummy found that is half cat half dog. There is no bird in the middle of becoming a frog.

If evolution were true, and it took a very long time, it would stand to reason that you would find some creature, at least one, in the middle stage of becomming another. But after a millenia of digging around, archeologists have never found such an example.

You do realize that an evolution is not a finger snap right ? It's just very small changes after very small changes. There's no fossil that is half-cat or half-dog because such creature never existed. There was thousands of variations of creatures that where neither, that branched out and after thousands and thousands of small variations ended up as different species.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
All of you atheistis always demure to read the science books. Everytime i encounter a scientist getting to the nitty gritty expanation, it boils down to we don't know - yet.

Try explaining it too me - yourself.

The World it's arrangement, the heavenly alignments - all are proof of God. A million fingers, all pointing the way to religion.

If you believe the world, and life came to be as a result of a never ending series of happenstance - so be it.
You know there are Christians who believe in evolution, right? It's not exclusive to atheism.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Logic?

Sorry, but I'm laughing my ass off.

Reads like an answer you would get from a 6 years old after asking him about Santa Claus' existence.

THe world is ordered arranged and interdependent. This speaks to an intellect being behind it's order, arrangement and harmony.

Order, arrangement, harmony, interdependenece, function, duty, does not point towards happenstance.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You do realize that an evolution is not a finger snap right ? It's just very small changes after very small changes. There's no fossil that is half-cat or half-dog because such creature never existed. There was thousands of variations of creatures that where neither, that branched out and after thousands and thousands of small variations ended up as different species.

If its not a finger snap surely there must be a midstep in the fossile record?

We simply haven't found it right? Not yet?

Yet withiout this crucial evidence, or any evidence for that matter - evolution is true and lets play backgammon and anyone who says otherwise is a idiot.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.

*sigh*"

And seriously, my dude, half cat half dog? You do know that evolution would be disproven if we found a fossil that was transitional between two wildly differing taxonomic clades, right? No offspring outgrows it's ancestors and all offspring resemble their parents.

You're ticking all the boxes on the list of bad creationist arguments. Please read the links I've provided.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017

If evolution were true, and it took a very long time, it would stand to reason that you would find some creature, at least one, in the middle stage of becoming another. But after a millennia of digging around, archeologists have never found such an example.

Archaeopteryx is what you are describing. It has a bony tail; no modern birds have tails. It has claws; with the exception of Hoatzin hatchlings, bird fingers have fused into a single bone. It lacks the large sternum birds have for their large pectoral muscles used for flying. It has teeth, not a beak. Yet it has wings and feathers, features not shared by every therapod dinosaur.

And this is not the only transitional specimen we have found. There are hundreds.

800px-Archaeopteryx_lithographica_%28Berlin_specimen%29.jpg

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

Plenty of transitional human skeletal remains have been found.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
They evolved to be somethings we call a tree.

And they will continue to evolve, just like everything else.
If we stay still and listen, we can hear them say 'This is not even my final form' as a wind gently ruffles the shrubbery.

Thats what you say, how do you know? If true, which it's not, how did the first plants get here.