• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you classify yourself?

• Gnostic Theist

Votes: 271 11.9%
  • Agnostic Theist

Votes: 231 10.2%
  • Gnostic Atheist

Votes: 272 12.0%
  • Agnostic Atheist

Votes: 1,285 56.6%
  • Apatheist

Votes: 210 9.3%

• Total voters

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I don't believe in the concept of a god. From my viewpoint there is no god. But I couldn't care less if there would be one.
everyone can believe what he or she want.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Nope, I've seen too many things to believe that he doesn't (Children with Cancer is one of them)

We're just the universe experiencing itself.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Being Apatheist I guess is what helped me get out of my super conservative upbringing. Like, I distinctly remember realizing I didn't actually have to answer a bunch of questions about 'what is right/wrong?' or 'what is love?' Finally realizing it was fine to say "who knows? I don't really care" was super helpful to me.

But I'd probably really call my self gnostic atheist nowadays. I don't think there is anything.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
For our sakes, I hope this isn't a "photo".

I for one welcome the old ones return and h̥̪͖̼̬̫̗̜͙͋̂͛͜͜o͖̮̗͈̹̮̥̦̝͊̌͘͟p̛̛͇̪̟̪̃͋ͭͣͮ͒ͅͅͅe̘ͫͫ̿ͮ t̢̝̗̭̤̝̫͖͚̣̪̩̱̱̫̗͚̘̀h͏̸̞̗̩͉͕̼̤͈̟̳͖̫̘͕ͅe̡͉̝̫̮͔̦͇̜̙̱̕y̼͈̺̘̘̙̤͙̮̰̟̳͉̩͎̗̯͚̺͘͞͞ ͙̹̗̟͔̱̻͔͖̺̘̫͠w̵̢̞̳͚͈̝͇̞̠͝i͓̲͚̹͉̬̱̤̻̬̻͟͟l̴̴̡̗̗̥̥͖̺͔̞̪̳̤̙̰͉̝ͅl̢̮̠̻̦͇͙̠̘͍̜͔͉̕͘͟ ̴̫̲̥̞̥͖͍̪̜̦̼͕͍͎͈̭͢͡͝͝ṣ͈̲͓́́h̀҉͉̗̺̣͕͓̦̮̳̥̗̯͖o̵̙̮̼̣͍̫̦͚̰̗̪͙͎̦͍̩͎͘͡w̷̡͙͖̮͚͓̠̰̝̩̻̫͓̰̟͙̟̩͘ͅ ̨̙̯̗̪̣̲̺̻̼͍̳͎͚͉̖͍́ͅͅm̶̨̛̞͓̖̞̠͇̹̩e̵͞͏̵̯̣̝̞̲̗̳̗͍̟̥̙̞͎̥̙̦̘̬r̬̻̝̣͘͟c̢̨͔̙̻̬̙̣̦̗̭̮̩̹̗̝͚͢y̧̛̻͉͍̞̕ ̗̺͉͉̹̩̮̫̼̗͎̟̻̥̀͘͠͠t͏̪̭̤̖̜̞̩͙̙̮̭̪̳o͍͓͉̦̝̤̙̣͍͚̘̪͉̙̺͉̦̖̮͢͠ ̷̖̪̱͖̗̝̠͈͙̬͔̕͜u̷̶̫͇̞̮̤̬̦͓s҉̛̯̻̫͙̺͘̕ ͝҉̠̳͇̗̺̟̀̀̕à̲̪͖̙́ĺ̞̗̺̬̖̼̠͍͟͢ĺ̕̕͏̳̭̖͇̻̼̱̯͔̱̗̮.̢̲͉͙̭̣̳̞̳͔̺̘̹͓̖̩̘̺͜͟͜͞ͅͅ

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
After the sexual, physical and emotional abuse I suffered as a child in the church, there is an ice cubes chance on the surface of the sun that I would ever trust religion again.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
All phenomial aspects of creation, from the globe, all phenominal aspects of the planet, to the galaxy in which it whirls, the arrangement of the heavens, everything you see, and breathe, and on and on example after example all point bespoke back to the creator diety.

Have you ever considered fire?
Or wood? Or trees? They all do a duty, they perform multiple functions.
On and on.
Ah the good old "but look at the trees" argument never fails to be hilarious.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The fuck...why cant I just choose NORMAL agnostic, ie, i dont know shit and am just as open to bearded man on cloud up in heaven as I am to black nothing when we die?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I've already said it more than once but so much here reminds me of Ray Comfort's and I guess apologetics in general's bad faith arguments.

I hate letting this get more views but so much of this topic.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
No it isn't. I hate this poor argument. People who don't believe in a god see beauty in life all the time. And if they don't they should probably see a therapist.

I'm only talking for myself here. I'm not saying people who don't believe don't see beauty or meaning in life. It's just that for me it's personally meaningless if I can't believe there a reason behind creation.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't believe in a god and don't think any supernatural stuff is going on.

But then again i can't deny that there're facts in this world/universe i can't explain or understand.

The universe is expanding. That's a fact. For it to be able to expand there must be "room" around it into which it can expand. But that doesn't make sense because there can't be something behind everything as nothing is eternal.

Same with time or the universe itself. It has a beginning. But what was before that, or even before that.

THese are questions where i can absolutely understand some people taking the "easy way out and pointing to god. Or simply can't believe how this could be possible without a greater lifeform.

But then we must ask us who made the god, etc. and the whole thing starts over again.

This is beyond our understanding.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I literally cannot comprehend how someone can be told about religion and just go "Ok, sounds reasonable". Because it's clearly nonsense to anyone with an ounce of sense. It bends my brain that anyone thinks otherwise.

If there is something that makes people happy, gives them a meaning of life and perhaps helps them getting through hard shit i'm the last person on earth to question that.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't really know what I am. I tend to think I do believe in God but yet if there is a God, I wish they'd do something and tell humans to stop ruining his/her/ creations.

Then if we say God created the earth and so on, then who created God? How did God come into existance?

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
I personally don't believe in a god and don't think any supernatural stuff is going on.

But then again i can't deny that there're facts in this world/universe i can't explain or understand.

The universe is expanding. That's a fact. For it to be able to expand there must be "room" around it into which it can expand. But that doesn't make sense because there can't be something behind everything as nothing is eternal.

Same with time or the universe itself. It has a beginning. But what was before that, or even before that.

THese are questions where i can absolutely understand some people taking the "easy way out and pointing to god. Or simply can't believe how this could be possible without a greater lifeform.

But then we must ask us who made the god, etc. and the whole thing starts over again.

That somethings escapes the grasp of our common sense doesn't make it beyond our understanding. We have created mathematical models of universes that obviously are not our own with added microscopic dimensions that we can understand. Also the fabric of the universe the substrate that is space time is expanding it doesn't expand into something. Our intuition about the way stuff works at our scale fails to capture the way the universe works at the scale of the universe or the quantum level without math involved.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017

Without really commenting on your particular position

This is pretty much Anselm of Canterbury territory here (I think, if somebody more knowledgeable wants to chime in, feel free). The big problem I see with this thinking is that what theists define as god started as a vast ocean but over time will wither away into a puddle. If god is the thing that we can't understand (yet), god gets smaller and smaller every day.

Therefore I don't think this is a good argument to make.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all over the place
By pure rationality I know that I can't know whether it exists or not
By sentiment or intuition I feel it doesn't exist
But I kinda wish it would exist

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people

The problem is you're looking at this stuff from a human-centric perspective. The expansion of the universe can be like a balloon or dough. Things drift apart despite not magically "creating space" out of nothing.

PBS Spacetime is a great YouTube channel if you have interest in such a topic since they don't obfuscate too much and show you the math and science behind it.

Same with concepts like time: Knowing how the universe works makes you quickly realize that many "existential" questions are irrelevant, since nature doesn't follow any dogmas or logic. Just many coincidences and no "reason". There's no creator's point of view.

We have a very good but incomplete grasp of how the universe works. Just educate and entertain yourself for a while and suddenly not many things are actually beyond our understanding. It really helped me with my existential crises. Me not properly digging into these questions and not satisfying my curiosity was the actual problem. We're naturally terrified of the unknown.
But nowadays you can know and knowing is half the battle!

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Confronting the meaninglessnes of life and finding my own meaning if I can is way more interesting to me than accepting someone elses arbitrary invention which magically explains it all.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I believe there may be a God, or Gods, but not necessarily the way humans have portrayed them in various religions.

I think science and religion might believe in the same thing and not even know it.

This is why I think divides between religions are dumb as fuck. Why not just accept we all believe in different interpretations of the same thing? Or maybe they're all right?

What I basically have very little belief in is the idea that we/life is an accident. None of this looks like an accident to me. There are very clear DESIGNS, everywhere you look. That is no accident. A skeleton isn't an accident. A brain isn't an accident. Fuck that noise.

For me the easiest to believe theory is Ancient Alien theory. And Ancient Alien theory is basically a combination of science and religion.

Relying too heavily on either is a mistake I think.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
The problem is you're looking at this stuff from a human-centric perspective. The expansion of the universe can be like a balloon or dough. Things drift apart despite not magically "creating space" out of nothing.

PBS Spacetime is a great YouTube channel if you have interest in such a topic since they don't obfuscate too much and show you the math and science behind it.

Same with concepts like time: Knowing how the universe works makes you quickly realize that many "existential" questions are irrelevant, since nature doesn't follow any dogmas or logic. Just many coincidences and no "reason". There's no creator's point of view.

We have a very good but incomplete grasp of how the universe works. Just educate and entertain yourself for a while and suddenly not many things are actually beyond our understanding. It really helped me with my existential crises. Me not properly digging into these questions and not satisfying my curiosity was the actual problem. We're naturally terrified of the unknown.
But nowadays you can know and knowing is half the battle!
Thissss PBS spacetime is amazing.....it has shown me that humans kinda know alot about our universe. Math answers so many questions, and I everytime I hear a religious person say that we know nothing about the universe I just faced palm. Religion thrives off ignorance and fear.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't, and I think it's better that way because if God was real that would mean our creator is a fucking asshole.

Oct 27, 2017
Needs a "as long as these beliefs don't harm anyone" disclaimer.
That helps, but then people start not believing real shit like global warming and hide behind the same "we're not hurting anyone" as the planet dies around us. t least habitability-wise. Or anti-vaxx dumbasses bringing back eradicated diseases into our lives. Or that healthcare has to be earned and a good life has to be earned (whatever the fuck that even means). So nah. I think people shouldn't get to believe whatever they fucking wish.

Edit: Axelotl

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Thissss PBS spacetime is amazing.....it has also shown me that humans kinda know alot about our universe. Math answers so many questions, and I everytime I hear a religious person say that we know nothing about the universe I just faced palm.
Oh yeah, nice!
I mean we have actually thousands of years of science, building upon each other's work, expanding our knowledge in the process. Einstein's theory of relativity predicted black holes as a mathematical problem and not too long ago we were able to produce a picture of one. It's just one of many examples how solid and accurate our current understanding of physics are.

Nowhere near perfect, with many questions unanswered but far away from being clueless.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No, I don' t.
There is no reason to. No reason to believe this, somehow special, superstition over all the other ones in the world.
Of course I can't prove to anyone that something outside of the physics that the universe is made of, doesn't exist, so keeping intellectual honesty, I don't proclaim I know the truth, and nothing but the whole truth.

At the same time though, I'm expectin explainations and evidence. People are making quite the claims and profitting up the asshole with them.
Where is their evidence? I mean, rational people would surely like to know where their efforts and money are going, right?

You wouldn't just hand all of your savings to a used-car salesman because he promises you that by buying that car you just got a spot in the V.I.P lounge after your death (probably caused by the shitty car car you just bought), right?

Religion is an Industry. And just like any other industry they want people's money first and foremost.

There certainly are people in my life who are very precious to me, who are firm believers. These are the people who keep their belief PERSONAL. They are the people who think your beliefs are a deeply intimate thing. They don't tell me I'm going to hell to suffer for all eternity if I don't accept their incompetent, yet omniscient, Father figure who actually loves me very much despite having a special torture place for me. Sounds like a good relationship, btw.

They don't bother me, I don't bother them.

Still, I can't say I'm apathetic to the whole thing. The Industry of religion does real harm to humankind in a myriad of ways. Wars, Eucation,Government Policy, everything is tainted by that backwater superstition.

After all, I can't even describe myself as an agnostic Atheist. It's more like an Agnostic Anti-Theist.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm with you 100%. The thing is that religious people, they actually think the same thing, just in the opposite direction.
If there is something that makes people happy, gives them a meaning of life and perhaps helps them getting through hard shit i'm the last person on earth to question that.
...Burden of proof though. I'm not the one claiming this fantastical, immaterial thing. I don't understand how computers work, but I don't immediately leap to "It must be full of magical unicorns that pull the data from another realm"

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No of course not till science can prove that there is something that did all of this which we may call god and which is still acting.

Otherwise no of course not. Kill religion, brings more harm than anything else. Fuck all the stupid religion wars in this world where people are killed daily. It harms more than it does good.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe in God or follow any religion. But I feel equally distant from anyone aggressively opposing religion as I do those following a faith. The Dawkins of this world and the way they inhabit their own intellectual high-ground and look down on followers of religion is abhorrent to me. Even worse, hangers on like Ricky Gervais. It feels really juvenile to be pointing at people and saying "But science!".

So I wouldn't ever call myself agnostic or an atheist or whatever. I'm not any of that, because I really wouldn't want to align myself with people who point and laugh and assume they're somehow superior to others. Religion does bring comfort and peace to people whether you follow it or not, and to diminish that by humiliating and belittling people is cuntish.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe there may be a God, or Gods, but not necessarily the way humans have portrayed them in various religions.

I think science and religion might believe in the same thing and not even know it.

This is why I think divides between religions are dumb as fuck. Why not just accept we all believe in different interpretations of the same thing? Or maybe they're all right?
Luckily there are religions like that, maybe you should look into it?
That helps, but then people start not believing real shit like global warming and hide behind the same "we're not hurting anyone" as the planet dies around us. t least habitability-wise. Or anti-vaxx dumbasses bringing back eradicated diseases into our lives. Or that healthcare has to be earned and a good life has to be earned (whatever the fuck that even means). So nah. I think people shouldn't get to believe whatever they fucking wish.

Edit: Axelotl
These are hardly harmless beliefs now, aren't they?

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Burden of proof though. I'm not the one claiming this fantastical, immaterial thing. I don't understand how computers work, but I don't immediately leap to "It must be full of magical unicorns that pull the data from another realm"
I have no idea how anything you just said has any relation to the posts you are quoting.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I know, but sadly, this is not how internet discussion works. Or faith, for that matter. Theists will never accept the burden of proof. Because that means they'd have to rely on something other than "I just know it in my heart" or "look at this bible paragraph" or something like that.

EDIT: Thinking about it, if religion didn't predate sience by several millenia we'd live in a very different world. As it stands, religion has been here a lot longer, which in my opinion explains this weird stance of "I and a billion other people believe, so why should we explain ourselves".

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't believe in God or follow any religion. But I feel equally distant from anyone aggressively opposing religion as I do those following a faith. The Dawkins of this world and the way they inhabit their own intellectual high-ground and look down on followers of religion is abhorrent to me. Even worse, hangers on like Ricky Gervais. It feels really juvenile to be pointing at people and saying "But science!".

So I wouldn't ever call myself agnostic or an atheist or whatever. I'm not any of that, because I really wouldn't want to align myself with people who point and laugh and assume they're somehow superior to others. Religion does bring comfort and peace to people whether you follow it or not, and to diminish that by humiliating and belittling people is cuntish.

It's a good thing as long as these people realize it a personal, intimate thing they cling to, that gives them hope, warmth, or whatever.

It's another thing if that personal, intimate belief affects the real physical world, especially when it comes into politics.
Your personal belief is now law, and will kill people in the process. THAT is the problem.
And that is why I think there is only ridicule and disgust to share to people so fervently clutching to their faith as an excuse for any abomination.

These people should be mocked all day on live TV and chased out of town, yet it is a basic requirement to profess a deep belief in a specific imaginary friend to become the leader of a HUGE country full of people of different beliefs, genders and races.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only talking for myself here. I'm not saying people who don't believe don't see beauty or meaning in life. It's just that for me it's personally meaningless if I can't believe there a reason behind creation.
To me that was the most liberating thought. After a lot of soul-searching and reading in my younger years i came to the profound conclusion that it was me who was in charge of giving my life meaning.

If you see beauty in life. That's you. And that's great that you experience things that way. You see the beauty in those things. Why do they have to be put there by a designer? Why isn't it just as amazing or even MORE amazing when you consider the processes behind it?

Oh please..... this forum and Ricky Gervais. My lord people are sensitive.
Dawkins and Gervais are just using words. It's not like they are inflicting hundreds of years of violent oppression to make people believe what they think. Of course religious people take offense right away because they're the most sensitive people in the world and claim a monopoly to the truth (based on nothing, strange enough).
They don't just point and say "science". They use very rational words and evidence to explain that science at least is trying to figure stuff out. And with endless groundbreaking results. Dawkins can be a bit of a grumpy cunt sometimes but Ricky is hilarious to me. And it's especially hilarious when you see how much panic and aggression his rational words cause with these religious people. It's quite telling. Neither Dawkins or Gervais is juvenile. I think you just hopped on some ResetEra hyperbolic bullshit train.
People here act like atheists are the most aggressive people in the world. Some of them use spicy words, that's it. There are only a few hardcore active atheists. But even that is too much for religious people. Compare that to what inhumane shit religions have done and still do to people world-wide. It's funny religions claim the higher level of empathy and then continue to be the most inhumane and non-inclusive groups of people on earth. Most atheist just live their peaceful life not bothering anyone. Most atheists don't call themselves atheists. It's mostly on woke forums like this that kids want to express themselves and label themselves. But in real life, they don't even think of religion in ANY way.

Last edited:

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The fuck...why cant I just choose NORMAL agnostic, ie, i dont know shit and am just as open to bearded man on cloud up in heaven as I am to black nothing when we die?

Being open to believing in gods is not the same as believing in gods, and if you lack belief in gods then you're by definition atheist.

Agnostic - concerns questions of knowledge
Atheist - concerns questions of belief

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Do i believe? No. Do I think it's a possibility? Yes in one form or another, as in I think it's possible there could be consciousness greater than ours that exists with self-awareness.

I don't know, you don't know. The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence, and until proved otherwise, why say anything else - especially when it creates so much evil in the world. Let's do some fucking science, cure some shit and get out in to space to see what's out there and leave all this cherry-picked medieval and iron age shit in the past where it belongs.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

If you still think people believe in god because they need answers to how the world was created, than you are pretty ignorant.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
To me that was the most liberating thought. After a lot of soul-searching and reading in my younger years i came to the profound conclusion that it was me who was in charge of giving my life meaning.

If you see beauty in life. That's you. And that's great that you experience things that way. You see the beauty in those things. Why do they have to be put there by a designer? Why isn't it just as amazing or even MORE amazing when you consider the processes behind it?

It's hard to explain. It just comes through personal experience. It is not about what is less or more amazing.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I do. And at the very least, we can take a lot of the positive aspects and learn a lot from a good preacher who let's the word flow through him/her. For the record, I take my kids to an awesome Christian church.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you still think people believe in god because they need answers to how the world was created, than you are pretty ignorant.

I mean it's not the only reason, but you'd be surprised how even today people still turn to the Bible to explain how life on earth and the planet was made.