• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you believe free games on the Epic Store will continue in 2020?

• Yes - I want the free games coming!

Votes: 361 40.3%
  • No - Seems like it's coming to an end

Votes: 205 22.9%
  • Not sure - But I still want free games

Votes: 184 20.5%
  • Possibility end it at a different time sometime through 2020

Votes: 146 16.3%

• Total voters

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So we have been getting free games for almost a year now for promoting the epic store. Right now we are getting 12 days of free games but this made me think will this promotion end in 2020? I think they will stop personally as they got a decent amount of users to get their platform when it started off but now this 12 days of games seems to be there big bang to end this offer. What do you the rest of you guys and gals think?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably keep doing it because goddamn, they gotta give you SOME reason to download it

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
depends on whether it got users to spend money on the store (I'm not sure why it would) and whether fortnite keeps bringing in tons of money to subsidize the money being lost on free games and sales (during sale periods they actively lose money, usually not a great sign for a store that wants to stay in business but hey what do I know)

so only epic can say!

id rather know if they're going to keep buying more exclusivity agreements for all the glorious "competition" in this "multi store world" tim has given to us. see what further kickstarter projects he can sink in the future out of fear

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Of course they will, but neither that nor timed exclusives are good ways to attract the audience to your storefront.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't supposed to last in perpetuity to begin with, holidays aside, it's only still going because they extended it to the end of the year back in June.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It'll continue, but the quality and desirability of the games will go down over time.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they wouldn't bother with some big event like they are doing now if they were just gonna be like "whelp, that's all folks" 4 days later.

I'd bet they will go back to the twice a month thing though.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You mean besides often decent deals and timed exclusives?

Yea but then they just come to Win10 and GamePass anyway, so...or are made by Randy Pitchford..

Like, if Epic did more to compete then I'd be for it

Take GoG Galaxy 2.0 for example. That shit is loaded with cool features.

I'm not a Steam-or-nothing kind of person. I just don't like how Epic is going about things

Of course they will, but neither that nor timed exclusives are good ways to attract the audience to your storefront.

Seriously.. You'd think they would find SOME way to compete more head-on. Or at least make a cart

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The fact they extended it in the first place implies that they're getting good results from it, so yeah, I'd expect them to continue.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The fact they extended it in the first place implies that they're getting good results from it, so yeah, I'd expect them to continue.
I don't know about that. To me promising no sales to not devalue games and then following that promise with two of the most aggressive sales in a span of year (including selling not yet released games for a price of peanuts) and extending their gift program isn't exactly a sign of a company which is confident in its performance.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yes, they will, at least until they get a foothold on PC gaming market.

It's one of their investments to gain PC market share. Their main investment is the exclusivity deals though. I believe the amount they have to spend on these free games are nothing compared to exclusivity deals.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Currently leaning towards "Probably yes, but I don't want anything to do with them" which isnt a poll option.
I'm in this boat. Free games is sweet for those who enjoy the service but I'm not a fan of them trying to not open up the PC market like they claim, but rather just extending their arms and trying to scoop it all in to themselves. Not supporting.

Oct 31, 2017
More than anything I'm wondering for how long they'll keep up with what's essentially "predatory pricing" (which as far as I know should be illegal in several countries) without catching the attention of some sanctioning body like the European Antitrust.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I think they said this month will be the end of their weekly free games. I don't see them giving a game every week. They gonna make all the library for free? No way. Maybe a game month ok.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I'm not sure... They're loosing fuel. I don't think the games from this month made as much impact as the first they gifted. Hell, they even repeated Celeste!

Idk.Maybe I'll have to cheek how they end this year before saying anything.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think so. I think the free games will stop once they actually make it a store that can stand on its own feet. The features just aren't there.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Personally, I hope Epic continues to do so, though I don't think they will. I'm going to continue my policy of freeloading off all the giveaways, and buying the occasional game when Tim Sweeney pays me 10 bucks to do so.

No free ten bucks, no deal! 😀

C'mon Sweeney - buy us another round! Rich dudes with more money than sense are awesome.

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017

Personally the free games had me installing the client and kept it front of mind, while the timed exclusive in Mechwarrior 5 had me spend money on their store.

I'm not as upset about most of the features that are currently lacking, but I hope they add in some of the more key functions sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
they'll keep doing it as long as it proves to be a viable way to increase usage of their platform.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
More than anything I'm wondering for how long they'll keep up with what's essentially "predatory pricing" (which as far as I know should be illegal in several countries) without catching the attention of some sanctioning body like the European Antitrust.

Predatory pricing, lol.

I'm pretty sure it's only considered that when it threatens to wipe out a competitor. What they're doing is a just a regular sales promotion.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I mean, isn't their whole business strategy to deliver a constant stream of stellar free games to keep forever mixed in with some tremendous exclusives?

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
For how long are they going to keep bribing the entire planet?

At what moment investors are going to say "enough"?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only Epic can really say if its been a worthwhile investment.
For me personally, I have claimed atleast over £150 worth of free games and spent, maybe £40 in that time on the store? and that was all stuff on sale too.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i got more than a dozen of great games on EGS without spending a single dime so i say, keep'em coming!

Dec 14, 2019
They should spend the money on improving their store instead. It's laughable how little they have improved the store since the day Tim Sweeney woke up and thought he would give Valve some competition.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I think they said this month will be the end of their weekly free games. I don't see them giving a game every week. They gonna make all the library for free? No way. Maybe a game month ok.
giphy.gif

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno why people are being very doubtful these last period and don't belive what has been said before unelss they what while this has been said since the announcement of the free game program:

https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/...-1-free-game-every-day-until-the-end-of-2019/

Says this has been said since the announcement of the free games program:

Also, links an article where they talk about EXTENDING IT once already.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Personally the free games had me installing client and kept it front of mind, while the timed exclusive in Mechwarrior 5 had me spend money on their store.

I'm not as upset about most of the features that are currently lacking, but I hope they add in some of the more key functions sooner rather than later.
Sure, but how many games you've bought besides MechWarrior 5?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Says this has been said since the announcement of the free games program:

Also, links an article where they talk about EXTENDING IT once already.

"Epic is extending its weekly free games promotion until the end of the year. "
The general idea was till the end of 2019, no more then won't be giving free games every week next year.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
At this point, only Epic can say. All the useful data is held close to their chests.

I mean at one point they will need to give reasons to actually invest in the damned platform. The exclusive strategy so far have been... eh.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You mean besides often decent deals and timed exclusives?
The deals are ok but nothing special, and timed exclusives are the reason I refuse to install EGS on my PC.

Also, the deals are ok now, but the EGS team has clearly stated that they dislike heavy sales because they devalue games and "train the consumer to not buy at full price". So they are doing these good sales to attract consumers but you can bet your ass they won't last long. So as a consumer that wants games as cheap as posible, fuck that lmao

Won

Oct 27, 2017
The rumor was they want to package them into a subscription service, I think?

So who knows. It's not like the store is run with a real business plan behind it.

Oct 31, 2017
Predatory pricing, lol.

I'm pretty sure it's only considered that when it threatens to wipe out a competitor. What they're doing is a just a regular sales promotion.
No, it's not "just promotion". They have literally a business model operating at loss with the intent to undercut competitors.
When they tell you that on a 15 bucks game you can apply that 10 dollar discount but they will STILL pay the full amount of the devs, they are literally losing money on the transaction. It's literally "Please, we'll pay you money out of our pockets to hang around".

That's the kind of pricing strategy that you can sustain only making money elsewhere/having capital to spare.
And this is without even counting the free games and the "sales guarantee" deals they offer to developers.

Last edited: