• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Also, no indigenous people has ever recorder in folklor the bigfoot.

Or even european-americans before 1958, when the Yeti became famous.

Or the fact that no primates ever lives in North America before Homo Sapiens crossed Beringia.

Much, MUCH better cryptid are the Orang Pendek of Sumatra (which had been spotted both by natives and dutch colonists and gathered credibility with the discovery of the Homo Florensis).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah because two hicks would put together a monkey suit in 1967 that was more realistic than anything in existence at the time
I mean it's documented lol.
ANE's money had also been used to buy the gorilla suit. It came from Philip and Amy Morris, established makers of gorilla suits for carnivals. They told Greg Long that they had recognized the suit when they saw Patterson's film on television, and that Patterson had asked their advice in modifying the suit to make the arms longer. They'd even shipped him extra synthetic fur, made from a material called Dynel. They also advised him to put a football helmet and shoulder pads on the suit wearer to make him look enormous. Not surprisingly, when Greg Long asked Bob Heironimus about the suit, he also mentioned that he wore a football helmet and shoulder pads inside of it.
skeptoid.com

The Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot Film

The true history behind the iconic Bigfoot film that launched the legend.

OP
OP
Muse98

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Also, no indigenous people has ever recorder in folklor the bigfoot.

Or even european-americans before 1958, when the Yeti became famous.

Or the fact that no primates ever lives in North America before Homo Sapiens crossed Beringia.

Much, MUCH better cryptid are the Orang Pendek of Sumatra (which had been spotted both by natives and dutch colonists and gathered credibility with the discovery of the Homo Florensis).

Actually there is a lot of Native American folklore related to large hairy beasts from the forest.

The hairy man pictographs from the Tule River Indian Reservation is one of many.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The two behind it couldn't even get their story straight right out of the gate lol. No one has proven it "fake" because it's just footage of a guy in a suit walking in the forest. No one with merit takes it seriously enough to care since there was nothing credible there to start with.
The story goes that Patterson and Gimlin had developed a strong interest in Bigfoot, and in October 1967 they rented the movie camera and went off on horseback for a couple weeks to look for it. Next thing they knew, they'd become the luckiest Bigfoot hunters in history, when the creature obligingly stepped out of the woods and strode across the clearing for Patterson's camera, in the early afternoon of October 20th. Gimlin chased it on horseback, lost it, but found its footprints; then they rode about 5 kilometers back to camp for their plaster of paris. They rode back, poured plaster into the footprints, waited for it to dry, then went back to camp again. They loaded their horses into the trailer and drove 40 kilometers on rough fire roads back to Willow Creek, and posted the film off to Yakima to get it developed. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon.
The glaring impossibility of this timeline is what first raised suspicions among skeptics. In response, Patterson and Gimlin began providing all sorts of different versions of their story. Other suspicious cryptozoologists, such as Peter Byrne, found holes and contradictions in those stories. In the end, the version Patterson and Gimlin settled on was that they put the film onto a plane and flew it to Yakima, where Al DeAtley picked it up to have it developed. Byrne found that the only charter planes that could have flown that route that day were all grounded due to rain and bad weather. Since then, few serious researchers took Patterson and Gimlin's story seriously.
skeptoid.com

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Last edited:

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
The two behind it couldn't even get their story straight right out of the gate lol. No one has proven it "fake" because it's just footage of a guy in a suit walking in the forest. No one with merit takes it seriously enough to care since there was nothing credible there to start with.

skeptoid.com

Gotta love skeptoid.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
3000 is my guesstimate scattered over all of North America...very low population density

I'm not going to tell you how to formulate your crackpot theories (that's a blatant lie I'm absolutely about to do that), but a single family unit or small tribe in one specific remote location would be far, far, far more credible a hoax than "3,000 just sort of sprinkled around everywhere".

I mean I guess you're trying to justify how every Bigfoot sighting must be legit and therefore they must be everywhere in your head, but have you considered the logistics on them being everywhere but somehow remaining successfully undiscovered? That just doesn't work, chief.

You're kind of bad at this.

OP
OP
Muse98

Muse98

May 28, 2020
This is the 2nd Bigfoot in the Patterson Gimlin film that goes into the forest before Patterson stabilizes himself and pans the camera to the right to film Patty

This corroborates what Gimlin has said about there being several Bigfoot at the creek

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You may not believe in bigfoot

But bigfoot believes in you

sasquatch-standing-friendly-smile-thumbs-up_9633-29.jpg

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That guy in the suit appearing again in the same film session is sure a shocking revelation.

Aren't apes generally social? How come bigfoot doesn't act like an ape?
Well you see that's because it's smart enough to evade being captured on film aside from the one time it didn't care and just slowly wandered around in front of a camera. Smart enough to evade being captured and to rinse its own fossil record, but still be seen by millions of people with no ability to show evidence of it.

Some say it's the Bigfeet who really control our surveillance state and just scrub all evidence of themselves.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Thread feels a bit like a kink the OP won't let go of.

I like the Honey Monster too but not that much!

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Nope, it's all bullshit that we make up to make our shitty lives a bit more exciting. That people spend ungodly amounts of time and money on things like Bigfoot and Nessie while there's homelessness and poverty really speaks to how fucked up and weird our priorities can be at times. All of that time and money, and all we get it blurry photos, shitty footage and plaster casts of fake footprints.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This is the 2nd Bigfoot in the Patterson Gimlin film that goes into the forest before Patterson stabilizes himself and pans the camera to the right to film Patty

This corroborates what Gimlin has said about there being several Bigfoot at the creek

You can see how the scenery changes from 0:12 to 0:14. The original film doesn't exist anymore, we can't verify if anything is fake or not, but I can say that that's a different scene with a cut in the middle. They just shot another scene for their bigfoot documentary they told everyone they were shooting before saying they ACTUALLY filmed a primate.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
All of the evidence and supposed footage is obvious nonsense. People just love a tantalizing mystery.

Anyway, if he wants to prove me wrong, my window is always open for B-Daddy.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I could see the Yeti being real given how harsh and inhospitable their supposed habitat is, but I have a hard time seeing Bigfoot as real considering the evidence is generally easily proven fake and there being like ten Bigfoot shows on TV, none of which have found him.

Nessie is 100% real though.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Also the fact that no bones have been found does not mean they do not exist . it's well known that predators hide and die in remote places when they are injured or sick. It's actually rare to find bones of bears, wolves and other predators. Considering that the Bigfoot population is low probably around 3000 at most scattered throughout North America, it doesn't surprise me that bones haven't been found yet.

Also the Patterson-Gimlin film has been around for almost 60 years and no one has been able to prove it's fake.
In the world there are around 1000 mountain gorillas.

You are postulating not only a bigger population, but also a veeeeeeery low population density that means that, to mantain a viable minimum population, the bigfoots have to travel extensively to mate. And yet, no one has documented one of them crossing a street.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
No, I believe that we use what we've found ex antient hominid bones and dinosaur fossils as explanations of what we don't understand and that gets handed down through thousands of years until we have these stories. That said as a christian, evolution believing, medical professional I love listening to local stories on these cryptids. Not so much euro/americans who just want to justify a biased viewpoint or sell a product. Fuck Graham Hancock.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm currently reading 'the hunt for the skinwalker' book and they make the case that bigfoot is not purely a crypto-zoological 'missing link' phenomenon but has ties to ufo and or inter-dimensional entities. there are cases where bigfeet walk out of landed ufos or in the case with the skinwalker ranch crawling out of portals. kind of crazy what people report that they see, its at least fun to read about.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
OP, you're starting from a conclusion ("Bigfoot is real") and constructing whatever explanation rationalizes it. It's a common pitfall, but still a pitfall.

"They're predators (???) and predators die in remote locations so you can't find fossils."

"They're extremely sparsely populated and distributed all across North America so that's why no scientifically significant evidence exists."

"They've evolved to be extremely - almost conveniently - good at hiding. Amateurs and solo 'hunters' can film them, but a thorough scientific observation is impossible."

All without any evidence aside from easily-faked materials like blurry videos with questionable "Bigfoot" subjects and footprints. You're doing your logic in reverse here. You might as well be trying to convince people the Tsuchinoko exists.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. As real as the Loch Ness Monster.

I know there's some weird ass Cthulhu level sea monster shit in the deep we haven't discovered yet though.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Even when I did believe in cryptids as a teenager I thought Bigfoot was BS. I'd sooner believe something like Nessie or the Kraken that'd actually be hard to find vs a big ape wandering through the woods.