• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Today was the first day it truly felt like spring where I live, and as I was playing Persona 5 Royal in that slightly-uncomfortable warmth I felt a little nostalgic for the first time I played Persona 4 Golden, which was over the entire summer of 2012. Since then, I've always viewed Persona as a very Spring/Summer franchise.

It got me wondering - does anyone else associate any games/franchises with specific seasons? It can either be because you played them during a particularly hot summer, or because they simply feature very seasonal content, or anything in between.

Bonus points if you can list a game for every season!

Aug 28, 2019
Super Mario RPG reminds me of that one summer vacation where my sibling and I spent a lot of time playing that game and watching Dragonball.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wind's howling.

(which I guess is just weather and not a season, actually... oops.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This always sounds weird in my head, but I associate Donkey Kong Country 3 with the summer weeks leading up to school, which is even weirder since I only played it for the first time when I was 25.

The crisp colours, the natural scenery, the weird industrial places you visit, playing it feels like all the weird stuff your parents made you do to fill up your summer.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I associate Magic the Gathering with late spring (around Memorial Day) because that's when I first learned to play and the smells of that season in New England (rains and trimmed lawns) sometimes remind me of that time.

I also associate Final Fantasy VII with summer because that was a summer vacation game one year in high school

Diablo and it's ilk are Fall / October / Halloween games for obvious reasons.

Parasite Eve is Winter / Christmas also for obvious reasons

Chrono Cross - summer

That "Summer of Adventure" promotion Square ran that year sure was a thing :) I kind of regret not picking up Dew Prism / Threads of Fate to complete the trifecta and scoring the backpack.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Newly played Stardew Valley fan here.

The game will ALWAYS remind me of fall.
Of course it has all the seasons, but the end of summer get together, the fall one, the MUSIC my god One of the fall tracks is in my video game top 10 and is literally falltime in musical form. And of course the absolutely enchanting fall graphics from the beautiful tree colors to hazlenuts and giant pumpkins, and the wind in the game making it chilly.

It's just perfect.
It is the best representation of autumn I have ever seen in game form.

Here is the music I am in love with. Gives me chills!

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Haven't really in years but I use to associate Call of Duty with Christmas because either me or any friends growing up who didn't have the latest one would get it and we'd spend the whole break playing, talking crap about life, and just having a good time. Man what I'd do to go back to those days.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
There were several years where I'd play Doom II in the run up to Christmas so it's intrinsically linked to that positive vibe for me now. Which is kinda hilarious.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Skyrim with winter. Think it's just the snowy vibe and that I first played it around that time.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
uO3cf5X.jpg

Winter '92 was likely the happiest time in my life (It's okay, you'll home in on a date too.)

It was Christmas season. It wasn't snowing but it there was snow on the ground outside. I was working overnight shifts in a residential setting paying my way through med school. I was married to the love of my life.

While the clients were asleep I was up in the living room with the only light being the light from the boomer-tube TV and the lit Christmas tree in the corner. I spent the next week or two pouring through LttP. Just agape with the entire production.

Man, I've never been happier.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely and easily Super Mario Sunshine for summer. Not the most mindblowing association, but it's the first one I thought of, ha.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Halo series is summer from long stretches of playing it with buddies on Xbox live when we were on summer break.
Pokemon as Winter as i'd always bring my handhelds on vacation with me, and play it on the really long car rides when we'd drive up to see family in the winter.
Fall is Super Smash. Any time i'd hang out with friends for Halloween or have family over for Thanksgiving we'd bring out Super Smash.
Don't have one for Spring.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
The Splatoon series has big summer vibes!

Bloodborne feels like a winter game for sure and I feel that way about most of the Castlevania games, too

Sonic games I associate with spring (probably because those games are full of springs hahaha)

Resident Evil games and Luigi's Mansion are both autumnal. All horror games are autumnal.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The uncharted games I usually associate with late spring early summer.

With the last of us I will actually pause my play through so that winter happens in the winter.

A lot of the survival horror games I associate with fall, in particular around halloween.

Final Fantasy 6 is the dead of winter. When it's at its coldest and nobody goes out for anything.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In college I had a habit of overworking myself through the semester and then buying and binge-playing a game right at the end of finals to de-stress myself and sort of fall back in love with video games. As a result, I have really positive spring-into-summer vibes connected to the three main games that acted as that for my three years at school: Transistor, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Doom