• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll eat the few more seconds of loading for better graphics, this gen has been nothing but 5+ minute long loading screens lol

Yeah sure but just be aware the better graphics is not going to be immediately better like the 360 era. You would really need sites like DF to see the difference. This is the smallest power gap between the PS and XB there has ever been.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think there will generally be some fairly minor graphical improvement on XSX and/or more stable framerate; however, I don't believe I would be able to tell the difference and I think the majority (vast majority?) are probably like myself.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Yeah sure but just be aware the better graphics is not going to be immediately better like the 360 era. You would really need sites like DF to see the difference. This is the smallest power gap between the PS and XB there has ever been.
oh yeah man i'm not expecting a world of difference between the two. but after playing on the xbox one and switch for the last several years like I know what low res means lol. I will eventually own all the upcoming consoles, i just love hardware that much, but in the interim I want to game on the strongest of beasts.

and don't tell me PC cuz the only thing I'm using that for is work and flight sim lol

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I expect and predict (I have zero info, this is pure speculation):

Some games will show a difference, others won't.
An A/B test at a normal distance will make it difficult to tell most of the time.
Load times and transitions will be noticeably better on PS5 most of the time.
Games relying a lot on asset streaming will show a small advantage on PS5.
The cache scrubbing won't be enough to compensate the deficiency in memory bandwidth on PS5.
The XSS needing to be targeted will cause some studios to reduce the amount of effort in optimization, because it increases the effort required.
Some studios will accept beautiful hats in the form of "optimization assistance".

Last edited:

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I hope devs use the extra horsepower for improved frame rates over slightly better resolution if possible. Especially in a world with checkerboard rendering, dlss and other such techniques.

Dec 14, 2017

An A/B test at a normal distance will make it difficult to tell most of the time.
The cache scrubbing may or may not compensate for the deficiency of memory bandwidth on PS5.
The XSS needing to be targeted will cause some studios to reduce the amount of effort in optimization, because it doubles the effort required.
Some studios will accept beautiful hats in the form of "optimization assistance".
Hold up. "Doubles" the effort? It's not an entirely different platform, man.

If more people opt for the Series S, the market size will make the no-fucking-way-is-it-DOUBLE-effort worth it.

"Double" the effort. LMAO.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Hold up. "Doubles" the effort? It's not an entirely different platform, man.

If more people opt for the Series S, the market size will make the no-fucking-way-is-it-DOUBLE-effort worth it.

"Double" the effort. LMAO.
The effort in the small part of development called optimization.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You only have to look at the price differences between PC GPUs where an 18% differential is a big deal.

The power doesn't have to only go towards higher resolutions. The difference could be a game running at 60fps instead of a stuttering 51fps (assuming no VRR). Or a bump in settings or draw distance.

Only reason why the power difference was only really put towards resolution on Pro/X is because the CPU bottleneck prevented anything more creative.

Regardless, both consoles will pale in comparison to a RTX 3080, and Sony's first party titles will still look incredible. But for third parties I do see X having a more visible edge than many expect, at least in some titles.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Negligibly to the point that Digital Foundry will have to take precise measurements to tell, as I assume it was with PS4 and XBO.

I am going under the assumption that almost no one will be able to tell the difference otherwise, but we'll see.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for DF to zoom in 700% to show the differences.

The zoom is actually less about how apparent the differences are and more about the fact that in a video format they want to be able to call your attention to a particular detail quickly so that they don't have to linger on a static screen while you play "find the differences between these two pictures". Sometimes the differences are huge, sometimes they're not, but they're just trying to show you what those differences are.

DF have stated on a few occasions the zooms are becuase the analytics show that a great deal of the viewer's watch on a mobile phone.

Of course, it also helps to draw attention to the graphics under analysis as per tomsawing's comments above.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

The cache scrubbing won't be enough to compensate the deficiency in memory bandwidth on PS5.
The XSS needing to be targeted will cause some studios to reduce the amount of effort in optimization, because it increases the effort required.

Question: I've seen other users mention that the software environment (API's and all that) do play a role in these matters. I don't have the knowledge to really say (hell I barely have the knowledge to ask the question, lol), but could you or anyone else clarify how important this is to the greater whole?

As I understand it Sony's environment has historically allowed devs to code down closer to the metal, and it seems that might be the case again next gen from what little I've seen others say on the subject. Obviously this is a greater advantage to non-multiplat games where they can devote more resources to a single platform, but I'm curious how these things also play out on the third party front.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa. Not that it matters to me personally, but I had no idea Series X is more powerful, I thought it's the other way round.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Yes, I expect third-party games to look better on Xbox Series X, but I don't think the difference will be huge.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think more games will look better on Series X, but some games will look better on PS5.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
You only have to look at the price differences between PC GPUs where an 18% differential is a big deal.

The power doesn't have to only go towards higher resolutions. The difference could be a game running at 60fps instead of a stuttering 51fps (assuming no VRR). Or a bump in settings or draw distance.

Only reason why the power difference was only really put towards resolution on Pro/X is because the CPU bottleneck prevented anything more creative.

I think this is a pretty good take.

Judging by how the RX 5700 XT scales when it's overclocked too, I think in reality, we are going to see a minimum of 18% difference. There will certainly be many instances as well where the overclock has less impact and the gulf is greater.

There are specific use cases where I think the SSD in the PS5 could make a visual difference as well though, such as a scenario where you are traveling at incredibly fast speeds (perhaps the texture quality in the end of the UE5 demo could look a bit better on PS5).

Also, I'm expecting significantly better Ray Tracing capability on Series X. Sony has been using some smart techniques to use it on PS5 so far, but I think the difference is going to be really noticable. Forza vs Gran Turismo 7 next year will be an interesting comparison.

Achillias

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Of course there will be a difference. It's 2 flops, thats not small. Xbox Series X will show the best graphics.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Also, I'm expecting significantly better Ray Tracing capability on Series X. Sony has been using some smart techniques to use it on PS5 so far, but I think the difference is going to be really noticable. Forza vs Gran Turismo 7 next year will be an interesting comparison.
Yep, in the recent MM demo it looked like the reflections were running at half frame rate .
We might see those kinds of things become point of comparisons in multiplatform games.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yes. I expect to see higher resolutions and better frame rates for third party games on XSX. Most logical use of that extra power.

Proabably similar to PS4 Pro vs XB1X

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but the differences will be Digital Foundry fodder that only .08% of anyone clicking this thread would ever be able to point out.

RT stuff will be more complex as the gen goes on, but the biggest diffrences in the short term will probably the % of time a game has to dip into dynamic resolution to keep a certain frame rate.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yep, in the recent MM demo it looked like the reflections were running at half frame rate .
We might see those kinds of things become point of comparisons in multiplatform games.

Exactly, and I hope developers take some notes from Crytek (maybe Sony already has been?). Stuff like interlaced ray tracing, or half-rate ray tracing could give us far better RT results on consoles than we expected.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Whoa. Not that it matters to me personally, but I had no idea Series X is more powerful, I thought it's the other way round.
It's complicated, they both have interesting advantages.

PS5 have variable clocks which is at max "most of the time" so it remains to be seen if all of this is slower and in which circumstances.
They're similar memory amount and type with 16GB GDDR6.
CPU is equivalent, it's like 1.03x faster on XSX or something.
XSX have a faster GPU by about 1.2x.
XSX have a faster Memory by about 1.25x with caveats (only 10GB out of the 16GB is fast).
PS5 have a faster SSD by 2.3x to 3.6x depending on the compression (5.5GB/s to 22GB/s versus 2.4GB/s to 6GB/s).
Audio seems better on PS5, but not enough data, we don't know yet.
XSX I/O processor is equivalent to 2 CPU cores, while PS5 is equivalent to 9 CPU cores.

Each also have some fancy things we don't know enough about:

PS5 have cache scrubber, helping the GPU stall less and use less memory bandwidth while streaming
XSX have sampler feedback that automatically use a lower mipmap instead of stalling
PS5 audio processor can be used for more than audio, it's like a cell processor, versus audio-specific DSPs on XSX.
XSX have BCPack compression that can compress textures better than Sony
PS5 have Kraken compression that can compress geometry better than MS
XSX have VRS circuitry which we don't know how different it is from Sony's implementation
There's a rumor that the PS5 hardware implementation for RT is not the same (is this good or bad?)

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Exactly, and I hope developers take some notes from Crytek (maybe Sony already has been?). Stuff like interlaced ray tracing, or half-rate ray tracing could give us far better RT results on consoles than we expected.
Yeah there is definitely going to be some optimisation that happens, although to be honest I think that even RT reflections are an expensive way to achieve a reflection in many places and I wonder how usage will shape up over time once the platform holder mandated tech showpieces have faded away.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
There are some really resource-heavy games out there. I'd expect these games to run considerably better on SX.

I'm going to be carefully looking at AAA-exclusive Xbox titles like Avowed on Xbox One X and whatever The Coalition ends up making over the next five years.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think on average the games will have a slightly higher resolution on XSX, and on average the games will run better on PS5 (that is if games have a lower res on PS5 with a dynamic resolution). if devs decide to have resolution parity (without dynamic res), then the games should run better on XSX.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yeah there is definitely going to be some optimisation that happens, although to be honest I think that even RT reflections are an expensive way to achieve a reflection in many places and I wonder how usage will shape up over time once the platform holder mandated tech showpieces have faded away.

I wonder as well. Perhaps more on the 3rd party and Microsoft side, I could see them slowly just moving more and more towards Ray Tracing, since it just makes sense from a lighting/engine perspective. That will have big rewards on the PC side, and with a mid-gen refresh consoles, and no doubt great for E3 trailers of the future.

I find Ray Tracing is one of those things that may not be entirely noticable at first, but once you've seen it, it almost retroactively makes everything that doesn't use it look flatter and more dated. I think we are going to see some amazing things in the next 5-8 years coming out if this dev period.