• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree with what Oculus is making users use Facebook to continue using their services?

• YES

Votes: 105 8.4%
  • NO

Votes: 1,139 91.6%

• Total voters

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't see the problem honestly. Having Facebook connectivity will bring about a lot more social features for the platform and it's not like Facebook doesn't already have the data anyway if you have a Rift. It makes sense to consolidate all their accounts into one, and it's not like it hurts the end user very much if at all. To me, it's no different than needing a gmail account for Stadia or Youtube, or needing a Microsoft account for Xbox Live and all of MS's other programs. All these companies have your data and sell it, and it's not the end of the world.

Then again, maybe I feel that way because I am very loose when it comes to my internet security and if somebody really wanted to they could find out pretty much anything about me easily

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I guess 2023 is when I replace my headset with an Index, unless someone figures out how to bypass this crap

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't like it, but this gives some insight into why they're doing it:

nwn.blogs.com

Robert Scoble: Facebook Identities on VR Are the Biggest Strategy Tax of All Time (Guest Post)

Robert Scoble has co-authored four books on technology, the latest of which, “The Infinite Retina” lays out why Spatial Computing will reshape seven industries. He grew up in Silicon Valley and has had a front-row seat on the technology industry...

That being said, I'm still buying Oculus products in the future since they're too far ahead of everyone else and I'd rather have the best headsets regardless of who it's from.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I don't understand. All these people were cool with Facebook owning Oculus, collecting Oculus user data and metrics......but now that they have to have a burner Facebook account that's somehow unacceptable?

I made a burner account for PUBG mobile and suddenly FB wanted me to scan my ID to verify that burner account.
I lost all my progress...

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Don't see how different this is from the last thread about this but my answer is that I don't really care.

Don't get me wrong, I think Facebook is garbage, but they already owned Oculus and making a fake account is easy. I think a lot of people acting like this is some big line that's been crossed are just upset they have to now be directly confronted with the fact that they've been supporting facebook products this whole time.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I mean it's not a good question because people did complain about it to imply otherwise it's just revisionist history
There's people in this very thread saying "I was going to buy a Rift until they decided to make people use a Facebook login." Which implies that prior to last week's decision they were totally cool with handing over their personal data to Facebook, so long as it was under the guise of an Oculus ID.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Real glad I didn't buy into VR with an Oculus (or at all yet) but this will absolutely keep me from getting one ever. I mean...I use Facebook on my computer/phone but mostly just post dumb shit and I'm not going to every pay for something (e.g. Oculus games) through Facebook owned anything.

I'm not the least bit surprised they did this, but no thank you.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think the egregious thing is that they said this wouldn't happen previously. Like, personally I don't care, but you can't bait and switch like that. Grandfather in everyone who already has an Oculus account. It wouldn't be that hard to add those accounts to the Facebook back end in some way, I imagine.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
No, it was just a matter of time. For people who aren't comfortable with Facebook, why would you buy a Facebook headset? That is the thing I don't understand.

Sticking to SteamVR.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honey don't understand why this was even a question. Nobody in their right mind would say yes to this. I feel like some people get desperate to make threads now a days lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the "don't care either way option"?

I'm not for it, but it doesn't bother me either.

Still looking forward to a Quest 2 being released.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't like it one bit and will probably use it as an excuse to switch to an Index.

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
Facebook already has literally every iota of personal data from you, all they are doing is unifying their Oculus and Facebook email lists.

All this is doing is making explicit what has been the case ever since they bought the company.

They own the company. There's no privacy. Full stop.

All your Oculus data has been fed into the great cyber AI in the sky and your choice of toothpaste analysed by a neural network.

If you didn't want FB to have your data you shouldn't have given Oculus anything

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. No way in hell I ever buy an Oculus product again. So glad to be out of that ecosystem.

No, it was just a matter of time. For people who aren't comfortable with Facebook, why would you buy a Facebook headset? That is the thing I don't understand.

Sticking to SteamVR.

It seem to recall promises that Oculus would never require a Facebook login.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with it, but it's not exactly surprising either. They own them after all.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
No.

I'll legit sell my Rift over this.

And for the record, I didn't like it when Facebook bought them either.

What is the practical difference between Facebook managing your data but calling it an Oculus account and Facebook managing your data and calling it a Facebook account?

You're giving the same data to the same company regardless.

I think the egregious thing is that they said this wouldn't happen previously. Like, personally I don't care, but you can't bait and switch like that. Grandfather in everyone who already has an Oculus account. It wouldn't be that hard to add those accounts to the Facebook back end in some way, I imagine.

The change will be forced a full 7 years after the release of the Oculus Rift. That is a far longer useful lifespan than anyone could have expected from first generation VR hardware.

I just think the whole thing is overblown, Facebook are hardly a perfect company but we're all freely sharing our data with Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft, Google and Epic in order to play modern games, I think the distinction between them and Facebook isn't as stark as most are making out. They're all looking to profit from access to your data, and the only reason any of them care about your privacy is to be compliant with local laws and to protect their brand.

No absolutely not. Sold my Oculus today. Don't and won't use Facebook.

If you owned a Rift or Quest then you were already willingly sharing your data with Facebook and contributing to their bottom line. You were already using Facebook, the Oculus logo on the headset didn't change that.

Last edited:

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
It fucking sucks but I already have an account so that's already sorted I guess.

Where's this energy for the epic account stuff though? Does facebook need to start giving out free games?

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
We really need a competitor to Quest in the mobile/streaming VR market.

Nothing would make me happier than if Valve announced a PC streaming-only wireless HMD at a reasonable cost.

I really want to be rid of Facebook forever

napkin

Apr 10, 2020
I obviously don't agree with it but I think being able to subvert it will be relatively easy. I got a Rift S recently and it's fun but this decision does make me think if VR is still a thing in 2 years I will hope a Valve Index 2 will be out and I will switch to that instead. If that's not the case I'll just make a random facebook account to bypass it.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Oculus is dead, the company is now facebook. It makes perfect sense for a Facebook headset to require facebook logins. So, voting yes.

Personally, I already deleted my facebook profile, sold my Rift and bought an Index.

Dec 13, 2017
I'm projecting this decision will accelerate Oculus in to obscurity. Steam will be the dominant platform. Eventually Facebook will divest out of Oculus and I'm guessing MS will try to gobble them up. MS will eventually fuck it all up, shit their pants, and then fall down while everyone laughs at them.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I also have to use Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo accounts and I know in regards to my digital fingerprint it's already over so I don't care anymore.

There's people in this very thread saying "I was going to buy a Rift until they decided to make people use a Facebook login." Which implies that prior to last week's decision they were totally cool with handing over their personal data to Facebook, so long as it was under the guise of an Oculus ID.

Yeah pretty stupid. Anyone already using an Oculus device gives Facebook their data. You need an Oculus account for the Oculus store so if you never played a single Oculus game from the store you are fine I guess.

I do not. It's not just a little bad. It is a lot of bad.

arstechnica.com

Why the Facebookening of Oculus VR is bad for users, devs, competition

Opinion: No device should require a Facebook login—so what is Oculus doing?

Ugh. If you want to use an Mixed Reality headset good luck without a Microsoft account (Store access). You can also register at Stadia without having a gmail domain account, duh. I don't like this article. Yes you don't need a Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo account, but you need all of them to use the consoles whole features. There are sets of features you just can't use if you don't use one.

Last edited:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
We really need a competitor to Quest in the mobile/streaming VR market.

Nothing would make me happier than if Valve announced a PC streaming-only wireless HMD at a reasonable cost.

I really want to be rid of Facebook forever

Valve have shown no desire to hit a mainstream price point with their VR hardware. Facebook/Oculus are the only company pushing high quality VR at mainstream pricing apart from perhaps Sony.

The Quest is just lightyears ahead of the competition and despite it very clearly being the best form factor for mainstream adoption, it continues to be ignored by Sony and Valve. I have little hope of serious competition appearing anytime soon as it requires best in class software and hardware aswell as a strong lineup of games. It would be a huge investment to catch-up to Facebook and the Quest.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Valve have shown no desire to hit a mainstream price point with their VR hardware. Facebook/Oculus are the only company pushing high quality VR at mainstream pricing apart from perhaps Sony.

The Quest is just lightyears ahead of the competition and despite it very clearly being the best form factor for mainstream adoption, it continues to be ignored by Sony and Valve. I have little hope of serious competition appearing anytime soon as it requires best in class software and hardware aswell as a strong lineup of games. It would be a huge investment to catch-up to Facebook and the Quest.
It's not really about Valve having anything against mainstream products, but more about them only pursuing things that push boundaries and move PC gaming forward.

A streaming focused headset could absolutely fit that. Imagine how much lighter, smaller, and comfortable a streaming-only HMD would be without the need to run anything natively. That could absolutely push VR gaming forward and their entire SteamVR library would be compatible unlike the bulky Quest with it's library of weak mobile ports.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not really about Valve having anything against mainstream products, but more about them only pursuing things that push boundaries and move PC gaming forward.

A streaming focused headset could absolutely fit that. Imagine how much lighter, smaller, and comfortable a streaming-only HMD would be without the need to run anything natively. That could absolutely push VR gaming forward and their entire SteamVR library would be compatible unlike the bulky Quest with it's library of weak mobile ports.

I would love for Steam to make a stream headset like Facebook too. Just to say though I can already play my whole SteamVR library and more wireless through the Quest.

Oct 28, 2017
A premium consumer product that you paid a lot of money for, gated by an arbitrary account login by a company that's notorious for mishandling user data. You'd have to be a complete nut to condone the business practice.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I would love for Steam to make a stream headset like Facebook too. Just to say though I can already play my whole SteamVR library and more wireless through the Quest.
Yeah, Virtual Desktop is great. It's the reason why I want Valve to go all in on a VD only device and drop all of that extra weight from the HMD. It'd be the best way to play VR in my mind.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
It doesn't matter at allllll. this is a lot of fuss about nothing. Here's why:

if you're a Facebook user, use your regular account with the headset. No problem

if you're not, create a burner account to use with the headset. No problem.

if you wanna get on a high horse about why Facebook is a terrible company, buy another VR headset. That might be annoying for some people who want to have their cake and eat it, but it's the only way

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
A premium consumer product that you paid a lot of money for, gated by an arbitrary account login by a company that's notorious for mishandling user data. You'd have to be a complete nut to condone the business practice.

and sorry to double post, but that premium product you paid for requires an oculus account - Facebook ALREADY own all this data they are mishandling

you'd have to be a complete nut to think the reason they bought oculus was anything other than getting data, that's their entire business model! Again if you don't like it other VR headsets are available

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I'm cool with it, I have seen how Zuckerberg moves and interacts, that dude needs some Intel on human movement ASAP.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even begin to imagine the mental gymnastics some of you went through to want to give your money to that POS Luckey in the first place and what you all thought Facebook's endgame was when they bought the company.

Oculus was a trash company from the very start but this is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Really?

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Having never had a FB account I'm curious, does one need to use their real name as their handle? This would be the only possible hang up for me. I wouldn't want my real name to be visible to other people in a multiplayer game. All it takes is a 10 second Google search to reveal phone numbers, addresses, and family members. If I can keep this hidden then nothing really changed with this move. As others have pointed out if you have an Oculus account FB already has your info.

Edit - It seems you can keep your Identity anonymous.

When you log in with a Facebook account, you can still create or maintain a unique VR profile. And if you don't want your Oculus friends to find you by your Facebook name, they won't—just make it visible to 'Only Me' in your Oculus settings.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Facebook is shit, but you had to know this was coming. All it means is I'll never own an Oculus product because I'll never make another Facebook account. Dummy accounts only end up biting you in the ass down the line, especially if you purchase things through them...I'll pass.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

It is ignored because it is a loss leading strategy by Facebook. There is no way they make money on the Quest hardware.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
There's a major controversy over Facebook wanting Oculus to make new users/current users use their services to use any of their VR headsets. For me, I don't know what to say on one hand this has been something that was bound to happen. After all, Facebook bought the company. So it was a matter of time. But on the other hand, I find it wrong because why force people to use Facebook to use their services. I think and maybe I'm wrong. I think they should've done that where if you want to use social services. But if you have to sign-in to Facebook just to purchase something on their storefront. I find that to be unfair. I don't know. I rather see what you guys think.

Do you agree with it or not?
Yes. Disagreeing is like saying you disagree valve want you to login to use their services