• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree with what Oculus is making users use Facebook to continue using their services?

• YES

Votes: 105 8.4%
  • NO

Votes: 1,139 91.6%

• Total voters

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
There's a major controversy over Facebook wanting Oculus to make new users/current users use their services to use any of their VR headsets. For me, I don't know what to say on one hand this has been something that was bound to happen. After all, Facebook bought the company. So it was a matter of time. But on the other hand, I find it wrong because why force people to use Facebook to use their services. I think and maybe I'm wrong. I think they should've done that where if you want to use social services. But if you have to sign-in to Facebook just to purchase something on their storefront. I find that to be unfair. I don't know. I rather see what you guys think.

Do you agree with it or not?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
hell no. it's awful in every way.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No, I don't like it, but not because of the account creation itself more so that we have a strong documented history of FB not handing data well.

I don't trust Facebook with anything and while in general you shouldn't trust companies there are some that you can more than others. Plus isn't there some documentation from the original owner that said you will never have to use Facebook. I don't know much about the legal system but that seems like an issue.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
LMAO

s5YOBPw.png

I'm good personally. Definitely was a matter of time before Facebook pulled a move like this.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care. Your usage data was going to Facebook anyway, so what is the difference?

Oct 27, 2017
Do I agree that FaceBook logins are required for Oculus? Yes, that's what Oculus said. I agree that they made that statement. Are you asking if I am happy about it? Who would be?

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
I won't buy an Oculus product until they either remove this or allow an account not tied to my identity.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have an Oculus Rift S and the moment I can't avoid using Facebook, it's going to be listed on craigslist lol

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's no different than when google merged their accounts with youtube, I don't like it but come on, it's also not the end of the world or a decision maker in terms to what VR headset you will be using. I mean most of the people complaining have FB, Instagram or Whatsapp accounts so their complaining makes less sense.

Not a fan of the decision, don't care and doesn't really matter.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't agree with it but Facebook has the right to require it since you know, they own Oculus.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't they own it? Surprised it wasn't already a thing. I have a burner account for all social media for bullshit like this.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have a facebook account anymore and not looking to make a new one. Also kinda done with the Oculus store anyways when I don't want to rely on a third party app to play those games when Oculus can try and block Revive again, also performance is wonky on some games and don't see the worth of putting up with it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I know they already had all my data with just a simple Oculus account and other ways but just the brand Facebook is completely tarnished to me. I want nothing to do with it.

I don't mind the idea of a device requiring an account, they need to authenticate you somehow but Facebook? Eww.

edit: voted yes btw. I mean yes, they can use their own authentication system to authenticate their users. But, I certainly don't want to make a new fb account. By that time I'll probably be using steam for VR anyway.

Last edited:

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I deleted my Facebook account almost 10 years ago now... Yea I wouldn't even be able to play this thing if that's the case. Never going back to that trash fire of a platform.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I've been debating on buying an Oculus Quest/Rift S for a while now. This decision killed my interest in any current or future oculus products, fuck that.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
No, I was planning on maybe getting a Rift S but not anymore. Will probably get the HP Reverb G2 now. Or a Valve Index if I have the money.

Fuck Facebook.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. it's completely required? No other options?
They have some kind of Oculus ID system in place now, but at some point that will be phased out and all users will just login with their Facebook ID.

Similar to how YouTube used to have a separate login from Gmail, but now it's all under the same banner of a single Google login.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I deleted my Facebook account almost 10 years ago now... Yea I wouldn't even be able to play this thing if that's the case. Never going back to that trash fire of a platform.

I mean you would be able to, you'd just need to reactivate or create a new account. If you are that against Facebook on principle (and I wouldn't blame you) I assume you wouldn't consider buying an Oculus anyway even if they didn't require an account since all the money/data is going to them regardless.

I get why its an issue, but I also think its sorta overblown.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you would be able to, you'd just need to reactivate or create a new account. If you are that against Facebook on principle (and I wouldn't blame you) I assume you wouldn't consider buying an Oculus anyway even if they didn't require an account since all the money/data is going to them regardless.
That's what I don't understand. All these people were cool with Facebook owning Oculus, collecting Oculus user data and metrics......but now that they have to have a burner Facebook account that's somehow unacceptable?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Facebook inevitably absorbing Oculus into the collective is exactly why I never seriously considered a Rift. I wish they wouldn't, but Facebook gonna Facebook.

Also break up Facebook.

OP
OP
Derktron

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
That's what I don't understand. All these people were cool with Facebook owning Oculus, collecting Oculus user data and metrics......but now that they have to have a burner Facebook account that's somehow unacceptable?
That's a good question, why didn't people complain about that.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
No but it's Facebook so you should always expect them to do the shittiest possible thing in any given circumstance. Especially when it's a thing they promised they wouldn't do.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I don't like it but it's their product they can do what they want. I won't be buying any oculus products from now on.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It makes me never want to buy an oculus that's for sure. Deleted my facebook long ago, and I have to interest in making another one.