• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Biden's statement?

• Yes

Votes: 554 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 602 52.1%

• Total voters

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
User banned (3 months): Inflammatory points of comparison over multiple posts, history of similar behaviour

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This site never fails to let us know valued black people are here.

Fits right in with the democratic party.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Violence is violence.

Imagine if it were far right white supremacist militians doing that shit. Would you think is their right to do so?

No, you goober. Violence against those who hold power is not the same as terrorizing vulnerable and marginalized people.

There is no overthrowing the system anymore, at least not in today's America. A bunch of people can go cosplay as anarchists and throw bricks at buildings for a few weeks, but that's not going to affect even a fraction of the larger population that will still be comfortably carrying on as if nothing's happening and will still be propping up the system.

So that boils down violence to just raising public awareness, basically. But you can raise public awareness just fine with peaceful protests, and you still ultimately need elected officials to enact the changes you want from the protests, so voting is still equally as important as protesting.

I suppose you could directly affect change through violence by going full blown terrorist and taking over cities with guerilla warfare tactics. But honestly, fuck off if you seriously support something like that.

So yes, I agree with Biden's statement. And reading all this edgelord shit promoting violence on this forum is starting to get insufferable. It's like when 4chan cheers on school shooters.

Literally no important protest ever went anywhere by staying "peaceful."

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
You realize the majority of the country votes this way, right? Republicans and moderate Democrat voters don't get most of the policies they want from the candidates they elect. You act as if you're the only ones not getting exactly what you want exactly when you want it. Them being more regular and reliable voters makes them more valuable to the respective parties than activists who don't vote in every election. Stuff like the judiciary took a long time for Republicans to transform while their voters reliably voted Republican under Obama even though they didn't get what they wanted.

The party can't ignore you if a larger and larger bloc in congress represent your ideas. AOC, Jayapal, Markey, etc won seats in safe blue districts. Showing up and electing more like them moves the party left while not risking taking steps backwards by losing the majority altogether.

you not getting it

you and others quick to get to berating about bringing in the fucking moderates, and now you telling me they not getting what they want

dawg, I do not give a FUCK what they not getting

You telling me to galvanize a bigger portion of people to push the party left like the Dems don't fight against that very thing. You completely ignore how hard they fought against AOCs primary because they washed it with how lovable she is and how welcomed she was to the party 🙄

You and the rest of people exposing these takes always miss the point. The Dems never fucking show up but continue to insult us. The moderates you always put on a fucking pedistal always seem to be the roadblock to fucking progress. Always.

Always waiting for them to come around for our goddamn dignity in the streets.

"You act as if you're the only ones not getting exactly what you want exactly when you want it"

haha honestly dude, fuck you for this one

I'm talking about my people dying in streets, not getting adequate healthcare, not having proper means to generating wealth ........ since even before this fuck ass country started and.....

"You're not the only ones not getting what you want"

man fuck out my face

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
He's a candidate for President of the United States, not a leader of a rebellion. It's the right thing for him to say as someone trying to deescalate the situation.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
Violence is violence.

Imagine if it were far right white supremacist militians doing that shit. Would you think is their right to do so?

The difference is that one group is protesting against violence at them and their kin. White supremacists would be protesting... what, that their dorito expired?

EDIT: this was supposed to be an edit and addition to my last post. Excuse me.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no overthrowing the system anymore, at least not in today's America. A bunch of people can go cosplay as anarchists and throw bricks at buildings for a few weeks, but that's not going to affect even a fraction of the larger population that will still be comfortably carrying on as if nothing's happening and will still be propping up the system.

So that boils down violence to just raising public awareness, basically. But you can raise public awareness just fine with peaceful protests, and you still ultimately need elected officials to enact the changes you want from the protests, so voting is still equally as important as protesting.

I suppose you could directly affect change through violence by going full blown terrorist and taking over cities with guerilla warfare tactics. But honestly, fuck off if you seriously support something like that.

So yes, I agree with Biden's statement. And reading all this edgelord shit promoting violence on this forum is starting to get insufferable. It's like when 4chan cheers on school shooters.
This is a bullshit post for the mere fact that no one seems to be advocating for fucking violence. In fact we want an end to violence and that starts when the police stops fucking killing black people. You guys keeps crafting straw men to attack as opposed to actually reading and listening to what people here are saying. Also it's pretty ahistorical to assume violence has no place at all in social movements. History is filled with violent movements. In addition to that we had peaceful protests all summer that the media largely ignored.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Violence is violence.
Violence is constantly being exhibited towards black people and other minorities/protected classes in the US. Be it through dumbfuck cops, right wing nutjobs, through laws and legislations directly designed to hurt them (this is 100% unarguable violence btw). If you're saying people shouldn't fight back against this any way they can then you're clueless.

Here's from someone who also "lived" through a war it doesn't give you any more say in the matter.

Mar 10, 2018
Just a reminder that the ANC's efforts against apartheid would not have succeeded without the bombings carried out by Umkhonto we Sizwe

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
You telling me to galvanize a bigger portion of people to push the party left like the Dems don't fight against that very thing. You completely ignore how hard they fought against AOCs primary because they washed it with how lovable she is and how welcomed she was to the party 🙄

This is factually incorrect. The party as an apparatus defends incumbent Democrats. When AOC ran in 2018, the party was defending Crowley--who for the record, was quite left for a Democrat, he wasn't some Manchin/Van Drew/Lipinski style Democrat. But once she won, guess who the party defended in the 2020 Primary? AOC was endorsed by Nancy Pelosi herself and was given the full weight of the DCCC.

I'm talking about my people dying in streets, not getting adequate healthcare, not having proper means to generating wealth ........ since even before this fuck ass country started and.....

Well there is in fact a candidate mentioned in the title of this very topic who is advocating to improve all those things by implementing use of force standards and accountability, a public healthcare option, and investing heavily in communities of color, all well acknowledging at every opportunity that systemic racism is a very real problem.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not sure who said this but this country fought two fucking revolutionary wars lmao

I was being coy, lol. It's our good friend Mr. Marx. Though, I like this spin on it too:

"Marx says that revolutions are the locomotives of world history. But the situation may be quite different. Perhaps revolutions are not the train ride, but the human race grabbing for the emergency brake." - Walter Benjamin

We're facing a society that is increasingly breaking down under the weight of its own contradictions. How much more can this last?

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was being coy, lol. It's our good friend Mr. Marx. Though, I like this spin on it too:

"Marx says that revolutions are the locomotives of world history. But the situation may be quite different. Perhaps revolutions are not the train ride, but the human race grabbing for the emergency brake." - Walter Benjamin

We're facing a society that is increasingly breaking down under the weight of its own contradictions. How much more can this last?
Sorry you know I'm still a young'n with the Marxian thought. Still learning from you and the others in the OT as well as reading a lot.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
A suggestion for my white moderate allies is to instead call out the instances of police brutality, or at least make an effort to condemn the cops instead of whitewashing a goddamn murder.

Like, all this focus on looting and whatnot, whereas the cops are the biggest thugs on the planet and get protected daily by these politicians, especially with these kinds of statements.

this thread is over 260 tweets long, filled almost exclusively with videos of unprovoked violence by police on peaceful protesters

Old thread too, imagine how much more fuckery we could fit into that over these past 4 months? But it's those uppity rampaging blacks yeah?

Maybe everyone should of listened to black people when they protested peacefully by kneeling.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Unless you spend more time discussing what incited the riots than condemning the riots then I don't wanna hear it

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sorry you know I'm still a young'n with the Marxian thought. Still learning from you and the others in the OT as well as reading a lot.

Right, right. All good! Just didn't want to take away too much from the main point: that violent resistance is a constant throughout history and pretty much the only reason society has drastically improved over time. I think one of the biggest lies liberalism sells people is "all previous violence was necessary, but modern violence isn't." Unless it's state violence of course.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that twitter thread of unprovoked violence is over 1000 now, I believe. There is a Google Spreadsheet.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Violence against property is seen as more contemptible than violence against Black lives. I wonder why that is.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
No, I deleted it for clarity of my argument, not because I needed to do so to make the conclusion. Even if you use the long form "anger at the racial injustice in our society has no excuse for violence", it does not change my argument that you have conflated the meaning of "does not excuse violence" with "violence cannot have positive outcomes" (or even "violence is what was necessary").

The distinction is important. You may have people who "had to be violent to make real necessary changes at the time". That does not mean that, even if eventually seen by everyone as a "good thing", those same people can get away without some form of hearing where their actions are reviewed against the outcomes and the overall situation. They aren't just "automatically excused".

With the Tea Party incident, that "hearing" had no venue, since it was an overthrow of government and the English legal system as established in America at the time evaporated.

But that is not the situation we are in now, especially with Biden (or anyone who would be running for President). Dismantling the existing legal system is not a ticket item with any real clout in the country at this time.

And right away, you are going down the path of conflating two different meanings again.

Yeah, I agree with this.

This all sounds like semantics and being mealy mouth. You talking by about you edited the quote for clarity of your point??

the hell??, take the quote as is. That's what we talking about. We have different perspective. We not gonna see eye to eye

Put it this way. The slave revolts that took place in early America? Justified. All of them. It was good thing it happened. People are allowed to defend themselves from oppression and use violence if left no alternatives

Since you seem to miss majority of the OP, looking at history

White people are the last group to tell ANYONE when violence is justified.

Last fucking group on earth

This is factually incorrect. The party as an apparatus defends incumbent Democrats. When AOC ran in 2018, the party was defending Crowley--who for the record, was quite left for a Democrat, he wasn't some Manchin/Van Drew/Lipinski style Democrat. But once she won, guess who the party defended in the 2020 Primary? AOC was endorsed by Nancy Pelosi herself and was given the full weight of the DCCC.

Well there is in fact a candidate mentioned in the title of this very topic who is advocating to improve all those things by implementing use of force standards and accountability, a public healthcare option, and investing heavily in communities of color, all well acknowledging at every opportunity that systemic racism is a very real problem.

So you tell me that Dems protect incumbent Dems but out the same mouth will tell people to primary incumbents......

okay

The last part is cute to repeat a bunch of shit about the thread subject, like I don't know while just ignoring the same topic insulting the same people he claims to stand for

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
He's a politician, the fuck is he supposed to say?

That being said violence in terms of self defense? I support 100%. Condemning property damage just as much as the killing of unarmed black people? Fuck that.

And yea, violence has always been a white man's right in America. There's a reason "No guns for the negroes" has been a law. Hence why they get to open carry rifles and have militias. Let some black or brown people do the same though....

The sanctity of private property has always been a method in this country to keep the oppressed from getting "too violent" to be taken "seriously".

How so? In the sense of "They'll come for you and take what's yours"? Absolutely. But it's been the fear of the oppressed doing what they damn well know they'd do if someone did that shit to them and theirs that's the crux of it to me. America been afraid of "Slave Vengeance Day" from jump.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
This site never fails to let us know valued black people are here.

Fits right in with the democratic party.
So here's an honest question. I just vote blue. But reading the back and forth the last few months, I have seen the claims that black people have traditionally done worse under Democratic leadership than compared to Republican leadership. And some people will go as far as to say the Democratic party intentionally oppresses black people by constantly labeling them victims.

Now a lot of these talking points are brought up by Republican voters, so I didn't really know what to take from it. But your comment just brought it to mind. How do you feel the Democratic party treats black people, as opposed to the Republican party?

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize the majority of the country votes this way, right? Republicans and moderate Democrat voters don't get most of the policies they want from the candidates they elect. You act as if you're the only ones not getting exactly what you want exactly when you want it. Them being more regular and reliable voters makes them more valuable to the respective parties than activists who don't vote in every election. Stuff like the judiciary took a long time for Republicans to transform while their voters reliably voted Republican under Obama to keep him from implementing policy even though they didn't get their own policies passed.

The party can't ignore you if a larger and larger bloc in congress represent your ideas. AOC, Jayapal, Markey, etc won seats in safe blue districts. Showing up and electing more like them moves the party left while not risking taking steps backwards by losing the majority altogether.
This is such a disgusting thing to say to a Black American man in this thread of all places. Shame on you. And shame on all the people being dismissive in this thread.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Violence is violence.

Basically, "both sides", huh? There is no equivalence in this situation. Far-right white supremacist militants doing this will always be far more a negative thing because of who they are and what they stand for. You cannot equate the anger and frustration of people that have been killed and kept down through the centuries with the evil and acts of aggression by those who've ALWAYS BEEN ON TOP and want to suppress and intimidate others to KEEP THEIR PLACE ON TOP. If you see both actions as being equal, get a new pair of eyes and slap whoever conditioned YOU to think that way because THEY WERE WRONG to do so, and YOU ARE WRONG for believing that shit!

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
He's a candidate for President of the United States, not a leader of a rebellion. It's the right thing for him to say as someone trying to deescalate the situation.
Yup. 100%. I can't imagine a presidential candidate endorsing rioting and violence. Not to say it's not understandable in some way, but like.. As a person running for president I would never say they were right to smash and loot or throw stuff at police.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Right, right. All good! Just didn't want to take away too much from the main point: that violent resistance is a constant throughout history and pretty much the only reason society has drastically improved over time. I think one of the biggest lies liberalism sells people is "all previous violence was necessary, but modern violence isn't." Unless it's state violence of course.

Very glad you mentioned this, because I def forgot to expand on this. It's insane to see us at this point dealing with Liberalism especially when we look at how Liberalism came into our community

And what do you know! It came after violence killed off our community and civil rights organizers in the late 60s

guess that violence was justified

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
So you tell me that Dems protect incumbent Dems but out the same mouth will tell people to primary incumbents......

I didn't say that? Your initial statement was that the Democratic Party fought specifically against AOC to prevent the party from moving to the left. That's not what happened. The party--for better or worse--has an obligation to defend incumbents, unless they do something especially egregious. The goal of the institution is to win and then defend seats, which is exactly what they did both in 2018 and 2020. That is effectively the role of political parties. I firmly believe safe deep blue districts like NY-14 should have the furthest left Democrats in them, but once again, Crowley was to the left of the Party as a whole--not as far to the left as AOC, but he was there.

The last part is cute to repeat a bunch of shit about the thread subject, like I don't know while just ignoring the same topic insulting the same people he claims to stand for

There is no way to wave a magic wand and fix systemic injustice. Anyone who believes that is naïve at best, delusional at worst. Biden has a platform that actively addresses every concern you've raised. It may not go as far as you would like, but we have to live within political reality. Support for reform is higher than it has been in ages, support for the BLM movement is at almost its highest point, and healthcare is the most important issue for a good number of Americans--before COVID hit, it was basically the reason Dem's won the House in 2018. That being said, a major party candidate that wants to actually win cannot go out there and advocate for acts of violence against law enforcement. As frustrating as that is, It will never happen because at the end of the day, no changes will occur if you cannot win any elections.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize the majority of the country votes this way, right? Republicans and moderate Democrat voters don't get most of the policies they want from the candidates they elect. You act as if you're the only ones not getting exactly what you want exactly when you want it. Them being more regular and reliable voters makes them more valuable to the respective parties than activists who don't vote in every election. Stuff like the judiciary took a long time for Republicans to transform while their voters reliably voted Republican under Obama to keep him from implementing policy even though they didn't get their own policies passed.

Ugghh. So fucking condensing.

This is why i say liberals are nothing but seat warmers for fascists.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
I don't know what you would expect him to say, no presidential candidate is going to condone violence yet alone encourage it. I get the feeling some people want America to go from Donald trump to the most progressive unifying president ever but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. 250 years of racism and inequality doesn't just get erased over night, it's gonna be a long and hard road for America to get where it needs to be.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what you would expect him to say, no presidential candidate is going to condone violence yet alone encourage it. I get the feeling some people want America to go from Donald trump to the most progressive unifying president ever but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. 250 years of racism and inequality doesn't just get erased over night, it's gonna be a long and hard road for America to get where it needs to be.
No one is saying that. My goodness.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Your not going to have a presidential candidate pushing for violence or saying it's right. Well except for Trump maybe

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yup. 100%. I can't imagine a presidential candidate endorsing rioting and violence. Not to say it's not understandable in some way, but like.. As a person running for president I would never say they were right to smash and loot or throw stuff at police.
The last thing we need is someone as polarizing as Trump in office, just far left and calling for violence. Biden is acting like a leader.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So here's an honest question. I just vote blue. But reading the back and forth the last few months, I have seen the claims that black people have traditionally done worse under Democratic leadership than compared to Republican leadership. And some people will go as far as to say the Democratic party intentionally oppresses black people by constantly labeling them victims.

Now a lot of these talking points are brought up by Republican voters, so I didn't really know what to take from it. But your comment just brought it to mind. How do you feel the Democratic party treats black people, as opposed to the Republican party?

I can delve into more detail but in a nutshell:

Democrats- court black voters in presidential primary/downticket races > swing towards white moderates in general election > ignore black communities while in office, rinse, repeat. Also, lots of tokenism, black politicians placed strategically to ratify the white status quo.

Republicans- flat-out racist against black Americans, or at least ok with racism against black Americans because they want tax cuts and deregulation.

One party is apathetic or hostile, the other straight hostile to black interests.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that lie is false on its face given just how much the state engages in violence, both domestically and abroad. And in many ways that violence has gotten worse with the advent of neoliberalism, not better

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm damn. Shitty statement... but America is full of shitty people we need to vote to take the shitty Senate.

God I wish Warren had gotten the nom.