• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree with Biden's statement?

• Yes

Votes: 554 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 602 52.1%

• Total voters

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Every single example you listed has a defined enemy. Destroying property often times leads to the original victims living even harder lives because it depresses the area economically. These protestors typically burn down their own areas. There is a lot of research online about it but directionless violence doesn't work. In fact it's usually self harming.

not saying I don't understand just the end result isn't positive.

Sure. But voter apathy is a real thing. And I know it's happening in the circles I run in.

Shut the fuck up, black people so that we can...reform the police, give them more money, and train them to shoot in the leg instead of killing us.

Sounds good.
Voter apathy is exactly what the right wants. The more infighting and divisive the left gets the better for them. Any apathy you or others feel is a feather in the cap of people trying to oppress you.

edit: to summarize my thoughts the time to criticize Biden was in the primary not during an election. That's why you'll see people get. Defensive. You can criticize after or before not during. Just my opinion.

Mar 10, 2018
OP If you know who Biden is, then you shouldn't be surprised by this statement. You're not wrong, but what he said is to be expected.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Losing the majority in 2022 so that Republicans do even worse than that.

Sounds good.

Lmao solid call. Let's depress the activist base and create voter apathy just so we can get people who don't personally like Trump but love GOP policy to be our friend. Let me know how that works out for you.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I expect to be piled on for saying this, but I'll say it.

If Joe comes out super-hard against cops and even forgives the looting/rioting, he may lose enough votes to beat Trump. That's the thinking anyway.

If you don't think that's part of his measured response, you're not being honest with yourselves.

At THAT point, you have to ask yourself - who gives you the tiniest bit of hope that they MIGHT make a positive change with this in the next 4 years? Joe Biden or Donald Trump?

I know it's the not brave, steadfast, stoic answer people want. But that's literally the reality of the situation.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck that niggas are tired of being fed bullshit statements like that. Biden shouldn't have to constantly shit on black people just to make dumbass whites happy, and if we have a issue with that we need to bring it up right now.

We been waiting to have that conversation for years and it still hasn't happened.

I hear you.

nqec37t3mge31.png

Serious question to you and anyone else who thinks this way. When is the appropriate time for yall? How much longer do you want oppressed and marginalized people to wait for their rights and for justice?

I think we're well beyond the time, time ran out decades ago.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Republicans hold their tongue with Trump and got policy accomplished antithetical to your ideas. Winning and holding a majority is everything in a two party system.

However, in 2021, if the Dems take power, it's time for them show proof

It's been a non stop "wait till after this" kick the can approach

It's over, the society is in shambles

It's why I said the Trifecta will reveal the soul of the country. The Dems will finally reform the country or leave us high and dry like always

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Lmao solid call. Let's depress the activist base and create voter apathy just so we can get people who don't personally like Trump but love GOP policy to be our friend. Let me know how that works out for you.

You're acting like Democrats don't need to rely on moderates to vote. Condoning violence depresses the moderate base. It's a numbers game and your vote isn't magically worth more than a moderate vote.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
You're acting like Democrats don't need to rely on moderates to vote. Condoning violence depresses the moderate base. It's a numbers game and your vote isn't magically worth more than a moderate vote.
You know how moderates get policy sway? They don't show up every time. You literally have to appeal to them. Why is that negotiation power never allotted to the left? Because it's clear we aren't allies. My vote is equal to a moderate's vote and you and other Democrats would do well to remember that.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
However, in 2021, if the Dems take power, it's time for them show proof

It's been a non stop "wait till after this" kick the can approach

It's over, the society is in shambles

It's why I said the Trifecta will reveal the soul of the country. The Dems will finally reform the country or leave us high and dry like always

Yup, I'm all for pressing moderates once the party is safely in the majority. The best way to safely keep the majority is to primary blue districts with progressive candidates or threaten to do so to change incumbents policies. Causing the party to lose the majority is counterproductive.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
You know how moderates get policy sway? They don't show up every time. You literally have to appeal to them. Why is that negotiation power never allotted to the left? Because it's clear we aren't allies. My vote is equal to a moderate's vote and you and other Democrats would do well to remember that.

Moderates show up much more reliably to the poll than activists. Youth vote dropped significantly during midterms after Obama's elections.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I expect to be piled on for saying this, but I'll say it.

If Joe comes out super-hard against cops and even forgives the looting/rioting, he may lose enough votes to beat Trump. That's the thinking anyway.

If you don't think that's part of his measured response, you're not being honest with yourselves.

At THAT point, you have to ask yourself - who gives you the tiniest bit of hope that they MIGHT make a positive change with this in the next 4 years? Joe Biden or Donald Trump?

I know it's the not brave, steadfast, stoic answer people want. But that's literally the reality of the situation.

If you think Biden is saying this due to the election and not because this is what he believes you're naive.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I don't agree with him, but honestly anything other than a middle of the road statement would've been tantamount to grabbing the third rail at this point.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
"At the same time, No amount of anger at the very real injustices in our society excuses violence"

BZZZT. Wrong. Incorrect. Not factual.

The quote is accurate. You have deviated from the meaning of the word "excuse" as your formed the arguments in your OP, such that you started taking the meaning "anger does not excuse violence" to mean "violence cannot have a positive eventual outcome".

I get that the conversation of the thread has moved on to it being more about "whether Biden is right to make such a statement that denounces anyone participating in violence", but in terms of the statement itself, it is not unsound.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What bloc are you talking about? White Democratic women outnumber all Democratic African Americans.

It's black women.

lol @ relying on white women. Ya'll out here happy Trump is losing suburban support because he's just that sexist. Meanwhile in black houses...

Losing the majority in 2022 so that Republicans do even worse than that.

Sounds good.

Yawn.

How many black men have to get shot, how many black women have to die in hospitals, how many systemic issues we got to ignore because white people don't give a shit about us?

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Yup, I'm all for pressing moderates once the party is safely in the majority. The best way to safely keep the majority is to primary blue districts with progressive candidates or threaten to do so to change incumbents policies. Causing the party to lose the majority is counterproductive.

You do realize there is nothing to press? We gave them our votes, they will walk into power.

They literally have no accountability to us. They can literally do what they want.

That's why the situation is so dire. They can do whatever they want

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I mean, I don't agree with the statement. Unfortunately, there are people in power that won't listen to the cries of people until it results in their pocketbooks being hurt. That being said, I don't think any president or presidential candidate could or would say this.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
nqec37t3mge31.png

Serious question to you and anyone else who thinks this way. When is the appropriate time for yall? How much longer do you want oppressed and marginalized people to wait for their rights and for justice?
The thought-process behind it seems to be:

"Wait until he has the power to do something, because a Trump reelection certainly won't bring about change"
- Which is a sentiment I certainly understand, it is a crucial election... But I'm also willing to bet that this argument isn't coming from most black users here on Era.

It's easy to say wait for change, when you yourself don't have to wait on anything.

Denouncing the actions of the police, acknowledging the problem and putting the emphasis on the much needed police reform, whilst still encouraging people to try to stay calm (no matter how justifiable the violence and the anger is), should've been possible.

The statement is clumsy, because it almost makes looting out to be a bigger issue than innocent men and women getting killed by the very people who're supposed to protect them.

"Looting is a crime!", that's the part that gets me the most.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
They can't both be correct.
If Biden did not condemn violence it would have been a gaffe. He was correct in issuing this statement. That can exist simultaneous to the issues outlines in the OP. We don't live in a world where what is just is the only thing that matters and that is what makes it fucked up but it doesn't make it untrue.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
You are right OP. In many, if not most, cases, change comes about via violence. People can go around praying and wishing that things wouldn't be this way, but they are and have always been.
But as others have said, the president is not the person to advocade for violence - or even find it acceptable. In fact, for matters that a president agrees with, violence is NOT the only way.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
It's black women.

lol @ relying on white women. Ya'll out here happy Trump is losing suburban support because he's just that sexist. Meanwhile in black houses...

What's your plan for winning a majority of votes in America's two party system without white women? I'd love to hear it.

Yawn.

How many black men have to get shot, how many black women have to die in hospitals, how many systemic issues we got to ignore because white people don't give a shit about us?

Probably more under Republicans. You can be angry and frustrated (I am too) but if there's no plan to keep winning elections and be able to keep the majority that frustration doesn't get us anywhere. I'll repeat what I said above, the effective way to keep the majority and move the party left is to primary blue districts and move the center of congress left.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
User banned (3 weeks): Dismissive and insensitive commentary in a sensitive thread
You do realize there is nothing to press? We gave them our votes, they will walk into power.

They literally have no accountability to us. They can literally do what they want.

That's why the situation is so dire. They can do whatever they want

You realize the majority of the country votes this way, right? Republicans and moderate Democrat voters don't get most of the policies they want from the candidates they elect. You act as if you're the only ones not getting exactly what you want exactly when you want it. Them being more regular and reliable voters makes them more valuable to the respective parties than activists who don't vote in every election. Stuff like the judiciary took a long time for Republicans to transform while their voters reliably voted Republican under Obama to keep him from implementing policy even though they didn't get their own policies passed.

The party can't ignore you if a larger and larger bloc in congress represent your ideas. AOC, Jayapal, Markey, etc won seats in safe blue districts. Showing up and electing more like them moves the party left while not risking taking steps backwards by losing the majority altogether.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Biden did not condemn violence it would have been a gaffe. He was correct in issuing this statement. That can exist simultaneous to the issues outlines in the OP. We don't live in a world where what is just is the only thing that matters and that is what makes it fucked up but it doesn't make it untrue.
Read the OP again. It can't co-exist with Biden's statement (well, you can't agree to both simultaneously).

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The quote is accurate. You have deviated from the meaning of the word "excuse" as your formed the arguments in your OP, such that you started taking the meaning "anger does not excuse violence" to mean "violence cannot have a positive eventual outcome".

I get that the conversation of the thread has moved on to it being more about "whether Biden is right to make such a statement that denounces anyone participating in violence", but in terms of the statement itself, it is not unsound.

In order to make the conclusion, you completely deleted "anger at the racial injustice in our society has no excuse"

it's wrong. If that statement was correct then the Civil War wasn't justified under the same standard.

It's a completely asinine statement esp coming from White Govt towards Black Citizens

Jun 10, 2018
Kinda scary how people are implying that ignoring the circumstances of the murder of yet another Black person is a reasonable political stance if that gets you closer to be president.
Wait long enough and users here will tell you in as many words that they don't really give a fuck about black people.

"Black Lives Matter" is less a call to action and more so to them a mere participation ribbon stating they passed the bare minimum of human decency. And look - it's even trademarked now, to be repackaged and sold to masses so they can make a quick buck off of black oppression just like the forefathers of this nation did. How poetically American.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
nqec37t3mge31.png

Folks claiming that this is just like a 2020 election thing are fooling themselves. We've been having these convos and arguments about moderate liberal antipathy towards true change because it'll scare away the white voter.

a favorite article of mine, ngl
www.smithsonianmag.com

Even Though He Is Revered Today, MLK Was Widely Disliked by the American Public When He Was Killed

Seventy-five percent of Americans disapproved of the civil rights leader as he spoke out against the Vietnam War and economic disparity
King had made passing allusions to this possibility before, but a straightforward call for an active biracial coalition of have-nots was just as terrifying to white ruling elites, be they on Peachtree Street or Wall Street, as it had been when raised by the Populists in the 1890s.

King did nothing to quell these concerns when he later told David Halberstam that he had abandoned the incremental approach to social change of his civil rights protest days in favor of pursuing "a reconstruction of the entire society, a revolution of values," one which would "look uneasily on the glaring contrast of poverty and wealth with righteous indignation."

King's vision of a "revolution in values" was not purely domestic. In April 1967, he denounced American involvement in Vietnam, once at his own Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta and once at Riverside Church in New York before 3,000 people, on April 4, precisely a year before he was killed.
Former Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee Chairman Stokely Carmichael observed that, in this case, King was taking on not a hapless, wholly unsympathetic villain like Birmingham's Sheriff Eugene "Bull" Connor, but rather "the entire policy of the United States government." The consequences were swift and severe: an outraged President Lyndon Johnson cut off all contact with King. And a great number of black Americans—including many old allies and colleagues from the civil rights years—warned that his stance could have devastating consequences for their cause.

King hardly fared better in pursuing his domestic agenda. It was one thing to capture public sympathy nationwide when pitted against the raw hatred and brutality that seemed the peculiar province of whites below the Mason-Dixon Line. It proved quite another to persuade whites outside the South to share their neighborhoods and jobs with blacks, or to support expensive federal assistance programs dedicated to helping blacks overcome the historic disadvantages imposed on them by whites of earlier generations.

It's the eternal argument. There's never a season for to take a strong position against historical systemic abuse. So you protect the police, you protect the institutions, and you defame and decry the people crying out loud, usually always trending black and disenfranchised.

Yeah, it's a strategy. And it's been the strategy going back to when Frederick Douglass got up on a stage to talk to some white people and dropped on them "What to the Slave is the Fourth of July".

But I fancy I hear some one of my audience say, it is just in this circumstance that you and your brother abolitionists fail to make a favorable impression on the public mind. Would you argue more, and denounce less, would you persuade more, and rebuke less, your cause would be much more likely to succeed.

But, I submit, where all is plain there is nothing to be argued.
What point in the anti-slavery creed would you have me argue?
On what branch of the subject do the people of this country need light? Must I undertake to prove that the slave is a man?

That point is conceded already. Nobody doubts it. The slaveholders themselves acknowledge it in the enactment of laws for their government. They acknowledge it when they punish disobedience on the part of the slave.

Sound familiar yeah? Same struggle, different generation.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think any meaningful progress will be made for criminal justice during Biden's time should he win then you're fucking crazy.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Not american here, but from a country that had an actual war a few decades ago. Violence should always be the last resort, not an asset.

People disagreeing with him are the same that nonetheless disagreed with Obama using drones?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There are points in history where violence is required to force change. Regardless, a presidential candidate saying so would be....unwise... when things are so fragile. The GOP would absolutely capitalize on such a statement, and they'd be right to.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think violence isn't the best solution in most cases where it is regularly used. Though obviously it has its place in self defense at a certain point.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
C'mon dude. It wouldve been so easy to nail that statement, without having to ~sacrifice moderates~. You can say violence is bad without putting the blame on the people protesting. You can say violence is bad, but not outright say its inexcusable or not a deserved reaction to the shit going on right now.

If you need to make a lukewarm statement, call the violence a '(regrettable) consequence'. Don't paint the victims as equally bad and don't put any focus on the ~looting~. Jesus christ.

I do agree that it'd be a terrible idea for any political candidate to support the violence, but you could've just shut up about it. No one is going to care that you left out the 'looting' if you just said 'shooting black people is bad'.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
In order to make the conclusion, you completely deleted "anger at the racial injustice in our society has no excuse"

No, I deleted it for clarity of my argument, not because I needed to do so to make the conclusion. Even if you use the long form "anger at the racial injustice in our society has no excuse for violence", it does not change my argument that you have conflated the meaning of "does not excuse violence" with "violence cannot have positive outcomes" (or even "violence is what was necessary").

The distinction is important. You may have people who "had to be violent to make real necessary changes at the time". That does not mean that, even if eventually seen by everyone as a "good thing", those same people can get away without some form of hearing where their actions are reviewed against the outcomes and the overall situation. They aren't just "automatically excused".

With the Tea Party incident, that "hearing" had no venue, since it was an overthrow of government and the English legal system as established in America at the time evaporated.

But that is not the situation we are in now, especially with Biden (or anyone who would be running for President). Dismantling the existing legal system is not a ticket item with any real clout in the country at this time.

it's wrong. If that statement was correct then the Civil War wasn't justified under the same standard.

And right away, you are going down the path of conflating two different meanings again.

C'mon dude. It wouldve been so easy to nail that statement, without having to ~sacrifice moderates~. You can say violence is bad without putting the blame on the people protesting. You can say violence is bad, but not outright say its inexcusable or not a deserved reaction to the shit going on right now.

If you need to make a lukewarm statement, call the violence a '(regrettable) consequence'. Don't paint the victims as equally bad and don't put any focus on the ~looting~. Jesus christ.

I do agree that it'd be a terrible idea for any political candidate to support the violence, but you could've just shut up about it. No one is going to care that you left out the 'looting' if you just said 'shooting black people is bad'.

Yeah, I agree with this.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Don't agree. But we are also 6 days away from an election that he needs to win so I can accept an answer like this on those terms.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not american here, but from a country that had an actual war a few decades ago. Violence should always be the last resort, not an asset.

People disagreeing with him are the same that nonetheless disagreed with Obama using drones?

You seriously think state sanctioned violence is the same as the oppressed rising up against their oppressors?

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned: Inflammatory comparison
There is no overthrowing the system anymore, at least not in today's America. A bunch of people can go cosplay as anarchists and throw bricks at buildings for a few weeks, but that's not going to affect even a fraction of the larger population that will still be comfortably carrying on as if nothing's happening and will still be propping up the system.

So that boils down violence to just raising public awareness, basically. But you can raise public awareness just fine with peaceful protests, and you still ultimately need elected officials to enact the changes you want from the protests, so voting is still equally as important as protesting.

I suppose you could directly affect change through violence by going full blown terrorist and taking over cities with guerilla warfare tactics. But honestly, fuck off if you seriously support something like that.

So yes, I agree with Biden's statement. And reading all this edgelord shit promoting violence on this forum is starting to get insufferable. It's like when 4chan cheers on school shooters.