• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Gravity Insanity
Oct 25, 2017
It's only "bogus" in that it implicitly and incorrectly assumes he didn't have input in the previs process, which he takes offense with.

Really there's nothing actually inflammatory about the subject matter, and even the OP's labelling of "do you agree" paints this as more controversial than it is. It's a tool, a way for a major studio like Disney to heavily storyboard in advance so they know how much money and resources a certain shot is going to need. It's only "controversial" in that it feeds into this narrative of Disney/Marvel "not letting their directors direct" which holds increasingly little weight and sounds increasingly like hatedom nonsense.
Nah, it was only a simple question. I've been a fan of Marvel movies and I always wondered how they managed to have such consistency in creating good films and to do it every single year. Something that others fail to do. It's because of this consistency, it led to the highest-grossing film of all time because people followed the story that began back in 2008. This is something I wish DCEU was good at, consistency. This is why I asked if people agree with the process of how they make movies.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No not really. It means that directors have less room for an artistic vision. It does lead to the series being more cohesive narratively I guess.
Good...the IP is too important to have Directors run will and try to one up one another. See the last Star Wars Trilogy and what kind of mess it turned to because they lacked a plan and vision for the whole trilogy.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Just because you plan something out well in advance doesn't mean the execution will be good. I'm sure the final fight in BP was planned for a long time and it still looked really poor.

The final fight in Black Panther was done in reshoots after principal photography. That's actually the biggest reason it looks the way it does.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good...the IP is too important to have Directors run will and try to one up one another. See the last Star Wars Trilogy and what kind of mess it turned to because they lacked a plan and vision for the whole trilogy.

The sequel trilogy had a planet's worth of previz and work years before any director came onboard. And the directors, much like on Marvel, were able to change it and pick and choose what they liked and making their own previz and art.

Dec 30, 2020
I always thought the brilliant process was that aside from The Avengers films, they're not typically superhero movies. Heist (Antman), war (Captain America), space opera (Guardians of the Galaxy), Shakespearean tragedy (Black Panther), etc. Makes it a lot easier to digest a bunch of them in a row without getting superhero burnout.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I will agree much more if competitors are allowed to flourish (and indeed, they need to stop walking over themselves respectively). Even Disney who owns Marvel blew it on Star Wars. I guess Kevin Feige knows something other producers don't.

But again, there should be room for competitors.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I watch a shit ton of interviews with directors of Marvel films and they near-universally cite the extensive previs work as being one of the biggest advantages of doing work with Marvel. Extends to other major Disney productions like Star Wars too.

It was so strange to see that video trending because of all of the times I've heard them (or actors) rave about being able to have their ideas fleshed out in previs to help guide preproduction or their performances.

After Wandavision, I think everyone can put to rest the idea that "ALL MARVEL STUFF IS THE SAME"
This hasn't been true for, like, two phases now. The only thing that will always remain true is people seeking to feel holier than thou by finding increasingly ridiculous reasons to question others enjoyment of the MCU.

They should have kept the Wandavision OT title as "Looks like a TV show" though. Can't belief people whole-heartedly tried to make something out of that while calling them over-CG'd at the same time. Pure nihilism.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I generally think Marvel movies are way overhyped, but I don't get why this matters? They are going for a massively cohesive universe where this amount of planning is paramount. My personal feeling is that the level of interconnectedness hurts artistic vision and produces samey movie beats, but they sell shitloads of tickets. So it's a pretty big non-story.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... There's even a journalist from EI who apologized to him in the replies and said she regretted they put that online without fact checking

I mean I'm not against criticizing the MCU formula but this video straight up says the movies are done before the directors come on board, it's ridiculous.

Sounds like some salty Snyder fanboys made that video...

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I like it and I think it has a lot to do with their success. Marvel is closely involved with the process of how their franchises are portrayed. I think that's important.

I also think that's the problem with DC movies. DC is not as involved and some of their movies have been disasters. Just giving a director free reign doesn't work with comic movies. The source material should be respected and the only way to make sure that happens is to have the comic creators more involved with production.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I will agree much more if competitors are allowed to flourish (and indeed, they need to stop walking over themselves respectively). Even Disney who owns Marvel blew it on Star Wars. I guess Kevin Feige knows something other producers don't.

But again, there should be room for competitors.

But the room is there, it's not like Marvel is some big monopoly that actively threatens competition.

Star Wars decided to make an entire trilogy based on shitting on the victories of the heroes and then constantly retcon itself.

And Sony actually thought it could build a Spider-Man universe with just making movies about the villains and giving Spider-Man resurrection powers....and they still haven't let go

DC recently decided to make Wonder Woman a rapist.

They have no one to blame but themselves for rushing face first into walls.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan, it feels impersonal, which is why most Marvel products fail to land for me. Every once in a while someone's vision kinda shines through ala Coogler or Gunn, but even then it's usually in service of empty entertainment. It all feels too manufactured. All that said, I'm ready to lose my shit during the next Spidey.

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's common knowledge that every Marvel movie is completely prevised, front to back with dialogue, long before directors on board. TTF makes them as animated movies (multiple times over) and then production films to those guides. Gunn is only correcting the idea that the directors don't have a say in altering the previs. They do... to an extent.

I know from personal experience that on every Marvel set there's an exec with an iPad checking the frame against the previs. That exec has final say.

They know their process works and they stick to it.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Gunn's tweets aside, I don't think this would be the worst thing in the world. There needs to be some level of consistency with respect to the action (powers, strength, etc) and the movies need to follow the same internal logic as one another, otherwise it all falls apart.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
If you want to make a $200-$300 million dollar movie, you better believe the entire thing will be meticulously planned out.

Just because Marvel does it before they hire a director sometimes doesn't mean much, since they still allow their directors to have an authoritative voice.

Even a late replacement like Peyton Reed on Antman allowed for quite a few significant changes to the movie.

Proper effects work takes months, if not years, and effects shots especially need to be planned out far in advance.

This is a completely normal part of filmmaking and something a lot of big budget productions are going to move more toward.

Another bonus is that it allows for directors, producers and even test audiences to see things early enough on that can give a much better idea of if the scene is going to work or not.