• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Would you do in Sylvie's Shoes?

• Kill He Who Remains. Open up Multiverse to chaos and infinite HWR's

Votes: 321 52.6%
  • Keep He who remains Alive. Rule Sacred Timeline as best you can.

Votes: 289 47.4%

• Total voters

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Why Reed got to catch a stray?
reed-richards-480x600.jpg

Good point.

Maybe the TVA's new job is just finding every Reed in the multiverse and being like "it is imperative you don't have sex. The universe depends on it."

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop Kang if the civilization couldn't reach the technological advancement to build time machine? If yes, I think we should do that

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
knowing what she knows, yes

knowing what i know (like who kang is) i would have taken his place and be the lesser of evils

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, was killing the guy who has murdered endless amounts of people and enslaved an entire universe the right thing to do? I'm gonna say yeah.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sylvie made the right choice. The destruction by the TVA is as near infinite as you can get; there's really no justification for it. It also removes free will and the ability for anything to evolve beyond what already is. The ultimate conservatism.

As an aside, I wonder if I understand this correctly.

The Sacred Timeline consists of a bundle of Universes, a limited multiverse, right? It's not just one universe, or the Avengers wouldn't be able to time travel at all, for example.

HWR is just pruning any branch that expands the multiverse beyond his plan for it, which exists to prevent rival Kangs from emerging and starting the multiversal war again.

Or am I wrong and there's only one universe with one timeline under the TVA?

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Surely HWR could have found allies somewhere on the sacred timeline. Consulting former sorcerer's/scientists supreme would have potentially formed a strong governing body or force (like the TV but... smarter?).

But perhaps that's a character flaw of Kang - it's gotta be him, he's gotta be at the head always.

Would have been interesting to see how Loki & Sylvie 'ruled' - I feel like Loki could have humbled himself on the throne, given his reluctance to take it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
No. Not because killing him was inherently the wrong choice, but because she didn't do it because she thought it was the right thing to do. She did it for revenge. There could very well have been a better option on the table, maybe even ones where he still wound up dead, and she didn't even want to take any time to consider it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Keeping the TVA running indefinitely meant feeding whole realities to a giant cloud monster... forever.
If I understand it correctly, Not whole realities, just those who were party to its nexus event. Still atrocious, but on a far lesser scale. They went to the location of nexus events, and prevented the nexus event from ever causing a new reality from being formed. That's how you get one or a few hundred people ending up beyond time to be eaten by Alioth, rather than literal whole universes numbering in the billions.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I have to say about Kang's dilemma

Still, the finale is....well, it's a half hour long conversation about the ethics of killing god, which I would absolutely fucking love, except the conversation is really....well, dumb? Kang basically presents us with two different choices where one is just explicitly extremely bad and the other can be good but built on hypocrisy. When I first heard it, my assumption was that he was manufacturing consent in some way. Present two different options, one of them clearly way worse than the other, which leads to most people selecting the less bad one that you want. The clear correct option here is for the Loki's to figure out what they really want and get that, and don't entertain his dichonomy at all. And I still feel that's the real answer here. Take the control of the TVA away from him, but instead of being the new heads of the TVA, just find a way to run it the way they want. Let the timeline branch, but selectively prune the worst of the timelines if they want to be benevolent about it, or only prune Kang himself from the timeline so that he doesn't fuck shit up the way he does, or whatever. And frankly, I'm really disappointed in Sylvie for not being more creative. She just wants Kang to suffer for fucking up her life, right? Well, has she ever heard of torture? I guess the implication is that Kang only dies because he allowed her to kill him and even with the TVA she couldn't overpower him, but it's not like she knows/believes that.

I just find it fairly disappointing that both of them unquestioningly bought into Kang's dilemma so easily. They doubted in the sense that they thought he was lying, but they never bothered to question doing something else with him and not playing his game.

So yeah, the real correct choices was something other than what Kang was presenting, but whats particularly dumb about it is that under Kang's logic, if Sylvie does kill him, all that it will really happen is that his variants will come and wage war. But his assumption is that he will effectively be reborn eventually and win them all and reconquer the multiverse and recreate the TVA, so he's not even really inviting Sylvie to kill her, but just hit a reset button that will put him back in the same place.

So in the midst of being given a shitty choice manufactured by him, on top of that, she doesn't even really get to kill him!

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't you just like murder all of the he who remains

I mean I think this is one of the options Loki would have been thinking about. Take over and try to find a third option. Scale down the TVA to a strictly "Hunt Kang Variants" thing while allowing free will for everyone else as much as possible or something.

All of the options are shitty; but she flat out doomed billions multiplied by countless universes... Thats not.... Like What in the hell?

Its good for the movies of course; but when thinking about it practically, I feel she should have at least thought about it longer than she did; even if she came to the same conclusion in the end.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to prevent Kang, the answer is to go way way back to just after the big bang and divert the mote of dust that would eventually become Earth.

Dec 12, 2017
After taking his time device, she could have literally cuffed him and then gone public and let the universe decide what to do, but perhaps Marvel fans aren't ready for a courtroom drama.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
She did the right thing for cool future Marvel stories, but probably the wrong thing for universal stability.

I'm with Loki on this one. But I'm glad the MCU has opened itself to multiverse shenanigans.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
If it was my life and my choice to make then and there, I would have left HWR as-is because no one knew they didn't have free will and things seemed safer that way.
Taking Sylvie's choice will make life hard for countless people.

If actual reality and we knew we didn't have free will, perhaps the destruction of the universe would be worth the risk.

No matter; all said and done - we're gonna get some cool multiverse stuff happening and it's gonna be cool.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Hmm, was killing the guy who has murdered endless amounts of people and enslaved an entire universe the right thing to do? I'm gonna say yeah.

You end up in the same place either way but not there are multiple versions of him that are doing the same thing. And if it weren't a superhero show, you'd just end up eventually losing.

Basically, she would have realistically doomed the timeline she's currently in and it'll all end up at a similar place anyway or a worse place.

Best thing to do was to take over for Kang rather than kill him and leave the throne empty.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I can see why she did it.
Probably would have done the same if I was in her position.
It was a terrible decision.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So, if you take over, you'll maintain the "peace" that the universe has been going through, sure, you "prune" variants, but the alternative means unleashing an infinite number of psychopaths who can control time itself and are hellbent on conquering/destroying all life on all universes, well gee, personally, fuck free will, I want to live

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Since her decision involved not even considering enchanting him (granted, no one else in the room brought it up either, including the guy with the biggest stake in remaining alive), uh... no.

Probably the single biggest writing goof of the show there, to have this ability be pivotal to several moments up to and including the climax of the very previous episode, and then not address it at all in this final confrontation where it has a glaringly apparent utility.

Last edited:

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, my takeaway from the episode was that Sylvie is really dumb.

HWR reveals 3 major lies in just that one confrontation. That there were never Timekeepers, that he orchestrated their whole journey, and that he lied about the end of his knowledge.

That's on top of killing her family, destroying her reality, and having her hunted for hundreds/thousands of years forcing her to take refuge in apocalypses which means up through that point literally everyone she ever met or spoke to probably died.

He was incredibly untrustworthy and absolutely a monster, it's just that he was a monster to all realities except one. It was a miracle that Sylvie ever even STOPPED trying to kill him.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since her decision involved not even considering enchanting him (granted, no one else in the room brought it up either, including the guy with the biggest stake in remaining alive), uh... no.

Probanly the single biggest writing goof of the show there, to have this ability be pivotal to several moments up to and including the climax of the very previous episode, and then not address it at all in this final confrontation where it has a glaringly apparent utility.

If it didn't work on Loki's mind I very much doubt it would have worked on HWR, though they could have spared a second of her at least trying or a line explaining that it wouldn't work.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
i mean he says he's a good kang.... but he's a genocidal maniac.... who's to say he isnt really bad, and that maybe there are actually some better kangs out there that can come up with better solutions.

#TeamSylvie

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
HWR reveals 3 major lies in just that one confrontation. That there were never Timekeepers, that he orchestrated their whole journey, and that he lied about the end of his knowledge.

That's on top of killing her family, destroying her reality, and having her hunted for hundreds/thousands of years forcing her to take refuge in apocalypses which means up through that point literally everyone she ever met or spoke to probably died.

He was incredibly untrustworthy and absolutely a monster, it's just that he was a monster to all realities except one. It was a miracle that Sylvie ever even STOPPED trying to kill him.

Loki was the only talking sense in that room. I'm not saying I don't understand her but it's really stupidity driven by emotion. If she was going to kill him then you may as well as replaced him rather than leaving a vacuum there

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Her motives in that moment were selfish and emotionally driven, but, uhh, yeah, absolutely kill the obviously evil spacetime dictator and sort out the consequences later.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Her motives in that moment were selfish and emotionally driven, but, uhh, yeah, absolutely kill the obviously evil spacetime dictator and sort out the consequences later.

When you put it like that, all I can think about what the US did in the Iraq War and how they made things even worse for everybody because they decided to sort out the consequences later.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
When you put it like that, all I can think about what the US did in the Iraq War and how they made things even worse for everybody because they decided to sort out the consequences later.

The well problem there of course is that they never bothered sorting out any consequences because the US government has notoriously bad writers. Some say they're also responsible for all the recent Star Treks.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
If Kang has already pruned/killed all the other Kangs, how does killing him "at the end of time" bring them back?
I mean, we had their excuse for solving the grandfather paradox (you create a branch where you were never born, but you continue to exist on your branch). That works fine.
But now they want us to accept that if I die after killing my grandfather, he will somehow come back to life.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
If Kang has already pruned/killed all the other Kangs, how does killing him "at the end of time" bring them back?
I mean, we had their excuse for solving the grandfather paradox (you create a branch where you were never born, but you continue to exist on your branch). That works fine.
But now they want us to accept that if I die after killing my grandfather, he will somehow come back to life.

His death means that retroactively nothing gets pruned, or at least not in the same way, thus allowing events to transpire away from the sacred timeline. What you did to your grandfather doesn't matter, because you're not the super god at the end of time whose existence keeps everything in all universes happening the same way.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Not only was it the right choice because of all the pain and suffering he'd caused but also why would you believe anything he says? Even once they'd found his hiding place he tried to get the clock to make them an offer to go away, that doesn't sound like someone who really knows everything...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My wife made what I thought was a good point - if they kept things as-is, restricting free wheel for the sake of peace that sounds terrible. But only Loki/Slyvie would need to know. Most of the actual populations of worlds wouldn't actually realise they don't have free wheel so for most people life would go on as normal. So in some respects Sylvie's decision can be seen as a selfish one as she doesn't want that knowledge on behalf of others - not necessarily a selfless one about wishing free will for everyone

I'd adjust the pruning to try and put people in places other than the void though

My personal view is she was right

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why she did it but I wish she and Loki had mulled it over a little more. If the main issue is that another Kang will come and destroy things, the third option seems to be ruling over the TVA and 'only' resetting timelines that get evil Kangs in them. Like, if he's born on Earth, any timeline without Earth is fine.

Realistically the universe doesn't need 'any' Kangs, so you could also simplify it and just find his original ancestor, have a sacred timeline until they show up, kill them, and then let multiverse chaos come right after.

As a bonus, taking a third option and solving the problem in a better way would probably humiliate Kang if you let him live long enough to see it.

infinite multiverses, infinite Kangs, even if they're not called Kang. You remove all of him you'll still have someone come along and do the same thing

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Consider the lifespan of a Loki - similar to an Asgardian. This means that Sylvie had spent perhaps 2000 years after escaping the TVA as a child, on the run, living in disasters. Basically every person she ever talked to or got to know as an adult was a doomed victim about to die. While she is capable of acting calm and rational, she must be suffering from inconceivable PTSD.

Anything that sets her off would summon all that hatred and rage, so there's probably no way she couldn't have killed HWR. He was the personal representative of her torment.

Exactly this, she spent centuries on the run, plotting her revenge. It would be a total ass pull if she didn't kill him. I'm surprised that not everybody gets it.
Not disagreeing on your point but technically Loki was just over 1000 years old and Sylvie could have been any age
IIRC she said in the last episode that she was on the run from TVA before Loki even existed, which suggest she's considerably older than him.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
He Who Remains had a body count that was absolutely incalculable. Keeping the TVA running indefinitely meant feeding whole realities to a giant cloud monster... forever.

Sure he was preventing something really bad from happening... but I have a hard time seeing a multiversal war killing more than a perpetual TVA would.

A multiversal war literally lead to him feeding countless realities to a cloud monster. That's all that's going to happen again and based on the ending of Season 2 where Loki is now in ANOTHER TVA with a huge Kang statue I assume it's already happened. An infinite number of kangs are going to destroy an infinite number of realities until someone works out how to stop him and I think until we get someone like Reed Richards involved it's not going to happen.

Sylvie should've kept him alive and they could've both used his knowledge of himself to prevent this from happening, killing him solves nothing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A multiversal war literally lead to him feeding countless realities to a cloud monster. That's all that's going to happen again and based on the ending of Season 2 where Loki is now in ANOTHER TVA with a huge Kang statue I assume it's already happened. An infinite number of kangs are going to destroy an infinite number of realities until someone works out how to stop him and I think until we get someone like Reed Richards involved it's not going to happen.

Sylvie should've kept him alive and they could've both used his knowledge of himself to prevent this from happening, killing him solves nothing.

The problem here is you're taking Kang at his word, even though he is likely the most vile, cruel and evil of all the Kangs. Just because he got bored of killing a practically infinite number of people doesn't make him any less horrific.

Ultimately he's the only Kang that weaponised Alioth, even though he obviously wasn't the only Kang that considered it. There's no doubt that entire universes were wiped off the map by the Kangs fighting each other, but only one of those Kangs destroyed basically all but a few thousand universes out of a fundamentally infinite multiverse. That makes him the worst Kang of them all.

For all we know, he was the Kang that started the multiversal war while all the other Kangs were happily collaborating and bettering their universes.