• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with it being $60?

• Yes

Votes: 1,248 47.9%
  • No, so I'm not buying it

Votes: 744 28.5%
  • No but I'm still buying it

Votes: 615 23.6%

• Total voters

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I'd have got it at launch if it came bundled with the Amiibo at that price.

I'll still get it... but I won't be rushing (I might shove it down as a Christmas gift idea).

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Was a joke about the price
Oh, well I'm not good at jokes and sarcasm.
Whatever, people can set their price limit is for their purchases.
I played the game on GB so, I'm not paying a AAA price for a remake/remaster.
If at least was full handdrawn.... But in a world where games like Hollow Knight or other Indies cost 15 or 20 bucks.... If this wasn't named Zelda it could easily pass for a expensive indie.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
60 dollars for basically a retro remaster? Nooope! There's a lot of other newer games that take precedence.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Was a joke about the price
If at least was full handdrawn.... But in a world where games like Hollow Knight or other Indies cost 15 or 20 bucks.... If this wasn't named Zelda it could easily pass for a expensive indie.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I paid 40€ for SotC, Crash and Spyro, so no. I'll probably buy it used for 30/40€.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I haven't bought physical in years, for this I will though because I refuse to drop $60 on this. Nintendo is out of control with their prices.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the original and I would like to get this game but not at $60. This is a good $40 game.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're apparently bad at guessing, since this isn't the equivalent at all. The original of LA was the opposite of HD, and the OST of the original LA was a low budget sound track (both compared to both The Lion King's OSTs and the LA remake OST).
You can play it in HD on the 3DS, and the soundtrack is great despite the budget.

There's a lot of people in this thread just shouting out budgets and man hours lmao. Do you guys do this to justify like... EA Madden games too?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I was surprised to see that it's 60$, I was kinda under the assumption that it'd be 40. But I bought it anyway, cause I can't help myself with Zelda stuff.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was surprised to see that it's 60$, I was kinda under the assumption that it'd be 40. But I bought it anyway, cause I can't help myself with Zelda stuff.

Lol why are you surprised... new super Mario Bros U a 6 year old 2D game got ported to switch early this year with nothing really added, already sold over 4 million units rereleasing at $60. Same with a lot of old Wii u ports which also Rereleased at $60. Nintendo knows these games will sell millions to their userbase, it's that consumers trust that they built with these loving franchises.

Anyway I also seen people criticize that top down/ 2d games shouldn't be $60 which is interesting but I guess only Nintendo can get away with it, again cause of that decades of trust with quality they built with their fans with certain franchises ofcourse

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How extensive is this dungeon maker? Can you share your dungeons online?
I believe that you basically can only reshuffle existing rooms, so it's less of a dungeon maker and more of a custom challenge run. They haven't said anything about sharing them AFAIK, but you could probably do it with a code easily since the mode is so simple.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I believe that you basically can only reshuffle existing rooms, so it's less of a dungeon maker and more of a custom challenge run. They haven't said anything about sharing them AFAIK, but you could probably do it with a code easily since the mode is so simple.
Okay, thanks. I googled it, but it didn't seem like there was much information on the mode. Maybe it's a test run for a full fledged Zelda Maker game? Not sure how that would work though.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with the price, I never played the original, which everyone seems to rate very highly and it looks amazing!

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me start off with I'd buy games if the regular price was $100 a pop.

With that, it's not like they just uprezzed the old game. They basically made a while new game and added a dungeon creator mode. While not a Mario Maker, it still additional resources. That takes time and resources. Nothing wrong with recouping those costs and making a profit.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's weird to me that people insist on breaking this stuff down into man hours and resources in order to justify spending $60 on a near-exact remake that will probably not be as good as a $4 game.

like at least I can see the arguments for something like Majora's Mask 3D even though I didn't buy that one either

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's weird to me that people insist on breaking this stuff down into man hours and resources in order to justify spending $60 on a near-exact remake that will probably not be as good as a $4 game.

like at least I can see the arguments for something like Majora's Mask 3D even though I didn't buy that one either
It's absolutely bizarre that one would come to the conclusion that this remake will not be as good as a $4 game.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like most publishers would price a game of that scope at 40 dollars but Nintendo isn't most publishers.

I'll still get it the day it comes out. It's Zelda.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm surprised it took 10 full pages to get to Belda-posting. Back in my day that would have been halfway down page one.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I think $60 is a fair price if it offers a good amount of entertainment. Personally, i wont buy it though, at least not at launch. Not because of the price, but because i dont own a Switch and i didnt really play the original, so i dont have much sentimental value connected to the game (i do remember when it came out back in the days though, so i'm a bit nostalgic just about that :)). I was thinking about getting the collector's edition just to have as a collector's item and keeping it unopened, but i dropped that idea.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It's as HD as you're gonna get, it's pixel perfect.
HD is defined as resolutions from 1280x720 to 1920x1080. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with this statement, other than the fact that the resolution is... unchanged from the original? Not exactly a selling point if you're looking for an improved version.

Your argument seems to hinge on preferring the old look, which doesn't seem to be a common sentiment. Fans have been begging for pretty much this exact package for years; if you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't change the masses that are willing to pay for overhauled visuals, sound, and controls that aren't claustrophobic.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting for the DF analysis. Tired of Switch games with shitty framerates and no anti-aliasing.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I firmly believe that games should have a price increase, because development time and cost has severely increased in the last 10 years, yet the prince have not. I worked in the videogame industry for 4 years, I know its hard for a lot of folks in the industry (not for me, it was a breeze because I was just a graphic designer inside pf the company), and I feel like they deserve it.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HD is defined as resolutions from 1280x720 to 1920x1080. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with this statement, other than the fact that the resolution is... unchanged from the original? Not exactly a selling point if you're looking for an improved version.

Your argument seems to hinge on preferring the old look, which doesn't seem to be a common sentiment. Fans have been begging for pretty much this exact package for years; if you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't change the masses that are willing to pay for overhauled visuals, sound, and controls that aren't claustrophobic.
It's in high definition, it couldn't be any clearer. The old game used to have to be played on blurry gameboy screens, now you have it in perfect quality.

And again the same thing but arguably worse isn't worth $60 to a lot of people, that's why this thread exists.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm surprised it took 10 full pages to get to Belda-posting. Back in my day that would have been halfway down page one.
What is Belda posting? Don't you agree that the game isn't in the same ballpark as other productions like Botw or Odissey?
I remember when people complained about price of some Vita games because 'handheld' games could cost as much as home console ones, even if production was clear closer to home console games than the typical portable game

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about getting it. I had Link's Awakening on the original Game Boy, but my child self could never figure out wtf was going on lol. As far as price goes, I'm full physical on Switch so I can get it cheaper than 60 bucks.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

What $4 game?

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Should not be more than £30 at launch. If i had played this on the game boy then i doubt i would have preordered this. I have been waiting for a game on the switch that i actually want to play for ages, so even though this is expensive i will be getting it. I don't agree with the price of nintendo switch games in general, but it keeps the perception of quality of nintendo games, so is necessary imo.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
What is Belda posting? Don't you agree that the game isn't in the same ballpark as other productions like Botw or Odissey?
I remember when people complained about price of some Vita games because 'handheld' games could cost as much as home console ones, even if production was clear closer to home console games than the typical portable game
It's the old snowclone post of "if it were called Blegend of Belda by Bintendo it would have gotten a 4/10 AT MOST" that BotW-detractors couldn't help themselves from posting in every thread for the first 6 months of that game's release. It's even older than that, but that was the peak.

And no I don't agree that being top-down means it's automaticlaly worth less than Breath of the Wild or Odyssey. I'm glad the majority doesn't either, since one of my greatest fears of the Switch was that it would destroy the market for the handheld-style games that I always loved just as much as the full console experiences. For a while I was worried that ALBW would be the last 2D Zelda ever and I'm so glad that doesn't seem to be the case.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remember when square released an expensive secret of mana remake that didn't look very good and a year later they just re-released the actual good version despite all the man hours that went into the remake

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Based off how strong the original game is, I think $60 is perfectly justified for the quality of the game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
remember when square released an expensive secret of mana remake that didn't look very good and a year later they just re-released the actual good version despite all the man hours that went into the remake
I'm still waiting for Wind Waker with actually GOOD graphics like Ocarina of Time.

Nintendo has crossed us real mature gamers for the last time.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Link's Awakening is one of my favorite games of all-time, but I've played it many times so I'm going to wait and see if they added anything besides the dungeon maker stuff (and how extensive that is). I like the new art style, but it's not like the original was ugly - it has a lot of retro charm.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
You're joking but I wish they didn't ruin the visuals for Wind Waker HD. Maybe the Zelda B team needs a creative lead shakeup lol
Genuinely though, I actually think the new LA is the best looking Zelda game after BotW. I love the new aesthetic. I can totally understand though why someone who likes the old game and doesn't love the new look wouldn't buy it though.

I already have the game I shouldn't have to pay for it again.
I have great news for you, you don't have to.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It's the old snowclone post of "if it were called Blegend of Belda by Bintendo it would have gotten a 4/10 AT MOST" that BotW-detractors couldn't help themselves from posting in every thread for the first 6 months of that game's release. It's even older than that, but that was the peak.

And no I don't agree that being top-down means it's automaticlaly worth less than Breath of the Wild or Odyssey. I'm glad the majority doesn't either, since one of my greatest fears of the Switch was that it would destroy the market for the handheld-style games that I always loved just as much as the full console experiences. For a while I was worried that ALBW would be the last 2D Zelda ever and I'm so glad that doesn't seem to be the case.
Well, every popular ip or developer has that extra hype most of the times positive, sometimes negative, that unknown ip or developers lack. It doesn't turn a 9/10 game into a 4/10 one but sure does help. Same for people awareness and desire , so publisher can charge more for it. If you cannot see that, that brand, ip, developer, has a direct impact in the product, what can i say?
Also being top down doesn't mean less enjoyment, but here is obvious that this doesn't cost the same to make as other games. Not only for its technical side, but also because it is a remake, so post of the work is already done.
I also really love old school Zelda like games, but you cannot compare the cost of doing this and a huge production, and as i said, there are a lot of indie games with great reach and cover for 20 bucks.
Nobody is saying that this should be 15€, but something in the 40€ take would suit it more, especially when we have several remasters already work that kind of pricing.
But Nintendo can do whatever they see fit, and customers can have our own opinion about value.