• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

do you?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
No. Just like the OP I loved the first 50 hours but after that it got less and less impressive. I have no problem with people looking online and finding a broken build to cheese everything but I felt like with this game you just incidentally stumble on methods to faceroll all the content. Yes you could always over level in other games but Elden Ring was just a cheesefest. You had to purposely not use things in order to make the game a challenge. I will never replay this.

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
Stopped playing after around 10hrs. The open world felt so barren and, not that interesting tbh.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
That's...just not true though. The only major failure points for quests are major story events or NPCs that are directly related to each other's quests. Namely
, killing Preceptor Rykard and lighting the Erdree aflame and some specific interactions between Ranni and her crew as well as between Boggart and the Dung Eater
. And for the most part NPCs progress through the game map alongside with you, as long as you're keeping up with them each step of the way. Compared to FromSoft's previous games, quest failure in ER is almost impossible.

just the bullshit come back and fort between millicent and gowry in the shack ensures like half the people wont complete that, lets see If I recall which NPCs lines I never completed:
Millicent stuck in prayer room after I killed Malenia , Patches *killed on sight (would have killed him anyway tbh), Nepheli, Kenneth, D brother? was that a line?, Corhyn, so close to completion, Alexander never bothered finishing as you need a map to know exactly where he is half his line, so no little jar, Dung Eater is a mess to complete, abd for Rannis people I missed like half the conversations and rewards and then started to drop like flies starting with Seluvis which locks out an useful charm. I don't like using guides but I don't think I would have gotten Bok good ending without one, or found Rya's hideout or completed Dialos...

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That's...just not true though. The only major failure points for quests are major story events or NPCs that are directly related to each other's quests. Namely:
killing Preceptor Rykard and lighting the Erdree aflame and some specific interactions between Ranni and her crew as well as between Boggart and the Dung Eater
And for the most part NPCs progress through the game map alongside with you, as long as you're keeping up with them each step of the way. Compared to FromSoft's previous games, quest failure in ER is almost impossible.
What you're saying may or may not be correct on its face, but the bigger issue is not whether you can "fail" them but whether or not you can even keep track of them or continue them without assistance. Most of the quests are nearly impossible without a guide because the NPCs end up in random places and likely will get there long after you've already been through a spot. This is all exacerbated by the shocking choice to not have a quest log in the game.

It is one thing to have the minimalist approach they went to in terms of wayfinding and UI, but that decision is inexcusable. If they wanted it to feel authentic, it could have even been like handwritten or something similar to Uncharted.. to not have anything is bad design.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Nah. Too much padding, awful performance on console & far too uneven overall. Bloodborne is the 97 From game.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's...just not true though. The only major failure points for quests are major story events or NPCs that are directly related to each other's quests. Namely:
killing Preceptor Rykard and lighting the Erdree aflame and some specific interactions between Ranni and her crew as well as between Boggart and the Dung Eater
And for the most part NPCs progress through the game map alongside with you, as long as you're keeping up with them each step of the way. Compared to FromSoft's previous games, quest failure in ER is almost impossible.
That's a huge stretch.
Heck, I failed
the jarburg questline simply by wacking by mistake at what I thought were enemies (pots, non npc) -what the game until now told me were ennemies-. Suddenly out of nowhere I hear 'you're breaking my heart', and poof. I read I missed an entire questline that was just added, just like that.
You also make light of it, but you can really screw yourself out majorly by doing Volcano Manor in order and tackling Rykard before finishing the quests there, as the invasion questline takes you way further than VC, up into one of the final areas.
There are also numerous quests you can miss simply by missing an npc out in the wild/ not talking to an npc at the right time.

Imo, the level / zone/ quest/ item progression in ER's open world is completely out of whack, leading to a ton of backtracking to zones previously visited, venturing forward to zones you have no business in, and often grinding to match weapon requirements that are way out of line with their location.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that's the... issue that gets more or less addressed by the other 140 hours of content. Give or take.
Arguable tbh, a lot of people prefer the legacy dungeon content far more than the open world. That's probably the one of the most critiqued part of the game alongside some of the bosses. But it's usually a critique from veteran souls fans

Oct 31, 2017
Arguable tbh, a lot of people prefer the legacy dungeon content far more than the open world. That's probably the one of the most critiqued part of the game alongside some of the bosses. But it's usually a critique from veteran souls fans
Yeah.
One I strongly disagree with.

And not because the legacy dungeons aren't the best part of the game (they are) but because the real magic happens precisely when the two parts (excellent tightly designed content and expansive open world that is extremely gratifying to discover and explore) combine ina seamless solution.

I genuinely don't care about the petty whine over a certain amount of "repeated content" in a game that still excels on offering so much UNIQUE one.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Games got technical issues and the back half suffers. It's great. But not that great.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah.
One I strongly disagree with.

And not because the legacy dungeons aren't the best part of the game (they are) but because the real magic happens precisely when the two parts (excellent tightly designed content and expansive open world that is extremely gratifying to discover and explore) combine ina seamless solution.

I genuinely don't care about the petty whine over a certain amount of "repeated content" in a game that still excels on offering so much UNIQUE one.

Agreed. Except the repeated content part which is a (non-petty) whine I'll lend my voice to. Not every repeated content is bad in this game, but a considerably part of the repeated content is bad.

But I will add this... combination of philosophies if you will happen more predominantly (not to say exclusively) in the first half of the game. Think of Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree which I believe is a good example of so called legacy dungeon is the late game. It's a very good area, superb even, yet it's completely divorced from the open world, to the point that you get there with a teleport. Very differently from Stormveil Castle in that regard.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Agreed. Except the repeated content part which is a (non-petty) whine I'll lend my voice to. Not every repeated content is bad in this game, but a considerably part of the repeated content is bad.

But I will add this... combination of philosophies if you will happen more predominantly (not to say exclusively) in the first half of the game. Think of Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree which I believe is a good example of so called legacy dungeon is the late game. It's a very good area, superb even, yet it's completely divorced from the open world, to the point that you get there with a teleport. Very differently from Stormveil Castle in that regard.

What? _ didn't you loved how organically, epic and grandiose the arrival to the Crumbling Farum Azula was? it was a masterpiece in storytelling and direction... "oh, btw now you are here!".

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I had far too many issues with the controls, jank, and general feel of the game to ever give it a 97 myself. Its a great game and I cant stress that enough but I also found it mind numbingly frustrating at times.

In other difficult games (Hollow Knight, Returnal), I can pinpoint exactly why I died, what I did wrong, and what I need to do to overcome it. For some reason, I didnt get that much in Elden Ring. I often felt like bosses would just destroy me with these odd attack patterns with difficult to pinpoint timings and delays where I would just get rocked in 15 seconds and be left with little to no feedback as to how I ended up that way. My strategy from beginning to end was to level up high enough so that I could rock them instead....and then bleed them with Redania. It worked. I beat the game 3 times and platinumed it...but it didnt really feel all that great.

That gameplay just didnt resonate with me in the ways that I wanted it to. I often see people say that, in Souls games, "death isnt a failure but a learning experience. It just means youre one step closer to succeeding" but I didnt get that. In something like Returnal, I was able to feel actual improvement in my abilities and beating a boss had me practically jumping from my chair. In Elden Ring, I wasnt even happy. I was just relieved that I could stop being frustrated and move on.

Controls and UI need work, too. I fumbled with things a lot. I still made mistakes after 150 hours. People defend these things to death and I dont get it. It just didnt feel good to play at times.

Atmosphere and level design are the best. I cant think of a game that does it better. I love the minimalistic story telling too. And the quirky shit. It rules. Thats the kind of stuff that kept me going.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Not really, probably the most overrated game for my tastes since Red Dead 2. I'd take Breath of the Wild over it for open world game anyday and Bloodborne if I'm craving for that From Software style action.
But honestly not the biggest fan of From Software's work anyway so these things are super subjective.. there's very few games in the top 30 metacritic list that are on my personal favourite games list.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I've never spent 140 hours finishing a game and then immediately started a new character until Elden Ring, so, yes.

This is me.

I went back to Demon Souls after as well, and...tried to be begin a new game plus and...no. It feels too slow and no jump button is just an issue. I really like the sense of weight and visuals in that game, and it feels more foreboding to play than ER...but it is just so much more limited. ER gives you so many options, and rewards you for the time you put in like few other games I've played. To me Elden Ring is like what I imagined Diablo might have evolved into all those years ago, particularly with all the weapons you can get.

Jun 24, 2019
Hell yeah! Rightfully deserved.

Sure I had my gripes and I don't consider the game to be flawless, but the open world exploration is one of the best there is!

Depending on the DLC, it could turn from being an "amazing game" to "Fromsoft's second Magnum Opus".

justplsnobullshitbosses