• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nah ffh Mysterio illusions were better than anything in that movie 🤷‍♂️. Spider verse was just eh to me
You can make valid arguments, I think, for Spider Man 2, IW, Endgame, Winter Solder, Dark Knight, and the Incredibles.

But FFH > Spider-Verse? That one is a hell of a take.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Yup it is for me, way better than anything out of the mcu imo. The writing just a cut above them, especially for telling a story not about perfect looking white man number #2343.
LIKE LOOK AT THIS SHIT:

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It's fun. However...It doesn't have any tension...nothing is at stake. It does have some of my favorite spidey suit designs. Gwen's suit was just great and I loved seeing it on the big screen. Miles' suit was also amazing. But the multiverse stuff kind of detracts Miles' story, and puts him in the backseat of his own damn movie. The stuff with him and his uncle was the best. Also too much licensed music for me. Beautiful movie though.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get it. I thought it was good, but ultimately forgettable. The constant effusive praise for it here is so confusing to me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
These Far From Home mentions make me wonder if there's some other Far From Home that I didn't see. I thought Far From Home was a thoroughly mediocre experience outside of that one illusions scene and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Spider-Verse is the best comic book superhero movie for me, but it's up there.

When you don't single out superheroes it becomes even more muddled, because then you're also counting stuff like Oldboy, Akira, Persepolis, Blue is the Warmest Colour, The Death of Stalin and Snowpiercer which is just on an entirely other level than most superhero stuff.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Into the spiderverse is also CGI bud. It has some hand drawn stuff but it's also a CGI film
That poster's not dissing CGI though. It's totally possible to love Spider-Verse for its visuals, but think that the Endgame end fight lacks punch because it's pretty much all computer generated.

I personally thought the best things in Endgame were in the first two acts. The ending is nice from a fanservice perspective, but it's nowhere near the best thing the movie does.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Endgames is the best live action superhero movie, while Spider-verse is the best animated movie.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm wrong then because in terms of live action Endgame and a few other movies are easily above it and in terms of animated movies Mask of the Phantasm is way, way better.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
That poster's not dissing CGI though. It's totally possible to love Spider-Verse for its visuals, but think that the Endgame end fight lacks punch because it's pretty much all computer generated.

I personally thought the best things in Endgame were in the first two acts. The ending is nice from a fanservice perspective, but it's nowhere near the best thing the movie does.

"CGI snooze fest"

Sure thing bud

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Infinity War and Endgame would have been thought impossible just a decade ago.
As good as Spideyverse is, WB have been making amazing comic book cartoons since the 90s.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These Far From Home mentions make me wonder if there's some other Far From Home that I didn't see. I thought Far From Home was a thoroughly mediocre experience outside of that one illusions scene and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance.
I like you!

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Its solid, but not quite in my top 5.

Also, thread titles like this should be bannable. I post on another forum where this type of titling pretty much became standard and it annoyed me so much I stopped posting there.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I feel pretty much the same way about Spiderverse. For the life of me I can't find out what people find so special about this movie outside the Prowler chase scene.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
in almost 35 years I haven seen my favorite movie 8 times yet. :D

and I doubt that the makers did the 12 frames/24 frames thing on purpose, did they?

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Obv I agree but I still need to watch far from home. I REALLY don't see that topping spider verse though.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Endgame is the conclusion of a 10 year story arc, there's just certain things that have to happen in order to wrap things up and I guess some long overdue fan service is one of them.

To each their own but you couldn't wrap up something like this any better in a film.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It's a great film and easily the best animated feature of 2018. But no, it's not the best comic book movie, Batman Begins, TDK, Logan, Infinity War/Endgame are more deserving in my opinion. Spiderverse definitely nailed comic book page turned to screen feel better than any live-action film, but that's expected from the animation.

There's also a couple of DC's DTV animated films that I think are more interesting than Spiderverse (TDKR, Under the Red Hood, Flashpoint Paradox) but it seems conversations like that are always revolving around theatrical releases.

EDIT: Always forget that V for Vendetta and Sin City are adaptations of comic books, so, Spideverse wouldn't make it in my top 5 tbh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably yes
Batman Begins is really good, TDK is good but last act drags, Logan's last act is mediocre. Endgame and IW are up there but only work together so I wouldn't count them either.

Oct 26, 2017
It's fun. However...It doesn't have any tension...nothing is at stake. It does have some of my favorite spidey suit designs. Gwen's suit was just great and I loved seeing it on the big screen. Miles' suit was also amazing. But the multiverse stuff kind of detracts Miles' story, and puts him in the backseat of his own damn movie. The stuff with him and his uncle was the best. Also too much licensed music for me. Beautiful movie though.
Miles relationship with his dad. His feeling like an outsider at school. Him finding who Prowler is. Peter and the rest of the Spider people potentially dying due to them being in the wrong dimension. There's both tension and stakes throughout the film.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I would be interested in reading your thoughts on FFH vs ITSV.
FFH is a decent enough movie, but it has a lot wrong with it.

There's an absolute avalanche of "wacky coincidence causing problems" lazy sitcom-level writing, from being "caught while changing" (lock the door, you idiots), to accidentally ordering a drone strike against a classmate (and then giving him a concussion?), to saying a forced, completely unnatural sentence that causes a massive shift in the MCU as a whole.

The portrayal Tom Holland does is decent enough, but there's absolutely none of the wisecracking Spider-Man from the comic-books to be found. The action (minus the illusion scene, which could barely be qualified as action) isn't very inventive, the pacing is odd, the Flash subplot is meaningless, and there's humor that just feels juvenile and dumb ("Night Monkey" and "Spider Tingle" come to mind).

I did actually like the movie for the most part, but compared to ITSV, a masterclass in almost every area of filmmaking, I just have trouble seeing what the heck people are seeing in FFH. To me, it's not even remotely close.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
it's the greatest comic-book animated movie no doubt..

but greatest comic-book movie overall............?

eh....my answer is no.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's up there for sure.

Batman Begins is better.

not really...like every nolan movie, the movie went downhill when it reached the final act with the villain enacting an (over)elaborate plot to destroy the city followed by the (supposedly to be) OMGWTFBBQ revelation (Ducard being Ra's, the joker being 'wrong' about humanity, Talia's identity) that is more eyerolling than clever. The build up is great no doubt. But the plans of final act of all 3 dark knight movie is some plain'ol BS (spreading fear gas on gotham, putting 2 bombs on 2 ships, and whatever the fuck that Bane's plannng that allows Batman to teleport via deus ex machina)

But to each his own.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think Miles' story gets lost amongst the multi-universal character shenanigans. There are dramatic beats that just don't get their time to breathe.

A movie just about Miles, Peter and Gwen that left the expanded Spider-Verse to a sequel would've had a better shot at being my favorite, I think.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
FFH is a decent enough movie, but it has a lot wrong with it.

I'd put your post in spoilers just to be on the safe side. I actually agree with most of the things you pointed out. However, I consider those elements window dressing for the actual emotional core of the movie, which in my opinion is

Peter being granted great power, even greater than he already had, and really struggling with the great responsibility that comes with it. It's a very compelling situation to explore.

So I agree that sometimes the movie feels like it's rehashing tired teenage movie tropes, which is why I can't wait for the adult phase of Peter's life. But at the same time there's some depth beneath the surface that works really well with the events of the rest of the MCU.

Oct 27, 2017
The hype for Spiderverse really over sold me on how good it would be. I need to see it again to judge it better.

But people should probably stop over hyping things they like. It screws up expectations and makes me unable to enjoy the film first time through without thinking about "is this why everyone likes this, is it this part or this part or this next bit".

As I said, I'll watch it again. But right now I liked it, didn't love it.