• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Never. Regardless of how someone may feel about a game, people have worked hard to get it to release, usually dealing with situations beyond their control.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want every game to be great, so no. There are games that review very highly that I find to be mediocre at best - I wish there was a way for those to receive serious critical feedback but still keep the employees staffed.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, absolutely not.

People need to stop feeling elation when a game succeeds, IMO. Its the more damaging reaction. Like, as a consumer, the only thing we really need to concern ourselves with is if the game is enjoyable or not. Theres a thread in ERA right now, "Are you worried about Sekiro" but not a single person is talking about being worried that the game might not be enjoyable. Every damn person is talking about worrying that the marketing budget is too low, or the lack of PVP might hurt sales, or its not the right time to launch a new IP

Holy lord, yall are not junior executives at From Software, what do you give a ding dong diddly crap about any of that? Lets just worry about it being enjoyable first and foremost.
Usually because we know that if a game succeeds or fails determines the future of either the IP or the types of games the publisher/developer concentrates on. Like for instance, if your part of the xenoblade fandom you were immensely happy for monolifthsoft getting over a million(and may possibly get over 2 million) because it guarantees good things for them. Now not only is there a new xenoblade in the works but now monolifthsoft is making a new IP aswell and they are also expanding

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Not for any game in particular, but I will admit I got some schadenfreude at the initial backlash and sluggish sales of both the PS3 and Xbox One after the bullshit Sony and Microsoft respectively tried to push through with them.

$599 PS3 with the "if you really want it you'll have to get a second job" quotes, the fucking nonsense with MS trying to eliminate used games.

Fortunately in both instances they course-corrected and built them into respectable consoles, but like jesus, what were they thinking?

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Usually because we know that if a game succeeds or fails determines the future of either the IP or the types of games the publisher/developer concentrates on. Like for instance, if your part of the xenoblade fandom you were immensely happy for monolifthsoft getting over a million(and may possibly get over 2 million) because it guarantees good things for them. Now not only is there a new xenoblade in the works but now monolifthsoft is making a new IP aswell and they are also expanding

I mean, I get it, it just feels like thats all people are posting about on ERA these days and Im a bit salty is all.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
No, just disappointment or feeling bad for the devs who most likely had the best intentions/had some control taken out of their hands.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the way they were affected from other m flopping is realizing what people want from metroid.

You sure that's what did it?

220px-MetroidPrimeFederationForceBoxartNorthAmerica.png

On topic, more times than I care to admit, it's probably not a good mindset to have, but I love watching a good train wreck. I'm probably a terrible person.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
ill admit of this to an extent with Fallout 76. I couldnt help but find it amusing watching this trend-chasing game that no one wanted blow up in their face after their "saveplayer1" bs. I feel for the people who spent 3 years of their lives working hard to make it the best it can possibly be, and i dont want anyone to be hit with layoffs or anything. I'm rooting for them to get back on track with Starfield, BGS used to be one of my favorite devs after all. My feelings are just directed at the execs who clearly didnt understand what their fanbase wants

other than this, no

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
No I've never gotten joy out of it. I have had some pretty brutal "well what else did you expect when your doing that" for a lot of games though.

mouzone

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, Fallout 76. Bethesda finally crashing and burning after deliberately shitting all over an established franchise.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I root for games I like to hit it big and don't really care what the games I don't like do. As I want more games I like to be made. Besides that the rest could go bankrupt or make trillions for all I care. Companies rise and fall all the time in this industry.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Oh absolutely, I'm no saint son.

I of course feel bad for the developers but if that means I get to see those people in suit suffer then it's kinda worth it, Battlefront II was a good example.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Too Human, and those mobile games that straight up ripped off assets from existing games. They lost some lawsuit or something. I openly celebrated both of those. Zero fucks given. There was also some Dragon game on mobile that launched with ridiculous wait walls and microtransactions that were insane. Maybe Dragon Age? Cant recall But it was insane.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Yep, I lack any empathy for most things in life beside people i like and love.

In that case, I enjoy watching EA suffer and can't wait to see more fuck up those cunts running the joint.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
No, however I do feel a bit of schadenfreude when a game title exceeds expectations and/or defies online hate mobs hoping for its failure. Such as witnessing a bunch of folks wishing ill on titles like Metro Exodus, only to see the game succeed as never before (ex: manufactured panic led to Metro hitting the Top Selling list on Steam on final day of sale).

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I dont want any game to do badly, but the reality is most will. Still no need to take enjoyment from that. That said when a dev or publisher who uses shitty monetization tactics doesn't get the income they want, I hope it can at least change their outlook for their next release.

But I dont get a lot of the weird sales figures obsessions that many VG fans have. The tired excuse of 'I need to track its worldwide sales numbers, in the hope it gets a sequel ' , is pretty lame. Not having a dig at the people who discuss the figures properly with data etc, but most people are just in these threads to get internet "wins" over other groups of people.

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
There was almost something relating to sexual pleasure watching ME Andromeda fail so miserably after launch. Same with Fallout 76.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm not proud that I felt it for Metroid Prime Federation Force because people have in retrospect said it is a fairly good game. But I hated the direction it was taking one of my favorite franchises and I was happy to see it crash and burn. Again not proud, but that's how I felt.

But I am not ashamed at all to say I still feel it when some anti-consumer loot-box laden, pay to win game gets slapped down. The Pay-to-win Dungeon Keeper is a good example of a fantastic series poisoned by a manipulative scheme to make the game unbearable to play without paying large amounts of money to avoid playing the actual game. When it's didn't take off, I was elated.

I feel happy that Belgium banned loot boxes.

I am glad Fallout 76 didn't get away with charging people $20 for in-game paint.

I feel joy when Microsoft had to backpedal because they tried to force always online/no used games/etc.

I only feel happy at failure now when it feels like karma.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, in select cases. As mentioned hear seeing 76 fall flat on its face is approrpriate. As a long time Valve fan, seeing Artifact do abysmally brings me great pleasure.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, sort of, I guess, if the developers actively went against what fans wanted trying to chase the latest trend, but I'm not happy when people lose their jobs over it of course. Games like The Culling 2 or Fallout 76 are definitely in the "you shouldn't have bothered making this game, now go back to basics" situation where the failure of the game (hopefully) opened the devs' eyes on what is it people want from them.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I couldn't *stop* laughing at how Mighty #9 did. I guess that'll teach people to not back a game out of spite, especially if it has Inafune's name on it.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I was happy to see Street Fighter X Tekken fail because it had some terrible design choices that could've affected the whole fighting games market if the game was successful. The game flopped and nobody (afaik) tried to sell gems again.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Only once, and that was watching Black Desert Online's steam review score plummet after they kept adding more and more pay to win shit to the game. I keep hoping more and more people will leave so that the developers have to relaunch the game or something and remove all the grimy shit from the cash shop.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
There was almost something relating to sexual pleasure watching ME Andromeda fail so miserably after launch. Same with Fallout 76.
I think it has a lot to do with the way the internet is structured - it is just too easy and fun to celebrate collosal failure, especially when it is visual - and because of the way the publishers went about with these games.

I have a lot of things to say about Nintendo cancelling the new metroid and giving it to Retro, but hell, they at least did not try and sell it at full price and essentially ride on brand name alone for something that is buggy, clumsy or downright broken.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the way they were affected from other m flopping is realizing what people want from metroid.

Most employees are just people with jobs who don't get a creative say

Federation force took 6 years to make?!?! That by itself is shocking

IIRC it was planned to be a DSi game and it kept getting put on hold. It was just unfortunate timing that they put it out during a Metroid drought

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Nope. The whole notion of wanting a game to be bad ot to fail is just weird to me.

Like Crackdown 3 or Days Gone or Anthem. The interent seems full of people desperate for these games to fail. Whether its a fanboy wanting a game to fail on a rival platform to someone upset over a companies business practises.

At the end of the day I love games and want them ALL to be great.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping that Hatred (mass shooter simulator from far-right devs) would fail but annoying it became a steam best seller.
I think overt shitty politics/ideology in a game is the only thing that would make me want it to fail.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Nah not really. Even scummy DLC or loot boxes don't get me all that worked out anymore.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
In certain circumstances, definitely yes. To be clear I never want a team to go under, or for people to lose their jobs, but games like F76 deserve to fail and companies who release things at that level of quality deserve to feel the effects of it's failure, and be told that people won't put up with it.

Some of you really need to get of your high horses, man. You can't honestly say you want every game to succeed. What about Shadow of War at launch? Or more recently Ubi's Odyssey blunder. These things need to fail(or be swiftly changed) to prevent similar practices occurring in the future.

Otherwise if it's just a game I have no interest in, then no, that's just wasted energy. I do get tired of hearing about things, but not to the point I wish they'd fail. See: Smash bros., Fortnite.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I can't deny there's a little bit of pleasure there when companies are clearly trying to nickle and dime people for anything they can i.e. Battlefront 2. But that's more the publisher than the developer.

However, I feel sorry for the studios as they're clearly building the game the publisher wants them to build and, for the most part, doing the best they can. I certainly don't/wouldn't relish it when a studio goes under because a game hasn't done as well as expected.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, even if i despise a certain type of game, many other people love it, so it would be kind of childish to be glad that it failed or hoping for it to happen.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a line that may or may not cross there. I don't necessarily want any typical project to fail and have studios go under, but there's times where I don't agree with the direction, either conceptually or in practice, and want it to change or be abandoned.

Prime example is Battlefront 2. I don't want people at DICE or EA to suffer. There's no joy in observing the mess that came out of it. Yet at the same time it was a good thing that they were put on the spot over their lootbox economy in that game.

The one exception are things I view are harmful, like the concept behind Last Night. I wouldn't call it pleasure, but the world is better off without that Red Pill nonsense being propagated.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing how that can effect the developers who worked their behinds of to create it, it would never even cross my mind to feel happy about a game failing.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
No. I worked in a videogame company for 4 years and I can't wish for other companies to fail and struggle. I do think that some publishers/devs, need "lessons" from time to time. It mostly have to do with greed and/or complacency from them. Cases like EA and Battlefront 2 getting that backlash from their shady dealings, and Bathesda still using the same shitty engine with little to no optimization, and the half-assed game that was Fallout 76. Stuff like that.