• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
And I think this is everyone.
I genuinely wish I could be this blissfully ignorant.
One thing I greatly dislike about this place is how there is always one person looking for an angle to get on their high horse.
The fuck are you even on about? If you have something to say then reply to my original post.
The OP said "do you get joy from a game failing" and immediately we have paragraphs from people saying crap like but but but jobs and their emotions...people aren't talking about harassment or toxic behavior.
Okay but you have to be an ingrate to genuinely believe GGrs don't use gamer outrage and the angry internet mob as a means to harass devs and get them fired from their jobs. This absolutely happens so why on earth WOULDN'T we shed a light on it in the context of the OP's post?
"I wish Madden wouldn't sell anymore" doesn't mean they wish personal harm on the employees at Tiberon.
Talk about a fucking strawman. Literally who the fuck is saying this? You seem to have a habit of intentionally misconstruing arguments.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Even with games I knew would fail, like Federation Force, it still makes me sad. It's not like I wanted a bomb in my all-time favorite franchise.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
Occasionally, especially if I thought something was a terrible idea in the first place--or if it generates some silly/odd anecdotes. Like that whole thing with the Infinity blade in Fortnite not long ago. Or the Winter Royale fiasco. There were some funny stories that came out of that.

Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn't say I get pleasure from it, but I do have a strange interest in checking the communities of dieing games. Something about their self-reinforcing delusions really intrigues me. Whales pop out of the woodwork too. What drives a person to spend $2,000 on Orcs Must Die Unchained? I want to know.

The only thing I've really learned is that no matter how shitty something is, there will always be someone out there who will defend it.

I'm checking in on Artifact and Dreadnought these days.RIP Fractured Space.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There's some guilt to admit, but yeah I do - when it comes to what I perceive to be predatory practices that is (as others have mentioned, with full priced games + lootboxes like BF2 was supposed to be).
Unfortunately the reality is that the business leaders that pushed the stupid decisions end up being the least affected, so it's a hollow victory.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
No.

If you do, you're a Gamer® and you probably post Joker Rise up memes unironically on reddit.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it ultimately means dissuading Devs to make games most people never asked for *looks at fallout 76* which will hopefully stop any future crappy experiments ...sure. Lol

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get excited or happy to see a game fail. But at the same time I do want publishers and developers who do shady or shitty things with there games to have some sort of repercussion for those decisions.

I know it's usually not the little persons fault when big games fail, but I can't say I wasn't a little relieved to see Battlefront 2 fail because of it's god awful MTX pay to win nonsense. Or to see Fallout 76 struggle because Bethesda can't use a modern engine.

A job is a job, and if the company you work for is doing sketchy shit there is a chance you might pay the price for it. It sucks but that's how the world works.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Your fear that BOTW's success might change Nintendo's approach to the Zelda franchise, logical though they may seem on paper, is not reflected by how modern Nintendo has reacted to (most of) their massively successful games in recent years.

Like, do you remember what happened when New Super Mario Bros. DS and Wii achieved truly massive sales figures ten years ago?

Nintendo's reaction was to double down.
On 3D Mario. Because the creative powers that be at Nintendo saw 3D Mario as a haven for new gameplay expressions and ideas, as ways to grow the franchise and keep it fresh and new. These facets of 3D Mario held enough value at Nintendo to override the stunning fact that Galaxy 1 and 2, despite both games having debuted as the most critically acclaimed games of all time, did not sell as well combined as NSMB Wii did on its own. Indeed, Nintendo took

As long as Nintendo believes that there are still worthwhile experiences to be had with other styles of Zelda games, and an audience which desires those games, those games will still continue to be made.

*remembers F-Zero, Star Fox, Paper Mario, and 3D DK

...but I'll be praying for ya buddy, just in case

I really hope you end up being right, but I honestly don't see them going back in this case (because of a potentially big backlash from most fans) aside from remakes/remasters. In any case, I'm sure if they did a new traditional 3D Zelda they'd still bring over things from post-BotW Zelda like voice acting, which I really didn't like and don't want to see again in a new Zelda game (I'm actually worried that Nintendo may try to add VA to a Skyward Sword remaster, since that's my favorite one and I'd hate to skip it because of that).

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

I just stop checking out news for games I'm not interested in after around the initial reveal.

You won't see me in Kingdom Hearts of Battlefront threads, for example.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Developers get the brunt of the backlash surrounding their games based on decisions that are most likely out of their control. No more extensions, forced microtransactions and pay-to-win bullshit. And then you have excellent ideas from developers that are swiftly criticized only so "that" gamer populace can strike their own bigoted egos cause a gay person wanted some recognition in a game.

I don't envy the job at all, it's thankless and you basically do not exist to the people who purchase your product. I think we should do better to recognize actual game development issues and not confuse them with the capitalistic nature of the gaming industry.

Fallout 76 is not the product of widespread "developer incompetence" it is game rushed to retail because Bethesda (not BGS) did not have a major 2018 release, the idea was one that needed lots of time to develop and practice among the development team, and GaaS made it possible for them to launch a buggy piece of shit that can be patched up down the road. Given it was originally an expansion to Fallout 4, the scope changed dramatically originally they only had the online systems to worry about, but someone made the decision to turn into a full-fledged game and now you have to make an entire new world, with new quests and a story.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was glad BFII caused a backlash against shitty practices, but in an ideal world I would have preferred to see it be a great game that didn't try and fleece people with bullshit

I mean, I want every game to be good, even if it's not a game that appeals to me personally, so I don't cheer when games fail

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah I do this on some games. F76 was the most recent example. I don't see the harm in it. Me gaining personal pleasure that a shit game sells shitty isn't why it doesn't sell. It doesn't sell cuz it's shit.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Never for those who enjoy it, but when a developer or publisher goes off chasing trends ignoring who their fan base is, I think a hard lesson is the right answer.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
If the Metro Exodus-epic game store deal ends up being a bad bet for the publisher then I can't say that I'll feel particularly sad about it.

DmC, same with all the game journos that fell on their ass trying to defend it.

Yeah, DmC is a good one. The behavior from the devs and journos was pretty embarassing.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yes, I gladly admit it in fact. The truth is, I don't support every game that's releasing and I think it's okay to be honest about that. Some games hurt the industry whether they forward trends that misguide the mainstream into thinking gaming is represented by it or bad business ideas that the rest of the industry wants to compete with after Pandora's box has been opened.

Not every thing is great in the games industry just because it's a video game.

God of War is a lowkey case where I don't particularly care for the game but it's honestly fine, even great, but the public discourse and journalism around it is pushing agendas about the nature of video games that make me grind my teeth.

Mass Effect 3's ending was also a case where I fully endorsed the wave against the game (not harrassment just scrutiny and the fact that it angered everyone) and the reason it escalated imo was that because bad actors in the fandom started throwing shit for it, some journalists, Colin Moriarty in particular, knee jerked so hard that it almost single handedly spawned a strawman argument against the campaign that it was because "fans feel entitled to change an ending simply because they didn't like it." Shifting the focus away from scrutiny towards the storytelling, which was a focus of that series, and on towards the nature of fandom and discourse all while BioWare were putting NDAs and PR over themselves to never ever address any details of the ending publically to never confess that they simply messed up the continuity and conclusion to their own story. It deserved better, not because I'm whiny brat that demanded it, but because BioWare should've respected their own work better than this. After how great their previous work had been we all expected it, but with that game I had to accept that BioWare weren't those sci fi supergenius storytellers that 1 and 2 fooled me to believe.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No, never!

...Well, except for Battleborn. Or Fallout 76. Or Mighty No. 9. Or Federation Force. Or The Culling 2. Or the PlayStation Classic. Or Metal Gear Survive. Or pre-Spencer Xbox One. Or, honestly? Part of me wants Star Citizen to flop, mean as that sounds.

...Hmm.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not like "hahaha, I'm so glad it failed, fuck those people"

I feel bad for the people working on bad games, because it's still a lot of work. Also it's mostly upper management who fucks things up... but man, if it's a stinker and you could smell it coming for months or even years, it sure as hell can be fun to witness the whole thing burn to the ground.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only time I take joy in others pain is when they have done something to me or my family to hurt me.

When a game fails it hurts the employees, their families, support staff and contractors, investors, etc.

I can't even imagine having the emotional investment to feel anything more than disappointed when a game doesn't do well.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
allbadtruelies.gif

Games where beautiful game experiences like player engagement are used as nothing more than a cynical mechanism to shake money out of people, where the bean counters high five each other about conversion rates as the be all end all of their product, I'm happy to see burn. In my fantasy even the game designer will have mixed feelings when their work fails. Of course the times it happened are few and far between, but still.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
People are lying if they say they dont enjoy when corporations like EA get what they deserve. Sure it sucks for the actual developers and people working on the game... but dont pretend to feel bad for The CEOs when those games bomb. The corporate side of gaming is a fucking cesspool of greed and arrogance. Fuck em all.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad that Mass Effect Andromeda didn't do great so EA/Bioware weren't rewarded for that half-baked, poorly managed disappointment, but it still hurts that it means the Mass Effect series as a whole got put on hiatus. :(

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
To some degree, yeah, but you won't see me going into every single thread about a game I highly dislike gloating about shit or repeating how much I hate said game like an idiot, unlike other instances where I've seen that happen so often that it becomes quite embarrassing, people just don't know to let go.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Only if there is something very obviously shifty going on, such as stealing assets from other games. For a legitimately developed game, never. Any game failing will always have negative effects on some devs who are probably not to blame.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, when the game falls under a broad umbrella of dick moves committed by the company that produced it.

Battlefield 2 (Absurd MTX model), Fallout 76 (No excuse for the condition of the game at launch), Copy-Paste games that add nothing to the formula they took (90% of games on Android\iOS), etc.

I want these things to fail because I don't want to support the behavior or business attitudes that gave rise to them.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Never. I want all games to be great, and people's work to be valued.

Gaming is such a toxic community and mindset, people happy for seeing projects fail JFC

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not! That would be mean and I am morally flawless.

*cough*Fallout 76*cough*

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Absolutely and I believe any one who says they don't actually do. Of course it would be nice if every game was good but when one comes out that isn't, there is a certain sense of pleasure that comes from making fun of a company for their mistakes. Like I am a big fan of all the Fallout games and would have loved for 76 to be good but the disaster seems to be the most entertaining thing about the game.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe schadenfreude. For both Dead Space Extraction and Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles on the Wii. I was really impressed by Resident Evil 4's pointer control scheme and wanted to see it in action on a proper Dead Space/New Resident Evil. Instead I got light gun games and was happy when they missed expectations. Unfortunately instead of the lesson being, "Light gun games no" it was, "Wii games no." So everybody lost I guess.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
Nah, never.

Bit fucked up to in most cases considering a large number of games coming out nowadays is a collaboration between dozens of people. Game development is a difficult business and many people have put their livelihoods on the line to deliver a product. To have it fail and ridiculed must be a gut punch considering the amount of effort that goes into making a game. It's hard for me to not sympathise with that.

The mere fact that someone spent eight years working on a single game boggles my mind. That's 70080 hours. Imagine putting that much time into something only for it to fail. I honestly think publishers need to put the people behind the games in the forefront so gamers can come to the realization that there are actual humans behind the games they enjoy instead of just rebelling against a singular faceless corporate entity.

Seeing people elated at the fact that Telltale went under was really fucked up. Especially when you take into account that there was no severance pay meaning people went back to their families empty-handed.

post of the year right here, you are a rare reasonable person

Jan 20, 2019
I feel bad for a studio who puts 5 years on a game just to see it failing in front of theirs faces.
Games that are rushed deserve all the bad things they get.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
Not really games themselves but I'm always happy to see scummy practices fail because in the long run it hurts everyone including hard working developers behind those games.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never really "enjoy" seeing a game fail.

Games are the work of hundreds of hard-working people. It sucks to be a very talented animator or 3D modeler or texture artist or concept artist or audio mixer, to pour your talent into something amazing that's saddled with a bad overall package that ensures your work is never properly appreciated. Every bad game has someone on it that was at the top of their game, doing the best they possibly can, and even making amazing work... all undermined by glitches, bad game structure, or poor timing.

And I also learned this lesson in a very hard and embarrassing way. I studied game design in college. I wanted to make games. When the Star Wars Kinect game came out and everyone was making fun of it, I saw one of my game design buddies post a video about the game. I chimed in with a snide remark, commenting that the game was garbage and being ridiculed left and right... only to find out my buddy had been hired to work on the game, and what he posted was him being proud of the hundreds of hours he poured into the animation and graphical UI of the game, and I just crapped all over his work.

I STILL feel like dirt for that, and I've long since learned to direct my criticisms at the right people and to avoid throwing shade at the hundreds of awesome game devs out there working their butts off in the HOPE that the final product makes you happy.

Also, again, if my buddy is ever reading this... I'm still REAAALY sorry. Star Wars Kinect wasn't that bad, and your work on it was awesome.

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Dead Rising 4. Turns out if you don't listen to your core fans and listen to people who never had an interest in the series you're game might sell below expectations. Crazy i know

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Oh, absolutely. I love a good train wreck. It helps me feel better about my life.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
When I was younger (early 80's)? Yes. Now that I understand that a game failing effects real people's lives, not so much!
This. I'm not a big fan of the idea of people with mortgages to pay and kids in school that need to get fed having to hit the food bank line because a game underperformed, so I kind of wish all games did well enough to at least ensure everyone got their bonuses and stayed employed, but I know that's just an idealist fantasy world.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Nah, never.

Bit fucked up to in most cases considering a large number of games coming out nowadays is a collaboration between dozens of people. Game development is a difficult business and many people have put their livelihoods on the line to deliver a product. To have it fail and ridiculed must be a gut punch considering the amount of effort that goes into making a game. It's hard for me to not sympathise with that.

The mere fact that someone spent eight years working on a single game boggles my mind. That's 70080 hours. Imagine putting that much time into something only for it to fail. I honestly think publishers need to put the people behind the games in the forefront so gamers can come to the realization that there are actual humans behind the games they enjoy instead of just rebelling against a singular faceless corporate entity.

Seeing people elated at the fact that Telltale went under was really fucked up. Especially when you take into account that there was no severance pay meaning people went back to their families empty-handed.

Probably the only good post in the thread

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I never really "enjoy" seeing a game fail.

Games are the work of hundreds of hard-working people. It sucks to be a very talented animator or 3D modeler or texture artist or concept artist or audio mixer, to pour your talent into something amazing that's saddled with a bad overall package that ensures your work is never properly appreciated. Every bad game has someone on it that was at the top of their game, doing the best they possibly can, and even making amazing work... all undermined by glitches, bad game structure, or poor timing.

And I also learned this lesson in a very hard and embarrassing way. I studied game design in college. I wanted to make games. When the Star Wars Kinect game came out and everyone was making fun of it, I saw one of my game design buddies post a video about the game. I chimed in with a snide remark, commenting that the game was garbage and being ridiculed left and right... only to find out my buddy had been hired to work on the game, and what he posted was him being proud of the hundreds of hours he poured into the animation and graphical UI of the game, and I just crapped all over his work.

I STILL feel like dirt for that, and I've long since learned to direct my criticisms at the right people and to avoid throwing shade at the hundreds of awesome game devs out there working their butts off in the HOPE that the final product makes you happy.

Also, again, if my buddy is ever reading this... I'm still REAAALY sorry. Star Wars Kinect wasn't that bad, and your work on it was awesome.
Great post and I wholeheartedly agree. I think many of us can sometimes get too absorbed in the hate train and forget that you've got actual people with feelings behind this game. Social media makes it so easy to scroll through the dozens of negative comments. If you've been involved in any sort of creative project, you know how much that shit can really get to you.