• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
My guess is that very few people use it, but some of these people make amazing images that get shared a lot over the internet and help the game's marketing, justifying the feature's development.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, a ton nowadays for the games that support it. With most platforms having access to screenshot functionality, I like to document my journey through the experiences I play. Every now and then look I back at the games I've played and go through the screenshot, and hud-less screenshots just tend to look so much better, not to mention the ability to frame shots well with the camera controls.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only one I've used even a bit was the one in Super Mario Odyssey, that was fun to mess around with due to all the weird captures.

Yusuke_Kun

Sep 26, 2018
Oh yes I do use it and I hope it'll be implemented in the majority of upcoming games - particularly open-worldy ones.
Loved this feature especially in HZD and GOW, hoping there will be a decent one in KH3 too!

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Not much... a couple of screenshots sometimes but I never lose too much time on it, also because I don't share them, so it's just to look at them after some months and remember the nice time passed in that game.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I have over 3000 screenshots in inFAMOUS Second Son thanks to it, and about the same in God of War. I think I'm somewhere in the 2000's with Spider-Man. So yes, I definitely use Photo Mode. It is, in my opinion, one of the best little new things this generation. It's a lot of fun and adds a whole lot of playtime for me and many others. The developers enjoy seeing people taking screenshots as well, so it's really a win-win. It also helps me appreciate the models even more. Take God of War and Spider-Man for example. I never would've been able to see all the tiny little scratches on the metal of Kratos' armors or Spidey's Iron-Spider armor without it. They could have not done that at all and those models would have still looked amazing but they did and it's a shame to think that some of these works go unappreciated (or at least not as much) without Photo Mode so I'm grateful for it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly. I almost always take screenshots with the UI.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
What do you mean set it up?

You see an thing ir action you like, go into photomode, take photo, go back to playing.

In AC Ofyssey that takes 2 second for example. No set up or mininal setup needed.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
tenor.gif

DelayedJealousItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I buy games specifically if they have Photo Mode.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I do and also fuck you, Flickr, for limiting my free account after such a collection I've uploaded into you already. Fuck off, Flickr.

Jan 10, 2018
I use photo mode mainly as a complement to in-game features.

A couple of great uses for a photo mode:

- Take a pic of a treasure map so that you don't have to go into your inventory to switch to it instantly.

- Inspect a player and take a pic of their gear in order to remember what stats, gear, items or colors you want to buy/find.

- Take a pic of player names so that they don't get lost if you want to message them, report them or whatever.

- Take a pic of map locations and clues to either use yourself or send to your friends to help them navigate.

- Take a pic of passwords and key phrases so that you don't have to remember them when you find the specific lock or NPC that you are trying to get past.

- Take a pic of important dialogue clues that are used to solve riddles or puzzles.

- Take a pic of important tutorial texts that might get lost in complex menus.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I typically like photo modes. I used the one in Mario Odyssey a lot. And I dabbled with Spider-Man and Uncharted 4.

What's nuts is that Smash Ultimate has a legit photo mode as opposed to the game just freezing when you pause, but I really haven't dabbled in it at all.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Yes all the time, i use it when a setting is gogeous or when something cool happens.

Best feature this gen, it reminds me of my gaming memories.

Dec 6, 2017
US
It's certainly a cool feature theoretically but I've only messed with God Of War's for about a minute, got impatient to get back to playing and forgot about it to be honest.

Thought I'd use it but nothing so far.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I always use it a lot at the beginning of the game, then forget it exists, then remember it again near the end and use it a lot again lol

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if the games incredibly pretty yes (horizon, infamous second son, uncharted, spider-man, GT:sport, god of war etc) or to give myself a little reminder to return to an area to collect something.

otherwise no.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I post my shots on twitter (@lenteludo)and my avatar refers to game photos. I like photography in real life and photo modes in games just give you a lot of freedom. I especially like Drive Club's photo mode, because they have incorporated more realistic motion/shutter speed effects into it (and it's fun to watch the picture render).

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've dabbled, but at the end of the day I realize I'll never look at them again lol.

I take photos on Switch (using the button) in hopes that one day Nintendo will let us use our photos as home screen wallpaper.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have so much fun in Photo Mode. I sometimes get lost for 10-15 minutes at a time trying to get a good shot and/or treatment.

Games will keep including them because, with social media integration, they're basically free marketing, even if it's goofy stuff like bugs.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Nope. I do not have a creative photogenic eye at all, and anything in game I see that's worth taking photos of, someone else has beaten me to the punch 18,000 times. I'm glad it's there to see others photos, but it's not something I care to use.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes in Forza Horizon, but very often in RDR2... Although it's not a true photo mode, but I love that you can toggle the UI off, and I do it all the time...at least once a play session to nab some epic vista or shot.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy occasionally taking pictures of SFV with a hacked-in "photomode" but for some reason I don't really use the actual photomodes made for other games. I did take a bunch of pictures of RDR2, but no photomode there, just gameplay stuff. I guess when I'm actually playing a game I don't like to be distracted much (I have to setup SFV expressly for taking pictures when I do).

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never touched it. I'm a simple man. I play games.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I love it in GT. There are some forums out there that have photo mode competitions.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Screenshots (= pressing the screenshot button) ? A lot, I filled the Switch limit (1000 ?) just between BotW and XB2 : /
Proper photo mode (= dedicated interface in the game) ? Only once, and coincidentally yesterday while playing Horizon Zero Dawn, what a gorgeous game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got anymore of them alternatives to Flickr?
What I did was just make another Flickr account with another email address, that's all you need. Another option that should potentially work well is using a regular art sharing site like Deviantart.com for example. You can upload traditional art as well as photography there, without limit, without image quality loss and you can hotlink images easily from there.

Seems to work fine:

db15yqm-5a9142dc-ab61-4578-88a0-8034fcaaf3bb.png

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On most platforms I'll do it for thumbnails and streaming title cards, but I do find myself using them for fun in Nintendo's stuff. No real reason why I don't bother with the others in that context, but I guess a large part of it is that I find the art style in Nintendo games to be pretty damn charming.