• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your job like

• I tell them I'll be going on vacation, and then I vacation

Votes: 171 62.6%
  • I must ask for permission to go on vacation, and there's an actual risk of them rejecting it

Votes: 102 37.4%

• Total voters

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I have to book ahead of time so we avoid having multiple people or more taking off at the same time

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Think general procedure for my workplace is to give at least 2 weeks heads up. There's a more concerted effort around November/December scheduling to make sure folks can take time off and there's coverage. The rest of the year is usually pretty open. I don't get paid sick time, but I've never had a problem using vacation days when I'm out sick and I don't think I've ever had vacation time denied.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to coordinate with my back up and vice versa. If we have a conflict and I absolutely need the day off I will have to ask my manager to get another back up for the day.

So far I have never been declined a time off request.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
There are times of the year where - although I still need to put in the request for admin purposes - there is a 100% chance of it getting approved.

Other times of the year, due to workload, it's more difficult. Just the nature of the industry.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I approve vacations in my job.

I have yet to bother to read dates or names before hitting approve. We have a calendar people add theirs too so I can check at the start of a week/sprint.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Legally its an agreement from both, I can't go without permission and they can't send me without my permission. Same with consumption of overtime. In reality I put myself in a list and thats it.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Officially there's an approval process, but the system automatically approves upon submission. I think longer than two weeks triggers a manual approval process though. I'm actually genuinely not sure if my boss even sees my requests at all in the cases of auto approval, but we have a shared vacation calendar on OneDrive to let everyone know. Granted, during certain peaks (I'm in retail, so stretches of Q4, and specific to my market, back to school) I'd almost certainly get shot down once it was noticed.

I approve vacations in my job.

I have yet to bother to read dates or names before hitting approve. We have a calendar people add theirs too so I can check at the start of a week/sprint.
Same. For my direct reports there is always a manual approval process, but I've approved everything thus far, even stuff we wouldn't have in the past. Between COVID (which was probably the biggest contributor, as a lot of the changes coincided with those first few months in 2020), trying to be more competitive "post"-COVID, and trends we were looking at pre-COVID, there's been a big cultural shift towards facilitating work-life balance, team stabilization, and generally being more flexible/accommodating.

Last edited:

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because we're short staffed. It's never been a problem for me but my coworkers and I talk openly about time off so we always make sure there's coverage.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
My employer is good about work/life balance so it's basically just a formality since my PTO requests have never been denied. It's more "hey, heads up, I'm not gonna be here on these days"

There are two months each year where I normally wouldn't think about using PTO (outside of illness), since I know I'm needed for dealing with our external auditors. Otherwise if I want to use PTO then I can/will.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have to get approval and it's important in case there's e.g. a science conference planned that I might be expected to attend, but I've never had a request denied.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I haven't taken a vacation since 2015 because they just make me work while I'm off anyway so why bother…
um…so I guess I don't know because I don't ask…

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I just need to check that I have the available PTO and let them know when I'm taking off. By American standards it's pretty damn good.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
For a significant vacation, I like to give several months notice, but it'll still be like, "I booked a flight for (place) and I'll be gone in early July". If it's a quick 3 or 4 day weekend I'll try to give a two week heads up and handle deadlines and coverage on my end to make sure that me leaving doesn't cause annoyances for other people.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Place needs to be staffed at all times. If they cannot have someone fill the spot I would fill, I cannot get vacation.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
My boss would probably give me shit if I took off during the summer because we have a ton of work on schools during the break, but I'm not really worried about him laying me off, so I don't care.

Normally I give like a week's notice for a day off and if I'm taking a vacation, I tell them as soon as the plans are finalized.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
i need to get days off approved but ive never worried about it being denied

same. Our manager assumes that our team communicates this stuff to each other so we all know 'who is away when' and make sure we hand over properly so things can continue as planned if someone is away for more than just a few days. So its basically "Check with your collegues and if everyone is okay with it I just blindly approve your requests"

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My answer is somewhere in the middle. I have to ask, but there's zero chance I'll be told no - it's mainly a formality as we're a company with 50k employees across a broad spectrum of job types (engineering, manufacturing, etc), and the work I do isn't mission critical.

My last job, I could pretty much just tell my team a week or two in advance that I was going to take some time off and then leave. If we ever ran into an issue (like multiple people wanting to leave at the same time), we just worked it out among ourselves.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never have to ask unless it's during a convention/travel week or the week of Thanksgiving / Christmas, since a lot of other people on the team might ask for those holiday weeks off (usually we can choose to have either the week of Thanksgiving off or the week of Christmas off, and the team works out the balance)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on your company. I have to get my PTO approved, and my team is small enough that we try not to fuck each other over by having multiple people go on vacation at once.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I just left a job because I gave 3 months notice for a 2 week vacation and my boss lost it and rejected it, claiming I didn't follow protocol.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a common question people ask when they are considering taking a vacation. The answer is that it depends on your employer and your job. Some employers are very flexible and will allow you to take time off for a vacation with little notice. Others may require that you give them several weeks notice or may not allow you to take vacation time during busy periods.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I work as a nurse in an emergency department so they only allow a certain number of staff off at a time. Normally you have to book holidays months in advance, years if you want Christmas off

Cerun

Jun 9, 2020
I have to get the days approved and make sure there is enough staff on my team working while I am gone. Usually not a problem though.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
My team at work is only three people, so we really can't have overlapping vacation time. But as long as I'm requesting time that one of them hasn't already requested, there's no risk of it being shot down, and there have been instances of someone giving up time they had scheduled if there's a conflict and the other person's is more important or harder to cancel or postpone

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
If I request it, I get it. However I can really make things difficult for myself if I don't schedule it in a convenient time to fit within my workload. No one is there to tell me no if I have the available time; but no one is going to handle my responsibilities for me to alleviate my workload when I return from that vacation either.

So I just... have to be mindful and plan properly for my own sake. I'm fine with it.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Why do you ask for permission? Tell them you are going on vacation and that's the end of it!!!!

I work on a small team of 3 people; we support several hundred users. We have a standing rule that only 1 of us should be on vacation at once, because while 2 of us can share the load, it's extremely difficult if only 1 of us is there. So the first person to request time off gets it, but if someone else wanted the same days, they're out of luck. Fortunately, this barely ever happens.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I request time off but it's mostly guaranteed unless there's something big going on. I haven't been declined yet.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
We have black out periods at work we can't take vacation during (usually due to it being too busy in terms of revamping things, holidays are fair game) but otherwise we can go whenever, we just need to give notice so there's not too much overlap. At least at my current job people have only been denied if there was already so many people on vacation at that time we wouldn't be able to function otherwise. At my last job vacations were denied all the time because the people in charge of approving them consistently lost the info.