• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you often check a platforms Activity Feed?

• Hell Yeah

Votes: 193 41.9%
  • Nah

Votes: 268 58.1%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
large.jpg
xbox-one-activity-feed.jpg

I don't recall if Nintendo has one for switch, but off the top of my head I know PS4, XB1, and Steam do. There you can typically see when someone starts streaming, achievements, photos, videos, and more of what your friends list is currently doing. However, it has always been a feature I never use outside of stumbling into it on accident. I guess we could extend this to the Clubs and announcements aspects as well that these platforms use.

For me, I just never really see the point. I get my news on upcoming events from elsewhere and when i'm down to play, the last thing i'm doing is checking out the feed on what everyone else is up to. However, I will admit that seeing "XxSEPH1R0TH-sniperxX liked your recent activity" is always neat to see.

So how often do you use the activity feed? Are you someone that even checks them on your phone? I'm curious to see what ratio is here.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm friend with my nephews and siblings, I bought my nephew Spider-Man for his birthday and I saw that he got a ton of trophies in it, that made me happy
Also bought Spyro for my sister and it was nice to see her trophies as well
Mainly I scroll thru when I'm bored though

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All the time on PS4. Often leave a like to trophies(mostly Platinum or rare ones), screenshots and sometimes comment on someone's trophy if its one of particular interest.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I check my Steam activity feed now and then. It's nice seeing what people play, what screenshots/videos they share and so on. It's also great for game/update announcements from developers.

I never check the feed on PS4 though.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
Always. Since I live far away from people I know i like to check what my friends and family members are playing so we can talk about it later when i chat with them.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cool feature if your friends upload a lot of frequent clips. Otherwise it's just kind of there. I think Steam fares a bit better with its community hubs that combine messages, screenshots, and clips.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No when I first saw it on PS4 I thought I'd use it...but yeah I never do lol

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
every time I open steam. good way to find games to buy/wishlist and look at cool screenshots.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
I use my steam activity feed pretty often. Its mostly cause im in some pretty active groups and have a bunch of people people who love posting screenshots

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of cool to see where people are in a game by the trophies they just earned, but I only ever see that while scrolling to somewhere else.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only during big releases where I know my IRL friends are playing what I currently am, it's fun to know how far they are that way.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No. I don't really care what anyone else is playing unless I ask them directly.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I check Steams every time I get on
On PS4 I do it on occasion but not that often

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, takes like 10 seconds. Thumb up a platinum or two and move on. Its not really meaningful and I wouldn't miss it if it were gone but it doesn't bother me for existing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
sometimes, i like that it shows trophies friends earned usually at the top

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As of the last year I've oddly been diving in every once in a while as soon as I login on my PS4. I don't really interact with it though -- I don't leave "Likes" on anything or comment. Just kinda peek what my friend list has been up to. Dunno why I started, but I started to get curious.

To a lesser extent, I peek play times on Switch for a few friends, just to see what they've been up to.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
no, i actually go out of my way to unfollow everything i possibly can just to have it not constantly pulling stuff up

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I check to see what people have been playing lately on PS4 and Xbox. I get a little thrill when I see people play new games on release that I haven't gotten to yet.
I notice games like The Division 2 and GTAV spam the feed way too much on PSN.

Apr 8, 2018
I check them almost every time I'm on XB1 and PS4. I only really check my PS4 activity feed on my phone since I'm not on there as much.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. If I somehow end up in that feed I just mentally autopiloted and went to the wrong menu.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
My younger brother has a lot of troubles and demons, so I enjoy going on there and seeing that he's playing a game. Idk it just lets me know that he's probably doing okay at that moment.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I love the XB1 activity feed. I like that I got to see screenshots and videos and achievements from my friends. It might be my favorite part of the XB1 UI.

Not a fan of the one on PS4. The one on Steam is pretty bare bones.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Very occasionally on Steam. Almost never on PS4 unless I'm waiting for something to finish downloading or whatever, then I might peek for 10 seconds and get instantly bored.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I usually take a peak on the PS4 but it's mostly a cursory glance. I'm happy it's there at least.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
All the time on Steam. Since I keep a close group of friends, I like to see what's being wishlisted and also check their screenshots and stuff. Can't tell you how many times I've been sold on a game because of a friends screenshots...

Nov 1, 2017
Only the weirdo's that clock in hundreds of hours on a thing and my nieces/nephew's.

Edit: Referring to Nintendo platforms mostly where the activity log also keeps track of time played but also applies to my friends on Steam where I'll occasionally creep what they're playing.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just about everyday i use steam activity feed
I really like seeing what my peeps bought or took screenshots of etc.
It is one way for ke to discover stuff i may had overlooked.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, shit is just full of adds or it just tells me somebody unlocked some achievements/trophies or some shit. It's a waste of space.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the most useful Steam features for me. I use it every day (and I've bought a ton of games thanks to its existence).

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
On Steam I do. It's useful for the games in following to see how they're progressing.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Once in a great while if a Plat unlock is at the top I'll toss it a like but normally it's just regular trophy posts or image shares that I've already seen cause I follow all the same people on Twitter.