• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. I find myself playing older games more often than new ones. I can't count how many nights I have stayed up until 1 am playing games like Castlevania 3, Mega Man X and Final Fight. Hell the most exciting thing this year for me is the Megaman Zero collection. Need more collections of games I grew up with.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes, I do have classics I sometimes go back to play but sadly I lack most of the systems I once had that played these games and it's not the same with emulation.

Once I get my own space I fully plan to have a dedicated gaming room with awesome stuff, retro and modern alike :)

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
But thats my point if a new port of an old game has this than I cant really play it because I cant just ignore the saves and continues. I need the game to make me play like it was intended.

i mean... it WAS intended that way. the continues are an option from the port. credit feeding on MAME is emulating using... actual money.

the ports should do a better job of letting people experience something closer to how they were originally conceived. maybe every hour a player earns an extra credit or saving should be set between stages (and not scummed during stages or w/e) or they delete after being opened.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Anything older than PSX/N64/Saturn is a bit harder to go back to but I still appreciate it.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
PS1/N64-era games are hard for me to go back to, but 2D stuff from the generations before those are just as fun as modern games to me, if not more so.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game. I'm not going to go back to the Atari 2600 versions of Asteroids or Pac-Man, but I can still spend some time on Adventure, Seaquest or River Raid. I might play Aquatron or Star Blazer for the Apple ][ for a little while, but something like Aztec is too clunky for my tastes nowadays. Super Mario Bros. 1-3 or River City Ransom on the NES? I could play those all day. Genghis Khan on the NES? I'm not sure I have that kind of time anymore.

If I can still have some fun with a title, I'll keep going back to it once in awhile no matter how old it is.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I appreciate games that go back to how games used to be. Game in question I'm playing now terminator resistance is like playing an fps from ten years ago. Simple, yet amazingly fun. Sometimes, you just want to kick back and play, and not have to worry about stats here and there and God knows what else, just play.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Flip side: I grew up on them in the 80s and on and, not only can I appreciate them because of that, I can also call a spade a spade and call some of the ones I grew up with and enjoyed not good (or worse, looking right at you Battletoads).

The view from myself or any other "older" folks versus the newer generations will always be different, without question, because of experiencing it in the time they were made, but I'm not going to discount someone's opinion on it being good or not just because of that. If you don't enjoy it you don't enjoy it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
There's a limit for how old I'll go. I grew up playing NES, Sega, then PS1 and onward so those aren't too bad. Am I gonna sit back and play a couple hours of Choplifter on my master system? Nah.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I still spend most of my time playing games on 80s computers and consoles, so yeah.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think it's easy to go back to games you used to play as a kid because the nostalgia factor sweetens the deal. I didn't have many consoles/games when I was young so revisiting some of the so-called classics now is pretty rough. There are some games that still truly hold up though thanks to their great design that understood its technical limitations. Kirby's Dreamland, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Castlevania Symphony of the Night are few that come to mind. I have also started to appreciate many GBA games as I think they were peak pixel art design.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate them a lot, my playtime is a steady rotation between new and old. Recently got done playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time for example.

I like games that are antithetical to the prevailing AAA space. A lot of those are old.
Absolutely this. Playing retro games means more variety of gameplay styles in my life.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hell yeahhhhhhhh. I appreciate the shit out of them!

Got a big retro collection. Most of it from when I was little. Still play them. They're great. I tend to often prefer older stuff, too.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I may have enjoyed them when I played them at the time - but there's no way I'd go back to them. They completely suck by modern standards - even the classics.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge sega fan so yup.

I will say this. I find 8 bit games hard to enjoy sometimes.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I grew up on them so I have a lot of fond memories of NES->GameCube games. I don't really care to play most of them though. SNES games are probably the best era to revisit though.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't want to play early console games like the Intellivision and Atari 2600 anymore, arcade games from the early 80's and NES games are still fun.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
SNES and beyond, there are games which I enjoy playing. Ocarina of Time, Crash 1 and 2 are all top 10 games for me.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
These days I'm finding myself going back to older games of my younger days way more than I ever have, earliest being early 80s arcade and computer games. I think my brain is retreating there when feeling burned out from modern service games.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
neat. i've been playing them for about as long. you're wrong.
Let's take a couple of classic games from different era's.

Yars revenge on the 2600 - I played that for hours back then and loved it. I defy anyone to play it for more than 2 minutes and not get bored out of their minds.

Zelda OOT - A truly excellent game at the time of release, rightly regarded as a masterpiece. Pretty much unplayable by modern standards due to the really shitty frame rate and incredibly annoying menu/inventory system that make it a real slog to get through.

Good games (by modern standards) could be made from the core concepts for a lot of old games, but as they stand nostalgia is main reason to compare them favourably with the equivalent modern releases.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Let's take a couple of classic games from different era's.

Yars revenge on the 2600 - I played that for hours back then and loved it. I defy anyone to play it for more than 2 minutes and not get bored out of their minds.

Zelda OOT - A truly excellent game at the time of release, rightly regarded as a masterpiece. Pretty much unplayable by modern standards due to the really shitty frame rate and incredibly annoying menu/inventory system that make it a real slog to get through.

Good games (by modern standards) could be made from the core concepts for a lot of old games, but as they stand nostalgia is main reason to compare them favourably with the equivalent modern releases.

wow you got me here with the two game example.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Great games are great games regardless of the generation they come from. I go back to NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/PS1/GB/etc. games regularly and appreciate the good ones just as much today as I did at the time they released.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

The Beatles- Rubber Soul (1965)- who wants to listen to this shit nowadays? I mean, I get that it is influential to pop music going forward, but that awful mono mastering on the original version UGH. virtually unlistenable.

Prince and the Revolution- Purple Rain (1984)- I get why this was popular then but people would probably get bored with the instrumental track. Also-- gated reverb on drums? Aged like milk.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Was born in 1984, and can happily play games from before I was born if they play well. For example, I've become a bit addicted to Tapper at the local arcade trying to set high scores with my friends. A year ago, I'd never played it before so it's certainly not some nostalgia bias.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
The Beatles- Rubber Soul (1965)- who wants to listen to this shit nowadays? I mean, I get that it is influential to pop music going forward, but that awful mono mastering on the original version UGH. virtually unlistenable.

Prince and the Revolution- Purple Rain (1984)- I get why this was popular then but people would probably get bored with the instrumental track. Also-- gated reverb on drums? Aged like milk.
Lol - so you're counterexamples aren't even games.

Classic music, movies and TV aren't really comparable to video games. Look, I know what you're trying to say, but technology is coupled to games significantly more closely than in other media.

I mean I get it, I do actually"appreciate" old games, but that's because I grew up with them and played them when they came out. If I check them out again it's only for a few minutes before I go back to more recent releases where I actually spend all my gaming time.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Lol - so you're counterexamples aren't even games.

Classic music, movies and TV aren't really comparable. I know what you're trying to say, but technology is coupled to games significantly more closely than in other media format.s

it's really not worth indulging with a serious response when OoT, a game that is beloved to this day, finds the user spending LESS time in menus or managing inventory and has more consistent frame rates than BOTW.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
YES! Love PSOne and SNES games especially.

Really don't like anything before the SNES or Megadrive/Saturn, though. (Except maybe SMB3)

(I'm 25 and my first console was a Gameboy Color, if that info's relevant)

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
I appreciate scrolling beat-em-ups from the 90's like Aliens VS Predator / Punisher.

Some fighting games.

I don't intend to go back to disc based games because of the loading times. PS1/2/3/360.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate them but they are not the best. Like, yeah, Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong are the reason we have Mario today but those games aren't the best things ever.

I think the first Super Mario Bros. (and the Japanese sequel, which is most similar to it) are in some ways the best games in that series, honestly. Once Mario left the NES, it moved away from the compact, arcade-like design of the originals that promotes consistent play and a more in-depth understanding of game systems from the player. Later Mario games tend to be a little theme park-like in comparison, often more focused on novelty or presentation over focused design. (I still think almost all mainline Mario games are good or excellent, but this is a case where a foundational game really does have unique strengths that its sequels and successors moved away from.)

I have been playing vidoe games since the 70's. I have fond memories of games from all the way back then, but playing them again just makes you realize the progress that's been made. Games are good for their time, and the more time that passes since release the more that applies.

I don't think games have really "progressed" in a linear fashion. The big improvement modern games have made over older ones is just that higher levels of technology allow for bigger, more complex games, but game design has changed over time in ways that aren't entirely positive, too. Maybe due to the necessity of larger-budget games to appeal to more and more people in order to recoup their development costs, there's a trend towards keeping players hooked or addicted and away from keeping the player engaged and mentally active, as was the case in a lot of great older games. (And this isn't entirely a recent thing; you can see this shift starting even on the SNES. It's just slid further and further over time.) It's kind of a generalization and simplification - there were shitty older games and a lot of great modern ones) - but it's really not the case that modern games are just flatly better than older ones.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
it's really not worth indulging with a serious response when OoT, a game that is beloved to this day, finds the user spending LESS time in menus or managing inventory and has more consistent frame rates than BOTW.
I've not played BotW because the aimlessness of it it does not appeal to me at all. Are you saying the it's tech is worse than OoT? I find that quite surprising as it's not something I've read about on here.

Still, I expect that if you just compare them side by side, ignoring the year they were released, then BotW comes out on top as the better game. Whether or not it's better by the standards at the time of release is another question - certainly in games that appeal to me directly then BotW loses (however I consider them kind of different types of game)

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy playing Famicom onwards.

Once in a while I will be surprised by missing QoL features I'm now used to, even as recently as PS2 generation. I ran into a particularly strong case of this with Flashback (heh) on MD/SNES. A game I remember renting and playing through with no trouble now feels like it has some rather picky/obtuse control and interface issues I need to get reaccustomed to before I can play well.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, especially if it ages well. Zelda on switch SNES emulator is really fun. I've been enjoying it a ton.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only enjoy old games for the nostalgia. I don't particularly enjoy playing old games I've never played before.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I've not played BotW because the aimlessness of it it does not appeal to me at all. Are you saying the it's tech is worse than OoT? I find that quite surprising as it's not something I've read about on here.

Still, I expect that if you just compare them side by side, ignoring the year they were released, then BotW comes out on top as the better game. Whether or not it's better by the standards at the time of release is another question - certainly in games that appeal to me directly then BotW loses (however I consider them kind of different types of game)

of course the tech is "worse" in OOT, Jesus it's 22 years old! But BOTW gets criticized A LOT for menu management and frame rate... people don't review video games like productivity software or on specs...

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there are more old games worth playing than there is time to play them all properly. People that can't appreciate old games are missing out.

Also, please join this thread:
www.resetera.com

Your Top Games of the 1970s

Happy New Year, everyone! Top game lists have been done to death on the internet but some topics still manage to get overlooked, like the 1970s. It was a groundbreaking decade for video games. While I think most people would agree that its genres were surpassed in the '80s, that doesn’t mean...