• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna like a game just because it's old. A TON of stuff that came out just 5 years ago feels outdated now. It gets even worse the further back you go. Not to say there aren't old games that hold up, though (Final Fantasy Tactics will always be the GOAT).

I can appreciate the original Mario games, Goldeneye, etc, but I don't really enjoy playing them now when their formulas have been basically perfected over the last 20 years.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
Yes, absolutely! I replay Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IV, Xenogears and Secret of Mana every single year.
Nostalgia is very powerful for me and it's quite beautiful to see and discover many new details as I contine growing through the years, with my perspectives changing sometimes, it's really interesting and fun. I also like to go back to the Metal Gear series or revisit many GameBoy Advance titles.
And I'm pretty sure I'll continue doing this for a very long time, if not forever if that's possible! I wanna be a cool grandpa hahaha!

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
If by "appreciate," you mean like older games more than most new ones, then yes, I appreciate them. Still, I don't exactly replay older games too often these days. I have too many new games and too little time, although I can usually find a way to go through Donkey Kong Country 2 or Final Fantasy VII again--older games are usually shorter than games from the same genres now, at least.

Also, to be honest, I have to admit that I have an easier time playing games from the SNES era onwards. I don't like most NES games except for its best classics (like Super Mario Bros 3 and Mega Man), and I haven't really played any Atari games (I played an Atari a few times and played a solid game on it). The 16 and 32-bit era games are what I grew up with, and it's easy for me to return to them. I don't go out of my way too much to play games from this time that I haven't already checked out, though--I feel like I've played most of the games from the 1990s that interest me by this point. And I can't say that I care about most or any retro PC games; I didn't like them when I was a kid, and I still don't.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
I first started gaming during the early days of the NES, but I don't go back too often anymore. I still appreciate those eras for the amazing leaps gaming took, but I only come back to a few games that basically could have come out today like Super Metroid. A lot of times I can't get over stuff like the improvements in controls/menus/online any more. There's just not a lot of reason to when there are so many great games continually coming out now.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I think as I get older I'm finding I have more of an appreciation and affection for older games and the stuff I grew up with. Mainly from the NES/Snes onward. Part of it definitely has to do with nostalgia and a bit of navel gazing for sure, but at the same time a good game is just a good game regardless of era.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I can appreciate the entire history of games but, when it comes to actually playing games from around the NES era, it's tough. Games of that era are just too punishing for my tastes, i prefer easier experiences that newer games provide.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I have no issue with pixellated graphics if done right, but I do prefer other art styles. My issue with most old games is they don't hold up in terms of their controls, game mechanics or narratively.
Of course, you'll have timeless classics like Tetris, but by and large, games are getting better and I see no reason to try pre-'95 games for the first time when there's so many released afterward that interest me more.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love the classics. I still enjoy classic arcade games and I still play everything from NES to the PS2 regularly.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
100%. Retro gaming takes up roughly 40-45% of my gaming time. I'm also a bit of a collector so I have various systems and games for those systems.

I really love it when retro games come to modern consoles, specifically the PlayStation ecosystem because they add trophies that I enjoy getting.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Good stuff is good regardless imo but id be lying if i said that older graphics (mostly 3d stuff) and controls didn't make a lot of stuff really hard to get into at first if I didn't play them at launch back then.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like a ton of old games. I like some retro games, too. They make up a significant portion of what I play. I find that, in most cases, the good games don't age beyond requiring a relatively brief adjustment period (like <20 minutes) at the start to get a handle on control mechanics or whatever.

i'm currently playing Saturn PowerSlave and it rules

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only back to the 32-bit era. Anything older (NES, etc) I simply cannot appreciate, no.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
There are a few, like some SNES RPGs that I can appreciate now, but I'm not really into it platformers/side-scrollers, so there's a huge chunk of older games that I just have zero interest in.

Oct 27, 2017
No. I also won't watch any movies before 1988. I mean I would never watch a black and white movie because everyone was racist then. Also I won't read a novel written before the year 2000 because words are better now.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate them a ton. While not every game aged well, I actually prefer some of the older games to what we have now. Im still in my 20s and yet I feel like the games I grew up on (Genesis/Ps1/Dreamcast/Ps2, etc) were a lot simpler back then. I miss the "arcade style" of games that seems to have been removed from a lot of genres.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, definitely. I grew up with the N64/Gamecube but I still appreciate games from before then. I do prefer the SNES/Genesis era over previous eras though. I find SNES/Genesis era games to have more depth to them and some of my favorite games ever are from that era as well (EarthBound, Super Metroid, and Chrono Trigger just to name a few).

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
100%. Nostalgia is the biggest factor generally for me, but generally like once or twice a year I do play a game I missed out on(mainly PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era) and always have a good experience. I grew up with the PS/N64 technically being my first console, but then I also went back to older games like the NES, SNES, and Genesis. Of course you have to give some leeway for aspects of a game that are considered dated, but I find most to be pretty forgivable. I've always had a deep appreciation for older games since they generally laid the foundation for the games we have today ultimately so I do feel it's pretty helpful to have a thorough understanding of past generations in order to enjoy the current gen even more knowing how the industry has evolved since then.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Sure, I've still got favorites dating back to the PS1. Some games just age like fine wine, like most FPS's of the 90s. I buy (and play) Duke Nukem 3D on every platform I can get it.

Less experienced with what came before (early SNES and prior), but I'm sure there's stuff I'd enjoy.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
No. I also won't watch any movies before 1988. I mean I would never watch a black and white movie because everyone was racist then. Also I won't read a novel written before the year 2000 because words are better now.
Had me going for a second there haha...

But yeah. Of course. If you're passionate about your hobby, I dont see how you cant at the very least appreciate where modern games came from.

And it helps that some classic games are still better than a lot of what we are getting now.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes. I play games as old as the 8bit era.

NES was my first console, but for nostalgia PS1 is my absolute favourite. The memories of staying up late at night playing through Resident Evil 2, or battling through Metal Gear Sold with my cousin and many, many more. Pure gaming bliss.

Note to Sony: if you can get the whole PS1 back catalogue available to purchase on PS5 then you'll make a shit load of money from me.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I think it helps a ton if you were playing games when they originally released. I have a soft spot for a lot of games that really don't hold up in terms of gameplay but I still enjoy them because I'm aware of amazing they seemed when they first came out.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish today's games were even half as good as they used to be.

Modern games are (barring a few exceptions; and the indie scene); complete and utter shite and aren't even fit to lick the boots of the classics of yesteryear.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, although some stuff just holds up way better than other stuff. Like SNES/Genesis hits hold up so much better IMO than most PS1/N64 era hits - the difference between developers having mastered 2D gaming and pixel graphics versus developers trying to figure out how controls/camera work in low polygon 3D worlds.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I appreciate their concept & atmosphere more than the actual gameplay but yes I do appreciate them.

There are also exceptions where old game's gameplay held up insanely well, for example the shooting in RE4 feels much more punchy, snappy and satisfying than RE2 Remake.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think a lot of Atari 2600 and early Computer games are pretty rough (though there are several I do like!), I absolutely love "golden age" arcade games and still think the NES is Nintendo's best console. So, absolutely, yes. I often prefer retro games to modern stuff as the level of difficulty, gameplay loops and aesthetics fit my personal tastes a lot more than many current games do.

Anything before Super Mario Bros 3 you're better off just reading the wiki.

This is one of the most fundamentally stupid posts I've ever read on this site.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I love a ton of old games that I dont love to play anymore, I rather remember the way they made me feel back then.

Snes games still hold up really well though.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I just beat Metal Slug 3 a few days ago and loved the hell out of it and im 23 but I feel like im in the minority. Also wanting to beat Ninja gaiden black but older than that its hard for me if its not DOOM 1 or something that holds up gamplay-wise as good as that.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I just beat Metal Slug 3 a few days ago and loved the hell out of it and im 23 but I feel like im in the minority. Also wanting to beat Ninja gaiden black but older than that its hard for me if its not DOOM 1 or something that holds up gamplay-wise as good as that.

you'll be happy to know there are other great run n gun shooters that not only predate MS3, but are probably better designed games to boot.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
you'll be happy to know there are other great run n gun shooters that not only predate MS3, but are probably better designed games to boot.
Its also weird with games like Metal slug (current gen ports) in that they have straight up saves and infinite continues which makes me feel like I kinda didnt play the game.
DOOM1/2 is the kind of game that is still amazing in its gameplay loop but alot of old arcade games are just made as quarter munchers.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Its also weird with games like Metal slug in that they have straight up saves and infinite continues which makes me feel like I kinda didnt play the game.
DOOM1/2 is the kind of game that is still amazing in its gameplay loop but alot of old arcade games are just made as quarter munchers.

Metal Slug is best played when you DON'T abuse credits or save states. these games were designed to be finished with as few (if any) additional credits as possible.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. There are amazing works of art in every generation and I love re visiting them. Probably my favourite thing about videogames right now.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
A good game is a good game and I've never had trouble going back to stuff well before my time. There are fantastic games on every platform.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Metal Slug is best played when you DON'T abuse credits or save states. these games were designed to be finished with as few (if any) additional credits as possible.
But thats my point if a new port of an old game has this than I cant really play it because I cant just ignore the saves and continues. I need the game to make me play like it was intended. Its like the people who play pokemon with permadeath (nuzlocke challenge) they apply to themselves, I cant do that and enjoy myself. I need an actual hard mode implemented.

Oct 27, 2017
I can respect their place in history, but I'm generally going to prefer a newer games simply because of the QoL improvements.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really old shit? Depends. A lot of was deliberately mimicking each other because of distribution and pre-internet marketing. I am talking old old arcade. But like many others have said, good is good.

Honestly, I still don't understand all the people that think RE1/2/3 are unplayable due to tank controls. I beat them for the first time, having never really played them in my youth, just a year or two ago. I thought they were excellent and controlled fine. A lot of schemes and mechanics some folks call archaic I still enjoy or try recently and adapt to them rapidly.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite video games of all time were from the 1900's.