• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do everything wrong because I like the way it tastes and I don't care. soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger, all on top. don't @ me. I know its not right, and i know what each is supposed to be for. I don't care lol...
@ sgtnosboss

Anyway, varies, but too much soy sauce overpowers the sushi for me, typically. If I'm having it at a mid/low tier sushi joint, sometimes I lather everything with eel sauce and spicy mayo, especially if it's just a straight spicy tuna roll. Just depends on my mood.

When I'm eating omakase at a nicer place, I'll usually just graze it with soy or not at all, at the chef's recommendation.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I give the fish side a fairly minimal dip in the soy sauce. I don't want the rice to soak up a bunch of it—that's just a salt bomb. My wife, on the other hand, treats cheap sushi as a sort of soy sauce and wasabi delivery sponge. I long ago learned not to bother commenting on that—we just use separate sauce dishes, as I'm not into the wasabi sludge thing.

Sushi chefs would have heart attacks reading about the people that do the wasabi soy sauce sludge paste thing. They're supposed to be separate for the two very unique flavors they give
Ffs people

While I agree with the basic sentiment, I'm not sure sushi chefs really care what you do with your supermarket sushi any more than master pizzaiolos care if you dip your Tombstone in some ranch.

Last edited:

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
@ sgtnosboss

Anyway, varies, but too much soy sauce overpowers the sushi for me, typically. If I'm having it at a mid/low tier sushi joint, sometimes I lather everything with eel sauce and spicy mayo, especially if it's just a straight spicy tuna roll. Just depends on my mood.

When I'm eating omakase at a nicer place, I'll usually just graze it with soy or not at all, at the chef's recommendation.
😲 you @'d me!

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Little bit of wasabi and a little piece of the ginger on top of each piece of the roll. I know it's improper and all but...yeah the places we get takeout from aren't that great, plus I only get maki rolls from them and it's usually spicy tuna/salmon anyway.

When I've been out to eat at nice places and get some actual sashimi or nigiri, that I just eat on its own.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep a brush on you when you eat sushi? That's weird.

I just shake a few drops from the bottle.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I lived in Japan and ate sushi frequently with Japanese people at nice sushi restaurants.

The idea that there is some sacred rite to sushi and you must eat it one specific ritualized way is completely hilarious and stupid and false.

dip your sushi if you like soy sauce. The chef will not be offended.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
also this^ why do people think top sushi chefs are so revered? There's an art to it, They construct their menus, their serving sizes, ingredients in a certain way to give you the full ideal taste experience they're intending. Nowhere did I say " don't do this", go off all you want dunk it in every eel/mayo/spicy/ teriyaki sauce. Just that there's a way Top sushi is suggested to be eaten , there's a history to it.

I mean sure, if you're going to a high-end sushi place there are definitely some "rules" to keep in mind.

But if I'm going to town at an AYCE place? Fuck that, gimme the soy/wasabi combo and a solid dip.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
At my favorite sushi restaurant, the chef sometimes holds fancy kaiseki dinners, which includes a sashimi course. Even after instruction, if he sees a customer mixing in the real wasabi into the soy sauce, he'll actually take away the sauce and give them a fresh one. At first I had secondary embarrassment, but now I quietly enjoy these moments, hahaha.

With the standard Western horseradish/wasabi, the taste is too strong and the paste is too brittle to place onto the fish as is, IMO. Half the time it just rolls right off anyways. I think it's fine to mix that into soy sauce, especially since that mellows the flavor. Japanese horseradish/wasabi has a much more nuanced and mellow flavor, from my experience, and it would be a waste of good wasabi to dilute that out into a strong salty sauce.

Last edited:

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I've partook in dipping my sushi. It is alright for the plain rolls out there that benefit from the extra flavor.

My preference is a 32oz fountain cup of Eel Sauce however.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Dip into my gooey wasabi soy sauce mix. Food is about enjoyment, no matter how much I'm paying.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
First, we don't really use pure soy sauce, sushi places here tend to give out ponzu variations with the rolls. And when I'm at home I dip them into the ponzu, but at a restaurant I do it the "proper" way.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
316fbebefdc5a7c2ee01378e4f25ead8.jpg
Do eat it however the hell makes you happy.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I give the fish side a fairly minimal dip in the soy sauce. I don't want the rice to soak up a bunch of it. My wife, on the other hand, treats cheap sushi as a sort of soy sauce and wasabi delivery sponge. I long ago learned not to bother commenting on that.

While I agree with the basic sentiment, I'm not sure sushi chefs really care what you do with your supermarket sushi any more than master pizzaiolos care if you dip your Tombstone in some ranch.

I was only talking about OP when he said "super good sushi take out".

- I never once demanded or argued that someone has to eat their food in a certain way . I would never suggest someone eat their food in a certain way in person. I said what I said only because that's the topic of this thread.

- Why are people thinking that someone's telling you not to be happy the way you eat something? My goodness how defensive over the smallest things. The idea is if it's a top quality version of a certain food you should maybe initially adhere to or at least not outright scoff at/wave off the traditions/advice of the people who know best that are serving you.

I would not go to some high end artisan pizza place for example and dunk what they give me in ranch dressing. Would I be in my right to do it? Sure, because if I pay for it I can eat it however I want.

that said, I'm not so small that I am above getting a suggestion from someone who clearly knows the food better than I do, because having class is about not responding with " LOL sure OK think of the chef LOLZ culinary rules lol" and instead listening. That's all.

Not shocked at the snark from people though, some people just constantly need to bicker or engage in negativity

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Generally speaking, I don't have soy sauce with my sushi. Either it's quality stuff that doesn't need it or it's trashy Americanized rolls that already have plenty of sauce/seasonings.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I like my soy sauce dirty (mixed with wasabi) like the heretic I am but yeah, generally I dip it fish side down.

But I guess I'll follow the etiquette depending on where I eat at.

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Why are you asking ERA.

Half the people here have probably never had decent sushi lol.

If you eat sushi prepared by a chef, of course you're not supposed to dip it in soy sauce or put an additional condiments. You eat it as prepared. Occasionally the chef will tell you, though, you can eat it with a bit of soy sauce, or that it should be.

When that's the case, you're supposed to dip.

www.latimes.com

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to eat sushi

Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you asking ERA.

If you eat sushi prepared by a chef, of course you're not supposed to dip it in soy sauce or put an additional condiments. You eat it as prepared. Occasionally the chef will tell you, though, you can eat it with a bit of soy sauce, or that it should be.

When that's the case, you're supposed to dip.

www.latimes.com

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way to eat sushi

Apparently eating sushi three times a week doesn't make you an expert.
I wonder how snobby you intended to come across.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
If it's good sushi I obey the etiquette but for the takeout stuff I do whatever I want, i.e. too much soy and equal parts wasabi.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
If it's a hand roll I will happily dip it. I have been much more careful with nigiri over the past few years, turning the piece and gently brushing it against the sauce. I have found I enjoy and appreciate it much more this way.

Do what you want, but if you haven't even tried nigiri like this, at least give it a shot. It tastes better when you keep the rice separate from the soy sauce. It's also not as hard to do as you might believe.

Regarding wasabi, I put a mound of it on the side of my soy sauce dish and brush sushi against it before dipping/brushing in soy sauce. I'm not sure if this is "correct" or not, it just works better than trying to mix it.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
considering i only really get veggie maki sushi from the supermarket, i mix the wasabi in with the soy sauce and dip that stuff deep

give me the sauce

then i chomp the whole pile of ginger for dessert hell yeah

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad sushi gets eaten however.

Real ass sushi gets eaten as the chef wants.

Same goes for steaks and other foods. The quality of the food itself dictates how much extra shit goes on it.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you asking ERA.

I've had incredible sushi where I followed the etiquette.

I've eaten at plenty of perfectly serviceable places in the Chicago suburbs where I do whatever.

I've also lived in the middle of nowhere with zero access to sushi unless I wanted to drive an hour or get it from a grocery store.

As a huge sushi fan, I'm happy that people even give it a try, let alone enjoy it. No need to be elitist about it.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I was only talking about OP when he said "super good sushi take out".

Fair enough; I missed that detail. I agree with you, for what it's worth—I was more just thinking back to my own misguided experiences trying to "educate" my family and friends in situations where it really wasn't warranted.