• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you boycott for realsies?

• Kind of. I often don’t have to boycott stuff I’ll really miss out on because I’m was never into it.

Votes: 155 23.0%
  • No. I buy what I want.

Votes: 308 45.6%
  • Yes. I do boycott stuff and it really really sucks because I’m missing out on some awesome stuff.

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not being snarky but I actually kinda lol at the incredulous tone of the op. Though that's probably because I've already 'refined' or smothered my taste in enough layers of preponderance and reflection that as it is I can barely even get myself to pay attention to the things I know I'd like lol...

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. I don't boycott anything. I don't even try to and don't pretend to.
But It gets brought up so often here(especially lately) that I'm legit curious if y'all actually feel some kind of frustration or discomfort when you boycott shit. If it affects you in a meaningful way.
I just think the concept is a lot harder than it actually is and most don't feel that.
If you have to cut ties with a shitty or toxic friendship, do you really miss hanging out with that friend? Life moves on, you find other people to hang out with.

In practice boycotting things really isn't all that different.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Fuck yeah I do. I don't usually long for things I'm boycotting though. I just find something to replace it or forget about it until it's inevitably brought up.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't, no. I vote as often as I am given the opportunity, but I don't stop myself from buying things I like.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its very rare that I boycott something.

The only thing I can think of is the NFL because of how grossed out I was to the reaction of Kaepernick. I was a diehard fan before that. I have not watched it since.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
There are very few things I REALLY, REALLY care about. Most things I can take or leave so if they do something egregious I have no problem boycotting them.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but Brand New. I'll still keep Michael Jackson on, Bowie, Led Zeppelin, watch Rosemary's Baby. But I can't bring myself to get back into them or separate art from artist. I guess because I felt more of a personal connection to them for so long as I was growing up.

What's the deal with Brand New? I'm genuinely asking because i just recently got into their music and don't really know much about them.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the grand scheme of things Blizzard's games don't matter in my life, I vote "yes and it doesn't suck because there are plenty of other awesome things in life"

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. But if D4 has Druid and it is awesome it could be painful. Current Blizzard probably can't make a Diablo game worth playing anyway.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Somewhere between No and kind of. I could probably count the number of brands I've boycotted on one hand, and they were stuff I could have gone without anyway.

I voted no though.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i swore i would never pay to play online on consoles and i still haven't

it not hard for me not to play online though

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Yes? I'm an optimist, so I would definitely miss the good times. Friendship implies that there was, at one time or another, good times.
Optimist or not, there's a point where if someone's negatively impacting my life and well-being, I'm not going to miss their presence. Yeah, if times used to be great, that kinda sucks, but again, life goes on.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
I wouldn't consider myself any kind of die-hard activist, but I do generally avoid patronising certain companies because of this or that social/ethical reason. Considering just how much of an absolute saturation the modern consumer experiences in choice it's relatively easy, except of course in the case of monopolies.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I no longer give Amazon or Wal-Mart any of my money. It kind of sucks because they are the two easiest sources to get a lot of what I need at the cheapest price, but the upside is it has led to me truly re-evaluating whether or not I need something before I buy it.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely do.

I haven't experienced a Dragon Quest game since 7 because of Sugiyama, I haven't seen a Polanksi film since The Ninth Gate even though I think he is a fantastic filmmaker, I've never eaten at a Chick-Fil-A.

Capitalism makes everything and everyone complicit in something terrible, and my 'boycotting' is all very, very minor in the grand scheme of things, but as far as I am concerned if you can't even do the barest of minimum like 'Don't watch the films of a rapist' or 'Don't eat at the restaurant that hates gay people' you are really showing yourself to have no moral standards at all.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Its mostly unintentional for me. Lots of stuff I like either doesn't exist anymore or are particulary niche and there's really few big things I like or use that have that kind of sway, like McDonalds or Amazon. That's not to say that the industries I consume from daily don't do major economical, social, and/or ecological damage like consumer electronics, e-commerce, entertainment, and food production, but the more popular stuff like Chik-fil-a and, recently, Activision-Blizzard are "easy" to avoid because I only consumed from them once or twice and wasn't a fan to begin with.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes. I boycotted (though idk if you'd call it a boycott or just outright abandoned) Channel Awesome and Jontron when all that shit came out. I saw that thing on The Wall that everyone's talking about but I'm unsubbed and no longer go in every week for the videos like I used to I only consider things that I use regularly and stop using a boycott. I don't consider myself to be boycotting Apple right now because I don't use any Apple products so I don't credit myself with that, and if the boycott is easy for you then it's also probably worthless because you didn't interact with the company in the first place

The boycotts against the companies acquiescing to the CCP are interesting though because their actions are expected and I assumed everyone just looked down at their feet whenever something happened due to the insane logistics of attempting to boycott every company that would do that

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I really don't want to support Apple and Google. I'm trying my hardest to avoid their stuff. I've switched to Bing as my default search but I'm not sure if MS is really the answer. I'm trying. Not sure if it's enough. I really wanted the new COD, but I won't support Activision with their no political BS.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I buy what I want and most people do too.

I think the only thing I'm actually actively boycotting is Wayfair for supplying furniture for the child detention camps.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Sure I do. Games, Epic, Chik-fil-a, Nestle whereever possible, more and more fast fashion stuff, etc. Some are things I'd really like, some are just things I make an effort to ever try. Some are backed by heinous people, some just by people/practices that I don't like. Not everyone who does this have the time to broadcast it.

There's plenty of things I'd like to avoid buying, but it isn't always possible. It's an ongoing effort, not a box to check off.

Also, while it's true that there are lots of hypocrites out there, we all are in some ways and calling them out doesn't add to your personality. Food for thought.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't buy many things in the first place. I live a pretty minimalist, low expense life. The only thing I really feel like I can't forego is owning a smartphone. And I do buy Nike shoes sometimes, but usually used lol.

Regardless, you don't have to be a boycott purist. Giving shitty companies less money is still helpful towards making them change or bringing them down.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a lot of stuff I like when it comes to brands, but I wouldn't consider them boycott, I don't have a laundry list of companies either for ones I should avoid.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I have every intention to usually but I have a relatively weak ability to follow through, especially if it's something I've been waiting for. Working on getting better at it.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure boycotting blizzard will be my first real test of this, as I've never really boycotted something I really liked before

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, technically no, but that's more because by the time I boycott something, it's fallen pretty far off my favorites and into the shitlist for me.

Oct 29, 2017
The thing is anyone can say anything on here.

"I'm so angry at XYZ I'm boycotting Call of Duty!"

Maybe you've never played Call of Duty before and you never were going to buy it in the first place. Or maybe you pre-ordered the game 5 minutes after writing that post. I can't know.

It's just not worth anything when it's an anonymous internet post.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I boycott tons of stuff and stick to it. There's so much stuff out there that there's always a replacement. Chicken sandwiches, pasta, home repair tools, etc. Shopping and eating local really makes things easier.

Oct 28, 2017
Not in any real sense. I haven't been to Chick-Fil-A since the anti-LGBT stuff came out. But it's not because I have any delusions of fighting the good fight or whatever. It's just momentum at this point and it's not like their food is going to pull me back in. If I want 3rd rate fast food, I can go elsewhere.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Outright boycott? No. There are enough assholes and bigots out there that just about every product is probably tied to something bad, we just don't know it yet.

That said, if it hits close to people I care about, I'll consider it. For example, for many generations, my family lived in Essex county (ontario, Canada). So much of the community was tied to the tomato farmers that supplied the Heinz plant in Leamington. Lots of people worked at the plant, or the farms, or something that supported the farms and the plant. One day the plant closed shop and moved south of the boarder, which put an awful lot of people out of work.

Another company took over the Heinz plant and French's started buying their output to make ketchup. While I've never outright boycotted Heinz, if I'm given the choice, I take French's every time to support the community