• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 17, 2018
Today, the demo for Ys IX: Monstrum Nox released on PS4, and, once I saw those 15 letters strung together consecutively in a Resetera thread title, my brain finally broke. What the fuck is that name? None of those are words. None of them. (edit: OK some of them are words!)

I guess it's the ninth game in the Ys series. I say "I guess" because, it might also *not* be the ninth game, since I've also seen games called "Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days" which, was apparently not the 179th nor 358th Kingdom Hearts game. Additionally, that game title isn't even pronounced "Kingdom Hearts: Three-fifty-eight divided by Two Days," it's pronounced "Kingdom Hearts: Three-Five-Eight Over Two Days" for reasons beyond my knowledge and, probably, comprehension. Finally, considering the rest of the Ys title, maybe "IX" isn't even the Roman numeral. It could be anything. It could be pronounced "Icks" or something, I dunno. Why not? "Eeze Icks: Monstrum Nox" makes just as much sense to a random series outsider like myself.

Growing up, I became accustomed to games from Japan having absolutely insane titles that tell me nothing about the game, and, it's certainly more interesting to read than "Dragon Game Reborn Revelations" or some boring shit we see from the West. I've been reading titles like these for decades, always shaking my head when I see them, but, this one killed me. I don't know why. There are worse titles like "UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[cl-r]" or "Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel" but, "Ys IX: Monstrum Nox" is the one that did it. I officially cannot anymore.

I'm sure I'm hugely ignorant of the reasons behind a lot of these titles, but, it's gnawing at me now, because it feels like this isn't really a thing in a medium like film, outside of anime. Eastern movies (or, at least the major ones that get promoted in the West) have translated titles like "Audition, "Woman in the Dunes", "Parasite," or "Fireworks." Which, ultimately led me to my question here, do Western game titles sound just as ridiculous to Eastern audiences as their titles do to Western audiences?

Does a title like "The Last of Us Part II" or "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla" make sense to a random person in Japan? Do Western titles get equally bizarre translations? Please help me understand.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I love these kinds of threads
how does the translation work for "Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α"

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War sounds bad in every language

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I love these kinds of threads
how does the translation work for "Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α"
I mean, I know it was developed in Vancouver, but that game was published by Capcom and the name was written to parody how ridiculous Capcom fighting game titles were.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Edit: Never mind, was confusing romance and germanic

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am sure titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Immortals Fenyx Rising are just as nonsensical and funny to non-native English speakers as those kinds of titles are to us.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Although I agree that the Ys title may sound silly, all of the words are actually words lol. Just not English ones.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
There's a DS game called Touch Dic, so I'm sure there's plenty of Western titles that sound insane even to Western audiences.

EDIT: As it turns out, not Western-developed

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
OP didn't even bring up the names for light novels. I'm guessing the penchant for longer names comes from the fact that you can fit a lot more words in Japanese in the same space you might fit one or two in English. A lot of them are intentionally goofy, but others are by happenstance. Monstrum Nox doesn't strike me as odd, though.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
If by those aren't words you mean english words then sure i guess. Those are definitely words tho, words that you can translate to any language.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
i can't handle any game titles that don't include epic, legends, duty, battle, or war

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
That title shouldn't be complete nonsense to you; the language we're all writing in derives much of its vocabulary from it. Wanna take a wild guess at what "Monstrum" could possibly mean?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just kind of amused that that's the name of all names that broke you lol.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
My favourite vide game related name ever is not even a video game but a console: FM Towns Marty, what the actual fuck.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It's "Three-Five-Eight Days Over Two" not what you said, and it actually does make sense in context honestly. The game takes place over 358 Days focused on two people in particular. It's not the most egregiously confusing game name but also Latin isn't that confusing when put into a game title to me either.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Monstrum Nox is latin

means night monster

or like an omen, or an unnatural or bad thing in general
Google gives "Monster Night", but I think it's biased toward respecting word order. And anyway this is typical fake Latin where it's just two nominative-case nouns mashed together. I suspect they wanted to say something like "Night of Monsters" but didn't like how "Monstrorum Nox" sounded.

Also, "IX" is just a Roman numeral. So literally the only word that doesn't mean anything is "Ys", but that's the name of the series, which is in-universe the name of some important thing or other.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
OP didn't even bring up the names for light novels. I'm guessing the penchant for longer names comes from the fact that you can fit a lot more words in Japanese in the same space you might fit one or two in English. A lot of them are intentionally goofy, but others are by happenstance. Monstrum Nox doesn't strike me as odd, though.
Your Title Here: ~Now Put Some Shit in Tildes~

But that's more of a VN thing. I don't know who started this trend, but I want to fucking smack them.

The light novel trend of going I'm Putting the Entire Fucking Plot of my Book In the Title so that it Catches Attention at a Glance seems more like a clickbait/attention grabbing thing, similar to how so many western books put swear words in their titles now. It makes your book stand out among dozens of others, even though the practice is stupid in all other respects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
You kinda picked a bad example to base the thread on then, since there's nothing wrong with that title. You said none of them were words but they are all words (and a number.)

Jesus, I only used it as a jumping off point to provide context for the main question of the thread.

Sorry to all my Latin experts out there.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Google gives "Monster Night", but I think it's biased toward respecting word order. And anyway this is typical fake Latin where it's just two nominative-case nouns mashed together. I suspect they wanted to say something like "Night of Monsters" but didn't like how "Monstrorum Nox" sounded.
yeah its definitely not proper, even my rusty ass can tell that

genitive case is hard i guess

i was leaning towards monster of the night as the intent, but yeah its impossible to know with what they did

ive never played the game so maybe part of the plot could shed light on it. or it has nothing to do with anything and they just thought it sounded cool, strong possibility

another edit:

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox takes place in the "prison city" of Balduq. The city was recently annexed by the Romun Empire and Adol finds himself imprisoned there. In prison, a mysterious woman named Aprilis turns him into a Monstrum, a being with supernatural Gifts and the power to exorcise monsters. Adol teams up with other Monstrums to fight against the creatures emerging from a dimension called the Grimwald Nox and to investigate the Monstrum curse and its relation to Balduq.

yeah its just random grabbing of words they thought sounded good
The words being real or not isn't the premise of the thread.
the op said:
None of those are words. None of them.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Immortals Fenyx Rising are just as nonsensical and funny to non-native English speakers as those kinds of titles are to us.

I mean, I don't think there's anything particularly nonsensical about Immortals Fenyx Rising. Spelling it Fenyx instead of Phoenix is awkward and looks dumb, but as a whole it's a pretty straightforward title.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Nothing makes you realize how shitty the English language is like learning another language. Simple stuff like "aunt on my mom's side" in Swedish is "mothersister" and in Spanish if you see a brand new word, you know how to pronounce it. If people find English-titled games confusing, then it makes complete sense to me.

Nov 1, 2017
yeah its definitely not proper, even my rusty ass can tell that

genitive case is hard i guess
By the premise of the thread surely it's clear that I'm referring to the entire argument, right? There are a number of examples in the OP that describe what they're getting at. If someone read the OP in it's entirety I think it's clear that this is a discussion about naming conventions and their perception in different markets, instead the first two posts are "ackshually those are real words".

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Nothing makes you realize how shitty the English language is like learning another language. Simple stuff like "aunt on my mom's side" in Swedish is "mothersister" and in Spanish if you see a brand new word, you know how to pronounce it. If people find English-titled games confusing, then it makes complete sense to me.

You could always just say Mother's Sister in English too, though. Your pronunciation bit is spot on, though.

May 19, 2020
'haha this japanese game title sure sounds weird!' always smacked a bit of linguistic ethnocentrism and add to that english being extremely difficult for non-english speakers to learn due to its stupid nonsensical rules compared to other languages

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I feel like Guilty Gear deserves to be in this thread, with titles like Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R and
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
To me Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r] takes the cake for dumb titles that is throwing a bunch of English words together.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You could always just say Mother's Sister in English too, though. Your pronunciation bit is spot on, though.
I think if I ever said "mother's sister" in an English conversation, though, the other person would say, "you mean your aunt?" because while it's correct, most people just wouldn't say that.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
By the premise of the thread surely it's clear that I'm referring to the entire argument, right? There are a number of examples in the OP that describe what they're getting at. If someone read the OP in it's entirety I think it's clear that this is a discussion about naming conventions and their perception in different markets, instead the first two posts are "ackshually those are real words".
90% of the post is just 'dont these just sound weird' followed by three sentences asking about english titles being translated that seem to be thrown in after they released it was a just a rant about things that are different and had no purpose

responding with 'eh thats not that weird heres why' i would think is more useful than the actual answer which is get over it and not be so judgmental just because the title seems odd to you

if they really wanted the thread to be about how western titles get translated they could have spent approximately 2 minutes googling for examples and then posting them and asking for more. and condensing the longwinded paragraphs to simply: "UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[cl-r] sure seems to break a lot of naming traditions in the west". or maybe specifically asking non native speakers how english titles end up reading to them

for example after literally 30 seconds on wikipedia i learned that the last of us part 2 has a completely french title (edit actually it seems they just translated this for the wikipedia page not for marketing), they left it in english for spanish, and in italian they left the 'last of us' in english but translated the part 2 part. see thats neat! it could be fun to talk about

Last edited: