• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Sony: Please continue to buy the pulse headset. We will let you know 2 weeks before launch that it isn't necessary for 3D audio.

Thats how it seems to me and honestly from a business point of view leave it as is. If they weren't selling any I would guarantee they would come out and talk about the benefits of any given hardware.

Yeah. I think this is like Netflix calibrated mode on their tvs (which is a wash to me, but good for marketing.)

The 3D sound works with any headphones, but their headset might get a bit of extra tuning since they have it in house. It might perform better than its price point, but it's not going to dethrone quality headphones at that price.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
So compatible on any stereo headphones? Isn't that obvious?

They certainly wouldn't say all headsets as you can't use bluetooth headset on the console.

I appreciate your answer, but you're just guessing and equally likely to be wrong as you are right.

I know that if I plug my headset into my controller I will get Spatial 3D audio. What I want confirmation on is that I will get Spatial 3D audio when used wirelessly.
They have a brand new headset that offers nothing more than their existing PS4 headsets yet it is advertised as the 3D headset for PS5.

We know that we should be able to use our PS4 controllers on PS5 games likes Miles Morales and Horizon but Sony artificially block us from doing so. It's not a stretch to wonder if they may block PS4 headsets from receiving a Spatial 3D audio mix wirelessly because they are PS4 headsets not the PS5 headset.

I just want clarity from Sony. The fact they can say not all headsets support Spatial 3D audio and then fail to provide any actual detail behind that weeks before the console launch is infuriating and something we shouldn't be accepting or guessing what they actually mean.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I pre-ordered the Pulse headset, but I kinda wish it was 5.1 for movies. I'm not sure if I should look out for a 5.1 headsets instead or stick with the Pulse headset and see if Sony releases a 5.1 headset down the line.

Are all 5.1 and 7.1 headsets all virtual surround sound anyways?
It's a similar concept, most gaming headsets either support dolby headphone or DTSX headphone, but the actual headset is just a stereo headset. The processing is either done on the base unit or some have the hardware inside the headset. Xbox one this gen had hardware built in for audio processing, so you could buy a atmos or DTS license and get good audio to any stereo headset. The PS4 didn't have anything like that.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I did the ear picture thing on my XM3s, but I don't have any compatible apps that take advantage of the feature to test the results. I'm hoping this means I can get wireless 3D sound with them on the PS5, but I guess I'll see what happens.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
I appreciate your answer, but you're just guessing and equally likely to be wrong as you are right.

I know that if I plug my headset into my controller I will get Spatial 3D audio. What I want confirmation on is that I will get Spatial 3D audio when used wirelessly.
They have a brand new headset that offers nothing more than their existing PS4 headsets yet it is advertised as the 3D headset for PS5.

We know that we should be able to use our PS4 controllers on PS5 games likes Miles Morales and Horizon but Sony artificially block us from doing so. It's not a stretch to wonder if they may block PS4 headsets from receiving a Spatial 3D audio mix wirelessly because they are PS4 headsets not the PS5 headset.

I just want clarity from Sony. The fact they can say not all headsets support Spatial 3D audio and then fail to provide any actual detail behind that weeks before the console launch is infuriating and something we shouldn't be accepting or guessing what they actually mean.
It's not a guess.
We've already being briefed,
The Tempest engine does all the audio processing and feeds audio to the headset you have plugged in (wireless/DS) that is compatible with the PS5. It's that simple.

They are advertising a product and you are extrapolating this:
it's not a stretch to wonder if they may block PS4 headsets from receiving a Spatial 3D audio mix wirelessly because they are PS4 headsets not the PS5 headset.
That is your guess.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point Cerny made in the presentation was that anyone can enjoy PS5's 3D audio without special equipment. Why would they force specific headphones on you?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Cerny said in March that it works with any stereo headset. All the processing is done on the PS5.

Well thanks to this thread, you've all saved me £80 on launch haha.

I thought you needed special 3d of 7.1 headsets to get 3d audio to work as intended. Ive got some really nice and comfortable seinheiser 450t's or whatever so good to know I can just plug them into the headset for it to work

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Well thanks to this thread, you've all saved me £80 on launch haha.

I thought you needed special 3d of 7.1 headsets to get 3d audio to work as intended. Ive got some really nice and comfortable seinheiser 450t's or whatever so good to know I can just plug them into the headset for it to work
Yup, no special equipment or headphones necessary 👍

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's not a guess.
We've already being briefed,
The Tempest engine does all the audio processing and feeds audio to the headset you have plugged in (wireless/DS) that is compatible with the PS5. It's that simple.

They are advertising a product and you are extrapolating this:

That is your guess.
We haven't been briefed that spatial 3D audio will transmit wirelessly on PS4 headsets. If we have you need to start offering up some links.

It should work, but now they're telling us some headsets aren't compatible and not telling us why or which ones.

You're right, I am guessing in that "here's why this might be an issue" scenario and have said that anyone who claims to know what is the actual situation is as well - hence why every post in here from me is pretty much saying we need Sony to clarify.
We know they artificially stop PS4 controllers from working, why are you so sure they won't put limitations on other PS4 accessories?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
You guys complain that Sony isn't releasing much info but everytime they do it you go and misinterpret stuff, make things up, create weird assumptions...

The Cerny presentation was clear about almost all PS4 games working on PS5 and 3d audio working on any headset on launch, yet people keep doubting them.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
You guys complain that Sony isn't releasing much info but everytime they do it you go and misinterpret stuff, make things up, create weird assumptions...

The Cerny presentation was clear about almost all PS4 games working on PS5 and 3d audio working on any headset on launch, yet people keep doubting them.
They've literally just said that some headphones won't work with Spatial 3D audio which is a different message from the Cerny presentation. Can you really not see why people might want some clarity on what they mean by that?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
We haven't been briefed that spatial 3D audio will transmit wirelessly on PS4 headsets. If we have you need to start offering up some links.

It should work, but now they're telling us some headsets aren't compatible and not telling us why or which ones.

You're right, I am guessing in that "here's why this might be an issue" scenario and have said that anyone who claims to know what is the actual situation is as well - hence why every post in here from me is pretty much saying we need Sony to clarify.
We k is they artificially stop PS4 controllers from working, why are you so sure they won't put limitations on other PS4 accessories?
Man, Seems like you really want to convince yourself it wouldn't.
okay, go buy the pulse headset then.
For obvious reasons, we all know bluetooth headset wont work. they can't really go posting all headsets when those wouldn't work with the PS5.
We k is they artificially stop PS4 controllers from working, why are you so sure they won't put limitations on other PS4 accessories?
By your logic, they might as well prevent people from simply plugging in headphones and having 3D audio.

The info is there. do as you will.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I thought they were clear on this. It should work with any headphones you can connect to the console. For other things, like TVs (this is maybe already done) and hi-fi systems, it's a work in progress.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
They've literally just said that some headphones won't work with Spatial 3D audio which is a different message from the Cerny presentation. Can you really not see why people might want some clarity on what they mean by that?
The PS5 sends your headphones a stereo signal. That's it. Can your headphones play back stereo sound? As long as you can pair them with the system (for example, the PS4 doesn't work with Bluetooth headphones), you're good.

It really is as simple as that.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Man, Seems like you really want to convince yourself it wouldn't.
okay, go buy the pulse headset then.

For obvious reasons, we all know bluetooth headset wont work. they can't really go posting all headsets when those wouldn't work with the PS5.

By your logic, they might as well prevent people from simply plugging in headphones and having 3D audio.

The info is there. do as you will.

It seems like you really want to defend Sony here instead of just saying "yeah, that's a bit rubbish, Sony really should be clear about this stuff".

I actually tried to buy the Pulse 3D headset after the news broke :D but it's out of stock where I live :(

They can simply come out and state that Bluetooth headphones won't support Spatial 3D audio. It's not hard and would actually achieve most what I'm asking for. But they haven't. Why's that then?

The info isn't there, you saying it is doesn't make it so. Hence, again, we need clarity on this. You don't need to defend Sony from little old me, I'm just asking for more information after they released a statement stating not all headphones work with Spatial 3D audio.

You haven't answered my question btw, what gives you all this confidence that all PS4 headsets will get full PS5 feature support?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
The PS5 sends your headphones a stereo signal. That's it. Can your headphones play back stereo sound? As long as you can pair them with the system (for example, the PS4 doesn't work with Bluetooth headphones), you're good.

It really is as simple as that.
Yes, I know exactly how it works thank you. What I'm asking for is clarity on what they mean when they say not all headphones are compatible.

Oct 27, 2017
It is just stereo. As long as your equipment doesn't distort the sound in a big way it should work whatever you pass it through.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017

Nah, it will work with every compatible headset.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Nah, it will work with every compatible headset.
😂
That's why I'm asking more clarity on which headsets aren't compatible. Clearly some aren't, which ones and why? I'd like Sony to provide that info instead of some well meaning folk on here making a guess.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Sony: Please continue to buy the pulse headset. We will let you know 2 weeks before launch that it isn't necessary for 3D audio.

Thats how it seems to me and honestly from a business point of view leave it as is. If they weren't selling any I would guarantee they would come out and talk about the benefits of any given hardware.

Yep. The way they are handling it right now seems intentional to enhance the appeal of their Pulse headset. All marketing. Seems to be working as most people I've spoken with think you need the Pulse to get the 3D audio capabilities.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I know exactly how it works thank you. What I'm asking for is clarity on what they mean when they say not all headphones are compatible.

For the same reason the back of some DVDs and Blu-rays have a variation on the phrase: "Some features may not be available on some players." It's just a disclaimer to cover their butts, like I've mentioned to you earlier. No company is going to claim 100% compatibility with 100% of equipment.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
It seems like you really want to defend Sony here instead of just saying "yeah, that's a bit rubbish, Sony really should be clear about this stuff".

I actually tried to buy the Pulse 3D headset after the news broke :D but it's out of stock where I live :(

They can simply come out and state that Bluetooth headphones won't support Spatial 3D audio. It's not hard and would actually achieve most what I'm asking for. But they haven't. Why's that then?

The info isn't there, you saying it is doesn't make it so. Hence, again, we need clarity on this. You don't need to defend Sony from little old me, I'm just asking for more information after they released a statement stating not all headphones work with Spatial 3D audio.

You haven't answered my question btw, what gives you all this confidence that all PS4 headsets will get full PS5 feature support?
Are you here about sony's clarity or to know if you should buy the headset or not?
The answer to the latter is what i've been posting about and relaying information that's months old to you != defend sony

They have a social media go ask them.

The info is there, you just choose to be selective about it.

here's why

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

We know they artificially stop PS4 controllers from working, why are you so sure they won't put limitations on other PS4 accessories?

Let's make it simple:

Does your headset work with PS5?
Does your headset receive stereo audio?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, congratulations you are ready for 3D audio on PS5.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Are you here about sony's clarity or to know if you should buy the headset or not?
I thought it was obvious since I state it in almost every message. CLARITY.
The answer to the latter is what i've been posting about and relaying information that's months old to you != defend sony
look, I appreciate your effort but I already know that information. I want clarity on the information published this week which was ambiguous.
They have a social media go ask them.
Funnily enough I did, waiting on the response. Will let you know what they say, if they respond.
The info is there, you just choose to be selective about it.
the info from months ago I already know, the info from this week is ambiguous. You refuse to accept that it should be clarified by the company making the statement. They're not your friend, it's ok to say that something they do isn't great.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The Sony Pulse 3D headset will be the "best" way to experience PS5 audio just as a Sony Bravia TV will be the "best" way to experience PS5 video

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
😂
That's why I'm asking more clarity on which headsets aren't compatible. Clearly some aren't, which ones and why? I'd like Sony to provide that info instead of some well meaning folk on here making a guess.

The Dual Sense had a 3.5mm out so any headphone with a cable. They confirmed USB headphones work as well. There is no optical port out so that is a no go.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Let's make it simple:

Does your headset work with PS5?
Does your headset receive stereo audio?

If you answered yes to both of these questions, congratulations you are ready for 3D audio on PS5.
The clarity I want is which headsets aren't compatible, your simple process flow doesn't answer that. I love your confidence and I would have said the exact same thing last week but this week they said some headphones aren't compatible so your process flow doesn't work anymore.

All I'm asking for is clarity on which headphones don't work

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The audio actually goes from my console to my TV and from my TV's headphone out to my receiver, then from receiver to headphones. But yeah I've never had an issue with stereo sound.

Honestly i don´t think that this will work. i am suspecting that it will only work with headphones directly plugged into the controller.

Sony should give a blog post on that, this whole 3D audio feature is another thing which needs further clarifying.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
The Dual Sense had a 3.5mm out so any headphone with a cable. They confirmed USB headphones work as well. There is no optical port out so that is a no go.
Thanks well meaning person on a Forum. I want clarification from Sony, not guesses (you might be right, but it's down to Sony to confirm not you)

wait, unless you work for Sony? Can you confirm you work for Sony and this is the official clarification on their statement.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It seems a little odd to create a forum thread looking for clarification only to then dismiss any clarification by saying you want to hear it from Sony as if Sony is a member of this forum.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It seems a little odd to create a forum thread looking for clarification only to then dismiss any clarification by saying you want to hear it from Sony as if Sony is a member of this forum.
*sigh*
I guess that's aimed at me? I'm not OP.
I didn't create a thread looking for clarification. I said Sony should clarify.

No-one here thinks Sony is a member of this forum. Well I hope not, that'd be stupid

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Thanks well meaning person on a Forum. I want clarification from Sony, not guesses (you might be right, but it's down to Sony to confirm not you)

wait, unless you work for Sony? Can you confirm you work for Sony and this is the official clarification on their statement.
clearly you just want attention, bye

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
*sigh*
I guess that's aimed at me? I'm not OP.
I didn't create a thread looking for clarification. I said Sony should clarify.

No-one here thinks Sony is a member of this forum. Well I hope not, that'd be stupid

You're right - apologies to the OP. Ultimately I don't think anything anyone could possibly post in this thread is going to satisfy you.

The whole point of the tempest audio situation is that the complicated bits are happening on the PS5 itself. You won't need a special headset for it unless Sony is going out of their way to piss people off. Hell, in Cernys presentation he talks of their intention to achieve 3D audio through stereo TV speakers too.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
You're right - apologies to the OP. Ultimately I don't think anything anyone could possibly post in this thread is going to satisfy you.
Post clarification from sony, that would satisfy me.

I find it extremely weird that a whole bunch of folk have jumped on me for saying Sony need to clarify what they meant.
That's not normal.

I know the pandemic has been hard on everyone but asking for clarity on an ambiguous statement made weeks before a console launch is something we all be agreeing is a reasonable thing. Instead the Sony Defence Force has engaged and I'm public enemy number 1 in this thread.

That's weird and a little disturbing.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Of course it will work. It's a stereo signal. This tech is ancient. It's just new ways of processing the signal.

The shitty Sony headsets will work just like any other that work on the system.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
PSVR's 3D audio works with any set of headphones you connect to the headset. Same will be true here, I imagine.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

So are you waiting for someone from Sony to directly come into this thread and answer your question? I doubt that's going to happen. Being dismissive about the answers people are giving you isn't going to get you anywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i don´t think that this will work. i am suspecting that it will only work with headphones directly plugged into the controller.

Sony should give a blog post on that, this whole 3D audio feature is another thing which needs further clarifying.
But why? They put all this effort into audio and then it has to be transmitted over bluetooth before you hear it? That's ridiculous. I can listen to a demonstration of 3D audio on youtube with my current setup. Why would this implementation be different? It's a simulation of sound in space that is designed to work with standard stereo headphones. The audio equipment chain shouldn't matter.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
So are you waiting for someone from Sony to directly come into this thread and answer your question? I doubt that's going to happen. Being dismissive about the answers people are giving you isn't going to get you anywhere.
No, absolutely not. I even took it upon myself to contact them directly and ask them for clarity.

What you're seeing is some well meaning folk trying to show that the statement isn't ambiguous and we already have the answer and me responding that we don't and it'd be really super if Sony could actually clarify the statement.
Pointing out that actually Sony has already established a bad pattern for supporting PS4 accessories and that information we had months ago might not line up with statements made days ago and we should really expect clarity can been seen as dismissive, I understand that, but wow, this place has really weird reactions to anything that presents Sony in a less than perfect light. It's weird and disturbing.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I'm on the same boat. I have the Platinum wireless headset which is more expensive than the Pulse 3D.

But the Pulse is supposed to be better? Or the Platinum will give me all the Tempest audio thingy goodness?