• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about remakes because RE3 and FF7R just were released and there's rumors of remakes of Mario 64 and RE4 coming (though the RE4 rumors seem stronger). I'm not pleased with the trend of remakes in most cases (especially RE4), but we're in a remake focused time so let's talk about these two games that have been frequently requested for remakes.

Chrono Trigger and FF6 are highly praised SNES RPGs a great many people have tons of nostalgia for. The treatment from Square Enix has been a little questionable for both games. Chrono Trigger got a fine DS port with additional content and FF6 was ported fine on the Wii virtual console (and the JPN WiiU virtual console though no other region) and SNES Classic. However, the other versions have critiqued a great deal. The PS1 ports were criticized for having very long load times. The PC port of FF6 is a mobile port with very bad sprite work and pretty terrible controls. The PC port of Chrono Trigger was criticized as well at first before Square changed the sprites due to fan outcry.

With Octopath Traveler looking pretty and doing not badly at all (probably 1.5m to 2m sold), many have speculated that an FF6 remake could look like Octopath. Others are thinking the games if remade should be in a more traditional 2010s RPG graphical style. Of course, then the issue of combat system comes into play with FF6's gameplay not being overwhelmingly beloved compared to the other facets of the game and with FF7R being more real time than turn-based.

Do we think that Square will do a major remake of either game in the next decade? If they do, what style of graphics and gameplay would you like them to pursue and what would you expect? I know I made a thread about remaking FF6 before, but that was focused exclusively on story whereas this is focused on gameplay and visuals.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If they do it, they should either use high quality sprites or a more tone down style so they can incorporate the entirety of the game as a single package.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Lol if they remade VI they'd give you a chance to stop Kefka's apocalypse from ever happening, so no I'm good.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Chrono Trigger will get a remake, but it'll be a lower budget one like Trials of Mana because it's not as mainstream as FF.
FF VI I think will be remade as World of Balance and World of Ruin and the demand is there. I guess it will be at least 10 years though.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, I want them to. But they skipped V and VI to do VII so I have no hope

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't spent the last 15 years or so constantly reminding us how cool those FF6 and Chrono Trigger characters are. I just don't see them eager to capitalize on nostalgia that isn't quite there the way it is for FF7.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I think either of those games remade in the style of the upcoming Trials of Mana would be really great.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
They should not do it. Just re-release or release an ideal version of the classic for any platform that doesn't have it.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Chrono Trigger for many reasons would look great if like Dragon Quest XI

I could see VI get the Octopath treatment but would love it in the FF7R style.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Given my impression of FFVII remake, I would prefer SquareEnix stay away from remaking my favorite Final Fantasy (VI) and my favorite SNES game, Chrono Trigger...

Unless they redo FFVI with 0 changes to story/dialogue and simply replace the graphics with something Octopath Traveler style...

I don't trust SE anymore... it's not the same company that made the games i fell in love with in the mid to late 90's.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath team remakes FFVI. That's it. That's the whole thing.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Chrono Trigger is perfect as it is. But I'm really curious to see how they would remake this. Artistically, I think there's no doubt they will copy DQXI. But for the rest, I really don't know. The pace will change so the level design too.

I think they would have less difficulty to do a Chrono Cross remake than a Trigger remake, in my opinion.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
One thing in favor of Chrono Trigger is that they have the Toriyama style in 3D down thanks to Dragon Quest.

Get character modelers from there to do it, while figuring out how to do the combat system in 3D. Amusingly, FF7R's combat might work fairly well with some small changes. Mostly to be able to position the characters manually for AoE techs.

It's also a relatively short game that reuses assets thanks to time traveling to the same areas, so honestly, I could see a Chrono Trigger remake work quite well.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I want a Chrono Trigger remake in the vein of Trials of Mana.

First thing I thought when I saw Trials of Mana is, "They should do this with Chrono Trigger."

Oct 25, 2017
Touch Chrono Trigger!

I'd rather have a bad Chrono Trigger remaster/remake than literally nothing.

Having said that, ideally we'd get Chrono Break.

Aug 10, 2019
I would love to see both of these games remade in the same style as Octopath Traveler but with their original sprites and an orchestral soundtrack. Zero voice acting for either one and Yoshitaka Amano and Akita Toriyama's original art used throughout to accentuate specific characters, places and moments.

Last edited:

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I think Chrono Trigger will get a remake, but it'll be a lower budget one like Trials of Mana because it's not as mainstream as FF.
FF VI I think will be remade as World of Balance and World of Ruin and the demand is there. I guess it will be at least 10 years though.
I think Chrono Trigger is quite a bit more mainstream than the Mana franchise though.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Would be nice to have a version of FFVI that doesn't have a major downside, but that'd be more of a remaster and port than a remake.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Chrono Trigger has one of the most obnoxious fanbases so it's probably a good idea to just leave it alone. Even if they made the perfect game, they would whine and cry upon release.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Just give me straight ports of Trigger and VI (and Tactics and Cross for that matter) on Switch. I don't trust SE to do right remaking any of those games.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I want FF6 done to look like Octopath Traveller, with original sprite assets forming the basis for the visuals.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pray that they won't. It will be a clusterfuck, no doubt about that.

Give me Chrono Trigger DS ported to the Switch / other platforms and I'm good.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think we will get a Chrono Trigger sequel or remake ever at this point, Cross is like 20 years old now.

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, I expect them to remake FFVIII. The characters and the story are prime for Nomura shenanigans. With time travel stuff? Go crazy.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
VIII is a much better choice for a Remake.

Games that are really really old won't be as huge today compared to other games like VII and VIII.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Give me a great modern port before we talk about possible remakes. The Steam version of Chrono Trigger is okay after all the patches but still not ideal.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger is basically still perfect; don't touch it.

I'm more open to FF6 remake, but I'd hope that Square Enix would go for a radical reimagining like they're doing with FF7.