• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

title

• yes

Votes: 347 35.2%
  • no

Votes: 640 64.8%

• Total voters

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
In the middle third of the PS5 reveal event came a long run of obviously smaller games. I was watching the PS5 reveal in party chat with 4/5 other friends and after just a few games this section killed the hype of the conference for like everyone. People started taking toilet breaks, getting snacks and just talking about life, clearly not engaged with what was on display during this time.

Looking at reactions of this event and other conferences it's almost an inevitability that this indie section will pop up, drag on and people will zone out. The E3 2016 Sony conference is held up as their best conference of this gen, and I can't help but feel that a large reason for that is there was no "long indie section" to hurt the pacing. The Xbox reveal event was railed on as a complete disappointment, and guess what it was full of? Yep, smaller games.

I don't mean any disrespect to indie developers by this, but it should be understandable that the mass market that watches these big console conferences would much rather see a run of AAA games than have it interrupted by these smaller games for more dedicated players?

I expect a lot of "but I care about indie games!" responses from a dedicated forum like this, but again, isn't this a thing for the hardcore and not something the public at large are interested in? Hell, even on this forum threads and reactions for AAA games are a hundred times bigger than indie games.

Perhaps it would be better for the conferences' reception if most of these indie games had their own separate showcases? This way they won't be overshadowed by big games, and the dedicated base that buys them would still go out of their way to watch such a showcase. Expectations would be set appropriately and no one would be falling asleep.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Maybe, who cares? Big games don't need extra pr to sell well, so better give it to the small guys.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to say this, but yes. Torpedoed Xbox May event. I was watching PS5 event with friends, and energy levels dropped massively, as we all were waiting for the next big game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It leaves me a little conflicted because when its a cool looking game I want to be hyped but when its from a dev Ive never heard of, theres little to no guarantee it'll be any good.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe evening it out more could help, like instead of all being on section, alternate them between big games.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
They typically make me zone out and feel like it loses all momentum.

Unless the game is actually impressive

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Normally? No. But when you're going to showcase something like "The Future of Gaming". Showing smaller indies and cross gen stuff just doesn't cut it. Get me excited, why do I need to be an early adopter of this new console?

Indies have their place, this industry would suffer horribly without them, I adore and love indie games. But there is a time and place. Nintendo has the right idea of having a separate showcase for them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They always bore me personally but they're there for games that need the exposure. Absolutely nothing wrong with showing off a couple of indie games.

The big thing these kinds of sections need is better pacing. A whole bunch of slow-paced indie games one after the other definitely drags the momentum down.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Yes and No.

Depends entirely of the audience. Of course some people love them and for them Indies may even be more interesting that the AAA games. However, there's a huge audience out there that cares very little of them, and it's not watching this showcase for the indies.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, these shows aren't just for the mass marketable masses. The whole point is they want to try and appeal to as many people as possible, especially since they are trying to sell what is sure to be an expensive piece of hardware this holiday.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
To the kind of people who come to this site, absolutely not. To your average buys 2-3 games a year Fifa/CoD player, Yes.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Idk, Kena and Stray were the most interesting looking games to me at the PS5 event so I can't say I relate at all to this.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
No. It's a nice mixture of resting from big announcements and a rapidfire of little announcements and snippets.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the best approach would be to alternate between them in a more even manner, I actually felt the PS5 show did this pretty well for the most part. It's when you get one pixel art game and then go straight onto another it can start to look samey, even when the games themselves are incredible and varied.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
In these recent press conferences yes.

mum looking to see of the next gen graphics and also the major exclusives.

I also generally think that trailers for indie games are usually poorly done since they never actually show gameplay or the story, camera perspective etc of the games themselves. Just makes me not be able to grab ahold of anything interesting in the game

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
No. If anything, it shows the console has a lot of variety and caters to different audiences. That's always good.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reads to me more like your friends are turds.

OP
OP
TheRulingRing

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
They always bore me personally but they're there for games that need the exposure. Absolutely nothing wrong with showing off a couple of indie games.

The big thing these kinds of sections need is better pacing. A whole bunch of slow-paced indie games one after the other definitely drags the momentum down.

This is like the 2nd time I've agreed with a PlanetSmasher post lol

No more than when they insert Call of Duty. Which is to say, yes, of course lol.

But 30 million people get CoD every year, hardly the same thing.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No. Playstation's conferences got significantly better since they introduced the indie segment. Videogames are so dark nowadays, it's a good palate cleanser to have those smaller games filled with life, colors and music. Besides, if you want new studios to appear and support those developers, they deserve and need to be put on the spotlight every now and then.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, for people who care it's great. for the developers it's exposure. for people who don't give a damn it's a bathroom break.

Everybody wins!

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I don't mean any disrespect to indie developers by this, but it should be understandable that the mass market that watches these big console conferences would much rather see a run of AAA games than have it interrupted by these smaller games for more dedicated players?

I am a) not sure that the mainstream players watch these shows at all. And b), if they do they wanna see CoD and FIFA. Which ERA complains about as well :p

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not for me. Some of the most exciting games come from indie developers and some of the coolest looking games of the PS5 thing were "indies"

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
No.

The way I see it: when the next call of duty, assassin's creed trailer drops it's going to get millions of views anyway. It doesn't need a Sony or MS conference to highlight it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Nah.

But even if they did, they should keep promoting these games in big events.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind them normally, but there were too many on the PS5 reveal event. Indies are nice, but they are hardly a reason to buy a new console. Felt like filler. On the other hand probably a good way to show diversity in the lineup?

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
It leaves me a little conflicted because when its a cool looking game I want to be hyped but when its from a dev Ive never heard of, theres little to no guarantee it'll be any good.

And AAA are surely good! Right Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 76, Battleborn, etc?

I don't mind them normally, but there were too many on the PS5 reveal event. Indies are nice, but they are hardly a reason to buy a new console. Felt like filler. On the other hand probably a good way to show diversity in the lineup?

Funny. I had zero interest in most of the AAA games but almost every single indie or AA game seemed fun to me. Sold me on a PS5.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
To the kind of people who come to this site, absolutely not. To your average buys 2-3 games a year Fifa/CoD player, Yes.

The people who buy the same few games every year aren't who Sony is marketing to anyway. They want to hit as wide a range of people as possible because they want the people who'll give them a high attach rate, especially when there's possibly going to be a hardware shortage. They want people who are going to buy a ton of games to buy the ones that make it onto shelves so they make their money that way.

Pacing is a problem for a lot of the showcases that are filled with trailers in general. They seem to decide on placement based primarily on name recognition of developer or the size of the team instead of considering whether they're putting two really similarly paced trailers back to back.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In these recent press conferences yes.

mum looking to see of the next gen graphics and also the major exclusives.

I also generally think that trailers for indie games are usually poorly done since they never actually show gameplay or the story, camera perspective etc of the games themselves. Just makes me not be able to grab ahold of anything interesting in the game

By and large I actually think indie game trailers are far more likely to show gameplay, because they can't afford to commission several minute long prerendered cinematics.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
This I guess. I'm gonna be real I would take a reveal stream without a single AAA title because I know I'm gonna hear about them anyway. Indie streams actually introduce me to new things I'm not familiar with. But that's a different dynamic from less in-it people who just wanna grab the console and play the big games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pacing is a problem for a lot of the showcases that are filled with trailers in general. They seem to decide on placement based primarily on name recognition of developer or the size of the team instead of instead of considering whether they're putting two really similarly paced trailers back to back.

Exactly. You need to factor in the general energy level of the whole presentation. Having a bunch of trailers that have similar vibes or gameplay structures one after the other is a total pacing killer and these companies should honestly be better at that by now.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That event didn't have a long indie section: it was a indie showcase that Microsoft's social media team foolishly overhyped/misrepresented.
Weren't they all indie games? But yeah, MS definitely screwed up the messaging.

Might be better to have a indie showcase, but given how expensive these AAA games have become, it may not be feasible to have an hour showreel of games. I'd rather we have TLoU2/Ghost of Tsushima style gameplay sections tbh.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
every conference/showcase has its "let me grab a beer" moments whether it's indie or not

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love indie games but when talking about the pacing of a big publisher conference I agree.

The E3 2016 Sony conference is held up as their best conference of this gen, and I can't help but feel that a large reason for that is there was no "long indie section" to hurt the pacing. The Xbox reveal event was railed on as a complete disappointment, and guess what it was full of? Yep, smaller games.
Basically this

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
every conference/showcase has its "let me grab a beer" moments whether it's indie or not

Any time a sports game shows up at a conference I know I'm safe to go to the bathroom because it's going to get like two or three straight minutes of focus despite looking exactly the same as the previous year's installment.

OP
OP
TheRulingRing

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Reads to me more like your friends are turds.

No, they're normal people, unlike you apparently.

I am a) not sure that the mainstream players watch these shows at all. And b), if they do they wanna see CoD and FIFA. Which ERA complains about as well :p

Surely it can't be argued this PS5 event is not a mainstream event. You don't get these kinds of views without it being something of interest to the general public.