• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Already one of the best library for platformers ?

• Yes, already the best

Votes: 76 31.7%
  • Yes, it is in the top 3

Votes: 75 31.3%
  • No, but it is going to be

Votes: 23 9.6%
  • No, and it is not even close

Votes: 66 27.5%

• Total voters

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is going to be 3 years old in a few weeks and it already has a really varied and rich platformer library :

Super Mario Odyssey (MC 97)

H2x1_NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey.jpg

A delight and the feeling of controlling Mario in 3D has never felt better.

Celeste (MC 92)

Celeste

Probably the greatest surprise of 2018 which got the game to be nominated for GOTY. Tightly designed and a moving story.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (MC 86)

H2x1_NSwitch_DonkeyKongCountryTropicalFreeze_image1600w.jpg

Perfect level design and astounding soundtrack, Retro delivered once again with arguably one of the best 2D platformer ever made

Sonic Mania Plus (MC 91)

H2x1_NSwitchDS_SonicMania_image1600w.jpg

The best Sonic game since a very long time and a great achievement of modernising the 2D Sonic formula.

Other noteworthy games (among others) :

- Ori and the Blind Forest (MC 89)
- Super Mario Maker 2 (MC 88)
- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (MC 91)
- Rayman Legends (MC 84)

Honorable mentions :
- New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (MC 80)
- Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (MC 79)
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy (MC 79)
- Yoshi's Crafted World (MC 79)
- Crash Bandicoot N'sane Trilogy (MC 78)

So do you think the Switch has already one of the best library for platformers (in quality and variety) ?

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my switch lite because of all the platformers. It's a dream machine for someone like me.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nintendo's been killing it since the Wii brought back Super Mario Bros. really, and they just keep topping themselves, so it's not much of a surprise.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Yes it do. For me my Switch is a Platforming and Puzzle game dream come true.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Can people saying "No and it is not even close" could elaborate ? It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the subject.

Oct 25, 2017
It has both the best 3D (Super Mario Odyssey) and two best 2D (SMB3 and soon Sonic 2) platformers all-time playable on it right now, plus a couple of top-25 all-time platformers (DKC: TF, Rayman Legends) and some good stuff besides those in the genre.

It is missing quite a bit of older great stuff, though, like SM64, Runner 2, Rayman Origins. I wouldn't be shocked if the WiiU had the better overall back catalog.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
3D World will be a great addition to the library too, especially if there is some additionnal content.

Feels like both the 3D and the 2D platformers are both blossoming which was not the case on several strong platformers platforms.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Can people saying "No and it is not even close" could elaborate ? It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the subject.
For me it's simple. The console is still young and comparatively there is simply much more platformers in past consoles excluding BC and remasters. Give it time. Maybe it will have the best, maybe it won't I'm not a fortune teller so I can't really pick "it will be in the future".

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's simple. The console is still young and comparatively there is simply much more platformers in past consoles excluding BC and remasters. Give it time. Maybe it will have the best, maybe it won't I'm not a fortune teller so I can't really pick "it will be in the future".
Which platforms do you have in mind ? I really feel like very few consoles had this good blend of 2D and 3D platformers tbh.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I wouldn't say so, if you count the ports as ports. I can't really give credit to it for having DKTF, for example, when that was originally a Wii U game. That's not really fair to the original console. The only original exclusive platformer it has is Mario Odyssey, and that was seriously underwhelming for me. It has some third party ones too, like Impossible Lair or Crash trilogy remake, but you can also find those on other consoles, so they aren't really points for the Switch.

I guess you can say that yes, the Switch technically has a big library of platformers, but most can also be found on other systems.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
SNES is the ultimate in my case
Maybe some new DKC games and mario games will put it over the top, I adore odyssey enough to give it extra points but I need way more than ports
In terms of the ports, I've played most all these games on other platforms, so people who have NEVER touched a majority of the games before may see switch as the ultimate platformer system, which is understandable
Also as mentioned, I really hate the Dpad on both first party controllers

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't use Metacritic to measure the greatness of platformers, but anyway, the only game on this list that is only on Switch is Super Mario Odyssey, which is great. I guess the Switch is possibly one of the best handheld consoles for platformers, but just considering indie games alone, I would say that you might get similar value with a PS4 or even an Xbox One. The PC is matchless in this regard, since you have an almost infinite supply of amazing indie games.
The original Switch, with its garbage D-pad, is a tough sell, but the Lite is probably the best handheld platformer machine indeed. Just needs even more 2D goodness.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

The majority of the games you listed are available on other systems. Sure, the Switch has a lockdown on Nintendo first party stuff, but if you want to go for just sheer number of good platformers available, then PC and Xbox One with backwards compatibility have it beat on a numbers game. Open up the conversation to include emulation on PC and it's not even close.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't use Metacritic to measure the greatness of platformers, but anyway, the only game on this list that is only on Switch is Super Mario Odyssey, which is great. I guess the Switch is possibly one of the best handheld consoles for platformers, but just considering indie games alone, I would say that you might get similar value with a PS4 or even an Xbox One. The PC is matchless in this regard, since you have an almost infinite supply of amazing indie games.
I didn't understand you sentence on the PS4/XB1. Since the Switch has a similiar support of indie platforms than those, then it has a best library since Nintendo releases great platformer too. PS4 is also missing Ori for example.

Thanks to its back catalogue, PC is impressive indeed but I don't think any recent great indie platformer is skipping the Switch these days.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Probably yea.

getting an original 2D mario and original 2D DK would be great tho. (and a 3d mario sequel of course)

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I've played through Super Lucky's Tale on Gamepass over the past week and I'd say it belongs in the OP, such a great platformer that I feel is very underrated or people just haven't played

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Not on the Lite or on the 8BitDo though.
? The lite's dpad is absolutely awful. I can't get it to register any diagonal inputs unless I use an excessive amount of force. Makes qcf motions or forward or backward jumps extremely difficult to perform.

Suppose that might not be an issue with platformers though

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't understand you sentence on the PS4/XB1. Since the Switch has a similiar support of indie platforms than those, then it has a best library since Nintendo releases great platformer too. PS4 is also missing Ori for example.

Thanks to its back catalogue, PC is impressive indeed but I don't think any recent great indie platformer is skipping the Switch these days.
I mean, the PS4 has Little Big Planet 3, Tearaway, Ratchet & Clank, Strider, etc.

And while yes, many AA indies are coming to Switch, you can always find them for cheaper and more immediately on PC (not to mention with mod support). And there is a vast library of legacy titles, like the original Cave Story, Knytt, Valdis Story, etc. And there are also the experimental stuff made on game jams that usually only show up on Itch.io or something.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
? The lite's dpad is absolutely awful. I can't get it to register any diagonal inputs unless I use an excessive amount of force. Makes qcf motions or forward or backward jumps extremely difficult to perform.

Suppose that might not be an issue with platformers though
That's a defective dpad. I had to return multiple Lites until I got one that didn't have that issue.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Well the greatest platformer of this generation is Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and that's not on Switch so I would say no.

Apr 21, 2018
Considering it has the NES and SNES classic games I'd say it's a certifiable yes.

Wii might be better with the advantage of Galaxy 1, 2, Sunshine through BC, SM64 through VC, DK returns, and a more robust VC platform overall.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It's great but still 3rd place for me, if we don't count virtual console/nintendo online.
SNES at second place
Wii at first, dat Galaxy combo is just too much for me.

If we count nintendo online, vc etc. then Switch gets in front of the mighty SNES.
But then the Wii would be soooooo much better than both that it'd would tear the space time continuum

SNES, N64, PS1, PS2 and Wii are my top 5.
I haven't really owned a Sega console so I don't know how good they are.

PS2? what
And to an extent the PS1.
Those two were the fucking king... 'cept for platformers (Jak who?). Definitely not even in the same league as Switch, and to flat out say the library is better you must be looking at a different console

Last edited:

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No and it's not even close to PC, SNES, Genesis and Co.

It even has one - imo - of the most disappointing games ever with Odyssey.

Even WiiU was better I guess.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I'm not really a platformer fan myself other than Mario games so it wins by default. Never got around to playing Super Mario 3D World so still waiting on that rerelease for the Switch.

That's a defective dpad. I had to return multiple Lites until I got one that didn't have that issue.
Hmm. If you had to return it multiple times It sounds like working dpads are exception and not the rule. In any case, a tad too late to return it for me.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great but still 3rd place for me, if we don't count virtual console/nintendo online.
SNES at second place
Wii at first, dat Galaxy combo is just too much for me.

If we count nintendo online, vc etc. then Switch gets in front of the mighty SNES.
But then the Wii would be soooooo much better than both that it'd would tear the space time continuum

PS2? what
And to an extent the PS1.
Those two were the fucking king... 'cept for platformers (Jak who?). Definitely not even in the same league as Switch, and to flat out say the library is better you must be looking at a different console
Jak series is better than any switch platformer. Sly cooper, Ratchet, Klonoa 2, Ape Escape we're also dope

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I'm not really a platformer fan myself other than Mario games so it wins by default. Never got around to playing Super Mario 3D World so still waiting on that rerelease for the Switch.

Hmm. If you had to return it multiple times It sounds like working dpads are exception and not the rule. In any case, a tad too late to return it for me.
It was a launch batch issue apparently.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
No, how?

Older consoles pre N64 were LOADED with platformers, and as a PC kid, DOS platformers were basically all I played. And I had lots of fun with them.
The Switch just cannot compete in this regard, and a few 90 metacritic titles won't help. No modern platform can compete.

So in short, I sleep

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's the only console with the three best platformers of all time, that is, Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Celeste.

So sure.

Though to be honest, I was only thinking of 2D games, as the 3D ones usually feel more like adventure games. It doesn't have the Galaxy games yet, or any of the other 3D Mario games. So it will get better.

Still yes.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it has more platformers than wii u and also still has tropical freeze (and a superior version of it)

so yes

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
No, how?

Older consoles pre N64 were LOADED with platformers, and as a PC kid, DOS platformers were basically all I played. And I had lots of fun with them.
The Switch just cannot compete in this regard, and a few 90 metacritic titles won't help. No modern platform can compete.

So in short, I sleep
Yep, platformers were like 70% of the game libraries back then. Modern systems just don't come close.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
If you are like me and you really love 3D platformers, no. I am interested in the Super Lucky's Tale game but I am afraid it's too easy.