• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's silly to think of Minecraft as an indie game at this point but I do think that it's a notable step for the Smash Roster. Coupled with Sans and Cuphead both getting premium Mii Fighter costumes and music tracks it seems like we're slowly moving in a direction that could allow for other Indie choices.

Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Cadence of Hyrule all seem like solidly viable options to me. All have a solid relationship with Nintendo and would be able to incorporate really unique aspects into their movesets which seems to be another trend that the smash dlc characters are going for.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt call Steve indie in any sense any more but they will go big for the finale. I expect another Hyrule Warriors addition tho

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The best selling game of all time and now owned by microsoft is not an indie.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft was indie 10 years ago.

Now its the most sold game in the world. Its a global phenomenom

Its owned by MS. Its not indie anymore and havent been for a decade lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i get what you're saying OP. while it is now a huge franchise it did start technically as an "indie" game, so it's unique in that way among smash characters.
i really hope the knight or hornet from hollow knight can get into smash, but i know it's not a realistic thing to wish for. maybe they can be added as mii costumes like cuphead or sans.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Shovel Knight is the only one that feels like he would even remotely have a shot and he's already an assist trophy. I don't think there will be a true playable indie representative in Ultimate unless Nintendo really throws a curveball with the remaining roster picks.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft is one of the biggest games of all time and its owned and operates by one of the biggest companies of all time. It has nothing to do with your question

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
We really have bastardised the word "indie".

As was noted above, Minecraft absolutely WAS an indie game made by a then tiny company. It's exploded since then, and is under Microsoft now, but that was quite a bit after release.

Hell, look at Myst and Cyan. Cyan still considers themselves an indie company, despite Myst being the best selling PC game of all time until The Sims came out.

Though, Cyan isn't owned by any other companies, and they're pretty small all things considered, so that's fair on their part.

...Atrus Links Into Smash?

A guy can dream, lol.

Bloodstained representation could also be fun.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The best chance for an indie rep was probably Sans so I wouldn't expect anything more than Mii costumes at this point.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Nintendo and Sakurai don't pick characters thinking "this will represent the indie scene."

Indie characters will continue to not get in due to their general obscurity and low profile.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft WAS an indie game, it no longer is.

If this was 2010-2011 Minecraft, Steve would absolutely not be in Smash. They are not going to do something like that, they want to sell you these characters.

Shovel Knight is the only one that feels like he would even remotely have a shot and he's already an assist trophy. I don't think there will be a true playable indie representative in Ultimate unless Nintendo really throws a curveball with the remaining roster picks.

This. Shovel Knight has the best chance and that's still a LOW chance.

They are absolutely going to go with characters that are well known, especially since this is supposed to be the last pack.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Wasn't Steve added in the story thing which came after the MS acquisition?
There's already assist trophies and costumes, but I don't think we'll get Hollow Knight or something as a character.

I wouldnt call Steve indie in any sense any more but they will go big for the finale. I expect another Hyrule Warriors addition tho

Urbosa or riot!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Shovel Knight could only make it as an Assist Trophy and Sans as a costume, I think indies are out of the running.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Minecraft on the Switch was a deal between two very large corporations. Nothing indie about it even if the game began independent.

Not sure if there is a true independent game out there with the kind of pull necessary to get on smash. It seems nintendo is strictly business when it comes to smash and third party characters.

Oct 26, 2017
Weren't a ton of characters in Smash technically in indie games at the time they were created? Eight people created Mega Man. Dragon Quest was like ten. Super Mario Bros has seven people in the credits.

Indie game + success + time = classic IP owned by huge company. Minecraft just got started later.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Weren't a ton of characters in Smash technically in indie games at the time they were created? Eight people created Mega Man. Dragon Quest was like ten. Super Mario Bros has seven people in the credits.

Indie game + success + time = classic IP owned by huge company. Minecraft just got started later.

If you're funded by a big publisher, you aren't an indie game.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The first thing Sakurai pointed out is that Minecraft is the best selling game of the world

This defines does not open the door for really niche characters

Oct 26, 2017
If you're funded by a big publisher, you aren't an indie game.

Capcom, Enix and Nintendo weren't behemoths at the time. Publishers certainly, and Capcom and Nintendo produced hardware, but they were relatively small and independent. Many indies today are the same size.

I'm just saying that "indie" is a modern idea. Originally everyone was indie unless they were one of the companies founded by some investment firm.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No :/

But at leats we got this

chrome_2019_09_04_19_15_44.png

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Snake was indie too. Bayonetta is technically also indie, the IP just happens to be owned by major publishers. Pac-Man. All of them.

Minecraft is the biggest game in the world, owned by one of the biggest companies in the world. Steve and Alex being in Smash means absolutely nothing for actual proper indie characters/IP in Smash.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Steve got added exactly for being huge and so recognizable with millions, not because its a charismatic character or the usual "history with nintendo"

The only indie you could possibly ever get is jones

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
CoordinatedLavishGermanspitz-size_restricted.gif

Like, Mineycrafta (which really isn't even truely "indie" anymore, but whatever) is literally the biggest gaming IP in the world, nothing compares to it.

Indie characters will continue to, at most, get Mii Fighter outfits and assist trophies as seen with Shovel Knight, Cuphead and Sans, and that's that.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Would Reimu count as indie, or is ZUN big enough?

From the japanese approach: her, Quote and the undertale protag seem the more likely right now.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft is the best selling game of all time. I don't think it's a good yardstick for Nintendo embracing Indie characters in Smash. It's sold more copies than Super Mario Bros.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should actually describe what you are talking about in the title. I had no idea what the thread was about.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Commercial success doesn't make a game non indie.

Microsofts acquisition? Sure, but commercial success? nope

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I think it pretty much just goes to show that anything can get big enough to be in Smash, more than it means indie stuff can easily get into Smash. Would love to be proven wrong with Cave Story Mii costumes and music tracks though (fifty eye emojis)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I know it's silly to think of Minecraft as an indie game at this point but I do think that it's a notable step for the Smash Roster. Coupled with Sans and Cuphead both getting premium Mii Fighter costumes and music tracks it seems like we're slowly moving in a direction that could allow for other Indie choices.

Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Cadence of Hyrule all seem like solidly viable options to me. All have a solid relationship with Nintendo and would be able to incorporate really unique aspects into their movesets which seems to be another trend that the smash dlc characters are going for.
As a character? I don't think so. Not unless they leave as big of an impact on gaming as some of the other characters have. I can't think of any indie characters significant enough to be fighters. Spelunky, Celeste, Castle Crashers could all be assist trophies. Maybe Spelunky or Castle Crashers could be Miis.

Ori isn't indie, but same feeling - would be a cool fighter, but there's no way.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the only one that seems likely to me is Quote, or Reimu if she still counts as indie

smash is really new to having non jp characters in their games

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
No. Has nothing to do with it and it's not an indie game any more. What it started as is irrelevant

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

It doesn't matter in the slightest how Minecraft got started when it was Microsoft Nintendo had to deal with for this. If anything, this was a AAAA inclusion.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Sure, as long as they become the best selling game of all they will definitely have a chance

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Minecraft is not indie and hasn't been for years. Literally a multibillion dollar IP owned by one of the largest corporations in the gaming sphere, which has enough resources to put hardware out. Minecraft hasn't done shit towards that end.