• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I remember at launch some people had an issue where their console would randomly shut off while gaming. I knew someone who had it happen to them repeatedly while playing Gears 5 and Destiny 2.

Has this issue been resolved in newer units or is it still a problem?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Err I don't think this has happened to me ever in any game, even Gears 5 / Hivebusters.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but I've never once had this issue since getting mine back in June.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I have not seen a lot of people with that issue (in fact, I haven't seen any online or in person). So if it was a big issue, it's been resolved software side as far as I can tell.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Since launch, it's happened to me twice. I immediately went over to feel it with my hand. It wasn't overly hot or anything ... it just kinda happened. But yeah, most recent occurrence was maybe ~45 days ago?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I have not seen a lot of people with that issue (in fact, I haven't seen any online or in person). So if it was a big issue, it's been resolved software side as far as I can tell.

I have definitely read posts on this forum from people who said they had to send in their console to Microsoft in order to get a replacement that didn't turn itself off. I think it might be a hardware issue.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It happened with the spare white controller that I bought right at launch once.

It hasn't happened a single time since I got my Pulse Red controller.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Happened once or twice to mine in the first few months. Since like... At least January it hasn't happened and it's the same console.

Still have some rare issues in instant on mode where the console needs to be shut off fully via the console itself, where restart or full shutoff via software just doesn't do anything. But not enough to be too concerned over.

BlodiaMkII

Jan 5, 2019
I have a couple that will blink off while playing on my PC with the official usb dongle. It seems the one I bought refurbished (black) does it the most. Haven't had any issue while playing on my actual series s.

*edit: misread console as controller

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this has happened to me! I've had my Series X for 3+ months now and about a week ago, when I was browsing through HBO Max on the console, it just suddenly shut off! The console wasn't overly hot or anything, so I don't know what the heck happened. Hopefully, this was just a one time occurrence and doesn't happen again.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This happened to me like 5 times, always playing Call of Duty Cold War. I have no idea if it has been fixed since I stopped playing that game months ago and then the issue stopped.

Activision is really a piece of shit company no? Fucking games even break your console.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Had this issue one time while playing fifa, when it was added to ea access, only this time and with this game. Never happened again.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Happens to me once every two weeks.. very annoying.
Happened first with Gears 5.. then keeps happening with DBD.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It is primarily software issues that cause Series X's to shut off. It only happened twice to mine I have had since May both times from the same game Scarlet Nexus. No other game has done it to me.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
I had two XsX consoles do this (One of them never turned back on) I sent it to MS for repair and my third one has been great so far in the ~month I've had it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My controller has randomly shut off (batteries are fine) but never the console. Unless it's a hard crash.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
When watching YouTube, my SX triggers a static screen for some reason. It happens once or twice if I'm watching YouTube. It could be a signal problem with it and the TV - LG C1 OLED.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If this is happening regularly, my guess would be the console isn't in a well ventilated position, maybe there's something above those big fuck off holes in the top, so it got overheated. I don't know anyone with a series X or S this has happened too, but I do have one friend who had it happened to his PS5, because he was keeping it in a tiny little cabinet barely big enough to squeeze it in, let alone vent.

If it's once in a blue moon and the console isn't really blocked up, could still be overheating but more from bad luck than anything.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
My launch Series X did this constantly i just shipped it back for a new one and haven't had problems since.

I don't know if there is a fix or why it was doing it.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this just happened to my brother's Xbox Series X for the second time according to him. Is it just random or should he send it in for repair just in case? Doesn't seem like a ventilation issue as his console is pretty out in the open but who knows maybe it is? It seems to vary depending on the types of games he plays.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I remember at launch some people had an issue where their console would randomly shut off while gaming. I knew someone who had it happen to them repeatedly while playing Gears 5 and Destiny 2.

Has this issue been resolved in newer units or is it still a problem?
This sounds like you took a few random anecdotes at launch and turned it into reality in your head.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I have a launch console and this hadn't happened to me a single time (I've played several games to completion on the console).

That is, until It Takes Two. My partner and I are a little over half way through the game and the console has shut off twice now. Thankfully the game is very generous with it's checkpoints.

I'm also playing Psychonauts 2 right now and haven't had any issues while playing that, so I think it may be a weird software issue with specific hardware? Hard to say for sure.

Definitely not a ventilation issue because I have it upright on a table with nothing around it.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
I think this has only happened to me twice during a long SoT session but I was able to turn it on and get back in rather quickly. Honestly, could have been the game hard locking.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
I've had t happen exactly once on the series S about... A month ago? Was in the middle of starting Forza Horizon 4 on it. I think it is/was a software issue as it hasn't happened since and it's in exactly the same place. Hardware is weird.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Update on my situation:

Sent my XSX for a repair and will get it sometime today. They said they fixed the issues and if it happens again, they will send me a new one immediately.

Hope it helps.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like you took a few random anecdotes at launch and turned it into reality in your head.

You sound like you haven't read the other posts in this thread. This is a very real (if somewhat uncommon) issue with the Series hardware.

SexyLexy

Oct 27, 2017
I've had it happen with our series s about 10 times during a week or so, after which it stopped. Some the same day, each after a shorter amount of time, which made think of overheating, but its got enough room and it only happened with bf4. Our series x which was running bf4 at the same time never shut down.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
I've had my Series X since launch day, and its beta ring of the skip ahead updates, never once had this problem.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've never encountered this (that I can remember, anyway), and didn't know it was a potential issue. It would surprise me less if the power button were capacitive, but I wouldn't expect it with the system's physical power button.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Had mine for a few days and no issue .
Off topic but does series x not have an ir blaster to turn on TV and stereo ?