• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do reviews influence you?

• Yes

Votes: 220 30.2%
  • Nope, never

Votes: 131 18.0%
  • Sometimes...

Votes: 378 51.9%

• Total voters

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone does, even if it's not a specific review, general consensus influences us all. If I see a decent saving on PSN, or whatever, I'll usually have a peep at the meta' or something to see whether I think it'll be worth it.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Sometimes. If a game is universally panned by critics (FO76, etc) then I'll take note and likely give that game a miss. Divisive reviews don't sway my opinion at all though. Games like ELEX, Vampyr and Outward didn't review all that well but were still some of my favourite games of this generation. I likely wouldn't have picked them up if I had listened to the critics.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The people saying never are like the people who don't think advertising affects them. :P

Anyone who cares enough to be on site, even if you don't really look at reviews is still getting the a general idea of the reception of most games, which will always influence you to a degree.

As long as you don't take reviews as gospel but just use them to inform your own opinion it's fine.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Yes because after Two Worlds and losing 60$ of my money I won't be scammed again.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I dont take them at face value but they allow me to confirm aspects of a game I might like or not like.

Darsiders 3 got panned by critics yet thanks to gamepass I am playing it now and having a ton of fun.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not really tbh.

I read & watch reviews for general information mostly, as in, things that aren't subjective (gameplay loop, difficulty, performance, etc). There's been far too many instances where I've loved a game that consensus deemed average or bad and disliked or felt apathetic towards games that consensus showered praise on. I'm usually attuned to what games appeal to me.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly do not engage with reviews at all when deciding which games to get. Either I already know if a game appeals to me or I learn about it from podcasts. The free form discussion with multiple people is much more informative and valuable.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
No. And even if a game is broken, I'll hear about it on sites like this. Reviews are mostly useless for me at this point.

I know if I'll like something simply by watching some gameplay.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I bought Celeste because IGN gave it a 10.

Probably would have saw how great it was on here but it's that review that made me buy it.

Really glad I did.

Oct 25, 2017
No, and I actually feel strongly about this because it's no longer something I can rely on.

Gaming coverage is worse off I believe for leaning too much into 'personalities' but trying to add nuance and qualify why I feel this way is extremely difficult.

Case in point there's a new Tim Rogers video on DKC 25 years on.

I have a real love for that game.

But I don't care for Tim Rogers' videos.

The guy himself is lovely - his work and long list of past works let that shine through - I just don't feel the same way about the 'personality' that comes across. And I get that's the point.

Many modern reviews take this approach. Screaming angry or soft spoken with deep knowledge sprinkled about; lewd joke or random comment about Jeffry Epstein; it's the act first and the intent - not using the word content here on purpose - second.

In a different time, you could change switch the station.Turn the radio dial. Not so with modern media.

Reviews as an art form will continue to evolve, it's exciting to see them grow and change with the medium itself.

Oh, hi Tim :)

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
If I'm interested in a game that doesn't review well then I'm still interested... I'm just now also waiting for a sale.

if not for reviews I never would've tried Fallout, Ouendan or Picross to name a few that I later loved, not to mention a slew of indie games.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no, every game I play is a title I liked the look of from the trailers or my history enjoying a franchise/specific dev team.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Of course. I don't have time to play every game out there, so reviewers perform a necessary service. It's not the on;y factor I consider, but it is an important one. It's the same with movies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually just to check if there is any things that would really annoy me and seeing what the general game play loop is like and performance. I do take in general views from users and snippets here and there from reviews, more so users.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I've honestly never read a game review in my life and they will never influence my opinion of what to get or not. I know why they exist and know they are useful but no one has my exact likes and dislikes so they personally don't do anything for me. At most I watch some gameplay footage or a little bit of a playthrough video on youtube (if its an already released game) if I'm unsure about something.

Pretty much my entire life the decision to purchase or not purchase a game has come almost entirely based on if I like the box art or not, I have a near perfect record with that method going back almost 20 years now. Works for me 😅

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes.

But it's usually in regards to games I wasn't already considering. Occasionally a game will come out of nowhere and get great reviews so I may pick it up despite previously being uninterested. On the flip side, if I have my eye on a game I will usually get it regardless of reviews barring a complete disaster.

Soba Mask

Sep 27, 2019
Just from the point of view of people reaction. About the game as what it is, I see gameplay to make my decision.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only for things I'm very on the fence about, stuff that's outside my wheelhouse where I'm looking for takes from people who are also usually not a fan of that genre etc.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
influence is a good way of putting it.

i can pretty much decide if a game is my cup of tea or not by pre-release footage. i use game reviews to identify issues not apparent from pre-release footage, or as a deeper dive into a games mechanics than the devs/pubishers released pre-launch.

thats about it. otherwise, i view them as one persons opinion, much like impressions posted on a viday game forum.

i didn't vote because i'm not sure any option accurately reflects my point of view

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, even if I'm super hyped for a game if it ends up getting a 32 in Metacritic I'm not buying it.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
On Steam, when the game has a read rating (negative) , I rarely bother reading up on it.
Yellow (mixed) I do research. Watch videos, read opinions.

Funnily enough, score-based reviews I don't care much. The numbers don't convey enough. Always have to do research to be satisfied.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I legitimately no longer have time to play games that arent "great". When I had more time I would buy plenty of games on a whim...now not so much

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It kind of does. If I see a game on Steam and it has mostly negative reviews or worse, its usually a good indicator something is fucky. I actually don't read game reviews anymore at all. I like the simple approach of you either recommend it or don't.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll bring my attention to a game I wasn't interested in but it never dissuades me from buying something I'm interested in

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
hell yeah.

I was so excited for Arkham Knight. And i had to call an audible and completely put off buying a PS4 for the game....for a long time. Because of negative reaction. And especially angry joes's review.

I actually finally played it in the last couple months because of GamePass and then i think it was a PS+ game.

and i surprisingly liked it

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To some extent obviously. If a game I've never heard of is reviewing extremely well I'll likely take a closer look at it, at the very least. Coversely, if something I wanted is getting 4s and 3s, I may hold off. So it's a thing of extremes really. If I want something and it gets a 7 or 8, I'm relatively nonplussed.

Context matters too. I don't get if like IGN or Angry Joe say gives Pirahna Bytes next game a shit review.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I do not pay attention to most gaming reviews.

It's really just about me following particular series and going towards my genre preferences.

I think it's incredibly sad that some people will buy a game just because it has a high metacritic. Those people will then turn around and say "Waah, this game is not for me! It's so overrated!"

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, but I would say it's not equal. The following is under the assumption that I'm interested in the game in the first place.

In general I would say games with 80+ doesn't really change much for me. The difference between good and great isn't really a big deal.

Games that get lower than 80 but above 70 give me pause.

Games that get lower than 70 I tend to ignore. Unless the fan backlash is big enough to take a second look.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The only opinion that matters is my own, not some strangers, so no, I don't care about reviews when it comes to purchasing video games.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Of course they do. Sure, there's some small subset of games where my interest in a developer or franchise means I'm in no matter what, but most games exist in a limbo where of course I'm not going to expend my time and money if most people are coming away thinking the game is uninteresting, and there are tons of games that I had no interest in until they came out and reviews were glowing

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For sure. I might randomly find a game I hadn't heard of or see performance issues I want to investigate or just check into what a game offers.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Depends. If I've already kind of made my mind up on buying a game, I'm probably going to buy it either way. But if I'm on the fence, I'll certainly look to reviews. Or if something wasn't really on my radar, but gets excellent reviews/word of mouth, I'll likely pick it up.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not really. I feel like I know enough about my own tastes to judge whether I will like something on my own.

One of the few times in recent years where I paid attention to reviews when making a purchase decision was with FFXV, as I am a big FF fan, but had hated the last few single player offerings SE put out. After reading quite a few of the reviews available during week one, I felt like it would be a more complete experience than it really was and hated almost everything about it from the cast, overall plot, mash-y action combat, lack of customization, lack of magic systems, etc.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's reviewers I trust like ACG, or reviewers whose line of thinking is similar to mine. Games are expensive. It eats a hole in my wallet and if I can mitigate that by listening to reviewers who say I should avoid / rent, I'm doing that.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I almost never read or watch reviews, but if I hear there's concensus good buzz going on about a game, I'll check it out with my own eyes to see if it's something I'd be interested in. In that way, yes, reviews have influenced me.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just let the metacritic/opencritic be the judge, most of the time. Though, reviews are meant to tell you about the quality of a product, whether you'll enjoy it or not is entirely up to you and nobody can decide that for you, which is something most people misunderstand, just because you had fun with 6/10 game doesn't qualify it to be +8/10.. and yeah, 6/10 doesn't mean a bad game, actually

Boozer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
Was interested in death stranding, but after numerous videos depicting lots of walking, I'll give it a miss.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No because big AAA and overhyped titles always take high scores with very few exceptions. Reviews has become more marketing tools rather than reviews. Review sites (and publishers) are very aware the scores they give hold major influence in gamers decisions.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember the last time I actually paid attention to reviews.

I have a tendency to enjoy things which are more divisive and risk taking, with that said.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was all in to get Anthem until the reviews hit.

I prefer to disassociate from the minute opinions, but the scores and consensus still do serve to inform the purchase.