• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeehaws think this is enough time. It's going to be infuriating seeing the conservative movement, yet again, deny reality for the fictional ideological world that exists in their heads.

Expect what the GOP tried to do in Wisconsin to be a template for the whole country, and not just for elections. Say everything is fine, people are safe, and normal life must return because freedoms and the market.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
My job apparently? I don't know how to word this without giving away where I work but I was surprised to learn last night that we'll be opening to the public again on Monday like nothing is happening. I mean I'm sure they'll clean more than normal but it makes no sense to reopen. The profit isn't even going to be that much so I don't get what Scrooge's plan is.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
That's just 3 months. So what's so ridiculous about planning for a group event in October?
Sorry I was referring to May 1 quarantine lift. It won't be three months and US is also not doing the kind of aggressive quarantining that China did. Flattening the curve means we don't overwhelm the healthcare system in a huge spike by prolonging the time period we need to be vigilant. Instead of a short and sudden spike, we flatten and lengthen the time period of infections.

Nov 6, 2017
Mid June seems accurate for some cities to relax a bit. I think the US will be tightening and softening constantly for several years.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeehaws think this is enough time. It's going to be infuriating seeing the conservative movement, yet again, deny reality for the fictional ideological world that exists in their heads.

Expect what the GOP tried to do in Wisconsin to be a template for the whole country, and not just for elections. Say everything is fine, people are safe, and normal life must return because freedoms and the market.
What do you mean "tried to do"?
The election happened and huge amounts of people were likely infected.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Nope.

I think some things will gradually open starting around the middle of May, going into June. It'll be really slow.

So, only a fraction of what is closed now will start up again until July. Then more during July-August, but still far from everything.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people are either ignorant or in denial about how long this will be. This could realistically last into 2021 but I hear people talking about having plans for June and concerts being announced for the fall. It's just not gonna happen, folks. Strap in. This is gonna be a long one.
Indeed, it pains me because I have close relatives still hopeful that this will all pass or that we'll be able to resume our normal activities in a month or so. It's gonna be a long and bumpy ride and most people are not expecting and most certainly are not prepared for that.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
No, but things will normalize by the end of the year at the latest It has to or human civilization is not going to survive.

Oct 27, 2017
No, but things will normalize by the end of the year at the latest It has to or human civilization is not going to survive.

That is extremely hyperbolic. We will not be in the current state of lockdown past mid-summer, likely (depending on where you live), but there will certainly still be restrictions in place on large gatherings, free travel, and distancing for 12-24 months, and we will survive.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the states that will be below 1000 active cases at the end of the month will be rural midwestern ones where they didn't issue stay at home orders anyway. Lifting social distancing guidelines for them will have no impact, and Hawaii sure as hell doesn't plan to "Open for business" for mainland travel anytime soon.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean "tried to do"?
The election happened and huge amounts of people were likely infected.

By tried to do, I mean as an attempt at normalizing it. Fox News will use it as an example that normal life can happen again, and thus the GOP uses it as a hope for a grand reopening to appease the God King in the White House.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
That is extremely hyperbolic. We will not be in the current state of lockdown past mid-summer, likely (depending on where you live), but there will certainly still be restrictions in place on large gatherings, free travel, and distancing for 12-24 months, and we will survive.

For some, that might as well be jail. I finally want to be around other human beings and can't fucking do that anymore, how do you think that fucking feels? 24 months? Not a fucking chance in hell will I last that long. FUCK THAT. It will take multiple generations to undo the mental damage that would leave on the population.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Less than 0.15% of the US population has been infected with it, with inadequate testing and contact tracing. Good luck opening up on May 1st, everything will just end up repeating until most people have immunity and that isn't going to happen this year.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
May 1st sounds crazy. When you say "everything' as in go back to how it was before this, then that's going to to take a long time. No one really has that answer right now.

In the US, If current lock downs slow the spread enough (and models are showing that it is), then we can start easing restrictions in the next few months. More people can get back to work and restaurants will open, but don't expect concerts, sports games, or conventions anytime soon.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know for a fact that things won't go back to normal.

Minneapolis has already announced that our beaches, rec centers, and large park events are close for the entire summer.

My suspicion is that we will have a lifting of Shelter In Place in early May here in Minnesota. We seem to be pretty low on cases and I think Walz wants to have some semblance of sustainability. I think we'll have encouraged social distancing, limited people in retail stores, restaurants will have new restrictions on capacity and distance, etc.

In addition we'll have increased testing, and procedures for shelter in place emergencies if they need to enforce it quickly.

Events like state fairs, concerts, etc. are dead in the water until 2021.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denial, same way people think about other things that shouldn't be mentioned as to not derail the conversation.

JesterLaughs

Banned
Apr 1, 2020
No chance, June possibly things will begin moving - August we begin to enter a stage of the world opening boarders again.

years for recovery.

that's my guess anyway.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some, that might as well be jail. I finally want to be around other human beings and can't fucking do that anymore, how do you think that fucking feels? 24 months? Not a fucking chance in hell will I last that long. FUCK THAT. It will take multiple generations to undo the mental damage that would leave on the population.

This is even more hyperbolic than the previous answer.

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I can't see it getting any better in the US until things are locked down even more and we have some kind of a vaccine. So, like, in a long time from now.

That's just 3 months. So what's so ridiculous about planning for a group event in October?

Because the US isn't completely locking down. It's getting way, way worse here. And if our leadership is talking about getting things back to "normal" as soon as May, then things will continue to get worse. It doesn't just go away on it's own.

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
I think there's confusion on everything "going back to normal" being used interchangibly between full blown lockdowns/shelter in place and a loosening of social distancing restrictions.

I don't think we'll be in lockdown/hardcore shelter in place mode past end of May/early June. What I do believe we'll see is a continuing of maintaining six feet apart, wearing gloves and masks, and capping capacity for any given place at 50% of what they typically are. I can see us returning to movie theaters this summer, for example, but capping attendance at half the seats. At least for the states smart enough to continue these types of measures indefinitely even past the shelter in place stopping.

Those types of changes I see sticking until sometime in 2021 or when we have a promising vaccine.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't call anyone delusional when our government isn't communicating on this well. Heck I think Canada is the first nation today where the government acknowledges this can go on for a year and they are one of the least affected countries.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I can see restrictions loosening a bit in May, well, maybe not US.

Restaurants start opening, non essential stores, etc. Of course with limitations adhering to social distancing.
Large gatherings will still be forbidden. So, no sport events or exhibitions.

Dec 31, 2017
Yeahhhh I think maybe NY/NJ may be slowing down by then (knock on wood), it's going to be raging in other places. So no. Furthermore, I don't think people are just going to start normally doing things as they did before.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
my armchair guess is a broad may-july window to "normalcy". will vary with different regions based on infected/death rates and how distancing/shut downs are 'legally' doled out

it's fuzzy but may sounds about right, despite it not being a particularly good thing