• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Yes

Votes: 1,261 82.9%
  • No

Votes: 260 17.1%

• Total voters

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's supposed to be Santa dropping off presents when you're a sleep :) always experienced it that way and I'm not white.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like Trick-or-Treating on the 30th.
Different traditions for different people. Hispanic Christmas Eve dinners all over Latin America and other parts last a long time anyway so by the time we got to exchange presents with family it would be always way past midnight so we'd be doing it on the actual 25th (for example I went to sleep until 4am this year). Santa's gift for kids would always be found under the tree in Christmas morning though because he'd arrive in the middle of the night before dawn while you're asleep.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa comes when your asleep, how could you possibly open his presents be fore. He. ..... oh gawd no!

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I've never heard of opening them on Xmas Eve. Scotland, UK.

Always been the 25th. Growing and up and now I have kids of my own. When is Santa meant to deliver the presents, duh.

We do an Xmas Eve box where you get like new PJs, sweets and a movie for the family to watch but that's it.

The 24th is just a normal day. Most people are working. I only had it off as I booked it well in advance.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I am not super hyped to open gifts so anytime is fine. People take Christmas too seriously and are too eager to open gifts.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We wake up at 9am on the 25th, our young ones organize the presents into piles by names, then we open at 9:30 or 10. Then we eat Breakfast and hangout/play.

So how do y'all guarantee that your kids won't wake up too soon? Do you tell them to wait til a certain time to go get their presents?
If I was a kid I'd just wake up at 4 or 5am. Waiting sucks.

You parent your kids? You teach them that Presents open at your dedicated time and if they aren't Santa/You takes their presents away, or they are put on the Naughty list for the next year.

They can look at them, they can organize them into piles, they can shake them and guess. But they can't open until the time you set.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Different traditions for different people. Hispanic Christmas Eve dinners all over Latin America and other parts last a long time anyway so by the time we got to exchange presents with family it would be always way past midnight so we'd be doing it on the actual 25th (for example I went to sleep until 4am this year). Santa's gift for kids would always be found under the tree in Christmas morning though because he'd arrive in the middle of the night before dawn while you're asleep.
There's not much in the way of Eve celebrations up here, unless you count last-minute scrambling for gifts and dinner items as a tradition. Typically things happen the day of- you wake up, get with the fam/go to church, open gifts, then eat dinner and mingle. It's basically like a second Thanksgiving, but with more capitalism. xP

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Dutch here and everyone I ever celebrated Xmas with opens them on the 25th in the morning at the earliest. Often even the 26th since Santa knows what other place you're gonna celebrate Xmas at.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It always made more sense to me to open presents in the morning. That way you have all day to play with your new stuff you just opened (counting adults and kids in that). Not much fun to open your stuff and be like "Cool! So excited to use this! Well off to sleep now!".

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. why are there presents underneath the Christmas tree before Santa?
I've seen that in movies like the Grinch and it confuses me.

Oct 27, 2017
Stayed up till 4am opening gifts this year on the 24th,my girls idea. Had to wake up this morning (christmas) to clean everything up. Not doing that again,going back to opening everything up christmas morning like i always have.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
We open presents after dinner on Christmas Eve, but that's not the norm. Almost everyone I know opens on Christmas Morning.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If you're awake at midnight, Santa won't come. He sees you when you're sleeping and he knows when you're awake.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For us it has always been:

Christmas Eve- a Christmas celebration at grandparents house with extended family, food, aunts, uncles, cousins, people playing guitars, card games, etc. Kids open presents from those relatives, and maybe the adults exchange some too.

Christmas morning - kids wake up, run down and open presents from mom and dad and/or Santa. It's for immediate family.

Christmas afternoon/evening- yet another get together, this time it's for the OTHER extended family from the other side.

So as a kid that meant my mom's family on Christmas Eve and my dad's on Christmas Day afternoon/evening ... as an adult it's my family on Christmas Eve, my wife and kids on Christmas morning and my in-laws on Christmas afternoon/evening which is where I am right now.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I don't think you can beat a sleepy child creeping downstairs and slowly checking if Santa has been on Christmas morning. I think that is the best way to do it.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Portugal here, always opened gifts on Christmas Eve, around midnight. Sometimes sooner depending on the kids ages.

Would not be able to sleep anyway when i was kid knowing presents were there for me.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Hispanic. Woke up at crack of dawn to open gifts the 25th then a family gathering at grandmas later that day.

hopper7

Oct 27, 2017
Mexican here, but it varied from time to time when we were kids, if my dad had time to sneak out of eve's dinner to place the presents under the tree then we did it that night, but most of the times we had to wait till morning to open them, now that we're mostly adults we just do the secret santa thing with the extended family on the 24th

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it's kinda cute that people are confused by how how santa is supposed to bring presents during the day on the 24th... like the thought that maybe "Santa" isn't part of the equation doesn't even occur.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the US. When I was a kid, we'd open some presents in the evening on Christmas Eve, and some in the morning on Christmas Day. Nowadays, we usually do all of it on the evening of Christmas Eve. This year we delayed it a day because my mom wasn't feeling well, though.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
As a Mexican we do open up present on midnight and into the early hours of the 25th (2AM) due to the number of people present at the party. If going to sleep early we do it once we wake up.

EDIT: As someone else mentioned there is also a Baby Jesus and nativity scene.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's traditional in the UK to open them Christmas Day morning, but I'm familiar in other parts of the world that Xmas Eve is the more important day. It's not a competition guys, just enjoy yourselves and your loved ones.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
My family celebrates Christmas like New Year's Day where most of the festivities are on the Eve. We open presents at midnight, enjoy them until about 3 am and then enjoy the gifts some more on Christmas. We also have a second Thanksgiving style dinner that day.

Whaaat? I'm (half)Mexican and I've never heard of opening them on the eve. Who the heck would let (aka want) their kids up at midnight to open gifts and get all keyed up? The whole Santa thing was always incentive to get your ass in bed and go to sleep. Opening at night seems weird to me, especially if it's not even on the proper day.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
We just wait until the dinner desserts are over and then we start opening them. No kids though, only adults.

But even as a kid i don't remember waiting and opening them on the 24th anyway.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Christmas Eve is still pretty much a working day here in the UK. Christmas Day is for gifts and food , boxing Day is for food and regrets 😂

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
In the UK the tradition is definitely Christmas Day morning. Christmas Eve is just a regular day here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As a kid we got to pick one present to open on Xmas Eve, with the rest being opening the next morning.

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's tradition in many countries to open gifts on Christmas Eve, but how did that get started? Seems weird to open gifts the day before the actual holiday.

Do you Eve openers, open your birthday gifts on the eve of your birthday's too?

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
For my family it's been:

Christmas Eve = Family Christmas party and family members giving gifts
Christmas morning = Gifts received from Santa at home
Christmas afternoon = Going to another family member's house for dinner and more gifts