• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
If all you have is a child's pleasure when playing games... you're missing so much it's not even funny.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Why do people think that about video games? But almost nobody does about movies?
Because most of those people use to dedicate their lives to gaming when they where younger and have no balance in their life whatsoever ,once they got little older they realized that there are other hobbies/ priorities to take in mind , so technically they grow out of this obsession and start to look for something new.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Can't say I've aged out but there are mechanics or stories that have been done before that don't jump out for me.
Something like Harvest Moon vs Stardew Valley or Earthbound vs Undertale - I put a lot of time into the older title and I don't have much desire for the new one.

No disrespect to the new titles at all but I have less free time now. I move toward things that stand out to me, right or not.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Because most of those people use to dedicate their lives to gaming when they where younger and have no balance in their life whatsoever ,once they got little older they realized that there are other hobbies/ priorities to take in mind , so technically they grow out of this obsession and start to look for something new.

And a movie is a 3 hour committment max, not 100+ like most AAA games.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
To those who say "you're not maturing, your tastes are just changing." I would say that is maturing. It's not standardized or uniform across everyone, but as you experience more things, sometimes you realize things you enjoyed in the past don't offer much presently. The entire medium? Maybe not. The majority of it, absolutely.

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
frankly I agree with OP. I just feel like I've aged out of most games. And, yeah I aged out of anime, animated films, and comic books. All of which I considered passions at one point.

I don't find them fulfilling or stimulating. I have the spare time. It's not that I'm too busy. I don't feel bad about losing it, or judge the culture for still enjoying it. I enjoy following the hobby, but I don't have the interest to participate anymore. And, yes,I do intrinsically tie that with maturity and growth, at least on a personal level.

not to say I turn away from it. I still enjoy the big nintendo games( and i'll eventually catch whatever pixar puts out) I still retain an appreciation for the art and the craft.

but maybe its OK that part of the DNA of a hobby is its immaturity?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
To those who say "you're not maturing, your tastes are just changing." I would say that is maturing. It's not standardized or uniform across everyone, but as you experience more things, sometimes you realize things you enjoyed in the past don't offer much presently. The entire medium? Maybe not. The majority of it, absolutely.

It's mostly related to the context of maturing means. In this context, it implies that games are inherently immature and that you mature by not playing them anymore. Sure, you can say that maturing is coming to realize that what you liked and dislike and growing as a person, but most of these threads read like someone who needs to just take a step away from gaming for a bit and then come back in a few months if/when they have the desire again as opposed to actually "maturing" out of games.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope. I don't really hold the belief that you can mature out of things like video games or even cartoons, they are simply a form of entertainment and/or hobby. It's more that tastes change and priorities shift around over time. Something I think society at large often conflates with growing up and maturing, when really growing up and maturing is about how you manage these things in your life. You can still hold plenty of hobbies dear to you, even if you can't always participate in them, and even if you drop them, there will always be that piece of you that holds a fondness to that hobby and it may even be what leads you back after a long break when priorities in life settle down which allows you to make time for it again.

You grow out of something because that thing no longer offers any stimulation. Like me when it comes to Sudoku puzzles, it's was a lot of fun in the beginning but once you discover the algorithm to solve all of them, then the game becomes boring. The "hard" ones just take more time, but you are using the same techniques as the easy ones. Similarly, children's books with simple stories and sentences on the level of "the cow said moo" cease to be fun not because you're older per se, but because you prefer stories with more substance and depth, written with a language that is slightly above your level so you can learn and keep growing as a person. The more proficient you become at something, such as having a high skill in platformers, the more you will demand challenging games because going back to normal difficulty games that are a walk in the park for you offer no satisfaction and are thus not fun nor interesting to play. Like, Super Mario World is kind of boring to play now, as I beat all of the levels very quickly with few deaths, and I know all of the secrets by memory, so I have thus 'grown out of the game'.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seem some of my high school gamer friends return to playing games now that they're settling down with families.

They were too busy in the 20's to play games. But now that they're staying in with the kids more, they will find the time to play some single player games.
High quality and accessible games like Spider-Man and Assassin's Creed Odyssey are two recent examples of gamer I've heard friends talk about.

They have no interest in multiplayer and it might take them 6 months to finish a game, but they didn't mature out of their love of games. It's just all a balancing act.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Not sure if it's a maturity thing or people just becoming interested in other things. I had a friend who was a gamer all the way up until about 5 years ago when he started becoming more into TV, movies, going to plays, and traveling. I don't mind hanging out with friends, going to the movies, watching a few TV shows, or reading a good book, but gaming is still my #1 hobby. Don't see that changing any time soon.

Oct 28, 2017
Ive certainly been going through this with this generation of consoles. It would come and go, with a select few games taking over my mind for a week or two, but video games as a hobby no longer does anything for me. Ill still listen to the Giantbombcast and Vidjagameapocalypse because they remind me of a much long ago past of mine when i was way into games as a hobby and as a art form (10+ years ago). Just like i browse Era, it reminds me of 13 years ago when i hung out on Gaf. Its much more passive then putting time into something i don't care about. Its been a slow burn but games are becoming a very small part of my life. Which is a shame because i think games are in arguably at their peak in terms of quality and diverseness. Gaming culture sure has put a bad taste in my mouth as well. I know that sounds like a copout answer but its the truth. I don't want to be associated with what people view gamers as today. It was much less embarrassing when games where still seen as nerdy.

Just because you fall out of games doesn't necessarily mean you grew out of having fun and playing around. It often just means you found something else to play around with and have other hobbies to trigger those same endorphins. Which is why i find that quote about "playing" above to not really represent everyone when they fall out of a hobby the older they get. Not everyone becomes a husk. They just find something that is more exciting and representative of that feeling they grew to know as "playing." Dont lock yourself to video games because you fear of growing up or fear becoming a boring adult.

I race bicycles now, which almost always gets a laugh from people my age and friends as its seen as a childish hobby. Because much like video games, most people stop ridding bikes past a certain age as they "grow up." But what ever.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
In an era where adults are watching comic book films in their droves, adults watch anime, play Pokemon, D&D, board games, read comics/manga etc? Nah not at all. Adults sure aren't "growing" out of any of this stuff. I know I ain't.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
As I get older, I still like games, but there's way more stuff I want to do. Therefore, I game way less. Things are different from when I was 15 and had nothing to do all summer except game or be online.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My hobbies cycle. There are months where I'm really into film, games, comics, literature, concerts, making music, or travel. In the same way, there are months where I'm not interested in some of those things. I imagine many are like me.

I was hardly playing games for the past 3 or 4 months, and then I got way into Bloodstained at release. Now, I'm still feeling playing games.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel like I'm maturing out of games, but I do think I've aging out of long games. I significantly prefer shorter, more cohesive stuff nowadays. 20-30 hours is the sweet spot. Life just seems to get in the way of long games, and I very rarely finish them.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I don't feel like I'm maturing out of games, but I do think I've aging out of long games. I significantly prefer shorter, more cohesive stuff nowadays. 20-30 hours is the sweet spot. Life just seems to get in the way of long games, and I very rarely finish them.
Now this I can relate to. Ever since I got out of college, I've mostly avoided long games. There are exceptions, but when I find myself wanting the next big JRPG or time sink, I remind myself that I probably won't want to play it after 10 hours. It's good in some ways. I play far less crap. I drop games I'm not enjoying, but when I was younger, I'd just force myself to beat something.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I'm 31 and while i give up pretty fast on a game i think is somewhat mediocre, i still enjoy playing the ones that stick.

There is too much available though, i have steam and all 3 consoles.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You grow out of something because that thing no longer offers any stimulation. Like me when it comes to Sudoku puzzles, it's was a lot of fun in the beginning but once you discover the algorithm to solve all of them, then the game becomes boring. The "hard" ones just take more time, but you are using the same techniques as the easy ones. Similarly, children's books with simple stories and sentences on the level of "the cow said moo" cease to be fun not because you're older per se, but because you prefer stories with more substance and depth, written with a language that is slightly above your level so you can learn and keep growing as a person. The more proficient you become at something, such as having a high skill in platformers, the more you will demand challenging games because going back to normal difficulty games that are a walk in the park for you offer no satisfaction and are thus not fun nor interesting to play. Like, Super Mario World is kind of boring to play now, as I beat all of the levels very quickly with few deaths, and I know all of the secrets by memory, so I have thus 'grown out of the game'.
I'm mainly speaking generally. Games as a medium is large with all kinds of games for all kinds of types, same goes for animation and a lot of forms of entertainment. You can grow out of some things, but there's always more available to you in these mediums, which is why I've always struggled to even understand how one can grow out of a medium when there is a ton of stuff out there.

But even then, something like video games are unique. If I've gotten very good at a game like Mario World, I see that as something great and a point of personal growth. And if I find little challenge going back, I may create new ones for myself. I'm often the believer that there is no wrong way to play a game, just new ways to challenge yourself, like say 100%ing Mario World only as small Mario, try to get every ring in each level in Sonic 1 or 2, try to beat your highest score or fastest time. There's a lot of ways to play a game where you can still improve and give yourself additional challenge.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
At the end of the day, it's about the time you have and the time you are willing to put in a hobby or a passion. Someone is not more or less mature because they spend more or less time on videogames. Just look at everyone around you who's gaming (if any), and how different they all are and how different their game preferences/time spent is. We pretty much all have that friend that only plays League, or that friend who's addicted to some mobile game. Then there's people who still play Sports games with their buddies, or the ones who still spend some time each month with their childhood friends playing multiplayer games. Dads and moms teaching their kids about the games they grew up liking and the same dads and moms that get their game time when their kids are asleep instead of watching Netflix or reading a book.

Some people play mobile games on the commute, while waiting for the bus, during lunch. I read or watch shows during those times, and I'm gaming when I'm at home. I really don't think you can mature out of something as diversified as gaming. There is so many option for so many people. You just do what you can/want with the time you have free.

N E R O

Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga, ON
Yes some people do. no Biggy though, Soon to be 31, While I made a cut in the time invested on playing video games in the past 2 years, I still do love em and follow up the news and purchase new games every month. I am playing 1 game at a time right now and if I feel bored I don't force myself to continue. But yes I would rather invest my time in something else nowadays. I spent 10 days of my vacation traveling in Europe instead of staying home, Didn't make a single video gaming purchase during my vacation.
Starting new 50+ hrs games is a huge investment for me and I can't afford it anymore. I still haven't finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (+90 hrs right now in 2 years).

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Out of genres, probably. Out of free time, definitely. (but that just means trade offs, most people still consume media -- which type of media are you going to prioritize?)

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
My tastes have certainly narrowed and expanded in ways owing to time, taste, and market changes.

I use to really love fighting games, sports/racing games, and JRPGs, platformers and just about everything with addictive gameplay loops. But as I got older I have less time and less patience my tastes have skewed towards single player cinematic action adventure games. They can be open world but if the story doesn't suck me in I drop it. If there are too many checklists or I see through the potempkin village empty world I drop it. If it's too hard, I drop it. I can only play one game at a time, and sometimes I'll try a weird little indie game or two when I don't feel like spending too much time gaming.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Other things get priority such as family, work, political activism, ect

Dealing with those is a sign of maturity, but enjoying gaming is independent of maturity as the gaming medium has a huge variety much like movies and books that suit all tastes and capabilities

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yea I think I have pretty much grown out of video games.

I am a full time software dev. Between the 2 hour commute, intense work, side projects/learning, I have no time for games anymore. At this point in my life, I rather continue improving as a programmer so I can continue making big bucks down the road.

I was really enjoying God of War, Spiderman, Dishonored 2, Batman AC but had to drop them all :(

edit: I played some Rainbow Six Siege today and it really relieved some stress. Thinking about playing some Spiderman or RDR2 tonight. Gaming does help relieve stress in my case.

Last edited:

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I don't think playing games can be considered immature. It's a hobby to make passing time enjoyable. Like playing chess or cards or reading a book. Sometimes you're priorities change, or just your interests. I've had times where I can read a couple books in a row then suddenly I can't stand to read one page without my mind drifting.

I think that's why it's good to have multiple hobbies, because if you get bored or burned out on one, you can switch it up until you're ready to go back.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People do mature out of games. That doesn't make playing games immature though. Priorities, time available and interest change over time. For a lot of people, console gaming just becomes too much investment to them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, my law school crew (we used to play BF4/Ghost religiously at the start of this gen) have not logged on to their PS4 since 2015. Whenever we see each other they are shocked that I am still making time for games. I guess I am hanging on, sleep be damned. At least some of my college buddies still play.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Some people just lose interest. Time is finite, and there's a plethroa of things you can do with your free time, productive or otherwise. And everyone's gonna value their myriad options differently.

They might try to frame it as a matter of maturing, especially if their waning interest is due to the limited free time they have as an adult with responsibilities and/or goals... but that's probably just for their own sake, trying to rationalize losing interest in something they liked.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol at everyone getting funny over mature.

I think the type of game / time spent can really change as you get older.

I'm 34, and have a baby now. I can't put more than a few hours a week into gaming, if I'm lucky. I'm probably not going to waste that free time quickly, so often I won't even choose to game, or I'll play something I'm enjoying at the time that is quick and easy. JRPG games suffer for this for me now as they are just too long. Also my girl is only 6 months old but when she's older I don't want her (or my wife!) seeing me playing games with such horrible representation of women, so a lot of games (again sadly a lot of anime / jrpg games fall into this- as do many others) are out too.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing is going from wanting everything to be violent and "mature" and mostly growing out of that type of appeal.
Unless its Doom 2016....that was beautiful

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I was thinking the same but then I played Edith and realized that I just haven't played a mature game in forever.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
I still get exited about new games and listen to podcasts, read this forum, etc.

Having time or motivation to play is a different story. Anything "long" is a hard sell to get me to play.
As an example, I bought the new GoW on black friday, and its still currently in its wrapper.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. They can be a waste of time and money. You can do a lot better with that than videogames.

I barely play then anymore. Feels like you're doing chores or a part time job. Will sell my consoles and keep a PC for the occasional game, but I'm both nostalgic/glad about feeling that I'm done with this hobby.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I wish they would. Then we could leave Pokemon to gamers like my kids who are super excited for Sword and Shield and move away from people not in the target audience who don't feel catered to.

I personally would prefer the full Pokedex but my kids (and the students I teach) don't care even in the slightest. So long as they get cool new Pokemon (and Pikachu is still there) they are good.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
WN5efb7.jpg

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I certainly did "mature out of video games." I started in 1972 when I was 3, my family had a Magnavox Odyssey. I was basically obsessed with video games throughout the rest of the 1970s and into the early 80s. After I hit puberty, I soon lost interest. Getting up early for Saturday morning cartoons, Star Wars action figures, video games, tons of stuff just lost its appeal for me somehow. Suddenly all I cared about was listening to records, learning to play guitar, being in a band, girls... I basically didn't touch a video game during my high school and college years. Then after I finished school, I ended up owning a SNES as part of a scheme to establish credit. I had to buy something for approx. $200, and "a Nintendo" was the only thing on the list of suggestions that I didn't already own. I'd seen F-Zero commercials and thought it looked cool, seemed like games had come a long way since I'd stopped playing. I figured I'd play with it for a couple of hours and sell it or give it to my brother in law or something, but I ended up digging F-Zero way more than I expected and played it for a week or two, long enough to get 1st place gold in every race including the secret one. Then I was seriously going to pack the console up and get rid of it, and as I was about to put it back in the box, I noticed the Super Mario World cartridge that came with it. I knew of Super Mario, but I'd never played any of them, only Donkey Kong and the Mario Bros arcade game. I figured I might as well play it for at least a few minutes, I owned the damn thing. So I started playing SMW, and that was it. That made me a born again gamer and I haven't stopped since. Long past my "hardcore" phase though, of course.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
People find other hobbies as they mature if that's what you mean OP. But I don't think gaming itself is a naturally immature thing anymore than any other hobby that is a time waster. Sounds like you may just enjoy other hobbies more.

There's been times where I've not played a video game for months and instead write or create something. There's been other times where I finish 3 in a month and watch a ton of movies. And other times where I'm too busy hanging with friends and doing other stuff. Come back to it, or don't. But if you find yourself not finding anything fun, that's a sign of depression and I'd urge you to seek help!

Oct 25, 2017
No. Maybe your interests happen to shift away from games, but that's not "maturing".
The opposite also happens quite often. Older people who've never been into games might retire and find they have more time on their hands and end up getting into games.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I, unfortunately, "grew" out of a certain graphics style. Even though FF: Tactics is one of my top 5 favorite games, I wouldn't be able to play a third with the same art style. Mario games as well. :(

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'll be 40 tomorrow, and I sure as hell haven't. I mean, do people mature out of movies, reading, fishing, listening to music, tv? Video games are just another form of entertainment and escape.

Sure, some people may not be able to play as often as they used to, but I don't think it's because they've matured out of it. But there's lots of people out there, so who knows!