• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
lets take an average build dog, lets say a Golden Retriever

though it varies by weight, age, and lifestyle, veterinarians recommend you feed a mid sized dog like this 2-3 cups of dry dog food a day

4.3 oz. per cup of food, so a 50 lb bag of dry dog food has roughly 160 cups

a 50 lb bag of Pedigree dog food is roughly 21-25 dollars depending on where you buy it

thats 50-54 days of food for one dog

costs 50 cents a day, give or take

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Remove "pets" from OP, add "kids." Now answer.
For me, kids I understand because you can look at that as fufilling some kind of goal society expects of you. It's typically seen as a sign you're successful by passing down your genetics or whatever. I mean yeah you have a kid because you want a companion as well, and they are way more expensive than a pet, but getting a pet, at least where I am in my life, is more bizarre. Like... in most cases you gotta go to a place and pick one out and then you get it. And it you can do it by yourself and no one has an real expectations for your relationship with your pet but you and I guess the person who gave you the pet and I guess the pet. That's SUPER different than having a kid. Like...that's not really comparable.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I'd rather spend money on my pets then anything listed in the OP.

Jan 7, 2018
For me, kids I understand because you can look at that as fufilling some kind of goal society expects of you. It's typically seen as a sign you're successful by passing down your genetics or whatever. I mean yeah you have a kid because you want a companion as well, and they are way more expensive than a pet, but getting a pet, at least where I am in my life, is more bizarre. Like... in most cases you gotta go to a place and pick one out and then you get it. And it you can do it by yourself and no one has an real expectations for your relationship with your pet but you and I guess the person who gave you the pet and I guess the pet. That's SUPER different than having a kid. Like...that's not really comparable.
Do you buy video games?

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hard to explain to a borderline sociopath, but I'll try. Dogs are fucking awesome, and taking responsibilty and caring for something that relies entirely on you will teach you valuable life lessons.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I find it odd as well that people want creatures shitting and pissing all over the house.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people want to have something to care for, usually this is a kid, sometimes it's a pet. It is emotional fulfillment. Once you figure out that having a pet makes your life better, and if you can support it, you get more pets.

People who realize pets are not for them can abandon those pets, and this is why we have strays.

OP you need to learn to love and cherish another life, or understand why some may desire this feeling.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to post this.

Also plenty of poor people have pets. It's not that expensive
the man-dog connection has been around for thousands of years

try harder

These posts are really shitty because I honestly wasn't trying to sound like that. From my point of view I just didn't see how someone decides to have a pet out of nowhere. I feel like some of y'all love to label people as some type of shit just so you can make them feel bad about their questions and whatnot. Like...really? Now y'all are questioning my mental health because of a question I was genuinely curious to hear the opinions of y'all about? That's fucking terrible.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
And before you say "It's not just animal it's a member of the family and I love him/her!" you don't. Well, to be specific, you don't love a pet before you spend substantial time with it. You are adopting/purchasing a pet to fall in love with it. Basically choosing to take care of an animal for 10-15 years until they die and you do something else. Not trying to sound sociopathic or anything, but it's weird to me to have so much money and use it on a pet when you could use that money to invest in your retirement fund, help pay for a relative afford college, pay off student debt, start a new hobby, travel a little bit... stuff like that.

How is that any different than having/adopting a child? Do you understand that for some reason but pets confound you?

Also, I think you vastly over estimate how long it takes for someone to become attached to a pet.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Dude I think you need to reassess how you see life.
And I wasn't saying I see life like this. I wasn't. I was saying I look at having a kid differently than getting a pet because the way society determines the importance of having a kid compared to having a pet. I have to say this up because I feel now posters are gonna jump on the post you responded to just to climb down my throat about what I said. I DO NOT LOOK AT HAVING KIDS THIS WAY. Not directing this towards you.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Not trying to sound sociopathic or anything
Failing. Humans have loved animals and wanted to keep them around for both work and affection for around 10,000 years or more. If you can't figure out why people might like to spend time with an animal, that says more about you than anyone else. It's fine not to personally want to, but finding it strange flies in the face of all of recorded human history.

Oct 25, 2017

I just don't understand how you can dismiss the value of the love and companionship a pet offers. The time/financial investments are worth it because the companionship of a loving pet is worth it, or in other words, priceless. People don't get pets out of "nowhere", they may already desire to want a companion that will love them unconditionally. The way you describe having kids is also strikingly soulless as well as being the worst reasons to even attempt it. If you go into having kids because "genes" and "it's what society expects", you're going to have a bad time. People have kids because they want to raise a family, to share and experience life and love with as they grow into adults, the familial bond that is also latent in the reason people get pets.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These posts are really shitty because I honestly wasn't trying to sound like that. From my point of view I just didn't see how someone decides to have a pet out of nowhere. I feel like some of y'all love to label people as some type of shit just so you can make them feel bad about their questions and whatnot. Like...really? Now y'all are questioning my mental health because of a question I was genuinely curious to hear the opinions of y'all about? That's fucking terrible.
Not everyone cares for pets. Don't worry. I think the issue people have with your statement is not seeing why people would enjoy the companionship of pets.

I like pets so I can't relate.

However, to use another example, I don't care for concerts at all. Yet I can understand why people like concerts.*

So people aren't questioning your preferences. They're questioning your ability to empathize.

*It's just an example. don't go nuts about the comparison.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Disposable income is nice and some people more so than others find that pets enrich their lives in an invaluable way.

Jan 7, 2018
I don't think you're a bad person or a psychopath, but i really don't get what you don't get. Like, in your OP you said pets are just an expenditure, but like, how are hobbies any different? You're on a video game forum, so I assume you buy video games at least once in a while, even if you're broke. Why is it so difficult to understand that people who like pets spend money on them, even if their financial situation is as bad as yours?
I'm not judging you, I just don't understand what's hard for you to understand.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you have to preface anything with, "Not trying to sound like a sociopath..." chances are you're going to say something that is something that a sociopath might say. If you can't pull away from that and see why someone might call you a sociopath for saying that thing, it's time to reassess.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
guys why are blind people so terrible with their money

yhyj8ie31wky.jpg

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
And I wasn't saying I see life like this. I wasn't. I was saying I look at having a kid differently than getting a pet because the way society determines the importance of having a kid compared to having a pet. I have to say this up because I feel now posters are gonna jump on the post you responded to just to climb down my throat about what I said. I DO NOT LOOK AT HAVING KIDS THIS WAY. Not directing this towards you.
Then it sounds like you make a lot of assumptions about how you think that other people think (or what society "expects"), when they are in fact not accurate. Why try to speak for things you have not experienced yourself? It's okay to not have a connection to something you don't understand yet. Don't presume that it can never be understood, or that people who do understand it are superficial or operate on some super cynical attitude.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
from your point of view how could you possible know that those people decided to get pets 'out of nowhere'?
People have given a good amount of reasons why they have pets in this thread, which are good to read. "Out of nowhere" to me is like... "I'm deciding to have a companion. Let me get a dog/cat." I'm over-simplifying that, but many people in this thread are saying companionship. The first place I consider for having companionship isn't getting a pet. That seemed like a huge commitment for companionship in my eyes.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think a lot of people who grew up with pets end up getting pets simply because that's what they're used to. I've seen plenty of people with dogs who don't seem remotely interested in actually interacting with them (beyond yelling at them to stop barking).

Of course, plenty of other people genuinely enjoy the company of animals who depend on them and dispense pure, unconditional love in return.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that complicated. I guess you've never had a pet?

Why spend money on one thing that could go to retirement instead? There are so many things you can apply that question to. Why did you get in n out tonight???

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017
Did you kill the neighbors pets as a kid?

Money is relative. What is a lot for you isn't a lot for another person. Plus you'll die eventually so try to find emotions and enjoy life without worrying about trivial shit like a $50 bag of dog food

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Then it sounds like you make a lot of assumptions about how you think that other people think (or what society "expects"), when they are in fact not accurate. Why try to speak for things you have not experienced yourself? It's okay to not have a connection to something you don't understand yet. Don't presume that it can never be understood, or that people who do understand it are superficial or operate on some super cynical attitude.
I mean for kids I get it because it's you and it took a relationship with you and another person to make. That's a deep ass connection and I know I don't get it because I don't have one. But that's super different than getting a pet to me. I don't understand why people bring that up as a rebuttal. A pet won't be around for the rest of your life. A kid, being that everything goes well, will. Like...it's literally 50% me and 50% a person I'm in love with. Why wouldn't I be more invested in that than a pet?

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not 100%. Cats are great! They shit in a box and are funny little dudes. Pupperinos tho....

It's called training? C'mon man, my dog knows to do it's business outside in the garden, like you know not to capsicum gas an office - positive and negative re-enforcement.

Anyway, have just spent several thousand on surgery for my dog for a torn tendon, when you see this pic OP, is the only thing you think / feel is that I wasted my money and could have bought myself some sweet consumer goods instead?

20181205_081048.jpg

EDIT

And there are literally millions on millions of people who were born without their parents having a deep ass relationship.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
People have given a good amount of reasons why they have pets in this thread, which are good to read. "Out of nowhere" to me is like... "I'm deciding to have a companion. Let me get a dog/cat." I'm over-simplifying that, but many people in this thread are saying companionship. The first place I consider for having companionship isn't getting a pet. That seemed like a huge commitment for companionship in my eyes.
I mean, it's not really hard to understand really. Companionship is the end benefit, but the originating point of attraction is almost always personal interest. Many people like animals, they research animals they like and read up about them, they start to develop preferences for what sort of animal and breed they might want, and they might see friends and family with pets and have played their pets before. This eventually leads to them getting a pet of their own either by buying one, adopting one, or bringing a stray home. And after they are committed to it, they keep at it because it's nice to have a routine, there's a personal bond, and it's amazing to watch something grow with you.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
OP, as I said before, we evolved as a species with dogs. We feel more secure (in general) when they are around. How much is a top notch security system? Even a small dog making noise can defeat a burgler.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
How, exactly, do you come to the decision to get a pet that's not "out of nowhere" to you, then? Because under what you consider "out of nowhere" would just apply to someone deciding to get a pet under pretty much every conceivable circumstances.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean for kids I get it because it's you and it took a relationship with you and another person to make. That's a deep ass connection and I know I don't get it because I don't have one. But that's super different than getting a pet to me. I don't understand why people bring that up as a rebuttal. A pet won't be around for the rest of your life. A kid, being that everything goes well, will. Like...it's literally 50% me and 50% a person I'm in love with. Why wouldn't I be more invested in that than a pet?

People can have emotional attachements and connections to pets, they're not just money pits that shit and piss all over the house.

It just sounds like this is a you problem and not so much an issue with pets.

aren't you the guy that microwaved spicy candy in a workplace kitchen, caused the place to get evacuated and fired as a result?

no wonder you don't get basic concepts like pets.

Oh my god, that's this guy??? I'm screaming.