• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I had an annual physical done and while I passed everything with flying colors I failed the eye exam. I think I can see perfectly fine and I can drive as such but apparently I need corrective lenses.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
My girlfriend has a bit of myopia and she just straight-up does not use her glasses anywhere but in classes. It's weird.

As someone who's been dealing with glasses since second grade, I'd recommend wearing them. Seeing things clearly is sometimes pretty cool.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Well, here's a thought: your only frame of reference for how well you can see is how you currently see. You won't know how much better your vision can be unless you try the glasses.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
My brother is supposed to wear glasses, and even just got a new pair, but he never wears them

He doesn't think he looks good in glasses and I guess he doesn't mind not being able to see

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid my doctors recommended glasses but never really pushed for it so my parents never got them. I didn't start wearing glasses till I was a teenager and I got pounding headaches, and my eyes felt strained and my vision noticeably worsened dcotors said I needed to start wearing glasses and then I started wearing glasses.

Once I start wearing glasses I was stunned at how bad my vision actually was.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Get the glasses. It'll take a little bit to adjust, but not as long as you'd think, and you'll be better off in the long run.

Plus, glasses look cool. Rock those things!

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to wear glasses but I don't need them. Everyone would rip the piss though so I don't

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
you don't need perfect vision to drive legally. IIRC 50/20 is the limit. Having said that, you should at least get them to try it out. You can always decide later whether you only need them in certain circumstances.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly a lot of times I don't wear them to go outside to, say, get some beers with friends or something.

I wear them always at home and absolutely when driving. I would die otherwise lol

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I have a very mild correction, where the doctor said "normally, i wouldn't even have glasses made for you", but my insurance covered an eye exam and a pair of glasses each year so we got them made. I'm only supposed to wear them when driving at night or when raining, but because I'm not used to wearing glasses, I tend to find they make things worse- i'm constantly touching my face cause i'm not used to feeling anything there which distracts me!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's a thought: your only frame of reference for how well you can see is how you currently see. You won't know how much better your vision can be unless you try the glasses.
Yup. Especially, since worsening vision is a gradual process. So you don't really notice it happening. I only knew i needed glasses because someone asked me why i was looking so 'mean' towards a group of people, when actually i was just squinting excessively to focus 😅

Also, there's many people who wear glasses only for when they really need them - like driving a car, watching TV, going to class.
Personally, I don't wear my glasses all day, but mostly in the aforementioned situations. For sports i wear contacts.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have prescription glasses and I wear them maybe 5% of the time - I basically wear them while driving (which isn't often, as I live in Chicago and don't own a car) and when I go to the movies, and that's about it. Otherwise I don't need them to see.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I only wear mine when I'm driving or watching tv, but I'm nearsighted.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
I wear contacts 24/7. I fully recommend going this way if you don't like glasses.

OP
OP
menacer

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I seriously didn't realize how bad my vision has gotten as a 30+ year old but in this case the doctor is right. I do have issues with focus and distance.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to not wear my glasses at work simply due to not wanting to ruin them, but after running a course of accutane, my vision without them has gotten significantly worse, so I had to buy a second pair.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I would literally crash without glasses so I have no frame of reference for "can see fine but needs correction". Like I literally can't see the lines on the road with the exception of the ones <5 feet in front of me.

My brother does have a pair he never wears so maybe he falls under that.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I should be wearing my glasses but I fell out of the habit awhile back. I don't like how they feel.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I should be wearing my glasses but I fell out of the habit awhile back. I don't like how they feel.

Same. The prescription isn't very strong anyway. I feel like I am constantly cleaning them when I do wear them. I even sprung for the coated lens that are supposed to repel dust last time.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I wear contacts 24/7. I fully recommend going this way if you don't like glasses.
You're only supposed to wear contacts 18 hours or less a day. They can do serious damage to your eyes if you sleep in them every day, and it'll also wear them out earlier. I'm surprised your eye doctor hasn't spoken up about this, as mine says it every time I go.

Risks of wearing contacts too long
Contact lenses that are left in too long can lead to the following conditions:
  • Corneal ulcers (infectious keratitis): An open sore in the outer layer of the cornea.
  • Hypoxia: A lack of oxygen that can lead to abnormal blood vessel growth into the cornea.
  • Damage to corneal stem cells needed to keep the cornea clear for good vision.
  • Chronic inflammation that can lead to contact lens intolerance.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
There was a period of time when I knew I was near-sighted to a degree, but was too apathetic to actually go do an eye exam. And then I started driving at night and very quickly realized that oh shit, I need glasses.

So I did an eye exam, got me some glasses, and had the typical "it's like I'm seeing in HD!" reaction that people do. Only time I have them off is when I'm at home.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I like being able to see. I think I look quite nice in glasses! Also fuck contacts. Two times.

It's always so nice to get a new prescription. Trees have leaves again!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I needed glasses when I was a teen, but that was the '90s and they simply weren't cool. So I didn't even order any.

The first time I put them one was like seeing HDTV for the first time. It was amazing.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i need glasses but i dont use them

i used to have them and sure they made the world less blurry but i didnt really get much out of it, then i lost them and havent replaced them

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
My near-sightedness is -1 diopters and I pretty much use my glasses only for driving a car, watching tv or going to the movie theater. I dislike the weight on my nose and I already got super light glasses and frames and yet I'm still bothered by it.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
you don't need perfect vision to drive legally. IIRC 50/20 is the limit. Having said that, you should at least get them to try it out. You can always decide later whether you only need them in certain circumstances.
It's 20/40 in the US, which is actually ludicrous to me. 20/40 is bad enough to have trouble seeing street signs and it's much worse at night.

You're only supposed to wear contacts 18 hours or less a day. They can do serious damage to your eyes if you sleep in them every day, and it'll also wear them out earlier. I'm surprised your eye doctor hasn't spoken up about this, as mine says it every time I go.

• Corneal ulcers (infectious keratitis): An open sore in the outer layer of the cornea.
  • Hypoxia: A lack of oxygen that can lead to abnormal blood vessel growth into the cornea.

There are varieties of contact lenses designed for extended wear, even up to a month at a time I believe.

May 10, 2018
I've been wearing glasses since I was 12 and at first I didn't like them but I definitely needed them. Good thing is my vision slightly improved and hasn't gotten worse since.

I always wear them. I'm pretty damn near sighted.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've shared this story before but I'll do it again. Almost 10 years ago my brother got married in Cuba and one night during the nightly show on the resort he noticed his new BiL leaning forward and squinting at the stage. My brother told him to try his glasses on because it looked like he needed them. He tried them on and said "Wait, is this how everyone sees? It's so much clearer!" and we all laughed. He got his own glasses a few weeks after we got back from Cuba. lol

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
My brother is guilty of this. I, on the other hand, have 20/400 vision without my glasses. So I don't have a choice.

Vision usually deteriorates over time. If you're young and need/have glasses but don't wear them, you probably won't be able to get away with it in 10 - 15 years.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Wear mine everyday when out if not home. Almost a safety concern without them. I wear glasses because my eyesight is not the best.

Sep 14, 2019
I don't wear my glasses often, even when I need to.

They're just a nuisance, but I'm also afraid of getting laser eye surgery, so I should probably just wear them.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017

When I started wearing contact lenses I was scared of this and asked two different eye doctors. Both said it only applies to short term contact lenses. Long term contact lenses are made to be worn even during nights. One of them even said it's actually worse if you remove them daily as it increases the chance of infection.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Been wearing them for about a year and a half now. I had to get them for a job, I didn't even know I needed them. I'm 20/50 nearsighted, so I mainly just have trouble reading things at a distance. When I work, drive, or go anywhere I'll use them. When I'm at home, exercise, or some other outdoor activity I don't use them. I don't mind them, I actually kind of like them now. They fit me very well.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've shared this story before but I'll do it again. Almost 10 years ago my brother got married in Cuba and one night during the nightly show on the resort he noticed his new BiL leaning forward and squinting at the stage. My brother told him to try his glasses on because it looked like he needed them. He tried them on and said "Wait, is this how everyone sees? It's so much clearer!" and we all laughed. He got his own glasses a few weeks after we got back from Cuba. lol

From what I understand, this is very common with glasses. Lots of people don't think they need glasses until they put them on and realize how much clearer their vision is meant to be. I've also heard this happen with someone who got a hearing aid, but I'm sure those are far less common just due to the difference in population of those affected.

He used to hear all sound at the same volume. Like his ears were automatically normalizing all noises in to a single mono sound channel. He thought he could hear fine, and never knew there was anything wrong with is hearing, and was resistant right up until he got his hearing aids (or maybe it was an implant? I forget now. It's been a while).

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've needed them since I was in 1st grade so I can't imagine a life without them. At the time I had no clue, but my teacher informed my parents I was always squinting at the board in class. If your vision has started to decline a bit, I would be surprised if stopped getting any worse than it is now, so if you don't "see it" yet, you probably will eventually. I don't know what the science says as far as getting ahead of it though (i.e. if wearing them will help prevent them from getting worse at all.. doesn't mirror my life, but fortunately they plateaued eventually with me around -5).

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Always wear mine. Something even just a few feet away is blurry to me without. I hated them when I first got them, but the adjustment period isn't even that bad.

Although I am crazy overdue for an eye exam. It's probably been a good 3-4 years at this point

XL Hoodie

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.
Yes. I'm a bit near sighted, and had glasses as a kid, but I quit wearing them in my teens. I just don't feel like my vision is bad enough that I need them.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
When I started wearing contact lenses I was scared of this and asked two different eye doctors. Both said it only applies to short term contact lenses. Long term contact lenses are made to be worn even during nights. One of them even said it's actually worse if you remove them daily as it increases the chance of infection.
I wear 30 day contacts and have since I was 14, and all of my eye doctors have said the exact opposite :/
Contacts aren't supposed to be in your eye. Your body rejects them. It makes sense to me that they should be taken out to let your eyes heal each day. But hey, you do you, I'm not an eye doctor so I can't tell you otherwise.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
From what I understand, this is very common with glasses. Lots of people don't think they need glasses until they put them on and realize how much clearer their vision is meant to be. I've also heard this happen with someone who got a hearing aid, but I'm sure those are far less common just due to the difference in population of those affected.

He used to hear all sound at the same volume. Like his ears were automatically normalizing all noises in to a single mono sound channel. He thought he could hear fine, and never knew there was anything wrong with is hearing, and was resistant right up until he got his hearing aids (or maybe it was an implant? I forget now. It's been a while).
My dad refuses to even get his hearing checked. We all know his hearing isn't good but he hates the idea of having one. Dude worked in a loud printing shop for 25+ years before he retired so it's not like it's a stretch his hearing is fucked.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I remember when I first got glasses when I was about 25 and it was fucking amazing. Everything was so sharp and more 3-dimensional. It was like when you first put on VR goggles and all you want to do is look at stuff.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
Get glasses and leave them in your car if you really don't want to use them regularly. When you get your glasses prescription get a contact lens prescription too just in case.