• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like the Matrix Sequels?

• Yes, they're like wiping your ass with silk.

Votes: 162 52.6%
  • No, it's not fair!

Votes: 146 47.4%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
All my life I've heard people crap on The Matrix sequels, but I've always enjoyed them. To me, they're great, especially Revolutions. Hell, even my parents enjoyed them and they are picky, dumb movie watchers that can't want anything too "out there" otherwise its classified as "nonsense" and thus not worth their time. You can't get them to sit still and watch the Star Wars films. Yet, they are all in for The Matrix and its sequels. They particularly love Reloaded and the Keymaker. Why? I have no idea. But they just love that character.

I particularly love the sequels as they expand the scope to show the full breadth of the War with the Machines and its conclusion. It also gets high points for its fucking magnificently diverse cast. One of the few films where the last bastion of humanity actually looks like the last bastion of humanity. Zion is completely diverse. Plus, they got Cornell West as a member of the ruling Council. CORNELL WEST. Come on, you can't hate that. I'm also a sap so all the love/romance shit

So, am I just a lone crazy man or do others really enjoy the sequels? And if you hate them, please explain why you don't like them.

RIP Captain Mifune
, went out like a boss.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
The Matrix Reloaded gets a lot more stick than it deserves. I think it's a halfway decent action film, thanks especially in large part to the highway portion of the film. I honestly enjoyed it and get a kick watching it so often.

The Matrix Revolutions, though, there's no polishing or saving that turd.

That said, I'm going in for 4 day one. No question.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I saw both opening day in the theaters. They had stylish fight and action scenes, also great soundtracks, but I never had a desire to rewatch them.

They were amazingly mediocre and underwhelming.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The ending to Revolutions is terrible and there's some dumb shit sprinkled throughout, but I really like both sequels as well. They're more in the "fun flick" camp than in the "masterpiece" camp, though, unlike the original.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Matrix Reloaded is the best of the 3 movies. Everything about it is better, cooler, deeper than the original. Revolutions is nice and I love the different direction it took but I can understand that it wasn't Matrix enough for some.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The ending to Revolutions is terrible and there's some dumb shit sprinkled throughout, but I really like both sequels as well. They're more in the "fun flick" camp than in the "masterpiece" camp, though, unlike the original.

Why?

Only thing I dislike is the bloated action sequences, shit needed to be cut down.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
My issue with the sequels is fundamental. At the end of the first movie Neo is literally omnipotent. I remember distinctly the first time I saw the movie thinking it was a good movie but weird that they had written themselves into a corner for a sequel. When I heard a sequel was coming I was curious how they would get out of it.

Their solution for getting out of that corner was completely unsatisfying, and frankly, a joke. The way I see it, the end of the first movie should have been the end of the third movie.

Also, both sequels were dog shit.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I hated them when I was younger and *cared* about the series and it's *meaning*. I recently gave all three a rewatch, though. The 2nd one is ok if you go into it wanting nothing more than a popcorn movie with some wild action scenes. The 3rd one was actually much more solid that I remembered. It didn't live up to the first, but it felt much more grounded than the 2nd one, that's for sure. I feel like it did a great job of conveying what it looks like to step BACK and to view the matrix from a holistic point-of-view, without going absolutely crazy like the 2nd.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I saw both sequels multiple times in the cinema and can still recite key scenes after watching them at least 10 times at home. I re- watched them on the 10th anniversary of their release and loved them. Problem is I've seen them so many times I've exhaused myself.

So yeah, I like them. Hugo Weaving is a beast in that series.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
They had entertaining elements but overall they were lacking.

The biggest issue was going from 1 ship vs 3 agents + faceless goons to this bloated sprawling epic.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're entertaining and have a lot of bold, interesting ideas that are not common in blockbusters. A lot of time and effort was put into them; they're not cheap cash grabs. The problem is just the pacing, really.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
There is a cut called The Matrix DeZionised that cuts the two sequels together into one film and gets rid of most of the Zion stuff....It was actually pretty good.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Matrix 2 and 3 are fantastic sci-fi blockbuster films and legit entertaining throughout with crazy good spectacle.

No, they're not as good as the first. No doubt about it. But very, very few films, period, are as good as the first Matrix.

PreciousThankfulIberianchiffchaff-size_restricted.gif

main-qimg-d49b88dd4c4916dc5f218fdffe99ba18

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I saw all three films (and Flight of Osiris) in theaters on release, watched Animatrix the second it came out, etc. I like all three movies.

There's no question IMO that the first is the best film, but of trilogies in that general time (SW prequels, LotR, Matrix), it remains my favorite.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Revolutions is terrible but Reloaded has its moments.

Matrix 10/10
Reloaded 7
Revolutions 3

Reloaded loses points by suggesting Werewolves and Vampires and going nowhere with it, and that stupid orgy scene.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the second one but don't remember anything except a highway scene where they were fighting on a truck or something. I didn't see the third at all. Probably watched the first movie 50 times on my PS2. The sequels had such negative hype around them at the time. Might be worth looking at now.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm a huge Matrix fan and while I think that while there's loads of good stuff and some really big ideas in both of the sequels even I'd admit that they are very self indulgent and very self important.

I remember cringing in the cinema watching Reloaded and listening to the monologue from the chap in the chair explaining everything and I could feel people in the cinema becoming more and more restless.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people kind of overcompensate in defending them, which puts them on a higher pedestal than is realistic and just creates extreme opinions on both sides. The reality is that they're disappointing when compared to the original (which is damn near perfect), but Reloaded is decent and Revolutions is fine, and that's totally okay. They certainly aren't trash, but they aren't some misunderstood genius that deserves to stand alongside the original either.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're not as good as the original (what could be?), but I still highly enjoy them. There are some fantastic action scenes. The biggest issue with Reloaded is that they got a bit too heavy handed with the story at parts.

The chateau fight scene is top tier; one of the best in modern cinema. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The sequels are only "okay". The original has a whole world of mystique to explore using your imagination. It also doesn't help that they have to turn up the "arms race", when the first one kind of sets Neo up as unstoppable.

The first is just such a phenomenal film that it was going to be difficult for any sequel to live up to it.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Stop being such nerds. They are fine.

The first one is a landmark. Hard to top, too much "first ever stuff".
I fondly like Reloaded, and Revolutions has great memorable moments too.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I like them all. They're just movies, it's not that serious.

Besides Animatrix, Enter the Matrix was supposed to be connected to the movies too
u2nYvA6.gif

Last edited:

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2 and 3 could never reach 1. But taken for what they are, they are pretty good. I enjoyed them then, and enjoy watching them now.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My issue with the sequels is fundamental. At the end of the first movie Neo is literally omnipotent. I remember distinctly the first time I saw the movie thinking it was a good movie but weird that they had written themselves into a corner for a sequel. When I heard a sequel was coming I was curious how they would get out of it.

Their solution for getting out of that corner was completely unsatisfying, and frankly, a joke. The way I see it, the end of the first movie should have been the end of the third movie.

Also, both sequels were dog shit.
This right here. I had the exact same reaction and it made Reloaded a major disappointment, even if it had been better in general and didn't have a shitty cliffhanger ending. Turning Neo's transcendence of a false reality into just getting some superpowers is so goddamn dumb.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reloaded is pretty good, the highway sequence is one of the best of the trilogy. Revolutions is a hot pile of garbage.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Overall I like them. There's some slow parts I could do without, or a least cut down. Reloaded's Zion Scene was too long, the architect's plot dump would have been a better "show don't tell" moment. Otherwise I loved the action and regularly put the movie on.

Revolutions was underwhelming mostly because there's too much stuff they try to explain. I almost think it would have been better if it was two movies. The trainman stuff didn't make much sense without some reflection and some spotty inferences but the Merovingian Club scene is a great callback to the first movie's column fight. The middle drags a bit with a bunch more exposition about the Source. The finale worked for me (live action anime fight ruled, fight me), Mifune is god tier heroic sacrifice and it's a shame we didn't get more from him. The "Agent Smith leaves the Matrix" bit raised more questions than answers but the actor nailed Hugo's Smith mannerisms. Easily the weakest of the trilogy but the action is too good for me to hate it.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen them in forever but from my memory Reloaded is pretty good but the 3rd one loses me completely.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Matrix Reloaded is awesome but Revolutions not so much.

The chateau fight and highway chase are top tier action scenes.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell, the thumbnail of the OP video is like 80% of why the third movie is garbage. That guy screaming KNUCKLE UUUPPPPP and those ugly mechs.

Anyway the second movie is great. Good fight scenes.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I like to pretend both sequels don't exist and there is just the original movie. Not everything needs to be expanded into a full blown cinematic universe. They told stories I didn't care about. The Animatrix isn't bad though.

They are fine as action movies but the original is both a great story and a great action movie.