• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I find in most cases I can avoid leaks and try to. It might spoil a game announcement, but generally not the game itself. The 3 spoiler areas where I'm most effected:

- Developer sharing too much in previews. Example - Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog's E3 presentation basically gave away the biggest (and maybe only major) set piece in the game in basically full playthrough. The game was an incremental improvement over others in the series, so losing the most shocking/entertaining moment ahead of time hurt things.

- Youtube content creators giving away spoilers in their video titles to get hits. When you've watched info about a game before these may be unavoidable as Youtube's algorithm will generate them in your recommended feed and you don't need to click or watch to be spoiled.

- Myself looking on game threads here, and being tempted to look at spoiler text - hoping for just a piece/hint of something and reading some major story revelation - that's really on me though.

Jul 7, 2021
Leaks not. It is in fact often the official overexposure of a game that kinda ruins the experience for me, like Nintendo sometimes does (e.g. Super Mario Odyssey). I have been avoiding these exposés ever since.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Depends on the game. If I had seen the stuff for Pokemon then maybe?

For leaks, I try and avoid most of them and it seems to be an easier thing to just pass by.

A whole game could get leaked and I find it easier to miss it than I would a regular old spoiler.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
No. Unless it's a major story spoiler for a narrative-driven game anyway. Other wise I don't care about seeing gameplay surprises and what not as story is the main draw to most games for me.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Kinda yes, Kinda no.

Kinda no because I will still enjoy it regardless.

Kinda Yes because, if its something that lingers in my head I cant stop thinking about it while playing.

I prefer not knowing too much of games I am sure I want to play nowadays. Going in with little knowledge of a game that turns out to be great makes for a special moment. So I'd rather not spoil myself for that extra enjoyment.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
In general, no.

However, if I'm trying to go into the game fresh and the leaks are too juicy, then it's the same as any other spoiler.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Only a major/intriguing plot twist would bother me, but I literally don't use social media outside of Era and a few very specific hobbyist sub-reddits, so I've never seen a gaming spoiler or leak in my life.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
For me, it depends.

Story leaks generally aren't cool. Pokémon leaks I have enjoyed in the past, but there's something about the volume and speed of the SV leaks that got to me this time.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I see leaks as ultimately a net positive for consumers. The more you know about a product before you buy it, the better. Given that publishers use their advertising and other methods like embargo dates against consumers, I can't say I feel guilty when information about a product makes its way out to the public in an unofficial capacity. The information that comes out of them also seems easy enough to avoid if you aren't interested in it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Nothing bothers me. Could be the most important twist and I'm still hyped.

Jun 16, 2019
With Pokemon specifically, due to the way they did staggered releases in the past I'm not at all disappointed with the leaks that are happening right now. i always enjoyed getting an idea of what types of creatures I can find and some of the new mechanics I can expect. However, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is releasing soon and I'm really starting to walk the tightrope between getting some gameplay element leaks and true story spoilers so I'm going to avoid looking into that any more until I have the game in hand.

For the most part I don't mind looking through leaks for a game because it's not much different than looking for more info about a game after release to decide if I actually want to buy it.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
If it's story related then yes it does ruin it. If it's about characters or items or something in the game like a fighting game then no. I play Genshin Impact a lot and I don't mind spoilers when it comes to what characters are coming to an upcoming banner or a feature coming to the game as those actually help me plan. I just avoid anything to do with the story.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Only story leaks, but even then it doesn't bother me THAT much unless it's like, spoiling a big twist or the ending. Like, I got spoiled on the whole Joel thing in TLOU2, but it didn't really bother me because all things considered, it's a pretty early spoiler, and it made me start asking a thousand new questions.

Pokemon? Hell nah man, leak that shit all day errday. It's Pokemon, I wanna see the new monsters!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I get just as much value out of reading a thread title here as I do watching a direct/press conference. It makes no difference.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game and type of leak (gameplay or story).
For example leaks about some parts of an open world game or some gameplay features won't ruin the game for me, but those huge leaks of TLoU2 as a story-based linear game destroyed the game for lots of people. I mean playing TLoU2 with or without being spoiled are two completely different experiences without a doubt.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
Not even a little bit. I've never read or seek out a leak related to a game I was excited about.

I remember how everyone was acting extra after the Last of Us Part II leak, but I avoided them at all costs and was able to find out the "twist" by myself when I actually played it. Had no idea about the story before then.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. If it's story spoilers it's usually easy to avoid, if it's other info it just informs me more.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the enjoyment of consuming media is the sense of wonder that accompanies it. If I knew exactly what happened in, say, Infinity War before going in, it absolutely would've harmed my enjoyment of that movie. Same thing with story based games. And you can't expect people to "stay off the Internet" until they're able to personally experience something. So yeah, leaks actively hurt my enjoyment. I understand I'm in the minority here and that's fine.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Only a story leak, and even then eh. I'm still pissed at a guy on GameFAQs who PMed me the ending villain of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies the evening before the game's US release. He knew it was my most anticipated game of the year and disliked both me and the series, so he looked it up on a Wiki. Didn't make me enjoy the game less to a significant level but it did harm that moment at the end a little.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's a very story heavy experience like a VN or adventure text game, then fuck ass no.

I don't play games to be "surprised" by anything lol. Like oh no, I now know about what some of SF 6 roster is gonna be....okay cool lmao.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the pre-Elden Ring meta-narrative around the early leaks was almost as fun as the game itself. I had a blast in the many leak/discussion discords leading up to the game.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Depends on the game and depends on the leak. The last of us part 2 one definitely took the wind out of my sail as I it was my most anticipated game in years and having already known that going in as the even though I avoided the leaks here the youtubes algorithm had to screw me. It was disappointing to know that so far in advance of the game butt something like pokemon, mario, and zelda it doesn't really matter as its been following the same formula for decades and the only real curveball is when it strays from the norm.

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers hurt my enjoyment obviously, but I mostly don't mind leaks.
Leaks about gameplay and designs just build my hype.
Leaks about a game existing are great too.

Leaking all of the announcements of an event right before it starts hurts the hype of the event, but not the actual game.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For existing games, it hypes me up for future content and what to look forward to. I dislike playing a game that provides no roadmaps whatsoever.
When it comes to new release games, it's not a big deal to me as well. In the end we're just waiting for trailers and such which are basically ads to attract consumers to the product.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
If it's story related, I get really mad but I still can enjoy the game. That basically was my experience with Trails games, the fanbase loves to throw spoilers out of nowhere.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I guess no, simply because I just don't look at them ever. If there's a leak thread on here, I usually hit ignore so I don't even see it.

I think links, generally, can be harmful though, especially when tidbits are leaked without context and people start foaming at the mouth over them. I also feel bad for folks working on things that have stuff ruined because of leaks.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Really bad spoiler leaks suck, but I can't even think of any other than TLOU2. And even then, for me it's a very capricious and temporary thing. The window of time between getting spoiled and getting to directly experience it myself feels like shit, but after I've played the game it's like everything gets all mixed together in my brain and I almost forget it was spoiled. When I look back on TLOU2 now, it's all just one story. It doesn't really matter anymore that I found out who Abby was and what happened to Joel ahead of time. Same thing applies to movies.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a player, no, i love them. As a dev, oh my god I hate them so much. Especially when a leak is recieved poorly due to the leaker miscommunicating or talking out of their ass.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
The Pokemon Legends: Arceus leaks got to me to buy the game, lol. Might have helped though that the marketing had been poor, my expectations were low, and that the details were actually painting a much, much better picture than what I was expecting (and the game was awesome, too). With a lot of leaks out there though, especially for stuff you're excited for, reading them runs the risk of disappointment, as well as that disappointment being made worse by how the leaks are presented.

As a player, no, i love them. As a dev, oh my god I hate them so much. Especially when a leak is recieved poorly due to the leaker miscommunicating or talking out of their ass.

This sounds terribly annoying to deal with.