• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I had never even really heard of the Marvel heroes until the movies, growing up Batman and Superman were on TV all the time so I knew a lot more about them. Now we have plenty of Marvel hero shows, cartoons, movies etc. and only a few DC ones besides reruns of the older ones + whatever streaming services have.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Batman will never not be popular.
If we're talking kids, Spider-man is definitely more popular and Ironman probably has him beat these days but doubt Cap even comes close. The same for Superman probably, except there cap might be more popular right now.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Kids still care about Batman for sure

Batman and Spiderman are ip that no matter how bad DC or Marvel botched them all generations will keep coming back for more.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Batman will never not be popular. Spider-man and Ironman probably has him beat these days but doubt Cap comes close. If we're talking kids.
Spider-Man has always been the most popular* by far. Like, to the magnitude where he sells more than the next 3 most popular superheroes combined.

* When you take into account merchandise sales, blah blah.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I had never even really heard of the Marvel heroes until the movies, growing up Batman and Superman were on TV all the time so I knew a lot more about them. Now we have plenty of Marvel hero shows, cartoons, movies etc. and only a few DC ones besides reruns of the older ones + whatever streaming services have.
Going by what backpacks and lunchboxes kids have when I drop mine off at school, the Batman and Spider-man logo are both still crazy popular. The Superman one and Captain America's shield barely appear in comparison. I suspect both being tied to US iconography means they translate in terms of appeal a bit less easily worldwide.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Batman doesn't need to be in movies to be huge.

Conversely, I don't think many people born after 1995 care about Superman at all.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Absolutely, our almost 6-year-old is into everything superheroes, especially Batman (and Spider-Man). Even if they aren't as present as the MCU right now, don't forget there's also stuff like the LEGO Batman movies/games, toys, clothes etc.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Man I didn't even care about Superman and I grew up in the 90's. I can't imagine how kids today could be arsed.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
it's tragic, but no one like superman anymore

kids gonna ride 2021 out in Shang-Chi costumes and be like batman who

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I never really understood the appeal of superman, and I seem to see that sentiment a lot. But they still make movies with him, so it must appeal to someone out there.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They don't and they shouldn't. They can keep the kiddie Marvel stuff while us REAL adults enjoy the cinematic mastery and deep, mature storytelling of The Snyder Cut.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Batman and Spider-Man are tops with kids under 10 in my opinion. Batman still has a big line of imaginext toys that do very well and spider man just seems to be understood easily by them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How do they even learn about/grow attached to them these days? Or is it just one look at the costume and they're sold?
Mostly through their friends having clothes and backpacks etc with the logos on, plus the toys, cartoons and the crazy-popular Lego computer games that adults into action games and films aimed at them don't play. Generally, Spider-man works for kids as Peter Parker/Miles Morales work on their own as a power fantasy for children, exploring your growing strength in your own neighbourhood as a playground. That isn't as detached for them, and is full of stuff closer to being relevant to them like parental relationships etc, than brooding, hyper-capable and resourceful 30-year-olds tied into big business, politics and government operations.

Last edited:

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
How do they even learn about/grow attached to them these days? Or is it just one look at the costume and they're sold?

My son's love of into superheroes started at the age of 3. We were in the supermarket, he saw a Spider-Man Titan Hero figure, grabbed it off the shelf and wouldn't let it go. Just something about it spoke to him. Batman was next.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
My son's love of into superheroes started at the age of 3. We were in the supermarket, he saw a Spider-Man Titan Hero figure, grabbed it off the shelf and wouldn't let it go. Just something about it spoke to him. Batman was next.

Think that's how it works, cool design hooks you in. During the comics boom of the late 80's to the late 90's I'd find new characters through the trading cards then seek out their books. It's how I was introduced to Deadpool and Ghost Rider.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Kids love super heroes. Of course Spider-man is probably the most popular one but I haven't seen a kid not know who Superman or Batman was.

Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood the appeal of superman, and I seem to see that sentiment a lot. But they still make movies with him, so it must appeal to someone out there.
Watch the first few episodes of Lois and Clark from the 90's, if that doesn't give the character some appeal then nothing will.
I never go it either until I watched it before BvS released.

Last edited:

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Watch the first few episodes of Lois and Clark from the 90's, if that doesn't give the character some appeal then nothing will.
I never go it either until te.
Alright, I must admit I haven't really dived deep into him other than I bought the Red Son comic (which I still haven't read) so it is totally possible that there is some compelling stuff out there.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Superman just suffers from poor media products i.e. nothing kids can truly enjoy; movie, TV, or cartoon. They did do Justice League Action, which was shortlived. They really do a disservice to Superman as a whole, honestly, and I'm not even his biggest fan. Sometimes I think they just need to go back to basics for kids with Superman - he's strong and saves everyone. Done.

Even the toys suck. They follow the MoS movie colours, and so to a kid they probably look dead compared to Captain America and co. Just look at the toys on a shelf, the Superman toys that follow the movie colour tone look awful and boring. Even compared to Batman, and that guy wears black and grey, yet he looks cool on a shelf! They need to go back to classic Superman, using the lighter blue - navy New-52 blue at max, but not the MoS colours. Shifting a moment to the adult market, MAFEX released Batman and Superman based on the Hush comic. Superman looks awesome! Kids need more of that sort of look.

maxresdefault.jpg

Anyway, the fact is Disney are killing it with the way they handle their properties and merch right now. Warner is struggling even there for everything else that isn't Batman - they introduce lots of new lines that get canned quickly from poor pickup. From what I heard, there tended to be a real lack of interest from retailers in DC property, especially Superman (all based on MoS look, FYI).

That said, LEGO does give DC a boost where their other media may not perform as strongly, so there's that. But I doubt that performs all that strong either. Would love to know.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Yep. I'm a Marvel guy and we read Marvel comics, but my kid's favorite is Batman and Superman. It used to be Hulk.

DC always has the better cartoons. From Superfriends and Justice League to Teen Titans and Young Justice. My kid loves those.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Batman 100%

Superman is kinda boring these days, he really needs some good movies.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason why Batman was a main character in The Lego Movie. Kids still love him. Heck, there's a lot of Fortnite stuff that's batman related as well.

Now Superman? Hmm... I dunno on that one, not really having many good Superman products for kids for the past... decade? 2 decades? Thats probably hurt his popularity.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think kids under 10 no, its been a while of nolan trilogy and i dont think batman vs superman and league of justice made it popular to kids

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I must admit I haven't really dived deep into him other than I bought the Red Son comic (which I still haven't read) so it is totally possible that there is some compelling stuff out there.
I never really liked Superman until I watched it,
It just made me see him a different way.

Like yeah Superman can be a boyscout, overpowered and goofy.... but thats the entire point
He's just a good kind person that puts on a persona to help and inspire people.
Thats generally boring/overused but he is Superman, he's allowed to be that archetype.

That show letting Clark be more than a goof disguise and not having the budget for crazy action just framed Superman is a way that changed my entire view.

In it they establish that Clark flys home once a week to sit down and have a meal at the table with the Kents...
Thats my "Superman"
Calling to borrow money and such...
love it

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There's a reason why Batman was a main character in The Lego Movie. Kids still love him. Heck, there's a lot of Fortnite stuff that's batman related as well.

Now Superman? Hmm... I dunno on that one, not really having many good Superman products for kids for the past... decade? 2 decades? Thats probably hurt his popularity.

Last time I remember really thinking Superman got a good shake was Justice League Unlimited in like... 2005?

And even then I'm not sure if that was a hit with kids. I was already an adult and enjoyed it quite a bit, obviously, but in my own childhood it was basically just the transition from the excellent years of Batman: TAS solo show to the more mediocre Batman/Superman hour, and I think on some subconscious level I always blamed Superman for making the Batman episodes worse. (Look, I know it's not his fault, but I was a kid, and Superman getting bundled with Batman coincided quite heavily with what I saw as a precipitous drop in quality of animation and themes for Batman TAS.)

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i don't think kids care about any american superheroes where i come from. Movies are for teenagers/young adults and comics aren't sold.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My son (2) adores Spider-Man and Captain America. Between children's books and Disney+, he's encountered much of the Marvel cast.
my daughter (5) knows all of the major Marvel players from various shows/books, but she does have some interest in DC thanks to that DC Super Hero Girls show, which is surprisingly entertaining.

Batman feels a bit too mature given the grim nature of crime in his tales, and I'm not sure where to start for Superman. Marvel just seems more accessible and kid-friendly

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Batman is easier to adapt for today's audience but Superman is full of untapped potential. Maybe someday they can get it right. I'm not very optmistic about the upcoming CW series.

I wish they had moved forward with the proposed Superfamily series, maybe that would have been the right step.

TtMMcS7.png

A well conceived and executed animated series can make all the difference in a property like this. It's how an entire generation became fans of X-Men who might not have been exposed to it otherwise.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Batman and Spider-Man are still the tops. They both probably beat out the entire MCU as a single franchise when it comes to merch.

Rimpim

Banned
Feb 7, 2021
I really don't know.

I personally didn't / don't give a fuck outside of Batman and Spiderman.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd put Spider-Man and Batman on the same level of marketability. Superman though...definitely not as much. I mean, he's easy to market to kids just because it's Superman. His suit color matches a room and his powers are iconic enough for kids to want to imagine they are him. But he's also this universal thing that is a non-offensive product that is easy for parents to go, "my child wouldn't mind this, I guess." I think I've seen more adults with the S logo as tattoos, shirts or on cars than I have of kids actively seeking out Superman merchandise.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Spidey is so much easier for a kid to get into. There's endless generations of animations, games and toys. Has been #1 with my boy by far.

Batman was a thing with him when he was younger, despite there being very little traditional media for him to hook on to, but he wouldn't really know what Batman was if it wasn't for Lego.

Lego movies and Lego (plus Imaginex) toys are Batman for him. Recently he tried to watch some Batman movies with his mum and bailed when two-face scared the shit out of him. Think the most into anything DC he's been was Teen Titans Go.

Superman is nothing to him. He knows far more about what I'd consider pretty obscure Marvel characters than anything Superman. But then he's seen endless hours of Marvel stuff, has more toys than he knows what to do with and has played tons of games with literally 100s of Marvel characters (those Lego games we platinumed together... damn).

Right now I'd say he's as much influenced by the characters he sees in games as anything. Only Batman he's seen in a game is via Lego but completed Miles (actually beat me to it, I was busy doing side stuff) and played a lot of the first Insomniac game. If he's dressing up as someone it's been Rico, Mando, Jin Sakai, Master Chief or something recently.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No idea how representative this is of the country as a whole, but there was a poll via Visit Anaheim last year and the Top 5 was
1. Superman
2. Spider-Man
3. Batman
4. Captain America
5. Iron Man

in that order.

I believe Spider-Man is the most popular superhero worldwide, followed by Batman. And for personal anecdotes, I was shocked at how popular Captain America was in Taiwan - merchandise all over the place.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe kids would like Superman more if DC would give him another solo cartoon after his last one ended over 20 years ago.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I have a 3 & 5 year old and spider man is the current big draw. Lego Batman got them interested for a little bit but spider man has stayed around.

I have not introduced them to superman but that is on purpose, he is trash.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Snyder has done so much damage to these characters. I definitely think Gen Z kids care more about Marvel compared to DC.